• Latest reply 12 years ago by lonnkor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

balloon-landing-in-a-minefield-while-w.jpg
#1 12 years ago

There is a gent asking if I'd give my WOZ number up (506). He posted that he got married in Kansas with his choir playing "Over the Rainbow" while he and his bride were to hop in a hot air balloon and sail away.

Apparently there were high winds that day, and he convinced the hot air balloon pilot to take off in 40mph winds. The balloon wound up across a highway stopping traffic, and the wedding was on May 6th. (506).

I chose this number because it's the date of Frank L. Baum's death, and was on the death certificate of the wicked witch in the movie. Although you can't see it, it's the 19th anniversary of his death. I did a little research to pick a number that fit the game. Now I'm a bit torn, because this does seem more dear to this man than I. Arrrrgghhh. What would you do?

#2 12 years ago

Are there any close second choices for you?

#3 12 years ago

So your number 506 VT8man. I read his story on the WOZ site. Its totally up to you but I dont think you should feel guilty if you decline. Did he state what number he wants to trade you for? If its much lower than you would receive your machine sooner. Something to consider.

#4 12 years ago

well what was the trade off?
what WOZ # does he have?

#5 12 years ago

I could personally care less about the number. I didn't request anything specific, and to be honest, I can't even remember what number was assigned to me. If you can make the other dude happy by giving him your number, I say go for it.

#6 12 years ago

sell it to him. ^_^

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you can make the other dude happy by giving him your number, I say go for it.

Exactly, he never gave me his number. I never really got a list when I picked mine, I just picked one out there since there was about 400 or so machines already reserved. Looked up some trivia and picked a number I liked. I don't know, I'm spending a lot of money here though.

I figure he's a little late in the game here. I guess I should find out....

#8 12 years ago

think he got stuck with 666 ?

#9 12 years ago

I feel you should keep your number.

You did the homework in choosing that specific number,
it's fate that you got it.

Reminds me of what happened to me once at a movie.
My wife and I got to theater on time, got seats where we like
to sit at, her on the end aisle. A woman that shows up late asked
us to move to accomodate her and her friends. I said NO, we got here
On time, you're late, too bad.

I gotta be honest, lack of planning on their part does not make
it an emergency on my part.

If you want to be the hero nice guy of the day for them, you could
exchange numbers. If not, no need to feel guilty, keep your number.

#10 12 years ago

That gent's story sounds almost too outlandish to even be true, lol.

I mean come'on, "his choir singing Over the Rainbow", gimme a break.

#11 12 years ago

Although I'm sure this is already known, I really doubt that machines are going to be built and shipped in numerical order. It's far more likely they will be built and then have the appropriate number plaque affixed and shipped in purchase order - so invoice number will determine how quickly you get yours, not machine number.

We're picking a vanity plate here.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Although I'm sure this is already known, I really doubt that machines are going to be built and shipped in numerical order. It's far more likely they will be built and then have the appropriate number plaque affixed and shipped in purchase order - so invoice number will determine how quickly you get yours, not machine number.

This is true. The assigned numbers have no bearing on when your machine will be built and delivered. People were given a choice when it came to numbers, they are like vanity plates. Most likely the machines will be delivered based on when you ordered and geographical and shipping considerations.

As for giving up your number, do whatever you want. You did the homework and I can see why you'd want to keep it. I understand the other guy asking, he may as well give it a shot. But I wouldn't blame you if you said no.

#13 12 years ago

If he has the money to pull off that special of a wedding and it means that much to him, he should be willing to buy the number from ya or to setup a trade for a number you want.

#14 12 years ago

keep the number, it has special meaning to you also and you got it first.

#15 12 years ago

I was not aware of how it actually worked so thank you for setting me straight, and for doing it in a nice way. I have a high number but ordered fairly late so I am waiting no matter what. Thats ok. Its going to be worth it.

#16 12 years ago

I understand that this guys story appeals to your feelings of generosity and kindness but, the fact remains that you've invested alot of time and forethought in picking a number that has meaning for you as well. I also realize that his situation probably seems a bit more emotionally important than yours but, fact is if this was that important to him from the start he had the same options you had and didn't act. Don't feel bad, what do you think that machine will mean to him down the road should he, (and I don't mean to wish him ill will), get a divorce....NOTHING but, for you the meaning has no strings attached, KEEP IT!!!

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from VT8man:

Looked up some trivia and picked a number I liked. I don't know, I'm spending a lot of money here though ....

Your situation is different than mine. In my case, I didn't choose the number. I suggested giving the guy the number in order to make him happy, but that was because I was assuming that the number wasn't very important to you. If having a machine with that particular number on it will increase your happiness, I see no reason to give it up. As far as selling the number to him, I wouldn't go that route. Either give it away, or keep it.

#18 12 years ago

Here's the post from the WOZ owners group.

"This message is for Bayless, WOZ #506. My name is Craig, I too am a
pre purchaser of WOZ. The reason I am reaching out to you is because
of your WOZ number. I do not know if #506 has special meaning to you,
if so disregard my request. If not please consider this request. My
wife and I were married in Kansas on May 6th (5/06). It was a rather
interesting departure from the church. We left from the grounds of
the church in a hot air balloon as "Some Where Over the Rainbow" was
being played on the piano and being sung by our choir. The balloon
pilot did not want to fly because the Kanas winds were blowing pretty
strong. I talked him into flying and he wished he hadn't. The 40
MPH plus winds made for an exciting flight (longer story) and much
panic on his part. It all ended when he crashed the balloon into the
side of a freeway embankment (the only hill in sight). The balloon
envelope came down across all lanes of traffic on both sides of the
freeway stopping all traffic. The drivers were quite surprised to see
my wife in her wedding gown and me in the tux thing come staggering
out of the basket.

