Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,905 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24DFBEB7-8D16-4BCC-98BE-2B2382FD19D1 (resized).png
    D3084087-E36D-48C7-A5BC-26D25E893558 (resized).jpeg
    3C8B3D30-A5B0-4A43-BE05-5F06EB3FC16E (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1_khpKB3DTiXm8v05uZ9rCsA (resized).png
    IMG_0107 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0109 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0108 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    3C18EB6C-5198-40C2-A947-1E1C37AFCDC2 (resized).jpeg
    Dz-Z3yAUcAACrS_.jpg
    Screenshot_20200312-094655_Coinbase.jpg
    IMG_4773 (resized).JPG
    200% (resized).png
    VIBE currency (resized).png
    bro (resized).jpg

There are 1,905 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 39.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

Any speculators have an explanation for why Bitcoin is trading on the markets at nearly 10x what it was just a year ago after sitting stagnant for almost 2 years?

It wasn't just Bitcoin. Ethereum & Litecoin have experience similar rallies.

Ever growing increase in exposure to new speculators. (I won't use "investors")

Ever growing increased acceptance.

Bitcoin is a global phenomenon. News regarding cryptos, anywhere in the world, could cause them to rise or fall. The U.S. market is a very small fraction of all Bitcoin trades & transactions.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

And when do you conduct your "How to day trading crypto" classes?
    I really want to give it a shot, but I've been being a wus.

Right after you pay my exorbitant training fees.

Step 2 is stop being a wus.

Edit: I have a MUCH higher tolerance for risk than most. Don't follow my path, create your own.

#203 4 years ago

It's called bitcoin, because when people come to their senses and it all crashes down, 1 bitcoin will be worth exactly that. 12 and a half cents.

#204 4 years ago

And when do you conduct your "How to day trading crypto" classes?
    I really want to give it a shot, but I've been being a wus.

I have NO Interest in day trading. Buy and hold thank you. Way too volatile for my blood...too much work also (maybe when I retire ).

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

It's called bitcoin, because when people come to their senses and it all crashes down, 1 bitcoin will be worth exactly that. 12 and a half cents.

Thank you. I'll accept that as your purchase offer if it does crash down.

Now I finally have an exit strategy.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Well if you bought at .06 in 2010 that would be a 20,733% increase to 12.5 cents.

#207 4 years ago

Waiting for the tie-ins to pinball now: 2 Bitcoin by Christmas!!!

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well if you bought at .06 in 2010 that would be a 20,733% increase to 12.5 cents.

Did you buy in 2010?

If you invested early with Bernie Madoff and got out at the right time, you would have made a killing. My point has never been about whether you can make money investing in the emperor's new clothes.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Did you buy in 2010?
    If you invested early with Bernie Madoff and got out at the right time, you would have made a killing. My point has never been about whether you can make money investing in the emperor's new clothes.

You say it has no value beyond pure speculation. I disagree. I has value as an alternative asset class. It has value due to the pure transparency of the public ledger upon which it's built. It has value by being completely decentralized from any government. It has value in the relatively quick transaction times and lower fees VS traditional banking or credit card transactions.

And lastly it has a base value today of at least $1000 per coin since that is roughly the current cost in just electricity to mine one (which will continue to go up).

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

sure, i understand that. as with physical security, in digital security, the only way to make something 100% secure is to do without it. but we are not talking about bitcoin in a void. we are talking about it in relation to physical currency, and the security risks associated with that.

Then I think we agree that the statement "unhackable" or "100% safe" isn't your best choice of words Especially in relation to physical currency. You can't take the physical currency out of my wallet. Electronic trading of that currency of course is riskier.. but if you are focusing on the digital wallet, its still inferior to physical assets in regard to remote risks. Of course, it adds extra access controls compared to other electronic formats... but as soon as we are talking about using bitcoin for convience transactions... all those layers of security will eventually be weakened in favor of access/speed. Like putting a wallet app on a smartphone, etc.

Quoted from pezpunk:

true. security itself is not enough to guarantee the coin itself will retain value. there are lots of other factors at work and nobody knows the future. my point about the wallets was just to point out that you don't keep all your money at Wal-Mart, you keep it somewhere relatively safe, and you bring it to the store when you're ready to buy something. i was trying to clarify wallets versus exchanges, because people were talking about exchanges getting hacked.

