(Topic ID: 66941)

Somebody has to ask: ST-LE vs. MM remake?

By Craig

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Craig
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you can buy only one, which will it be?”

• Stern Star Trek LE 62 votes
    33%
  • Medieval Madness remake 127 votes
    67%

(189 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I will wait to make a final decision until I hear about Stern's presentation tonight, but I am having a hard time justifying buying both. There must be a lot of other people in this position. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

#2 10 years ago

Start a poll.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Start a poll.

Right. Done.

#4 10 years ago

Sterns are inferior.

#5 10 years ago

MMR is already out to a big lead!

#6 10 years ago

From a player's standpoint: MM

MM is a tried and true machine. It's stood the test of time, and it's renowned as one of the most fun machines from both novice and skilled players. You can buy a ST premium and still get the same game play that the LE would offer. Heck, even the pro doesn't look that watered down from an actual player's standpoint. So buying an LE SOLELY TO PLAY ST is not truly a necessity. You could wait and buy a premium if you decide you like the game play. So from a player's standpoint I would say the MM on this category.

From an investment/collection standpoint: Toss up

Who knows! MM might continue to be reproduced, just not in the LE format. The Stern LE's are always a gamble. They could be more sought after, less sought after or equivalently sought after to their premium/pro counterparts. Some of the eccentricities of the machine turn out to be more of a burden than a blessing. Tron LE and the ACDC LE's are worth considerably more, but any other LE you'd probably have been better off buying the pro version as far as percentage lost in resale value.

Personally, just play what you like! Think to yourself, "If these useless wooden toys become worthless overnight, which one(s) will I be happiest with?" Because in the end, that's all pinball really is!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Sterns are inferior.

I'm definitely not a Stern fan, but we haven't see the MM remake yet to judge the quality yet.

#8 10 years ago

Doesn't MMR selling out in less than a day say something about which way this will play out?

#9 10 years ago

MM is awesome! That said, I played it in my pot smoking hippie college days. I played it in my pre-carreer days of vid'ing out and drinking beer, and I played it my so called 'responsible' adult life. Love it, but give me something new in my small lineup...Bring on the Ritchie!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I'm definitely not a Stern fan, but we haven't see the MM remake yet to judge the quality yet.

This is being made by Rick AKA planetary pinball. It will be quality and it will be righteous.

#11 10 years ago

There are only 40 pinsiders listed as owners of ST and only 31 wishlisters. I know it is a little early for ST but those seem awfully low for a Stern title regardless.

#12 10 years ago

STLE looks amazing to me! But Medieval Madness is a classic, and I think there is something about widebody Williams pins that Stern has just never matched.

From a technology standpoint, if anything the remade MM looks to be AHEAD of STLE!

Anyway, it's a toss up to me. I'd take either one, please, thank you!

#13 10 years ago

Did you ever have to make up your mind?

#14 10 years ago

both....nuff said

#15 10 years ago

ce n'est pas possible...

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

widebody Williams pins

Not sure if you were referring to MM, but it is standard width.

#17 10 years ago

you are right of course, my mistake! I really just meant Williams DMD-era in general.

#18 10 years ago

I think I will cancel my STLE order and get the ST pro and a MMR.

#19 10 years ago

Not sure which one I would buy. But Im definitely stepping back from the insanity of both for now.

#20 10 years ago

Please jump back into this thread after you've heard what Stern has to say tonight. I am overseas and will have to pick up the news from that event tomorrow morning. I am quite sincere about wanting to solicit opinions, but I do think I am going to have to choose. This is just getting too expensive.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I am quite sincere about wanting to solicit opinions, but I do think I am going to have to choose. This is just getting too expensive.

I agree! Hopefully company's will still make Pinball machines in the 5k range in the future. With all these pins selling in the 8k range from different pinball company's (big or small) I just wonder if soon all NIBs will be in that range. I bought an Tron Pro NIB and love it and don't get me wrong the MM remake machine and the STLE look badass and all, but that's just out of my price range for a pin.

