Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey Pinside, so I just got my first ever LE Stern by trading my Star Trek Pro for an X-Men Magneto! Yay!

After playing and toying around with the game for some hours I got some questions I hope you can answer:

- What is the difference between the LEDs used in X-Men LE and Metallica LE? The X-Men ones look like wedges while the Metallica LEDs are bajonets? Are these different systems, or simply a change of sockets?

- The Magneto Spotlight appears to be a flasher. But it is lighted constantly on mine. A red LED was installed in it. Is this normal?

- Hypothetically speaking, if I put a 5v superbright white 4-smd-LED in that spotlight (thinking it was general GI) and it started smoking after 5 seconds and afterwards the spot doesn't light anymore and there is no more power: did I just kill the Tip122 at Q30? Hypothetically speaking of course

Finally, feel free to post your LED lighting ideas for better lighting of Magneto and Wolverine without killing the cool lighting aesthetics of the game.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Hey Pinside, so I just got my first ever LE Stern by trading my Star Trek Pro for an X-Men Magneto! Yay!

Robin,
Sorry to hear you getting ripped off like this.

#3 9 years ago

The spotlight is a #161...but you can use a #906 flasher LED in it. Don't put a regular LED in it, it will burn out!! It's usually always on, to brighten up Magneto...but I think it flashes on and off sometimes.

LEDs are the same as any other game...Cointaker 2-LEDs in #555 sockets. Did Met have #44 sockets? If that's the case - same LED, different socket.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Robin,

Well, unfortunately I also had to put down some cash with the trade

Quoted from Rarehero:

The spotlight is a #161...but you can use a #906 flasher LED in it. Don't put a regular LED in it, it will burn out!! It's usually always on, to brighten up Magneto...but I think it flashes on and off sometimes.
LEDs are the same as any other game...Cointaker 2-LEDs in #555 sockets. Did Met have #44 sockets? If that's the case - same LED, different socket.

Makes sense, but only after I saw the smoke coming from that regular LED, last night and I thought I'd do a quick mod brightening up magneto from that spotlight. I feel stupid now.

So I guess I'm gonna have to replace that TIP122. Never soldered on a SAM board before. Joy.

As for Metallica, yes, they're all #44's. Aha, so Metallica LEDs are the same LEDs, just in a different package.

#5 9 years ago

Rarehero is right. I tried a normal bulb in it and it started to smoke. Changed it to a purple 906 and it looks great and no smoking issues.

I also recommend adding gels to certain inserts. Villains for sure. Here is a thread I started on it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-xmen-le-lighting-mods

Robin - if you want I will send you a set of gel inserts for free as I did for a few other pinsiders. Least I can do for all your great work in maintaining this site! PM me if you want them.

#6 9 years ago

By the way, I think this game rocks! Love the gameplay and rule set!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#7 9 years ago

Xmen LE is a great game. I doubt you fried a transistor putting in a regular bulb. Insteas probably just smoked the led. Might have to replace the bulb socket worst case. I use 906 flashers in this socket.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Robin,

In fact, the guy who traded Star Trek got the worse of this deal.

Robin, I doubt your smoking 555 would have damaged the board. Hey, it could have but I don't think so. Probably just smoked the bulb with the extra volts and should be fine.

Put a flasher back in there and run the flash bulbs test in the menu.

rd.

Edit ... MarkMon beat me to it.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Rarehero is right. I tried a normal bulb in it and it started to smoke. Changed it to a purple 906 and it looks great and no smoking issues.
I also recommend adding gels to certain inserts. Villains for sure. Here is a thread I started on it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-xmen-le-lighting-mods
Robin - if you want I will send you a set of gel inserts for free as I did for a few other pinsiders. Least I can do for all your great work in maintaining this site! PM me if you want them.

That's super nice of you. I like the looks of what you did with the gels so would be happy to try this on my game. I'll PM you my details.

Quoted from markmon:

Xmen LE is a great game. I doubt you fried a transistor putting in a regular bulb. Insteas probably just smoked the led. Might have to replace the bulb socket worst case. I use 906 flashers in this socket.

Unfortunately the socket seems dead. So I measured voltage at the connector and getting nothing. I guess that means I'm unlucky.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

By the way, I think this game rocks! Love the gameplay and rule set

Xmen has a stunning rule set now. If you want to see some game play through to Dark Phoenix, check out this thread. I've changed out the Wolvie for a Newton Ball, but same game play as a standard machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay

rd.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

That's super nice of you. I like the looks of what you did with the gels so would be happy to try this on my game. I'll PM you my details.

No problem. Do you want some for Metallica too? I added some to the fuel lights (there is a picture in the Xmen gels thread).

#12 9 years ago

Congrats on one of the best games ever,and one of the best looking

#13 9 years ago

You definately got the better end of that deal! Congrats....you will enjoy it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-x-men-led-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.