Yes, but unlike government backed currency, at least there is no regulation and backing in those exchanges. And much of the "value" of your coins is being determined by these non-regulated, unsecured agents. It's free market to the extreme... which isn't always good. While all the theory on the integrity of the bitcoin itself is all fine... people aren't actually buying/selling that. They are trading based on a market worth... a worth being established relative to other assets... by pseudo trusted entities. This is a benefit, but also a great risk. And given the entire model revolves around making money by moving almost imaginary things... the deck is stacked in favor of people ultimately trying to squeeze and maximize their personal gain.

The math behind mining and tracking transactions itself do not set a market value relative to other currencies. This is the side of the equation that relies on 3rd parties.. which are not incorruptible.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Explain the "need" for art. You can't. And even if you tried, art has no intrinsic value aside from the cost of paint & canvas

Art isn't a commodity in the context I was using. I was using commodities in the market context of Trading Commodities, Currencies, or Stocks.. since you brought up the analogy to buying a stock. Commodities as typically seen as Metals, Energy, and Agriculture.

Sure. "I do not need to buy "FILL IN THE BLANK" now to buy that milk in the future. I would only buy it now because I am trying to speculate on the future valuation of "FILL IN THE BLANK".
    Clear enough for you?

Clear enough that you have zero interest in these things beyond something you wish to appreciate in value - zero interest in it as a crypto currency or anything else. Might as well be beanie-babies.

I trust you meant speculator. So again: There is zero reason to buy "FILL IN THE BLANK" except as a speculator.

Yes, a typo - thank you. There are reasons to buy things besides speculation. This thread has been talking about "value" many times. But its clear your position and interest is purely one of a investment/speculation... and nothing about actually using it as a currency or its place in changing commerce.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

And lastly it has a base value today of at least $1000 per coin since that is roughly the current cost in just electricity to mine one (which will continue to go up).

So besides the wasted resources in computer hardware and Human labor, this endeavor is wasting tons of electricity thus helping pollute the planet for absolutely NOTHING of value. It should be banned. And it probably will be.

#213 4 years ago

And just because it costs $1000 in electricity doesn't mean it's worth $1000. My turd this morning cost 1 $7 chicken sandwich I ate yesterday. Are you willing to pay me for it?

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You say it has no value beyond pure speculation. I disagree. I has value as an alternative asset class. It has value due to the pure transparency of the public ledger upon which it's built. It has value by being completely decentralized from any government. It has value in the relatively quick transaction times and lower fees VS traditional banking or credit card transactions.

What it cost you really has nothing to do with establishing value... just sets an expectation of what someone would expect as the minimum to recover. Value is set by BOTH parties, not one.

You are confusing the term. It may have value as a TOOL/Technology.. that does not equate to value in terms of a intrinsic value as a tradable commodity.

If it costs me $10 to make a pretty piece of paper... that doesn't mean it has a market value of at least $10 or some inherent value at all. Just that it had a cost to produce.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

So besides the wasted resources in computer hardware and Human labor, this endeavor is wasting tons of electricity thus helping pollute the planet for absolutely NOTHING of value. It should be banned. And it probably will be.

Well It's a good thing I don't care at all what "you" think it's worth.

I've already stated it could go to zero. It could also continue to rise for decade/s. Neither one of knows. If it goes to zero it certainly won't be becasue you knew better. If it sky rockets it won't be becasue I knew it would. That's the nature of investing in the future...especially in something as new and volatile as cryptocurrencies.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

And just because it costs $1000 in electricity doesn't mean it's worth $1000. My turd this morning cost 1 $7 chicken sandwich I ate yesterday. Are you willing to pay me for it?

He didn't say it's "worth" $1000. He said its "base value" is $1,000.

How much are you asking for your turd? Just because it's base value was $7.00, doesn't mean it's worth $7.00. You could have the finest shaped and most pleasantly smelling turd in the world. It could be "worth" millions. Then again, you more likely will need to pay somebody to take your turd away. (sewer fees)

Doesn't change the fact that it cost you $7.00 to produce the turd.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

What it cost you really has nothing to do with establishing value... just sets an expectation of what someone would expect as the minimum to recover. Value is set by BOTH parties, not one.
    You are confusing the term. It may have value as a TOOL/Technology.. that does not equate to value in terms of a intrinsic value as a tradable commodity.
    If it costs me $10 to make a pretty piece of paper... that doesn't mean it has a market value of at least $10 or some inherent value at all. Just that it had a cost to produce.

