Something I didn't know about LOTR

By Nuclear_Waste

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

There is a flasher bulb behind the ring. Did you know that? I sure didn't. I guess a lot of them fall out.

Sure enough, I looked back there and the socket was empty. Now I just need to get a bulb for it!

Thanks to Rarehero for pointing this out!

#2 10 years ago

That's great, nothing like the feeling of replacing a flasher that you didn't notice out or that you had! I have a purple flasher behind my ring currently, I like to mix it up.

#3 10 years ago

Does it flash with the bumpers or any other flasher, or by itself?

#4 10 years ago

Get the 5 sided flashers from cointaker. They have a good brightness and put the light in all directions so it will do a good job of lighting the ring.

#5 10 years ago

Spinner hits make it flash.

#6 10 years ago

Never had one fall out but they do seem to burn out a lot.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Never had one fall out but they do seem to burn out a lot.

I had the regular bulbs burning out and that is why the LEDs are a perfect choice for the ring and pop bumper applications. They are not disturbed by the vibrations in that area like the filaments in incandescent bulbs.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=999&categoryId=8

#8 10 years ago

got a picture of this area where this should be?

Chris

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

got a picture of this area where this should be?
Chris

In the owner's manual it is on page 97 (items 2 and 3).
The socket is attached to the ring's ball trough behind the backboard on the left side of the ring.
The bulb sits vertically.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks, I will check mine out tonight

Chris

#11 10 years ago

White or red?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

There is a flasher bulb behind the ring. Did you know that? I sure didn't. I guess a lot of them fall out.
Sure enough, I looked back there and the socket was empty. Now I just need to get a bulb for it!
Thanks to Rarehero for pointing this out!

You got it, baby!

I don't think it burns out much, but also check the one behind the eye-mirror thingie behind the tower on the right. It's a really cool effect - the flasher makes the eye appear. That one works best with incandescent, IMO.

#13 10 years ago

I'm not sure the previous owner of mine knew it existed either. I got the game and didn't find out until I found it mentioned in a tech thread months later.

#14 10 years ago

I didn't know this either! Sweet!

#15 10 years ago

FLASHING RINGS FOR ALL!!!!!!!! WOOOO!

Oh, and if you have the extended attract mode turned on, you'll see the ring flash (with the rest of the playfield dark) whenever the ring is mentioned in the story text on the DMD.

#16 10 years ago

I used white in the ring and red in the pop bumpers. It is all personal preference.

#17 10 years ago

I didn't realize mine had one either until I was running through the flashers test and saw it come up in the menu.

#18 10 years ago

I found that flasher when I played someone else's game. It went off and I was like Hey, mine doesn't do that?!? Next day mine did. It still makes me smile that I didn't even know it was there.

#19 10 years ago

I didn't even notice it was out. Could have been out for ages for all I know. Was exciting to see it flash with spinner hits.

In any event, it's the little things

Thanks for sharing.

#20 10 years ago

Checked mine and it was also blown out and has been for the entire 6 months I've owned this game. Tossed an LED in there last night - what a difference. Much appreciated!

#21 10 years ago

Mine too, thanks for flagging this, had no idea. I put an incandescent 906 in there, but it seems to be craving an led...my next order from coin taker.

#22 10 years ago

I put a blue LED in, there is also a bulb behind the eye behind Sauron's tower fyi

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You got it, baby!

Thanks, uh...baby?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/something-i-didnt-know-about-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.