Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,905 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24DFBEB7-8D16-4BCC-98BE-2B2382FD19D1 (resized).png
    D3084087-E36D-48C7-A5BC-26D25E893558 (resized).jpeg
    3C8B3D30-A5B0-4A43-BE05-5F06EB3FC16E (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1_khpKB3DTiXm8v05uZ9rCsA (resized).png
    IMG_0107 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0109 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0108 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    3C18EB6C-5198-40C2-A947-1E1C37AFCDC2 (resized).jpeg
    Dz-Z3yAUcAACrS_.jpg
    Screenshot_20200312-094655_Coinbase.jpg
    IMG_4773 (resized).JPG
    200% (resized).png
    VIBE currency (resized).png
    bro (resized).jpg
    There are 1,905 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 39.
    #1801 3 years ago

I would recommend everyone invest in a hardware wallet for their currency. I only keep on the exchange enough to trade and the unusual coins I can’t store on my wallet. I use a Trezor. I also have a Ledger in a box but haven’t used it yet. The thought of having to delete one currency to make room for another scares the hell out of me on that stupid thing.

If anyone needs help using one, setting it up or anything like that, I’m more than happy to help.

I just moved the last of my mined ETH from my mining wallet to my Trezor this morning.

#1802 3 years ago

Does anyone here have thoughts on ADA?

#1803 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The thought of having to delete one currency to make room for another scares the hell out of me on that stupid thing.

No shit

#1804 3 years ago

To elaborate this is why I will never own Bitcoin, more power to those who do and understand the intricacies of managing it.

Can't depend on the System, electricity, the Web, or devices. Maybe later, not now.
    I do sleep well at night, a Blessing.
    Guys and Girls who know how to play digital currencies and when to cash out, I salute you!

#1805 3 years ago

So about four years ago my wife recieved a small pension payout from her former employer. It was a total of 10k. I stuck most of it in GBTC (basically a Bitcoin ETF) on E*Trade. Today it's sitting at a little over 100k. I also moved some of my Roth funds into the same fund.

No plan to touch it until at least two more halvings happen. If you don't know what that means then you have some research to do.

#1806 3 years ago

I also have a Ledger in a box but haven’t used it yet. The thought of having to delete one currency to make room for another scares the hell out of me on that stupid thing.

Which ledger do you have? I have both a nano s and nano x, and the nano x allows a ton more applications on it.

Also the accounts are tied to your keys, so changing applications around on the ledger s shouldn't be a problem. I use the ledger X as my main, and ledger s as a backup.

Remember: not your wallet, not your coin.

#1807 3 years ago

Is this the bubble bursting or just a bit of a correction? I pulled out towards the start of it so not suffered to much of a loss, not sure when best moment to enter back in is.

#1808 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Which ledger do you have? I have both a nano s and nano x, and the nano x allows a ton more applications on it.

I think it’s the model S. I’ve been using a Trezor One and really like it so I haven’t had a need to use the Ledger. I thought about keeping my XRP on it since the Trezor One doesn’t support XRP.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Remember: not your wallet, not your coin.

Agreed. I’ve been using a hardware wallet since I got into it back in 2017. I keep some on Coinbase for trading but other than that, it gets moved.

#1809 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Is this the bubble bursting or just a bit of a correction? I pulled out towards the start of it so not suffered to much of a loss, not sure when best moment to enter back in is.

No one knows for sure. My guess...just a correction. I only buy and hold...I never sell and re-buy because I can't time the market.

#1810 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

No one knows for sure. My guess...just a correction. I only buy and hold...I never sell and re-buy because I can't time the market.

Yeah any one else in it for the long run has nothing to worry about as it will go and down a thousand times before you finally cash out. But any one in it for short term needs to be a bit careful in timing

I can’t work out if it’s about to get far worse (like it has done previously) before it ramps up again (could be in a years time) or if this is just a little correct and will rally upto 50k or somin which is be gutted if I missed that. Will just have to keep a close eye on it

Or I could just go buy a nice new stern LE and have fun

#1811 3 years ago

At least for today, it looks like it was a correction, it's already creeping back up across coins. The stock market also took a hit today, especially the NASDAQ, often Bitcoin seems to follow how it's trending.

