(Topic ID: 129358)

Someone needs to invent a flipper hold widget

By robertmee

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Had an epic ball 1 going on SM yesterday and the doorbell rings and I'm the only one home....grrrr

Someone needs to invent a flipper trap widget, so I can trap the ball(s), and hold them there while I attend to business. Maybe a counterweight to sit on the glass with enough side force to hold the flipper button in. Would be good for weak bladders too

#2 8 years ago

My daughter was asking about the same thing. Being an a-hole parent I made it a lesson about endurance.

I did have an epic game of BoP that I left a ball in the shooter lane for 90 minutes while I had a meeting.

#3 8 years ago

on twilight zone there is a setting in the program code that will allow you to keep the flipper held in ball trap mode 15 minutes , but you need the current roms

#4 8 years ago

That is a good way to burn up the transistor on a stern.

#5 8 years ago

TZ 9.4H has this feature; but only for about 30 minutes or so.

Maybe keep some duct tape by each game so you can tape the flipper button down.

#6 8 years ago

If you are playing TAF, just have Lurch answer the door.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Nah...Not talking about hours....just a couple of minutes to dispense whoever is at the door (in this case neighbor kid looking for my kid).

#8 8 years ago

You could always jam a small wedge into the flipper button if you had one near by like a toothpick.

#9 8 years ago

if u can get to a mystery hole or something the ball drops into quick enough u can open the coin door and the ball won't eject. Close the door and its ball back in play

#10 8 years ago

All I know is if I'm having an Epic ball 1.....what/who ever it is can wait...!!!.................Joey

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

if u can get to a mystery hole or something the ball drops into quick enough u can open the coin door and the ball won't eject. Close the door and its ball back in play

Nice... ..................Joey

#12 8 years ago

Standard adjustment #51 - Coindoor Ball Saver - set to YES. Opening the door cuts power but retains game state; close the door and the game re-launches the ball and continues from where you left off.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from msarac:

Standard adjustment #51 - Coindoor Ball Saver - set to YES. Opening the door cuts power but retains game state; close the door and the game re-launches the ball and continues from where you left off.

Serious? On which game...never heard this one

#14 8 years ago

I pulled that adjustment number right from the Stern Spiderman manual, but I believe all modern Sterns have this setting. All of my Sterns have it enabled and it's a lifesaver!

#15 8 years ago

Don't answer the door.

#16 8 years ago

Great...learned something new!

#17 8 years ago

How about a magnet just powerful enough that you could set it on the glass in the vicinity of where the ball is located and it would capture the ball?

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

How about a magnet just powerful enough that you could set it on the glass in the vicinity of where the ball is located and it would capture the ball?

Then it would go into ball search.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Nah...Not talking about hours....just a couple of minutes to dispense whoever is at the door (in this case neighbor kid looking for my kid).

with how shitty they are i wouldn't even want to hold it for that long. probably will be fine. i have seen them go from people cradling too long (talking 15 minutes when taking a phone call). My preferred method for pausing is just to shoot a scoop and open the coin door. May have to go into the test menu, forget right now. I know on (at least some) B/W games as soon as you shut the door ball search will start.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from msarac:

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest. I have coindoor ball saver turned on all my games.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from msarac:

I pulled that adjustment number right from the Stern spiderman manual, but I believe all modern Sterns have this setting. All of my Sterns have it enabled and it's a lifesaver!

So if you're about to lose your ball just open the coin door and have a never ending game

#22 8 years ago

On earlier games after '92 or so, you could park the ball in a saucer, scoop etc and open the coin door before the game kicks the ball back out.

#23 8 years ago

A bracket with a strong magnet on it and a little arm would hold it. The magnet would hold onto the side rail. Duct tape is too damaging and often leaves residue

#24 8 years ago

If your pins are close together keep a toilet paper holder handy and wedge it between the pins so that it keeps the flipper button pushed in. The spring inside it might be powerful enough to keep the button pushed in. Or you could upgrade the spring to a stronger one. You could also put some felt on the ends to prevent any damage.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So true.
    Got a phone call once while playing AC/DC.
    Fried the transistor .
    I never do that with Stern machines now.

6 years later
    #26 2 years ago

Fantastic news, @robertmee! Your prayers have been answered: https://www.pinballadventures.com/pinball-pause/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-needs-to-invent-a-flipper-hold-widget?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.