(Topic ID: 125819)

Something very strange in Alien Invasion tonight (TSPP)

By brad808

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jahkub
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My question is this: There is 100% no other way to clear alien invasion except for locking 5 balls correct? I know TSPP has all kinds of tricks up it's sleeves but under no circumstances and no combination of things happening or secrets will AI be beat without locking 5 balls?

Here is what happened. Playing a decent game on TSPP, get to alien invasion, lock 4 balls, get to 5 and then fail to beat it. I proceed to get to alien invasion a second time during the same game (Which I've done a few times but never to my knowledge had this happen). I have maybe 3 (may have been 4) balls in play and about 17 seconds left on the clock, all the sudden flippers die, the 6 piece mini wizard mode puzzle comes up and says I cleared AI? I finish my game off wondering what happened. I'm sure my switches are all working and I definitely wasn't up to 5 ball the second time through AI. I check my audits, sure enough no count on 5 ball lock? I thought hmm maybe I cleared one of the other puzzle pieces during the AI so I went back to the puzzle and checked it was definitely middle piece on the right hand side (which is alien invasion). Now I'm stumped. Can anyone school me on this? No different rules or anything the second time through? I didn't even see any adjustments for AI in portals.

Edit: I just thought of this but is there any way a lock could have been awarded to me somehow without physically locking a ball in?

Update: I can't recreate this no matter what I try so my only verdict is that I must have been mistaken somehow.

#2 8 years ago

Never seen anything like this. Sounds like something got confused.

#3 8 years ago

I have no idea, but I'm praising your pinball skills to get to AI twice in the same game.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Never seen anything like this. Sounds like something got confused.

That's where I'm at too. I've never seen or heard of any other way to beat AI other than physically locking 5 balls. My personality is such that I'm going to have a really hard time just letting it go as a one time fluke. Even if by some strange occurrence switches malfunctioned and accidentally awarded ball locks to get to 5 then surly the audits would have reflected that. Like I said, I'm stumped on it.

Quoted from Dewey68:

I have no idea, but I'm praising your pinball skills to get to AI twice in the same game.

Thanks . Unfortunately getting to it and beating it are two very different things for me haha. Who knows maybe if it is uncovered that there is in fact another way to beat AI then it may become more common for me.

One more thing I'd like to note incase anyone was wondering I'm on software 5.0

#5 8 years ago

It must have timed out. Did you hear the "ah we are defeated" when it's beaten? I love AI, I usually beat it, and think it may be the best MB in pinball.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It must have timed out. Did you hear the "ah we are defeated" when it's beaten? I love AI, I usually beat it, and think it may be the best MB in pinball.

There was no call out from what I recall. It acted as if the mode had timed out other than the fact that there was still time remaining and the mini wizard mode puzzle came up and cleared AI.

I feel like I must be crazy, it seems like the most likely scenario and easier to explain . The problem is that I had two onlookers watching me play and I was explaining to them the mode and I had just finished saying "see where it says 17, that's my remaining time" when it all happened. Considering they don't know how the game operates (or care for that matter haha) they can't verify my story. The easiest way for me to sleep at night might be to tell myself that I got distracted telling them what was happening and time went by faster than I remember. As for the puzzle piece maybe that was my mind being wishful lol.

100% agree with you on the fact that it's one of the most fun (and frustrating) modes of all.

#7 8 years ago

I'm just throwing this out there:
Maybe its a bug where the ball capture number isnt reset after not completing AI? If this was the case, you had 4 captured on first AI, requiring you to need only one more. On the 2nd AI, you stated you had 3(maybe 4) balls in play... If you locked only one more, then my theory could be true?

FWIW: I havent owned TSPP, nor do I know the rules that well

#8 8 years ago

I don't believe anything else can be combined with this, but I wonder if something else was also counting down as well.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I'm just throwing this out there:
Maybe its a bug where the ball capture number isnt reset after not completing AI? If this was the case, you had 4 captured on first AI, requiring you to need only one more. On the 2nd AI, you stated you had 3(maybe 4) balls in play... If you locked only one more, then my theory could be true?
FWIW: I havent owned TSPP, nor do I know the rules that well

It's a reasonable theory that some locks may be counted from a previous ai. I will try to recreate it at some point. I actually folded my games up last night after playing due to me moving in a couple days but hopefully by next week I'll have them all set up again and I can test some things.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't believe anything else can be combined with this, but I wonder if something else was also counting down as well.

From previous posts by Keefer there is only one clock in the game and it's impossible for one mode to be at 10 and another at 20. As far as stacking things with AI I'm not 100% sure what is possible to be run at the same time. I've run daredevil mania, which I'm sure most have. I'm quite sure I've had secret stash running, then started AI and had stash continue. I'm curious about what else carries over. If hurry ups carry into AI then I can see potentially being awarded a lock for getting a run of 4 hurry ups (pretty sure 4 is a lock) completed.

#10 8 years ago

I can't recall what is possible in it. I'm usually so focused at trying to beat AI, that I don't notice anything else.

#11 8 years ago

Bowen's rule sheet states that AI can't start until all 7 modes are started and timed out.

