4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

#Mystic
    Something is rattling when the ball goes through the right spinner. And when the ball hits near the spinner and the stuff around it.

It really sounds like the spinner could be hitting the metal spinner frame, but only once when the ball first breezes through. The spinner spins so fast and smoothly that it doesn’t seem possible that the spinner is what is really doing it. It spins like crazy.

It sounds like a small metal washer hitting the glass. Or two little washers clinking together. Don’t know how else to describe it.

It might be coming from the lower pop bumper right by there, but it works great, too. Hard to believe it has a problem.

I’m starting to think the loose part is under the playfield. It’s louder with the coin door open. Unless that is a new, different rattle, of course.

With everything (above the playfield) tight, what in the world could it be? What is the trick to tracking down an elusive rattle?

#4 4 years ago

There's nothing around there under the playfield that moves, besides the arm to the spinner. It spins like crazy, so I will try to stop worrying about it.

When I posted the question, I was expecting some wise pinball arcana, like the spinners have to be balanced or some such. I think I’m over thinking it.

Still, why one spinner would make the noise and the other doesn’t bugs me. I’m blaming this on my lack of high scores. I’m playing as a game tester, not as a player. That's my story and I’m sticking to it. (I blame the music when I shoot lousy darts, too. )

1 week later
    #6 4 years ago

Cleaning the glass fixed it.

Lemme explain...

There isn't anything to rattle near there under the playfield. Everything is tight above the playfield.

The only difference between the right spinner, which goes "tink!" when you hit it, and the left, is that the right spinner is right next to the captive ball. (Also, something would go "tink!" occasionally from the lower pop bumper which is right near there, but it works great and everything on it is tight.)

Anyway... my happy thought was that it could be the captive ball settling a little when anything near it was hit hard. So, to test the theory, I removed the captive ball. Tested several shots to the spinner. No "tink!"

Of course, things sound differently with the glass off, so I cleaned the glass and put it back.

I played the game hard for at least an hour. No "tink!". Not once. The only logical conclusion is that cleaning the glass fixed it. The data is all empirical and stuff.

Or, maybe it was cleaning the balls. They were cleaned, too.

Unfortunately, there are some dim bulbs, so I will need to mess with lamp sockets. But I dare not touch the thing, lest it starts going "tink!" again. Fortunately, I have plenty of glass cleaner.

#8 4 years ago

I’ll take “Things that make you go ‘Hmmm’ “ for $800, Alex.

1 week later
    #10 4 years ago

Turns out— it must be the glass. I’m careful to always put the glass back the same side up and same end toward the backglass, and I haven’t had a problem since.

Too weird.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/something-s-rattling-?tu=undrdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.