Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
Getaway_LEDs_001.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Gang,
I need to be persuaded by Pinside folks to just go for it here, so I need your help.
Situation in a nut shell.... I've started to Shop out my Space Station , that I've had since 1993. At one point I ordered the insert decals to pull mylar and refurb playfield. Then I decided not to , so I went into this shop out with no intention on pulling mylar, and to just do a re-rubber and LED conversion on the green GI circuit for a special mode in the game.
Here is where you guys and gals come in, one pop bumper is cracked-coming unbolted, and needs replacing. There is wear down to the wood above the pop bumper, cant be seen, but now I know its there. Slight mylar lifting around some of the edges, and slight bubbling. I know its a big PITA to strip off mylar, I've done it. I know I will keep this game forever, so PLEASE talk me into going all the way on this one. I'm sitting here looking at a mostly stripped playfield right now , decisions , decisions.
BTW: Color matching and automotive clear coat is what I do for a living, so not big deal there. Oh!, and I built a rotisserie last night off VID'S instructions, so its even easier now! Thanks VID!
Thanks in advance for any encouragement

IMG_2301.jpgIMG_2301.jpg

#2 8 years ago

My experience: I lost about 30-40% of the insert art, but none of the playfield art. The insert decals on eBay and elsewhere are the wrong size, so you'll need to make your own to make it look right again. Good luck!

BTW, my vote is to pull the mylar.

#3 8 years ago

seems like a pain in the ass. Just clean it up all nice and rerubber it and you'll be playing it again in a couple days.

#4 8 years ago

It seems you already know what needs to be done.

#5 8 years ago

Do it. Future you will thank you.

#6 8 years ago

Congrats on the game, I love mine. Join the Space Station Club, lots of good info there. Even if you get the mylar off with just a little touch up needed the primer that they used back then reacts with the auto clear and there's real trouble. Also ALL your inserts would have to come out and sanded because the mylar glue has dried and turned rock hard under the bubbles. Join the club, it's a good first step.

#7 8 years ago

We all know the right thing to do, the hard part, is doing it. (Thank you Gen Norman Schwartzkopf)

G

#8 8 years ago

You could just Treasure Cove it, my Simpsons mylar was beat to death and T.C. did a very respectable job of shining it up. You can always decide to pull the mylar at some point in the future if you're still not happy with the results.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

You could just Treasure Cove it, my Simpsons mylar was beat to death and T.C. did a very respectable job of shining it up. You could always decide to pull the mylar at some point in the future if you're still not happy with the results.

Thought about trying to take some 3000 grit sandpaper by machine ,sand off the ball wear, and then buff it up to a polished shine. Might try a spot??? Really trying to talk myself out of it, and if the decal set I bought from Classic Arcades aren't the right size, well then .... hum?

The mylar has lifted in an area that I could take an x-acto knife and trim up a bit.

Gonna grab some lunch and think this over

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Thought about trying to take some 3000 grit sandpaper by machine ,sand off the ball wear, and then buff it up to a polished shine. Might try a spot??? Really trying to talk myself out of it, and if the decal set I bought from Classic Arcades aren't the right size, well then .... hum?
The mylar has lifted in an area that I could take an x-acto knife and trim up a bit.
Gonna grab some lunch and think this over

Forget the sandpaper and TC it and yes trim the lifting mylar and clean the pf that was under it.

#11 8 years ago

I just buff the dull mylar up with automotive rubbing compound the wax it to death with a good paste wax.
Getaway_LEDs_001.jpgGetaway_LEDs_001.jpg

#12 8 years ago

I sold automotive compounds ,polishes, and buffing products as a paint manufacture rep for the last 30 years , I'm going to figure this out , just really want this playfield to look good , since I've pulled it and depopulated it , don't want to regret not clearing it . I'll report back what I am able to do with it and what I used .
Leaning toward not clearing it now

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

seems like a pain in the ass. Just clean it up all nice and rerubber it and you'll be playing it again in a couple days.

Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Leaning toward not clearing it now

The Devil on Larry's shoulder said:
Aw, don't listen to that jack-off. Look at those gazongas. You'll never get a better chance.

#14 8 years ago

I am in the camp to leave the mylar alone. Finish stripping off the parts, tc it and get it shining. Don't sweat the small stuff and let that little worn spot bother you. Get it back together while its fresh in your head and you'll quickly be enjoying it again.

#15 8 years ago

Spent an hour or so buffing , thought I would give it a shot . Pretty happy with the results, I'm going to just shop it out and leave the Mylar. I cut the bad area out, and removed the glue w/o pulling the insert , so I'm good there.
I used a Milwaukee 18vt pistol buffer with 3m step 1 compound on a wool pad , then step 2 polish on a foam pad , then step 3 ultra fine polish on a foam pad .
Kind of glad I'm not going down the dreaded Mylar removal path.
The guys who said "leave it as is "won I guess
Thanks !!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Looks good! The little bit of bubbling under the mylar looks far better than lots of missing insert text, believe me. Plus I think there are some tricks for removing those bubbles.

#18 8 years ago

I have read about injecting clear under the bubble, but I may one day decide to strip it down and clear coat it , and I don't want to take a chance that that area is permanently glued to the art . It looks pretty good as is, and as I've gotten older I have learned to leave well enough alone I did cut the Mylar in one small area and level the insert, then epoxy it from underneath .
You know me well enough to know I never sell my games, I've had the same ones since 2000, so I have to shop them over and over throughout my lifetime . Well, I have sold 3 in the 23 years, so sometimes they must go to a new home , actually made money on one.
JP

#19 8 years ago

Go for the gold. It's already half way stripped down!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-please-push-me-over-the-ledge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.