Which leads me to a small non-important thing to wonder about. Say you start your 7th mode and finish off the shots with time on the clock. But before the timer runs out you light otto and hit the otto shot. Are you able to start AI if all the modes are completed but the clock hasn't hit 0, or do you specifically need to let the timer hit zero? I would assume it needs to hit zero but haven't played enough to notice.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I've run daredevil mania, which I'm sure most have. I'm quite sure I've had secret stash running, then started AI and had stash continue. I'm curious about what else carries over. If hurry ups carry into AI then I can see potentially being awarded a lock for getting a run of 4 hurry ups (pretty sure 4 is a lock) completed.

You can play (and finish) SS and DD during Alien Invasion - in fact, if you're having a hard time locking balls, sometimes it's better points-wise to work on these instead during AI. Are you sure you did not see either of those finish on the SDMEWM screen, and not AI?

You do not get any AI locks from completing Secret Stash hurryups themselves; but locks that are also hurryups will obviously count for both.

You cannot combine anything that uses the clock with AI. No TV modes or Ottos or Treehouse modes. I cannot remember if the timer must be zero before starting AI, or if starting AI simply ends the timer and all running modes immediately (I suspect the latter).

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You can play (and finish) SS and DD during Alien Invasion - in fact, if you're having a hard time locking balls, sometimes it's better points-wise to work on these instead during AI. Are you sure you did not see either of those finish on the SDMEWM screen, and not AI?
You do not get any AI locks from completing Secret Stash hurryups themselves; but locks that are also hurryups will obviously count for both.
You cannot combine anything that uses the clock with AI. No TV modes or Ottos or Treehouse modes. I cannot remember if the timer must be zero before starting AI, or if starting AI simply ends the timer and all running modes immediately (I suspect the latter).

Unfortunately I am sure, now I feel like one of those people that claim they saw Bigfoot :-\. I'm not taking about locks from secret stash I'm talking about locks that are awarded for completing regular cbg hurry ups. Under normal playing conditions starting exactly 4 hurry ups and hitting them will award a lock. I'm curious if those carry over into AI.

If someone is so inclined maybe try this scenario out. If not I will try and test it once my games are moved. Here is what I propose to test (probably much easier with the glass off ):

-Start all modes and light alien invasion (but don't start AI just yet)
- hit cbg 4 times and take note of which hurry ups are active
-start AI
-hit the 4 shots associated with the hurry ups that were lit regardless if they are still lit or not
-see what happens

#14 8 years ago

So I got my game set up again and tried to recreate this. Tried doing the hurry up thing and starting AI but nothing. Tried getting to AI and locking 4 balls then draining on the 5th then getting back to AI a second time, nothing. My final verdict is that I must have been mistaken somehow. It doesn't seem like there is any other way to beat AI other than physically locking 5 balls.

#15 8 years ago

Hopefully Keefer will see this and chime in. You could also try and PM him.

3 years later
#16 5 years ago

Soooo, really old thread but I just had the same thing happen to me with the exception that I did hear the victory call-out and saw the invasion won animation, point total, and wizard mode board clearing.
V.5.0 rom, no known switch errors.
I was having a terrible invasion and was still on stage 1 with ~15 seconds remaining, one ball was locked in Otto and the other on the upper playfield. After hitting a stand up target, suddenly the flippers died and it said I won with just over 6M points total.
It was my first go at AI during that game and I never made it past stage 1 so the above theories don't hold. This is the only place I've seen this bug mentioned so I thought I'd mention that it happened to me too.

4 weeks later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I'm talking about locks that are awarded for completing regular cbg hurry ups. Under normal playing conditions starting exactly 4 hurry ups and hitting them will award a lock.

CBG hurry-ups don't have anything to do with Locks.
Not sure what you're seeing here.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

CBG hurry-ups don't have anything to do with Locks.
Not sure what you're seeing here.

I'm not sure how to tell you this, but... Might want to reread that rule sheet, heh.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I'm not sure how to tell you this, but... Might want to reread that rule sheet, heh.

Whoa. Really? Please share. Never seen any connection in who knows how many games.
Also did a text search in rule sheet for CBG, comic, and lock, and didn’t read anything regarding a connection between CBG and locks.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Yeah I've never seen any connection with the CBG hurry ups and ball locks either. What's the connection?

I'm a mediocre player who has never locked more than 4 balls in AI, so I'm not doubting the guy who wrote the rules.

However, I find Secret Stash to be one of the easiest mini wizard modes to complete in TSPP (<-which in my opinion is still the best game ever made. )

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

TSPP (&lt;-which in my opinion is still the best game ever made. )

I agree!

#22 5 years ago

Just follow the games Keefer has touched and you'll see a trend of great games.

1 week later
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

Soooo, really old thread but I just had the same thing happen to me with the exception that I did hear the victory call-out and saw the invasion won animation, point total, and wizard mode board clearing.
V.5.0 rom, no known switch errors.
I was having a terrible invasion and was still on stage 1 with ~15 seconds remaining, one ball was locked in Otto and the other on the upper playfield. After hitting a stand up target, suddenly the flippers died and it said I won with just over 6M points total.
It was my first go at AI during that game and I never made it past stage 1 so the above theories don't hold. This is the only place I've seen this bug mentioned so I thought I'd mention that it happened to me too.

Even though it was over 3 years ago I think I will be able to sleep just slightly more comfortable now lol. Thank you. It seems like there might be some very rare bug.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Even though it was over 3 years ago I think I will be able to sleep just slightly more comfortable now lol. Thank you. It seems like there might be some very rare bug.

Maybe there's a flipper cheat code we accidentally activated?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/something-very-strange-in-alien-invasion-tonight-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.