#1812 3 years ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Does anyone here have thoughts on ADA?

I personally believe Cardano is the future, Ethereum 2.0.
    And with smart contracts scheduled in March ADA could see a nice bump.
    But like with all crypto, do your own research.

#1813 3 years ago

#1814 3 years ago

Not productive,deleted

#1815 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Yeah any one else in it for the long run has nothing to worry about as it will go and down a thousand times before you finally cash out. But any one in it for short term needs to be a bit careful in timing
    I can’t work out if it’s about to get far worse (like it has done previously) before it ramps up again (could be in a years time) or if this is just a little correct and will rally upto 50k or somin which is be gutted if I missed that. Will just have to keep a close eye on it
    Or I could just go buy a nice new stern LE and have fun

I can tell you that I did buy more today. Tried to get it at 31 but by the time I could actually move funds and buy it was 32.5. Most I've ever payed and it could drop to 20k next week...I don't care. After all my research I've come to believe that any price under 500k is likely a good price.

#1816 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I can tell you that I did buy more today. Tried to get it at 31 but by the time I could actually move funds and buy it was 32.5.

I tried to grab it around that level too, but it didn't stay there very long. By the time I was ready to pull the trigger it was around $33k. I'm sitting on the little bit of cash I have to allocate and hoping for a pull back.

I did grab some more LINK and SNX too. Those are two that I really like and think they could turn out to be very useful protocols. I'm also up 1,049% on LINK, so maybe I'm a little biased.

#1817 3 years ago

Here we go again.....I think.

If I could time these swings, I'd be typing this from a private island and not my desk at work.

#1818 3 years ago

I sure wish RVN would take off, man I am sitting on 250,000 of those coins

#1819 3 years ago

My mining rig if anyone is interested. Not sure how many on here mine vs trade coin. Currently rake in about 20,000 RVN/month, about $170/month profit after electric costs. Of course I don't sell them though, stock piling in hopes of a pop someday.

IMG_0107 (resized).jpgIMG_0107 (resized).jpgIMG_0108 (resized).jpgIMG_0108 (resized).jpgIMG_0109 (resized).jpgIMG_0109 (resized).jpg
    #1820 3 years ago

That's an expensive rig you have there and quite pretty I must say.

Any reason you're not mining ETH with that rig? I know you'd be pulling in a lot less money, but then again, I would think that ETH would have a better chance of it going up a lot?

I turned on my old ETH miner after you mentioned RVN, but it's mining so slow with the old 4GB RX470 cards. I think I'm getting 10Mh/s.

My old ETH miner was a motherboard with recycled parts screw into a piece of MDF with a few zip ties and some GPUs. Nothing like yours.

#1821 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

My mining rig if anyone is interested. Not sure how many on here mine vs trade coin. Currently rake in about 20,000 RVN/month, about $170/month profit after electric costs. Of course I don't sell them though, stock piling in hopes of a pop someday.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If my gf found that on the kitchen counter she would lose her shit lol

#1822 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I sure wish RVN would take off, man I am sitting on 250,000 of those coins

What if it doesn't take off? Is it worth converting this to BTC or ETH and riding that wave? Or is the only real profit you'll see in mining it is if RVN itself takes off?

#1823 3 years ago

Here we go again.....I think.
    If I could time these swings, I'd be typing this from a private island and not my desk at work.

Trying to time the swings is pretty risky, most people I know are buying and holding with BTC and ETH, expecting both coins to go up 3X-4X over the next couple years.

It does look like BTC is on track to break 42K by the end of the week.

#1824 3 years ago

The rig cost about 4k to build. It's on the counter in the basement bar, so out of sight for the most part. If RVN never takes off that's fine. I am all in. I will mine it as long as it turns out a good number of coins and just ride it for a while. I either want a huge payout of at least 10M+ or bust. Not interested in a little bit, I want something big or nothing.

