8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Collin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I just got back from league night at Flippers, and while I was there a couple came up and introduced themselves to us. They have been collecting since '05 and have 9 machines in their house. They live in the same town as me. They don't go to shows, don't listen to podcasts, and don't really talk on forums (although they had heard of Pinside). The crazy thing is their collection is....get this.....MM, TOTAN, SC, TZ, STTNG, SS, MB etc. They buy and shop out machines together, and had fun playing pins all night together.........I have met people in this hobby from all over the world, so I found it strange that there are people in my neighborhood with a collection like that, that noone knows about........so cool meeting new people in this hobby.

#2 8 years ago

Yes he does!

#3 8 years ago

I think the majority of players in Portland league aren't on Pinside at all.

Quite a few on tilt.forum though.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I think the majority of players in Portland league aren't on Pinside at all.
    Quite a few on tilt.forum though.

I agree with this. I go to shows or make craigslist buys and I rarely run into someone who is on pinside, if ever. A few here and there at shows when I ask, but 0 on craigslist buys and a lot of those CL buys people will have 10+ pins in their basement.

#5 8 years ago

I think a lot of people on pinside/rgp really don't understand how small of a percentage we/they really are in this hobby. A lot of people in the hobby never participate in the online aspect of it. Lots of people out there with very nice collections who keep private.

#6 8 years ago

Yah, well, what fun is a hobby without being able to get belligerent on the internet?

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Yah, well, what fun is a hobby without being able to get belligerent on the internet?

This is exactly the opposite effect of "League Play". As a kid in the 80's, all I knew was "Arcade Play". In the 2000's, all I knew was "CL Buying/Selling". In 2010's, I've enjoyed both; the real, and digital experiences.
    We are living in the digital era, but pinball is all about the physical experience. If you haven't joined a local league - DO IT.

#8 8 years ago

Tilt Forums is focused on tournament play, whereas Pinside is more general hobby / collecting / restoring.

I find that the two types don't really cross as much as you think - tons of league players have no interest in fixing or restoring games, and tons of hobbyists have no interest in competitive play.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

This is exactly the opposite effect of "League Play". As a kid in the 80's, all I knew was "Arcade Play". In the 2000's, all I knew was "CL Buying/Selling". In 2010's, I've enjoyed both; the real, and digital experiences.
    We are living in the digital era, but pinball is all about the physical experience. If you haven't joined a local league - DO IT.

I'm mostly joking... Though I do enjoy forums for most of my hobbies.

I'm actually in a local league and a state-wide league, plus I play on location. Leagues are an experience not to be missed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/something-rare-in-the-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.