True enough...point retracted.

#218 4 years ago

I ll be honest. 2 weeks ago. I had lunch with my friend and we talked about Bitcoin. I then read up on it and watched videos. It’s an interesting concept I saw some advantages. But in the end I didn’t fully grasp it and was like wtf.

It’s like if I want to give u $10. I would just pull a $10 bill from my money “stash” and hand it to u. But since there is no physics substance. All transactions from all the previous transactions needed to calculated and verified to ensure i had enough bitcoin to give to somone else.

So I just then turned on my pinball machines and played them and had more fun

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

I ll be honest. 2 weeks ago. I had lunch with my friend and we talked about Bitcoin. I then read up on it and watched videos. It’s an interesting concept I saw some advantages. But in the end I didn’t fully grasp it and was like wtf.
    It’s like if I want to give u $10. I would just pull a $10 bill from my money “stash” and hand it to u. But since there is no physics substance. All transactions from all the previous transactions needed to calculated and verified to ensure i had enough bitcoin to give to somone else.
    So I just then turned on my pinball machines and played them and had more fun

My non-crypto cash has already been digital for as long as I've been an adult. I almost never carry or have any physical cash. My paycheck is direct deposited into my bank account, I pay for everything through my credit card, and that is auto-paid in full every month. When I need to give a friend $10, I'll pull out my phone and send it to them through PayPal/Venmo, and soon I'll probably be sending money from my phone to theirs through Apple Pay's peer-to-peer payments. Cryptocurrency is the same deal in a different flavor. It's just a matter of time before the ease of use catches up to make it appealing to normal people.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, a typo - thank you. There are reasons to buy things besides speculation. This thread has been talking about "value" many times. But its clear your position and interest is purely one of a investment/speculation... and nothing about actually using it as a currency or its place in changing commerce.

Agreed. Rather than "buy", the word should have been "invest".

Most of my business purchases & cash investments ARE based on speculation. Speculation that my business will produce a profit. Speculation when I buy an arcade game that it will earn. Speculation when I trade stock options contracts. And certainly speculation when buying/trading crytos.

Not quite purely, as I have used Bitcoin for actual purchases. In fact, an online pharmacy I use offers a 10% discount when paying with Bitcoin. So just by using Bitcoin to pay for goods, I'm actually coming out ahead. And if the price continues upward, and/or other retailers offer discounts for paying w/ Bitcoin, I may use it more frequently, thereby recouping & removing my original investment via spending the Bitcoin, rather than "cashing" out.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

My non-crypto cash has already been digital for as long as I've been an adult. I almost never carry or have any physical cash. My paycheck is direct deposited into my bank account, I pay for everything through my credit card, and that is auto-paid in full every month. When I need to give a friend $10, I'll pull out my phone and send it to them through PayPal/Venmo, and soon I'll probably be sending money from my phone to theirs through Apple Pay's peer-to-peer payments. Cryptocurrency is the same deal in a different flavor. It's just a matter of time before the ease of use catches up to make it appealing to normal people.

I agree. It’s only a matter of time before everything is electronic. But cash is still my preferred payment option. Lots of Asian places and small restaurants cash only. Some places if paying by cc will charge an extra 5% on top. If and depending on the price difference between paying cash or cc. I will do either depending on savings and time. But generally small purchases and drive thru. I use cash. it’s just faster.

But ultimately. I think my question is. Why use bitcoin vs established electronic services? Is it because it’s a universal currency?

#222 4 years ago

I use cash for pretty much everything. I get more discounts that way and I don't have to check a statement every month to see if someone screwed me and try to remember what I spent money on. I trust my judgement, not my short term memory. I saved about 5 grand on my bathroom remodel alone.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I sit here wondering why you kept your turd from this morning.

#224 4 years ago

Cash is king.

With somewhat large purchases I'll ask them to drop the tax if I pay with cash. You'd be surprised how often they do....

Quoted from Pinballlew:

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Based on Pezpunk and Astropins thinking, I figured maybe I could sell it to them at a markup. All I have to do is market My turd in a way that makes sense to them. Shouldn't be too hard.

