• 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ghdfghdfghdfghdfghd.png

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I was at the vets with the wife and cat (Eli) waiting for the doctor forever. Cat was pretty sick. I was thinking "where is the doctor" then started to tell the wife about how Dr Who is known for being annoying for the loud screechy call outs...."where is the doctor....the doctor has been eliminated" etc.

Then was playing it that same night....last game of the night....I come upstairs....she is glaring at me and says......did you get my texts? I said heck no, i was playing Dr who, I didn't hear anything.

I check my phone to see this. So funny i had to post it.

ghdfghdfghdfghdfghd.pngghdfghdfghdfghdfghd.png

P.s. it was on the lowest volume setting LOL

#2 9 years ago

As my wife would say: "Is it a pinball machine? Then it's annoying."

#3 9 years ago

you might want to edit her number off the pic?

#4 9 years ago

OK, I'll say it: "Doctor Who is annoying!"

#5 9 years ago

Lol... number still listed.

This should be interesting.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

No need. She doesn't like pinball, she is in little danger of picking up a stalker from this site.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Lol good call. Work number too. Hopefully that worked ok.

#8 9 years ago

Her phone has not rung yet so I might be safe. If not I'm sure I'll be getting another string of texts

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

No need. She doesn't like pinball, she is in little danger of picking up a stalker from this site.

sorry no.. respectfully suggesting that condoning public posting of phone numbers is poor form mr moderator... there are some seriously deranged pin*** out there .. its 2 years time when some clown gets it in for him that it becomes a problem not now.

#10 9 years ago

I don't mind the brisk pace or a Dalek or two. Its the obstacles that I hate!

#11 9 years ago

Dalek in the corner pocket!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

P.s. it was on the lowest volume setting LOL

Is your volume control set to the factory default?
The factory default only goes down to 8.
You have to change setting A.1 28, to be able to turn the volume all the way down.

#13 9 years ago

Yes I discovered the way to go below 8 a month or so ago. I don't know why you need the extra steps to turn it down.

#14 9 years ago

Dr Who is a great game but the Dalek voices are pretty hard to listen to while playing. I imagine that having to those things roaring from the basement while trying to relax would make most people a little annoyed.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Yes I discovered the way to go below 8 a month or so ago. I don't know why you need the extra steps to turn it down.

Simple, operators didn't want the sound being turned below 8, thinking the game might not be noticed if other bar patrons couldn't hear it.

#16 9 years ago

Fun game, terrible theme.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

Is your volume control set to the factory default?
The factory default only goes down to 8.
You have to change setting A.1 28, to be able to turn the volume all the way down.

Oh wow! I had no idea. Yes I am stuck at 8. Ill adjust that for sure and let the wife know. She will be happy

#18 9 years ago

This is certainly a game that I can't stand. I don't like the show, I don't like the sounds, I don't like the artwork, I don't like the playfield layout. There is also lopsided scoring, and I honestly feel that half the playfield is wasted space. It's like 90% annoying to me.

#19 9 years ago

The Dalek callouts is really the only bad thing. I really like the game but agree that part of the game even though well themed is annoying.

That said I would love to add it to my lineup. Just no Sub or fidelity speakers

As mentioned turn max volume over ride on and turn it down. Play all night and practice the upper flipper ramp loop. Also focus on abusing each doctors ability for your intended goal each ball.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

sorry no.. respectfully suggesting that condoning public posting of phone numbers is poor form mr moderator... there are some seriously deranged pin*** out there .. its 2 years time when some clown gets it in for him that it becomes a problem not now.

I don't disagree. But he did post it himself and then fix it.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't disagree. But he did post it himself and then fix it.

yep all fixed .. last weeks news now

#22 9 years ago

I took my kids to get ice cream many years ago. They had DW there. We played a couple games. People sitting at a booth about 20' away asked us nicely if we don't play the game. They said it's annoying. We respected that.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

So funny i had to post it.

I must admit that the part I find funniest about those texts is that there are 6 texts sent over a period of 7 minutes, with no response to any of them - given that the message wasn't getting thru, wouldn't you think someone that really wanted to be heard would just go downstairs and deliver the message in person?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

I must admit that the part I find funniest about those texts is that there are 6 texts sent over a period of 7 minutes, with no response to any of them - given that the message wasn't getting thru, wouldn't you think someone that really wanted to be heard would just go downstairs and deliver the message in person?

Yes that was part of the whole amusement factor! 6 texts and no reply (obviously could not hear my phone) She was too comfy on the couch to get up this time. Other times she wants my attention she will come turn the lights off and on in the basement. Takes me back to my childhood lol!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

The Dalek callouts is really the only bad thing. I really like the game but agree that part of the game even though well themed is annoying.
That said I would love to add it to my lineup. Just no Sub or fidelity speakers
As mentioned turn max volume over ride on and turn it down. Play all night and practice the upper flipper ramp loop. Also focus on abusing each doctors ability for your intended goal each ball.

I like that idea. I rarely can hit the ramp 5 times in a row but the pros do it like 30 times no prob. Not sure why mine seems so hard. Think I had 17 once for loop champion. Pretty sad. I have also tried to LED color code the doctors on the backbox. Red for multiball (doc 7), Green for repair letters, yellow for multipliers (doctor 6) etc. looks pretty good but needs a bit more work. some colors look the same (white, orange, yellow)

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

This is certainly a game that I can't stand. I don't like the show, I don't like the sounds, I don't like the artwork, I don't like the playfield layout. There is also lopsided scoring, and I honestly feel that half the playfield is wasted space. It's like 90% annoying to me.

