• Latest reply 8 years ago by webdiddy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0020.jpg
#1 8 years ago

The other day when powering on my LAH I noticed that when pulling the trigger it refuses to plunge the ball.
I also noticed that both the flippers are super slow and super weak, also the ripper coil is not firing nor the VUK by the crane.
So far I've only checked the fuses on the flipper board and they all have connectivity.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Try re-seating the connectors on the solenoid/driver board. Something similar happened on one of my machines and this simple step helped considerably.
The improvement may be temporary however, so you may need to re-pin the connections.
Good first step.

#3 8 years ago

Okay, so I checked the connectors to both the driver board and the flipper boards and they all seam to be seated. I've also checked all the fuses on the same boards and they all test okay.

Any other advice?

#4 8 years ago

try pressing down on the fuses hard on both Power supply and PPB see if the clips 'Y' out ...if they do...then they were gone anyways and you found your problem. Replace them all with high quality ones. Also reflow all solders on the power supply and PPB board headers. They need to be done . Every data east game I have ever seen needs this done.
Reseating connectors is merely a temporary fix if at all.

#5 8 years ago

All these coils are 50v coils right?
So I'm guessing that one or several components that's linked to them is the problem.
Anyone got an idea how they are connected? I'm not really up for reflowing everything just at this moment , especially if it turns out that the culprit it a transistor or a cap or something.

#6 8 years ago

What voltage do you measure from the affected coil lugs to ground? If it has a high power interlock switch inside the door push it in or pull it out until it locks...or raise the playfield on the kickstand and just close the coin door to take your measurements.

You have a meter and know how to take voltage measurements?

#7 8 years ago

I cannot be any clearer on what you need to do. I am not asking you to do things that are not necessary or are futile and will not help. Check your fuse clips [press hard] and check connector headers by removing the boards and looking at the headers for bad solders etc. If you are not up to the task try to find a pinball tech near you. Check the pinside map. maybe a fellow pinsider is right by you.
It sounds like your 50 volt fuse clip is failing on the ppb or you have bad solders supplying voltage to said coils. VERY COMMON PROBLEM and a known weak spots on these games.
If it was a cap or transistor we would have sent you in that direction.
Good luck and post what you find and we can help.

#8 8 years ago

Okay, problem solved.
Because I had trouble withe the 50V line I thought I'd better check that fuse more carefully and you where right Hawk007!
One of the fuse holder where really "wiggely" so I took the board out and this is what I found.

DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

Now that must be the worst case of cold solder I've ever seen but because the fuse clip in question looked newer than some of the others I'm guessing that someone serviced this board in the past and forgot to solder this clip in correctly.
Anyway, everything is working as it should now!

Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-weak-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.