#1825 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

The rig cost about 4k to build. It's on the counter in the basement bar, so out of sight for the most part. If RVN never takes off that's fine. I am all in. I will mine it as long as it turns out a good number of coins and just ride it for a while. I either want a huge payout of at least 10M+ or bust. Not interested in a little bit, I want something big or nothing.

That certainly explains your topper pricing

#1826 3 years ago

Small tip on buying GPU's. People return them a lot. Most of mine came from Amazon Warehouse at a nice price. Took a couple months of watching since I wanted all the exact same card, but saved me probably 400-500 bucks total on the 8 cards.

#1827 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I don't see RVN going to $40...ever (or $30, or $20...or...). But, I've been wrong before.

#1828 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I don't see RVN going to $40...ever (or $30, or $20...or...). But, I've been wrong before.

Yep, who knows. When bitcoin was pennies I doubt anyone thought it would be where it is now either........

#1829 3 years ago

I pretty much only dabble in BTC and ETH now and gave up on the smaller coins. A few years I was trying to catch a wave trading small coins and made some quick short term profits and then generally lost it again and realized I was wasting my time. Holding is the only way you are going to do it and hope that a shitcoin breaks.

Or convert it to BTC and ETH and hold those, because they have always been destined for success. Even with the bumpy ride, ETH is up 400% in the past 6 months and BTC is up 300%.

#1830 3 years ago

Has everyone with a Coinbase taken the free video "classes" to earn some of the lesser coins? If not, you should. I hadn't logged into Coinbase for a year until a month ago, I watched the videos, did the quizzes and earned about $40 worth of lesser coins for free, which I sold and converted to BTC and it's already gone up 60%.

Also there are some incentives on there for inviting new people to Coinbase if anyone wants to earn small amounts of BTC by signing up. With the caveat that some people have had problems with Coinbase lately accessing old or dormant accounts. I haven't had any probs there and I think they are finally stepping up their game because they are going public.

#1831 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Has everyone with a Coinbase taken the free video "classes" to earn some of the lesser coins?

I've done that a good bit. I've gotten GRT, COMP, FIL, MKR, ALGO, CGLD, OXT, EOS, XLM, XTZ, DAI, ZEC and ZRX all for free.

Anyone buying right now? I sold some of my LINK and grabbed some more SNX. I've been eyeing DOT and AAVE but with the recent DeFi run up and them hitting their 52 week high, I'm thinking it might not be the best idea.

#1832 3 years ago

A guy in the UK is trying to convince the town to dig up and inspect the dump. Seems he threw away a hard drive worth 250 million in Bitcoin. Told them he would give them a quarter of it.
    They said no, too invasive on the Environment.
    Saw this on Business Insider.

#1833 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

A guy in the UK is trying to convince the town to dig up and inspect the dump. Seems he threw away a hard drive worth 250 million in Bitcoin. Told them he would give them a quarter of it.
    They said no, too invasive on the Environment.
    Saw this on Business Insider.

He tried that back in 2017-2018 too and they told him to pound sand.

On a side note, maybe I should have bought DOT this morning. It's up about 20% since I posted and 45% in the last 24h. I'm always afraid when things are in price discovery mode.

#1834 3 years ago

I've gotten GRT, COMP, FIL, MKR, ALGO, CGLD, OXT, EOS, XLM, XTZ, DAI, ZEC and ZRX all for free.
    I sold some of my LINK and grabbed some more SNX. I've been eyeing DOT and AAVE but it might not be the best idea.

Now you guys are just putting random letters together and making up stuff to punk those of us who know nothing about Bitcoin.

#1835 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Now you guys are just putting random letters together and making up stuff to punk those of us who know nothing about Bitcoin.

Well, when you are too late to get in on a name brand crypto, you can also invent a new one and pump it up on social media as "the next [...]", or "better than [...]".

#1836 3 years ago

maybe I should have bought DOT this morning.

The Department of Transportation is a difficult entity to invest in.