Bah.. Dr Who rocks. I will be sure to choose this game during league anytime I can against you

Exterminate! Exterminate!! EXTERMINATE!!!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Bah.. Dr Who rocks. I will be sure to choose this game during league anytime I can against you

^^^^^^

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Funny, since the last time we played a 4 player game on it, I was the winner. I would only pick it if you want to lose.

#29 9 years ago

The British accents of the doctors are annoying. Helfer the time I have no idea what they are saying. I don't know anything about the show or theme? However, it's sci-fi with some cool sound effects and a very fast layout. The game certainly draws me back for another game. If it would have been a better theme I think it would easily be a top 20 pin. I rate it as a great bang for your buck as most machines can be had for 2ish k.

#30 9 years ago

Atari, your wife is very patient. My wife would'a came bounding down the steps and clocked me one.

Probably the most annoying overall call out game ever. But it's still a fun pin. I love working towards multi-ball in DW?.

As for the show itself, I liked it in the 70's - 80's when Tom Baker was the Dr. I believe he did the most episodes too. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other doctor but him.

Most of all, I hope your cat feels all better soon.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Funny, since the last time we played a 4 player game on it, I was the winner. I would only pick it if you want to lose.

I play worse when I'm working on other games between balls. But, if you think you're the Dr Who champ, I propose a best-of-11 series to find out

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Most of all, I hope your cat feels all better soon.

Thanks for asking. This is actually kind of ironic so I had to share. Cat was at vet for 2 days. Had to decide, put her down or give her one last chance at the hospital out of town (for another $2k - $4k).

Decided to give her a chance (possible blood transfusion). We showed up there about 1am Monday morning.

The Doctor that took her in....Her name........not sure the spelling but it was pronounced.........Dr. Whoie. Cat is coming home today so Dr. Whoie may have saved our cats life

#33 9 years ago

Dr. Who-ie? LOL Good omen there bro!

It's amazing how pets truly become one of the family. Most I have ever cried in my life was when my dog died. I was 12. Still miss him and think of him often. So I understand spending the cash on Eli.

I hope he's resting comfortably, can heal up and have a few good years left in him for you guys.

Best of luck moving forward my friend.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

The British accents of the doctors are annoying

What's wrong with a British accent? I love this accent!

...coming from a French!
Want me to record some callouts instead? Zis coud be funny earing my voice on ze game.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

But, if you think you're the Dr Who champ, I propose a best-of-11 series to find out

I'll take that challenge! I've declared myself the Time Lord of this area, until I'm dethroned.

#36 9 years ago

I was playing DW on location and one of the people i was with commented something to the effect of "damn, that game is obnoxious". I don't mind it but whatever.

#37 9 years ago

Two years ago at the Orlando Expo that turned into Free Play this past year, we saw/played a Doctor Who. At the time I didn't know much at all about the show, and told my husband that he couldn't have one because that annoying thing on top never shut up. And now that I've watched all the reboot episodes at least once, all the Netflix specials, started watching the classic episodes, and have a Who themed arcade bathroom, we're looking for a Doctor Who pin. I'm guessing the less you know about the series, the more annoying it is.

#38 9 years ago

Just install a Pinnovators PinPAC 3 headphone kit. I did and I love the option of putting on mute and or playing the stereo to whatever music I want.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

The British accents of the doctors are annoying. Helfer the time I have no idea what they are saying.

Think how we feel about all the American accents on pins then

#40 9 years ago

I don't disagree with you on some of the accents, like Walking Dead, Big Buck Hunter, or Nascar. I seriously need a British translation for some of the doctors call outs during the game. It's not clear what they are trying to say? This game still kicks ass though!

#41 9 years ago

Sounds annoying, sometimes, but what really annoys me about this game is that every time I think about selling it to get something else/clear some space, I play it and can't let it go. Now that is annoying!

#42 9 years ago

I think it was already mentioned, but you can change the minimum volume settings in test mode.

Hope the kitty feels better soon!

#43 9 years ago

Dr. Who will be the last game to leave my house. It was the game that truly got me into pinball.

#44 9 years ago

"I hate safety missions". That is what I hear. Is that right?

#45 9 years ago

I hate safety precautions. Ace, you have to activate your console.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I hate safety precautions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's, "I hate safety measures".

#47 9 years ago

Wai....what? She seriously wanted you to turn a pin in the basement down for the benefit of the cat?

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wai....what? She seriously wanted you to turn a pin in the basement down for the benefit of the cat?

Yep. Welcome to my world We need a duplex. Her in one side and me and my machines in the other. I'd likely still get the old broom handle on the wall or floor lol

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Snurdley:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's, "I hate safety measures".

I think it is safety measures as well!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Dr. Who-ie? LOL Good omen there bro!
It's amazing how pets truly become one of the family. Most I have ever cried in my life was when my dog died. I was 12. Still miss him and think of him often. So I understand spending the cash on Eli.
I hope he's resting comfortably, can heal up and have a few good years left in him for you guys.
Best of luck moving forward my friend.

I'm just learning all this pet ownership attachment thing for the 1st time. I get it now. Eli is home and doing well. Shaved belly for C-section, both paws shaved for IV, one side shaved for pain patch and neck shaved for who knows what. Been through hell and back but over 5k later I think she is over the hump. Only 1.5 years old so hope to give her a good life! Thanks for the well wishes! Right back at you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-say-doctor-who-is-annoying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.