(Topic ID: 151429)

Sometimes you just decide to make vs. buy

By P2K

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cig_holder_sm2_(resized).jpg
    cig_holder_sm1_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I needed two cigarette holders for a woodrail pinball game. The new ones sold by PBR are easy to get but are best for rounded rails, not the flat rails that I have. They look out of place on a flat rail.

I took a shot at making a couple of them. It took about 3 hours.
    They aren't exactly like the originals but they work perfectly for me since it's not on an original woodrail game.

They are made from 1/16" aluminum flat stock and the forming jig is oak. It lasted just long enough for the two pieces.
    A metal jig and a hydraulic press would be needed to look more like an original and make more pieces.

cig_holder_sm1_(resized).jpgcig_holder_sm1_(resized).jpg

cig_holder_sm2_(resized).jpgcig_holder_sm2_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

looks great!. I am sure others would be interested in this.

#3 8 years ago

Nice work. I love making my own stuff!

#4 8 years ago

Excellent concept and nice work, on the piece and the jig, but 1 question. Couldn't you use your arbor press and make the rounded ends of the PBR ones flat?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Excellent concept and nice work, on the piece and the jig, but 1 question. Couldn't you use your arbor press and make the rounded ends of the PBR ones flat?

Yes you could do that. What is likely to happen though is the chrome will crack or show signs of distress. Eventually the chrome would fall off, or at least not look right.
    The arc is quite high so it would be a lot of flattening.
    I didn't want to gamble on the $25 from PBR.

Thanks.
    Alan

#6 8 years ago

Looks great on your game. Nice job!

1 week later
    #7 8 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Eventually the chrome would fall off, or at least not look right.

Yep you're right, I thought they were polished - not chrome.

#9 8 years ago

Looks Great Also if anybody is interested, PBR does make the flat ones. I just put a set on Nags

#10 8 years ago

Tell the kids it's for holding carrot sticks while they play

faz

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sometimes-you-just-decide-to-make-vs-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.