#1837 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Just this particular Poster, no "You guys"

#1838 3 years ago

He tried that back in 2017-2018 too and they told him to pound sand.
    On a side note, maybe I should have bought DOT this morning. It's up about 20% since I posted and 45% in the last 24h. I'm always afraid when things are in price discovery mode.

I like DOT a lot. You can stake it to for 12%. Think it’s in store for a big pump when coinbase adds it.

#1839 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I like DOT a lot. You can stake it to for 12%. Think it’s in store for a big pump when coinbase adds it.

Only up 80% in a week. Not enough to pay attention to.

#1840 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I saw that yesterday. I bought some but what a pain in the butt. I had to buy ETH from Coinbase, send it to Kraken and then buy the DOT.

I didn’t know until I did it that Kraken charges you to move it into their wallet after you transfer it to your address. So I got hit with double fees plus the buy fee from Coinbase for the ETH. Ugh.

Coinbase had me locked to only being able to sent $500 of the ETH I just bought until the transaction clears my bank.

#1842 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I read it, though I'll admit with my limited crypto knowledge I'm probably not realizing just how big of a problem tether can be for the crypto market as a whole. For those holding crypto, what are your thoughts after reading this?

#1843 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I read it, though I'll admit with my limited crypto knowledge I'm probably not realizing just how big of a problem tether can be for the crypto market as a whole. For those holding crypto, what are your thoughts after reading this?

Its an interesting read. If you are HODL, it doesn't effect anything you do. If you are playing with it daily, there is a very real possibility of a huge market correction.

#1844 3 years ago

I've read/listened to some followups which downplay this article. Partially it is because this has been a known issue for a few years and partially because there is still a believe that most of the money flows into Bitcoin via tether is still legitimate. The NY attorney general is investigating Tether to verify that what is doing is legit, and word is a decision may be made in the next 30 days. Yellen has also spoke out about more crypto regulation... so, let's just say these will be interesting times.

#1845 3 years ago

Looks like the bank that holds Tether's assets stepped up and is saying they have more than enough in reserves to cover all the outstanding Tether.

https://www.coindesk.com/tether-bank-deltec-stablecoin-reserves

I'd guess unless the bank is in on some type of scam, it's legitimate.

#1846 3 years ago

Looks like the bank that holds Tether's assets stepped up and is saying they have more than enough in reserves to cover all the outstanding Tether.
    https://www.coindesk.com/tether-bank-deltec-stablecoin-reserves
    I'd guess unless the bank is in on some type of scam, it's legitimate.

Some would argue that that bank IS the scam. But if the word of that "Deputy CEO" kid makes you feel any better... keep on HODLin' boys!
    The more I read up on Tether and the sketchy entities behind it, the more concerned I get about the entire crypto market. If they are minting their "stablecoin" without full backing (and they have yet to prove otherwise) and that is the predominant currency being used for the trading of crypto currencies (which it is) then the shit is really going to hit the fan when that accounting comes to light.

#1847 3 years ago

How is it the predominant currency used for trading? I've been buying crypto since 2017 and I've never used it. I've heard it represents less than 7% of Bitcoins value.

#1848 3 years ago

Great so it can tank Bitcoin and Raven will rise to the top!

#1849 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

How is it the predominant currency used for trading? I've been buying crypto since 2017 and I've never used it. I've heard it represents less than 7% of Bitcoins value.

1_khpKB3DTiXm8v05uZ9rCsA (resized).png1_khpKB3DTiXm8v05uZ9rCsA (resized).png

#1850 3 years ago

Wow- so most of the money is coming in from exchanges which aren’t regulated? They can substitute another stable coin if need be, I guess.
    The real danger is the leverage. These unregulated exchanges aren’t on the hook- Tether is on the hook. If there are 24b USDT in circulation and $5b total in the bank they have accounts- odds are they loaned $20b to these unregulated exchanges? At up to 100x leverage? I hope those exchanges have some great method of margin calls or cryptos keep going up forever.

What happens if quantum computers come on the scene and all bitcoins get mined by 2025? How will people computing transactions then be paid?

There are 1,905 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-explain-bitcoin-to-me/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.