#226 4 years ago

You could have the finest shaped and most pleasantly smelling turd in the world. It could be "worth" millions. Then again, you more likely will need to pay somebody to take your turd away. (sewer fees)
    Doesn't change the fact that it cost you $7.00 to produce the turd.

Once my turd looks like a celebrity, it's going up on Ebay

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Based on Pezpunk and Astropins thinking, I figured maybe I could sell it to them at a markup. All I have to do is market My turd in a way that makes sense to them. Shouldn't be too hard.

If you're not going to bother understanding the points I'm making please do not attempt to describe them.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If you're not going to bother understanding the points I'm making please do not attempt to describe them.

Oh my goodness. Just for today, try pulling the stick out of your backside, remember what it was like to have a sense of humor, and R-E-L-A-X.

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Well, you just need to tell a good story, and everyone will jump on board!

Bitturd!

Mine the bitturds with a whole bank of mega computers working out a complex equation about how many cheeseburgers to eat to form the perfect bitturd.

Get your computers to mine the bitturd equations in their downtime, and have your staff consume the cheeseburgers in their downtime, so effectively the bitturds cost you nothing!

This is sounding better by the moment. I’m actually convincing myself that bitturds are the way to go and the currency of the future!

Can I get in on the ground floor with your turd?

rd

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Can I get in on the ground floor with your turd?

rd

Sure. There is already a ton of interest. In fact, I just ate at P.F. Chang's, so I will be filling orders shortly.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Oh my goodness. Just for today, try pulling the stick out of your backside, remember what it was like to have a sense of humor, and R-E-L-A-X.

I doubt you'd think it was funny if someone showed no ability to understand what you were saying to them, and then went around misrepresenting what you said.

Your participation in this thread is adding zero value to the conversation. Your opinion was registered early on. People responded to it, and you've ignored every response and continued to harp on the same straw man critique repeatedly. It's boring and annoying.

#232 4 years ago

... When you decide to sell, simply click on the full amount you hold, click sell, and you're back into USD...

Does this generate a taxable event? Will I get a 1099?

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

On the gains.

#234 4 years ago

Who is that issued from? I'm serious BTW. Is there an agency reporting this to the US treasury? If it is an investment there must be the whole W4-W2 thing right?

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I doubt you'd think it was funny if someone showed no ability to understand what you were saying to them, and then went around misrepresenting what you said.
    Your participation in this thread is adding zero value to the conversation. Your opinion was registered early on. People responded to it, and you've ignored every response and continued to harp on the same straw man critique repeatedly. It's boring and annoying.

So that's a no on the stick removal then?

#236 4 years ago

Any distributors accept bitcoin?

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Yes.
    No.

All income, from whatever source derived, is taxable income per the federal tax code. Since the IRS collects taxes under our "voluntary compliance" system, you, by law, must claim your gains.

#238 4 years ago

Bitcoin... If this guy says it's good it has to be a solid investment.

2017-10-19-23-14-23- (resized).jpg

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Will I get a 1099?

I just opened an account with GDAX with the intentions of buying some Bitcoin.
    Are you telling us (me) that THEY will be the source of the 1099?

I noticed they needed my Social Security Number and was surprised. I thought one of the main advantages of these crypto-currencies was the ability to stay under the radar and remain anonymous. NO?

Thanks for any comments.
    Mike in Kentucky

#240 4 years ago

It seems that Bitcoin will continue to rise until it doesn't. At some point, people will mostly stop buying and the first few to sell out will do well and the rest will lose their entire investment but since most of those people with huge gains on Bitcoin bought in early, they won't really lose that much and the whole thing will just go back to normal. The fools are the people buying in recently/now. They believed what the believers (aka, early adopters) told them ("Bitcoin is a great investment! I've made a 125,000% gain!") and they will suffer the loss of whatever they chose to invest. Anyone who thinks Bitcoin has a long term future is truly a fool. That doesn't mean that everyone who invests in it is a fool. Some will easily make a fortune in a few years, at the cost of the morons investing later.

Also, Bitcoin is a HIGHLY SPECULATIVE AND FRAGILE INVESTMENT, NOT A CURRENCY. As a currency, it's viability is tenuous at best.

Of course this is all just my opinion and I don't claim any of this with 100% certainty. Time will tell if I am right.

