Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wellarmed
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well, this could sound really stupid but here goes. I've had my CV for about a year and have played it hundreds of times. I found out yesterday by sheer dumb luck that all 3 of the WOW inserts were not lighting. I'd never noticed it before, mainly because there is a DMD animation showing your WOW progress, but it never occurred to me that the WOW inserts were not lighting. The 3 socket lamp board mounts right at the back of the large hole for the ringmaster and gets a lot of vibration. There is one connector on it that has 4 pins. THREE of the 4 pins had cracked solder joints. Easy solder fix, but getting that board out is a pain. You have to drop the motor mech that raises and lowers the Ringmaster.

I wonder if this is common and if others like me just don't realize that the WOW inserts are supposed to light up?

#2 10 years ago

No stupid questions/observations regarding pinball repairs--these are pretty complicated machines with a ton of variables.

A proactive step to perform periodically to spot such malfunctions is of course T9 (All Lamp Test).

Happy tinkering/flaw spotting.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I wonder if this is common

Very common on any pin to have to reflow the pins the connector plugs onto on light boards.

Gravity and vibration are tough on them.

When I totally shop a pin, I remove all of them for cleaning and reflow the pins before I put the light boards back on. So I don't have to worry about them for a long time.

LTG : )

#4 10 years ago

I had to reflow the pins on my WOW light board when I got my CV a couple of years ago. I had one flakey light under the WOW inserts, so I pulled the board and yup, cracked solder joints. It's probably a pretty common thing for CV, and a good thing to mention, so I'd say you made a good post!

#5 10 years ago

I guess I will be looking at mine this week.

#6 10 years ago

Same deal on mine, cracked solder joints. Re flowed and all is well

#7 10 years ago

I played my Theatre of Magic for months until I realized the flashers had never worked.

Added LED's, fixed the flasher circuit, & it was like a brand new game after that

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When I totally shop a pin, I remove all of them for cleaning and reflow the pins before I put the light boards back on. So I don't have to worry about them for a long time.

I do the same .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/something-to-check-on-your-cv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.