(Topic ID: 309660)

Son needs help w/"C" Programming assignment. Tutor needed (fast)

By iamabearsfan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CBook (resized).jpg
    2022-02-1721.37.223380997622096685046.jpg
    20220217_202134 (resized).jpg
    popular-programming-languages.gif
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.24.00 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

Post the question and compiler/linker errors and we'll have at it.

#5 2 years ago

Mostly with C if it is a linker error the external function cannot be found and needs the .h header file included where the call is made or I guess the external dll needs to be imported where the call is made. Header inclusion must be properly ordered as well relative to other headers. All C functions are global, it actually is the reason C++ needs to deal with global functions, because C came first. All newer invented languages are in class implemented and encapsulated. Why are they still teaching C then? To segue into C++?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Start at the top, and work his way down. Might be missing a semicolon, and breaking other stuff later. Also count curly braces, and make sure each opening one matches the correct closing one.

Something like that would show up as a massive amount of compiler errors.

#8 2 years ago

I think that last time Cobol programmers were needed in force was for Y2K issues with existing Cobol programs? I think Cobol programmers were raking it in around the year 2000.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

C# is basically C which is basically C++.
    And yes; C, C++ is used everywhere. I know someone is going to say C# isn't C... but you can argue all you like... the syntax of the language is identical. The only difference is C# is a little newer with more layers; but the language syntax is the same.

Ummm. k.
    Seems like I use my computer skills all the time. I use my programming logic learned in college every day. I use my electrical engineering skills learned in college... many times a week.
    So no; I disagree with you in every way.

.NET has interops (layers as you say) and in-class implementation and require a class object for the function call. C is global functions exclusively. .NET imports type libraries and dlls, C uses headers mostly and that can be complex. Managing memory in C is a skill, .NET does it for you.

C++ data structures like the STL template library obsolete the need for C low level allocation of memory and pointer/iterator movement and needing to know where the /0 (null terminator) is. Do I need to mention C++'s CString? CString does allow for low level C type memory manipulation but for those less inclined, higher level encapsulated string manipulation as well.

In summary, the higher level languages like .NET probably open the industry to different kinds of people that would not like C's low level architecture.

Personally I got great satisfaction out of C programming at the beginning of my career and after awhile I liked just focusing more on C++ logic than C syntax. That said, I have a lot of respect for C programmers, it takes a lot more coding to do some things the higher level languages do for you.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

C functions are scoped, not global. Depending on where they are defined, depends on the scope. Because they are usually defined in the header files, they usually are global. Unless you make them as part of the object that you define.

Do you mean C functions can be scoped in a struct? Yes that's a good point but needs clarification. A C function pointer can be scoped inside a C struct but not function implemented there. It's not the same as a high level class in that manner.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Command line for the target, but modern UI while coding. I don't need any overhead that making it windows friendly. If I don't have a debugger, then cout is how I see how things are working. Displaying numbers so I see what's going on, and building inside out to make sure everything works.

MFC or Windows API :: global function calls? MFC has a lot of overhead, but that's the difference between Fred Flintstone using his feet to get his car started and turning a key to do the same. Much respect though for people who code it the tougher way.

#64 2 years ago

C Programming Language by Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan is the one you want.

CBook (resized).jpgCBook (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/son-needs-help-w-c-programming-assignment-tutor-needed-fast?tu=KozMckPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.