(Topic ID: 59245)

Someone just offered to make payments on a pin I have for sale. Thoughts?

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

So I have a very nice Cue Ball Wizard listed at $1350 online.

I just had the nicest guy ever call me. Talked to me a while about how he has always wanted a pinball machine, loves the theme, would go great next to his pool ball table, etc.

Then he told me that he does not have the cash right now to buy it, and he is crushed because its the first DMD he has liked under $1500 anywhere online.

So he proposed to me that he would pay $300-$400 a month to me in cash, letting me keep the machine myself until paid in full. He said he would pickup the machine when it was paid, and not before.

I am confident that I can get $1350 soon if I am patient, but I dont care about money that much to be honest... What I care about more than money is getting someone new into pinball.... into helping out.

Is there some way I could get burned here? Seems I have no risk? Smell fishy? What would you do?

Thanks!!

#2 10 years ago

I would do it

#3 10 years ago

Don't agree to meet him in a back alley to get your first payment.
But seriously, if you have the room to hold the machine, I like how you think about helping someone new into pinball, you sound like a good guy yourself. I have personally sold machines to 3 different people on the payment plan, and have even let the machines go their way before I was fully paid (all local guys in the pinball community though) and never had a problem. In fact they have turned out to be later friends and sources for selling more games to.

#4 10 years ago

As long as you can hold the machine until PIF, I don't see the risk on your end.

#5 10 years ago

Pinball layaway...

Honestly taking money and not delivering the item could be dicey. If I were you, just tell him you'll hold the game for him. Don't take money from someone without delivering the game.

#6 10 years ago

Unless you need the space or the money right away, why not? Don't really see how you can lose and in the end you brought someone new into the hobby.

#7 10 years ago

As long as the money is non-refundable, what do you have to lose??

#8 10 years ago

Make a simple contract agreement that states the time limit to make the payments and then what happens if they are not made; e.g. if you are x days late the contract is null and I'll return y% of the money paid in.

You don't want to hold the machine indefinitely and you also want to handle up front how much of the payment is non-refundable. (conflicts are easier solved before they happen!)

My recommendation is that there has to be some value for y > 0 so that you aren't holding the machine for nothing.

Other risks might include change of condition of the pin while its being stored.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Pinball layaway...
Honestly taking money and not delivering the item could be dicey. If I were you, just tell him you'll hold the game for him. Don't take money from someone without delivering the game.

Holding the game I have no problem...

Holding it for 4 months and then him backing out... Yeah I got a problem.

I would be turning down 100% of the cash now in exchange for possibly 100% of the cash in 4 months...

I have the space, that's not an issue.

I really want pinball to grow... But I also don't want to be suckered into some kind of trap.

Obviously I would just put his money in savings until PIF...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

If I were you, just tell him you'll hold the game for him.

Yeah, but then you run the risk of him changing his mind after a month or two and you wound up not selling the game losing two minths. What about him coming to take a look and leaving a $300, non refundable deposit with the game to be picked up with in __ months and paid in full? If the time passes with no balance paid, the deposit is yours and you sell the game.

#11 10 years ago

I've been doing this for years for dozens of customers.......never once had a problem. If they do back out, (which I can only think of it happening one time) then I just refund there entire amount that they have paid up until that point without charging them any fee's.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 10 years ago

If the game stays at your house while he makes payments then why the hell shouldn't you do it?

Go get em' champ! You were just talking about getting new people into pinball in your other Reality Show thread. Here's your start...

#13 10 years ago

Agree with Rich mostly,
See if you can get a good deposit, then a solid date for when he will have the remainder. Close up the machine so the condition doesn't change from deposit to completed payout. Create escape plan for if he starts balking near the due date so you can return the deposit and relist if needed.

But hopefully he'll come through, it's all a story until you've got some $$$ in hand!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

If the game stays at your house while he makes payments then why the hell shouldn't you do it?
Go get em' champ! You were just talking about getting new people into pinball in your other Reality Show thread. Here's your start...

Dunno if you caught it, but I've already began...

I'm Jared.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Holding the game I have no problem...
Holding it for 4 months and then him backing out... Yeah I got a problem.
I would be turning down 100% of the cash now in exchange for possibly 100% of the cash in 4 months...

Exactly why I suggest a y% in my post above. In financial terms, no reason to give someone a call option with 0 premium.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Dunno if you caught it, but I've already began...
I'm Jared.
» YouTube video

AWESOME!!!

Also, you should totally submit that video to these guys:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/currently-casting-the-pinball-project

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've been doing this for years for dozens of customers.......never once had a problem. If they do back out, (which I can only think of it happening one time) then I just refund there entire amount that they have paid up until that point without charging them any fee's.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

John seems like a nice guy! I have one variation to consider. Make it clear up front...if it falls through later for any reason, you will refund any money once you sell the game to someone else, but if you have to sell it for less, then part of his deposit will be kept to make up the difference in purchase price so you are "whole" with the original price agreed to. Good luck!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Make a simple contract agreement that states the time limit to make the payments and then what happens if they are not made; e.g. if you are x days late the contract is null and I'll return y% of the money paid in.
You don't want to hold the machine indefinitely and you also want to handle up front how much of the payment is non-refundable. (conflicts are easier solved before they happen!)
My recommendation is that there has to be some value for y > 0 so that you aren't holding the machine for nothing.
Other risks might include change of condition of the pin while its being stored.

+1 to this.

A contract was the first thing I thought of when I read your question. I'd think that it would be especially necessary if you're dealing with someone you don't know personally. Most likely you won't need to rely on the contract, but I'd hate to be stuck without one if the deal goes south.

--Luke

#19 10 years ago

I have found people with out the money today always have an issue tomorrow to stop the purchase - it took me 8 months to sell a game like this once, half the money in hand and I just need one more week on the other side, I say find a buyer if you can.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I have found people with out the money today always have an issue tomorrow to stop the purchase - it took me 8 months to sell a game like this once, half the money in hand and I just need one more week on the other side, I say find a buyer if you can.

Yikes!

#21 10 years ago

Contract or no sale IMHO. The world is not the way it used to be, when deals were struck over handshakes.

#22 10 years ago

I did something similar with a broad that wanted to get her husband a pin.

I had her sign a no refund, must be paid entirely in 5 months or all deposits forfeited contract.

She was late a few times, but kept in touch and seemed genuinely sincere , so I let the deal continue.

Her husband is still a customer to this day. I've serviced his Funhouse and GORF machine a few times.

=

The only way I think you can lose on the deal is if the game seriously breaks (like CPU or transformer burning) or if the game is stolen/lost in fire.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

So I have a very nice Cue Ball Wizard listed at $1350 online.

I am confident that I can get $1350 soon if I am patient,

If you can get $1350 for your CBW, take the deal. Just make sure everything is in writing, including something signed by both parties every time you receive a payment.

I had a nice CBW listed for sale for a while with no luck anywhere near that price.

#24 10 years ago

I did this awhile back with someone new to the hobby looking to buy his first game. The only difference was my game was a little lower priced and the deal was half now and the other half within a month. He actually ended up getting the cash a little quicker than planned and picked it up earlier. I'd do it all over again, especially since I was getting another person into the hobby.

#25 10 years ago

If you can get $1350 for your CBW, take the deal. Just make sure everything is in writing, including something signed by both parties every time you receive a payment.
I had a nice CBW listed for sale for a while with no luck anywhere near that price.

Really?

I saw one at a local shop in lesser condition than mine for $2499...

A local dealer here said he could confidently sell mine for $1800 if he waited..

Mine is very nice...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 10 years ago

This reminds me of something my wife asked me years ago. I had finished restoring a pin for someone and up to that point, they had paid me half of what they owed me. My wife's comment was, "aren't you worried they may not pay you the rest?"

Well, let's see. I have half their money AND a completely restored pin in my possession. She's never asked me that again.

#27 10 years ago

Cash paid before your pin leaves, do it up.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Really?
A local dealer here said he could confidently sell mine for $1800 if he waited..
Mine is very nice...

Well whats the deal, you listed it for 1350? Are you going to pull the ad and sell for more? I bet that one in the shop sits for quite a long time.

#29 10 years ago

Do it, but get the terms in writing. Give him receipts when he makes each payment that you both sign and get copies of.

"The nicest guy on the phone" can become your worst nightmare if you don't cover your ass these days.

#30 10 years ago

If that was local, I think I would buy it for the asking price. It looks nice and is a fun game.

I would wait for someone to pay as long as I didn't need the space or money right away.

#31 10 years ago

It seems to work with one pinball manufacturer. I'd say do it. Karma always gets paid back.
You may get a new friend out of the deal, as others have said.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

It seems to work with one pinball manufacturer. I'd say do it. Karma always gets paid back.
You may get a new friend out of the deal, as others have said.

I think I know what I need to do.

#33 10 years ago

I applaud you for trying to get someone new into the hobby. The cost of a pin can pretty intimidating at times...especially for your first one. If you have talked to the buyer and have a good sense of judgement...go for it. Give him receipts, and though it may seem like he is inconveniencing you, I'm sure he would rather pay you all at once and take his prize home. We all remember the excitement of getting our first pin and you have the chance to help someone out; that has to feel pretty good.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Really?
Mine is very nice...

The key phrase is "if he waited".

It only takes ONE person willing to pay that price. But based on my recent experience, there's nobody willing to pay even $1100 for a nice CBW. Might be the time of year...

#35 10 years ago

Im going to help him. If it were me, I would want someone to do it for me. Its not much of a risk anyways, and its worth it to me to get someone new into pinball and grow our hobby.

Thank you all so much for the input.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from PB-Guy:

John seems like a nice guy! I have one variation to consider. Make it clear up front...if it falls through later for any reason, you will refund any money once you sell the game to someone else, but if you have to sell it for less, then part of his deposit will be kept to make up the difference in purchase price so you are "whole" with the original price agreed to. Good luck!

I'd have to say no to this, because selling the game to someone else could take MONTHS in some cases. I just refund the entire amount that was paid up until that point and move on to find another buying. This way I dont have any commitments hanging out there with that person. Why make it way more complicated then it has to be?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

This is the biggest problem that may occur.

#38 10 years ago

Great system, and again growing the hobby...would definitely help someone younger and with a lower paying job like myself so glad to see there are people out there willing to do this.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

This is the biggest problem that may occur.

How could the condition change in that short of time? Sure a MPU might go back or something but then I feel its up to the seller to make it right. After all , it never left in the first place. Its all about building the trust for both parties for that person's next purchase.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#40 10 years ago

Here write on contract he has to agree to buy it no back outs after the first payment state that clearly. Then I would also right down for each payment amount date and have both sign it make two copies so its the same.
I wish someone would do this for me a pin layaway type deal as I never have the cash right away but could do payments. Eventually ill get my own machine I want TZ first though.

#41 10 years ago

The only thing I could see as a potential issue is if something goes wrong with the game while it's still in your possession.

Have some sort of basic contract drawn up regarding the plans. I know it sounds like a dick thing to do, but it could protect either of you.

Kudos for going the extra mile (or ten) to help get someone new into the hobby!

#42 10 years ago

I guess I don't see why people think of this as so complex. If I were in you position, I'd do it. Don't make it more complicated then it needs to be by drawing up contracts or whatever. I'd suggest taking some amount down and then the rest when he picks up. I've offered to do that multiple times (as a buyer, and I would as a seller if presented with a similar situation) and never once had an issue.

#43 10 years ago

good things come to good people......I would do it and give him a deadline.

#44 10 years ago

I would FOR SURE scribble up a basic contract. Too many oddballs out there. Even just some emails to serve as a verbal agreement, that is what I do for the vast majority of my clients that contract with me.

#45 10 years ago

I wouldn't do it. Let him borrow the money from somebody else and pay them back.

#46 10 years ago

I gave a guy on CL $300 to hold TZ for me over a weekend. He scribbled a simple contract on paper for me without me asking and was just an all around decent guy. I've always been a good judge of character, so I wasn't concerned. Sure enough, when I came to pay in full all was well and he even helped me load it and the sale price was darn good for this market. There are good people out there.

#47 10 years ago

Send him a paypal invoice

He can pay you via a 0% credit card

Done

#48 10 years ago

I have been on both sides of a transaction like this. I had a guy that many of you know (and love) ask to buy something and make payments. We drew up a contract stating when it would be paid in full and he beat the end date by 2 months and picked up his game. I also have paid two friends over time for games because they needed them moved quickly.

I would do it.

#49 10 years ago

do it, do it all night long.

#50 10 years ago

Jared, are you quoting FUN! prices on here? lol...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-just-offered-to-make-payments-on-a-pin-i-have-for-sale-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.