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

I noticed they needed my Social Security Number and was surprised. I thought one of the main advantages of these crypto-currencies was the ability to stay under the radar and remain anonymous. NO?
    Thanks for any comments.
    Mike in Kentucky

i think most exchanges that accept US dollars from US citizens are trying to stay on the government's good side. it's not a way to cheat on taxes. at least, not without diving into the seedier side of things.

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

I could be wrong, but according to this info on 1099s from Coinbase (Coinbase became GDAX), you're responsible for filling out your own tax forms. No one is going to send you a 1099.
    https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1496488-how-do-i-report-taxes-

Coinbase/GDAX probably needs your SSN because that's what they're using to report your information to the IRS. That and to make sure you're not laundering money. Did they ask you to upload a picture of your drivers license? I've found that most exchanges these days ask for just as much private information or more than a classic bank.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2017/08/24/irs-hunts-bitcoin-user-identities-with-software-in-tax-enforcement-push/#7bb391919cd0

Bitcoin should not be considered anonymous. The Blockchain is a public record. There are ways to be pseudo-anonymous.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-remain-anonymous-while-using-bitcoin-security-tumbler-mixing-laundering-cybersecurity-kevin-mitnick-2017-5

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

It seems that Bitcoin will continue to rise until it doesn't. At some point, people will mostly stop buying and the first few to sell out will do well and the rest will lose their entire investment but since most of those people with huge gains on Bitcoin bought in early, they won't really lose that much and the whole thing will just go back to normal. The fools are the people buying in recently/now. They believed what the believers (aka, early adopters) told them ("Bitcoin is a great investment! I've made a 125,000% gain!") and they will suffer the loss of whatever they chose to invest. Anyone who thinks Bitcoin has a long term future is truly a fool. That doesn't mean that everyone who invests in it is a fool. Some will easily make a fortune in a few years, at the cost of the morons investing later.
    Also, Bitcoin is a HIGHLY SPECULATIVE AND FRAGILE INVESTMENT, NOT A CURRENCY. As a currency, it's viability is tenuous at best.
    Of course this is all just my opinion and I don't claim any of this with 100% certainty. Time will tell if I am right.

So you learned everything you needed to know about Bitcoin in 24hrs? Impressive.

#244 4 years ago

For all of you potential investors in turdcoin out there. I just upgraded my server.

IMG_0890 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0891 (resized).JPG

#245 4 years ago

Also, I am proud to announce that a new infusion of captial has been procured from a wealthy investor that will allow turdcoin to flourish.

IMG_0893 (resized).JPG

#246 4 years ago

if you'd even bothered to read my posts, you would have seen i mentioned multiple times that i don't even own any bitcoin, and also said multiple times that i don't know if it will be successful or not. i get that you're not capable of understanding the concepts behind cryptocurrency, but statements like "i don't have any money in bitcoin" and " i have no idea what the crypto markets are going to do" should not be above your reading level.

#247 4 years ago

also how embarrassing is it for you that you were so upset by someone's posts that for a moment you thought it was a great idea to take a magic marker, write their username on a piece of paper, stick it on a toilet, take a picture, and uploaded it to the internet?

#248 4 years ago

Right after you pay my exorbitant training fees.
    Step 2 is stop being a wus.
    Edit: I have a MUCH higher tolerance for risk than most. Don't follow my path, create your own.

Something tells me that paying your training fees would be worth it.

If I wanted to sell Bitcoin Cash and buy Ripple, where would be the best place to go? I know GDAX only does Bitcoin, Ether and LiteCoin.

Ever use ShapeShift?

https://shapeshift.io/#/coins

#249 4 years ago

If I wanted to sell Bitcoin Cash and buy Ripple, where would be the best place to go? I know GDAX only does Bitcoin, Ether and LiteCoin.
    Ever use ShapeShift?
    https://shapeshift.io/#/coins

I've never used ShapeShift, but I hear there are high fees with it. My strategy, assuming ShapeShift is too expensive, would be to go to coinmarketcap.com, search for each coin, then click on the Markets tab to see where they are traded, and try to figure out an exchange I already have an account on to convert BCC -> ETH -> XRP, or maybe BCC -> BTC -> XRP.

#250 4 years ago

Weird. According to their page, the BTC - XRP miner fee is 0.5 XRP, which is about $0.11.

https://info.shapeshift.io/about

There are 1,905 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 39.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside