• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20221217_083128186~3 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221217_083128186~2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221217-023803~2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wastedthelight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I've gone through many forms and videos, but they always talked about an entire row or column being out. My issue is that I have 5 out of 8 switches in the same column not working on my Flash. Only the three bumpers consistently work on Switch Matrix column 3. What I find most crazy is these three bumpers are not even wired in order, switches between them don't register. Every now and then though I can get the other 5 to register, but it's very very rare.

I've traced down the green/orange and confirmed a good solder connection at every point. Also the white stripe cable for the rows look good too at each switch.

I took the molex off of the board, pulled out the green/orange wire and tested by attaching the single wire to the board without the molex connector, same issue. I then pulled a different column wire (green/black) and directly attached to the molex pin on the board, allowing me to use different switches in test mode to get the non-working switch numbers to display (so switch 33 would display 17 on test). So this tells me that it's not a board issue, right?

No other switches outside of column 3 have issues.

Another fun fact. If I hold down a switch that isn't working and then trigger a bumper, I get bumper points and the non-registering same column switch points.

Attaching photos of matrix, and manual where I noted which order the green/orange connects to each switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

PXL_20221217_083128186~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20221217_083128186~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20221217_083128186~3 (resized).jpgPXL_20221217_083128186~3 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221217-023803~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221217-023803~2 (resized).png

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You said switch 11 would display 17 if you swapped column #2 and #3 wires, is that correct or a typo?

Sorry, yes that was a typo. Shouldn't have wrote that so late at night/morning. Ha. So clear this up, if I take GRN/BLK wire and attach where GRN/ORN goes instead, switch 33 will register as 17 100% of the time. So that tells me it's not a board issue. Same for the rest, GRN/BLK will trigger 21-24 without a problem using switches 37-40.

#4 1 year ago

Ah, another thing I just tested, if I take GRN/ORN and attach where GRN/BLK should be, the same switches fail to register anything to the corresponding GRN/BLK . Bumper switch's still work and display correct corresponding number on GRN/BLK.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Check continuity with a meter from switch to switch in the column. Just because you see a wire attached doesn't necessarily mean it is good. You also did not mention switch diodes, did you verify each switch has a diode, it is oriented correctly, not broken, etc.?

Continuity at every switch is good, I got tone when triggered by the switch....toned out jingle bells, haha. Each switch also has a diode.

During one of my tests just now, all switches worked. Then I triggered a bumper and then the five went out again, bumpers continued to work. Rebooted, only triggered switches known to have issues, dead again. Also if they are working, if I reboot the machine they tend to be dead again when it comes back on. I haven't found any consistency. Just turned

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

So I stopped working on this issue while I had the game torn apart to install a Hardtop. After putting it all back together the switches have been working. Knock on cabinet.....Maybe with all the work on the playfield and connections during the process I somehow fixed a short unknowingly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wastedthelight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-switches-in-column-not-working?tu=wastedthelight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.