(Topic ID: 60477)

Some rookie Q's I have.

By hool10

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern-ACDC-010512-047.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Been playing pinball for over a year now and my skills have become vastly better. Can you help me out though?

1) Ball Accuracy. Every tutorial out there says ball control this and that but it means nothing to accuracy. Aiming for that shot and actually landing the shot happens roughly 30%-40% of the time for me. The best players, particularly Bowen Kerins, I have noticed have superior ball accuracy. They call the shot and they nail the shot most of the time. Most of my games often involve fighting myself as I try and save the shot I just messed up. I need to get better at this and I know it involves more experience. Any tips?

2) Can you torque the leg bolts too far? There is an arcade nearby that I have quit going to. Most experienced pinball players as well. The machines barely nudge at all. I literally got pissed off the last day I was there a few months ago and violently shook the machine to see if the thing would budge. This was a STERN TRON and not an older machine. The thing didn't budge but was rock solid. It did tilt though. The arcade that now everybody goes to is far better in comparison. The machines nudge normally. Also I cannot perform slap saves at all when the machines are torqued to like 50ft/pounds. The only time I could was on a POTC in a bowling alley with no carpeting and could nudge it normally. So I'm not sure if nudging is affected by leg bolts along with carpeting.

3) Slap saving. This guy who mentored me but nobody has seen for half a year now could do these like nobody else. He would slap save every STDM shot and could even do outlanes as well. He sat in a chair and I nicknamed him the slap chop he was so good. However when I try them the machine sorta budges but has no effect on the ball. Then of course I do the half death slide thing and I can MAYBE save the ball.

3) The term "rainbowing". Does this phenomena exist? When you clean the playing field sometimes using a plastic polisher, it makes the ball go in random directions more because the playfield is now slippery? You must clean the playing field but waxing and polishing?

4) The cannon on AC/DC is the worst location ever because it covers up a critical spot. When the ball goes to the right outlane/inlane, you have to hope it's going into the inlane. One way I do this is blindly nudge the machine or crouch to eye level and try and nudge to get it into the inlane. Any way to work around this?

5) Ball spinning. I have always been baffled when balls would be going to a flipper then suddenly or slowly change direction to the middle. I had a conspiracy theory that boards were warped into a V but that is obviously stupid. However one day I did a perfect live catch and then the ball suddenly whipped out of the flipper and drained. It was spinning I noticed like a spinning top and once it gained traction on the rubber flipper it drained. Then I noticed my STDM drains had the ball spinning as well like a bowling ball. How do I prevent this? This never happens to anybody else that I have seen.

Stern-ACDC-010512-047.jpgStern-ACDC-010512-047.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Ball Accuracy - Its all about timing. And figuring out the timing will take practice. One thing to be aware of is that if the ball is coming down the lane to the flipper as opposed to from the open playfield, try and think of your shots like this: you are holding a soft ball and you under-hand toss it to someone else being sure to let it roll off your fingers. But a lot still comes into play like how fast the ball is coming down the lane. Anyway, the larger point being practice makes semi-perfect

The leg bolts are uniforming (or should be) tightened. If a machine isnt letting your do the maneuvers you want to without tilting, the tilt may just be too sensitive. Different machines definitely weigh different amounts but there shouldn't be problem doing what you are talking about.

3 + 5 are most likely related. Its like bowling (rainbow) until a ball is going just the right speed, the spin of the ball has no effect on its path. Definitely a waxed/ polished playfield will have different effects vs a non waxed. Spinning is greatly affected by the cleanliness of the rubbers on the playfield as well as the cleanliness of the flipper rubbers. I do find that white rubbers have more grip then black ones so maybe they help eliminate some of the spinning. Sometimes a ball gets really spinning and sometimes it doesnt. You'll learn to adapt to it.

This is all just my two cents. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on some of these things. Hope some of it helps.

#3 10 years ago

Practice makes perfect, don't try and hammer the ball you should caress it with well timed shots. When using flipper control don't go crazy just slow the flipper movement down.

Good luck but its true practice makes perfect.

#4 10 years ago

Tightness of the leg bolts should make no difference in being able to nudge. Carpet and those rubber leg adj. covers can make it difficult to slide save.

There is nothing you can do about spin reaction on the ball. Clean games do it. Dirty games don't.

Slap saves are a lost art. One variation I like to use is this. When the ball is coming STDM it will usually be slightly off center in one direction or the other. Try to determine which side it is closer to, then hold that flipper up. Then nudge the upheld flipper tip into the balls path. Now a quick flip of the other flipper and you will usually save the ball.

If you play enough AC/DC you will learn to nudge based on the balls trajectory towards the right inlane/outlane without actually being able to see that area. After several hundred games on AC/DC i'd say I actually lose the ball more on the left than the right.

Keep practicing. These skills take years to develop!

#5 10 years ago

1) Look at the flipper while you shoot, especially if shooting from a dead ball. If you miss, you'll know the position on the flipper needs to be earlier or later, and you can adjust to a more accurate shot.

2) No idea. I have seen a location that kept its leg bolts locked in position, literally locked, so nudging was not possible.

3) Not sure, but flip at the same time as you slap.

3) You had two threes. I've never heard of rainbowing, but double rainbowing all the way.

4) You're right to move your head into a better position. Long-term you'll eventually know the nudges you need while the ball is headed there. Best is not letting the ball get to that area in the first place.

5) Happens all the time. After a live catch, a quick re-flip should cancel the spin. Be ready for tap flips. This is probably the biggest danger of live catching; drop catches don't have to worry about this.

2 years later
    #6 8 years ago

2. All you need is a wrench and the right socket... go down there and loosen up all 8 bolts I'd say 3/4 a turn. then lift up one leg from the ground (using your body or a friend) and tighten up the two bolts with equal force on all bolts. (not much force indeed!). hold your wrench the same way - it'll be easier to measure the force you're applying. you can go from there - if you need to loosen or tighten the feel of the machine, by turning the same fraction of a turn on every bolt.
    -yes I would do this on a public machine when the operator is not around!

#7 8 years ago

I have placed "etched logo" star trek balls in my ST LE, which are slightly darker with the star trek insignia on them and it's great to see the spin for a change. You can trap the ball with a live catch, and watch it spin on the flipper rubber and understand what's going on. Entertains me no end.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from lshachar:

-yes I would do this on a public machine when the operator is not around!

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

This never happens to anybody else that I have seen.

Over time you will begin to learn to anticipate when the ball is spinning, and in what direction. Once you can do that you will be able to adjust your flipper action to suit. For example, if the ball only just glances a post on its left side, the post will slow down the left side of the ball causing it to spin counter-clockwise. If the ball has not hit anything else before it reaches your flipper, then you can expect it to shoot off to the side when it grips the flipper rubber.

Improving the accuracy of your shots (using the advice of others above) will also reduce the amount of times you have to deal with a spinning ball.

It's a lot like table tennis. A good player can read the type of spin on the ball based on how the opponent hits it, and then counteract or completely overcome that spin with their own desired spin (by adjusting the power, angle, and timing of their swing). A less experienced player would instead hit it with a flat bat and no consideration for the spin at all. They then scratch their head and wonder why their shots always go off the table at a 90degree angle

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-rookie-qs-i-have and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.