Anyway that was a bit of a long story to get to my request if you
wanted to swap numbers. I completely understand if this does not work
for you."

Not be nit-picky either, but the the song title is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...lol

I asked him for his number to see, he hasn't replied yet.

#19 12 years ago

VT it all comes down to what action you feel is right and what will make you feel good inside as a person. If any number will suffice for you and helping this individual helps you feel good about yourself inside then you should do it. The world is full of those who could care less about the plights of others; I have a feeling that the short time I've been a member of pinside has taught me that there are still many very extordinary people left in this world and that most are fellow pinballers.

#20 12 years ago

If it means that much to him would probably do it but ask for a sweetener i.e plastics., parts, anything that might he might have ( small stuff ) ......we all collect lots of stuff so guessing he must have something!

#21 12 years ago

I wouldn't do it.

Something's just not quite right.

If you consider giving it to him, ask to see the marriage license at the very least. It also sets off alarm bells that he isn't offering you anything in return. If it was so important, he would have said "we can work something out", or offer something back to you to represent the value of the number.

If it were me, I'd keep the number. I'd also entertain an offer for compensation for giving it up.

#22 12 years ago

He didn't sound too pushy on it. Sounds like it's up to how generous you feel. Like others said, I'd want something to verify like a picture of them leaving in the hot air baloon with the choir there

#23 12 years ago

For all we know this could just be a troll wanting to get your number for kicks. Scams like this seem to run rampant with pinball. Like Firebaall says, get some proof first.

#24 12 years ago

use your gut feeling if the number means alot to you then keep it. but the way i see it is the number gonna change how good the game plays its going to play the same wether you have 506 or 906. i would talk with the guy a bit it doesnt sound to far fetched to me and if it is he has to live with that guilt. i believe alot in karma if you do this man a favor wether or not if he is making it all up something good will come your way. just my opinion some people may agree some may disagree. goodluck! i just wish i could get me a WOZ.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

For all we know this could just be a troll wanting to get your number for kicks. Scams like this seem to run rampant with pinball.

Are you suggesting that the guy really has no desire for the number at all, and is simply doing it to see if he can mess with someone? This seems highly unlikely to me.

#26 12 years ago

Tell him to send a wedding photo and let him have the #!

#27 12 years ago

The guy in his message to you said if the #506 has any special meaning to you to disregard his email. So if thats the case i'd just let him know. Seems like a pretty strange story for someone to make up to get the #506 anyways.

#28 12 years ago

I fly ( hang gliders ), and wind is my friend and foe. No one in their right mind would go up in a balloon in 40+ mph winds. Maybe it is true and he is exaggerating a bit, but there is no way that happened the way he said it did. Try putting your hand out of a car at 40 mph and let it hit something. No one walks away from that in a balloon. Maybe he has a really good reason for wanting that number, but be honest. It's just a game

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from VT8man:

I do not know if #506 has special meaning to you,
if so disregard my request

End thread. just ignore him and be done with it.

#30 12 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse, it gets better. Looks like he's for real?

"Bayless thanks for getting back to me. I tried to type my personal
email into my original post but google groups would not let me. So I
will try this "rolllingcave" and it is at yahoo.com. If this goes
through you can contact me there. If not I have been working with
Katie English at JJP her number is 732-364-9900 extension #2. I have
told her if you contact her to give you my email address.

I have not selected a number yet in the hopes of getting 506. Katie
said she would let me pick any number that was available.

I have tried to find a way to post a couple of photos of the balloon
adventure and crash but I could not figure out how to do that. One
more interesting aspect of the balloon flight, the pilot was desperate
to try and land the balloon in the high winds. On his map he saw an
open area that looked good in our direction of travel. As he lowered
the balloon and we were preparing for landing we could read the signs
that this was a live bombing area no trespassing unexploded ordinances
may be present. Needless to say this upped his level of panic as our
adventure continued.

Thank You very much for considering my request,
Craig "

#31 12 years ago

If the guy is lying, you have to give him credit for coming up with such an elaborate story!

#32 12 years ago

http://imageshack.us/

Not hard to host pictures, then again, he might be having trouble googling "balloon landing in a minefield while wearing a tuxedo" pictures.

lol

#33 12 years ago

Found one!

balloon-landing-in-a-minefield-while-w.jpgballoon-landing-in-a-minefield-while-w.jpg

Okay, I admit it, the tuxedo is kind of hard to spot but believe me it's there!

Just joking of course. My feeling is that the dude is genuine. Wether that is reason to trade numbers is ultimately your decision. If you don't care about your number then why not make someone happy. If you think you might regret that decision then don't do it.

#34 12 years ago

Not that I care, but... The balloon came down near a freeway, as was stated earlier and there were signs that could be read from someone in a balloon at 40mph that said that there was an active bombing range in the area? Something smells here. Most bombing ranges in the US are not near highways as far as I know. I would also assume that balloon operation are not set up near bombing ranges in general since they have no real way of directing their path except up and down. I do like the story though.

#35 12 years ago

I tried to get 666, couldn't, a friend got 904 from the 904 area code.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I tried to get 666

nice number of the beast if i was buying one i would have wanted it. LOL

#37 12 years ago

Not giving up lucky #13 .. hehe

#38 12 years ago

I say that you should hang onto your number. If it meant that much to this guy, he should have gotten on board right away. Snooze you lose! Of course, if he were to pay to swap numbers that would be a different story... Capitalism FTW!!!

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

I wouldn't do it.

Something's just not quite right.

agree

Okay, he just changed his email, he doesn't have his own number yet but he asked you
to "swap", he can't talk on the phone for himself, doesn't know how to email a picture,
and he can't prove his story.

Don't do it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 91.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-wants-my-woz-number and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.