#22 10 years ago

STLE all the way. It would be a tougher decision if AFM was involved.

#23 10 years ago

one of these two will have completed code straight out of the box....

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Ha. Awesome!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Yeah, maybe Stern will learn a lesson here...

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I think I will cancel my STLE order and get the ST pro and a MMR.

not a bad idea, the pro is not that bad (le is all about lights) plus you get a classic.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

hope so but i doubt it, stern likes to make people waiting.

#28 10 years ago

Should be an interesting atmosphere at the Stern party tonight - everyone in the pinball world will be buzzing about this.

#29 10 years ago

MMR got my STLE funds. Done deal.

#30 10 years ago

Chicago Coin is supposed to be the MM manufacturer.

#31 10 years ago

A little voice told me to hold off on the ST purchase.Glad that I did for now.

#32 10 years ago

stern must be freaking out right now, people putting their money on MM, 1000+ pins sold but not theirs.

#33 10 years ago

Williams continues to haunt Stern from beyond the grave.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

stern must be freaking out right now, people putting their money on MM, 1000+ pins sold but not theirs.

I would think not. STLE is a very nice looking game. None of the compliments about it in all the posts last night are untrue today. They are doing well and hiring new designers in the last few years. Pinball is making a modest comeback and they are cranking out 2-3 games a year. I am very happy about my STLE purchase.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I would think not.

I see that you already have a MM, so you don't need to choose between the two. If you did...? That's my situation.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Sterns are inferior.

I used to believe that. Now I am about 50/50 Sterns VS others. Sold 40+ other games believing that as well. It's all personal preference , so I kindly disagree with your statement.

#37 10 years ago

Easy choice for me obviously since I already own MM. I'd probably go for the MMR if I didn't already own it over STLE, mostly because I would know exactly what I was getting and wouldn't have to hope and wait for the code to be done right.

Quoted from zr11990:

Sterns are inferior.

So is your intelligence.

Quoted from kvan99:

If you really believe that...well, let's just say don't hold your breath.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I used to believe that.

Agreed. This isn't about quality but preference. If I do cancel the order, at least I know one person who will have one I might play (wink, wink)!

#39 10 years ago

Stern and JJP can't complain.

They were offered the remake and they said they were not interested.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

MMR got my STLE funds. Done deal.

+1 on this. STLE WHO?

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern and JJP can't complain.
They were offered the remake and they said they were not interested.

WOW. Really? Great job there. ouchies.

#42 10 years ago

Jack is still making money on the retail side, so he made out better than Gary.

#43 10 years ago

Did you get one, underlord?!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Did you get one, underlord?!

I emailed Jen @ pinballsales... they have my cc on file...fingers crossed. I do have an invoice, but I'm high up in the numbers. As soon as I got home from work I jumped on this!

When you coming up to play version 1.21 on WOZ? Or is it gonna be version 2.0??

#45 10 years ago

So glad I didn't grab an STLE now!!!!!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I emailed Jen @ pinballsales... they have my cc on file...fingers crossed. I do have an invoice, but I'm high up in the numbers. As soon as I got home from work I jumped on this!
When you coming up to play version 1.21 on WOZ? Or is it gonna be version 2.0??

I think you'll be alright, but not one of the first to take delivery like you were for WoZ! Just give me your CC info for the next time something like this happens, I was watching the expo feed

I should come up sometime soon, is the software noticeably different?

#47 10 years ago

1.18 is, yes. Next new update should be any day now, and looks radically new!

Game is addictive.

#48 10 years ago

Haven't the majority of you played a MM before, I owned one and it was a great pin but eventually I got bored of it and wanted something new. I understand the collector mentality as I tried and got to nearly thirty pins but most of them sat there while the biggest thrill was the latest purchase and fixing it up, playing a new game. StarTrek Le for me 100%....................PEACE

#49 10 years ago

Wow, it sure did take the air out of STLE and every other upcoming release.......jumped in and will go back and spend a lot more time on MM and then decide on which route to go, if any.....very cool though!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-has-to-ask-st-le-vs-mm-remake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.