8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have been working on a sort of "fan site" for my first EM which is the Bon Voyage. I have been casually searching here and there for other examples that I can use for inspiration. Here are a few I found so far. I was wondering if anyone has made a list of similar sites?

This one is pretty good for the Fathom:

http://www.pinball.yoo-design.com/

This is a really good one IMO (although heavily relying on Flash which is going away):

http://firepowerpinball.com/

I found this while looking through Vid's pop bumper guide. In here it was written:

vid1900 said:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/ is the greatest effort "fan site" for any pinball machine ever.
    Excellent work.

Agree 100%

Then they got "the letter".......

In relation to what is written above, I am presuming that they received a copyright/intellectual property notice about information on their website. That topic is basically my second question. If anyone has any links to further discussion about putting details about machines on websites I would like to read about it.

Based on what I have read so far, which includes information about the infamous ballsofsteel website, it seems to me that the main topic of concern is the specific graphic design of plastics. For example, on the firepower webpage, while there are some small non-downloadable images of the plastics, there is nothing detailed that can be downloaded. Based on the fact that they have very nice, high-quality, high-resolution documents for virtually every other aspect of the machine, I would make the presumption that they have in their hands similar-quality files for the plastics, but these were taken down from the website, much like the ballsofsteel site being closed down because from what I understand it consisted of scanned images of plastics.

On this site and others including IPDB, I see rampant examples of detailed backglass photos, playfield photos and drawings, and all sorts of schematics, manuals, score cards, etc. So it would seem to me based on what I observe that all of that stuff is OK for sharing in the pinball community (and the world), but the plastics are "off the list" due to the desire of the owners of that property. Since I am new to all of this and I am sure it has been discussed, I am interested to know more.

#2 8 years ago

Copyright laws for visual artists are pretty simple. First off, the moment you create ANYTHING visual—paintings, drawings, photographs, sculptures, etc—the only person who is allowed to copy that art is you. If you decide to sell prints of one of your paintings, you can. If anyone else does, without your written permission, you have the right to take them to court and sue for damages.

You should also be aware that even after selling an original work of art to a collector, you still hold the copyright to it. The buyer cannot make prints or sell copies of your art unless you’ve given them that express permission in writing. Don’t upload anything you don’t own. You should never upload an image you don’t own, or weren’t given written permission to use.

In addition, just because you were given permission to use someone’s photograph or artwork on your blog, on your website, in your newsletter, or in your publicity materials (etc) does not mean you were given permission to use that same image in your social media networks.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/FZIUA9UIYbg

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

On this site and others including IPDB, I see rampant examples of detailed backglass photos, playfield photos and drawings, and all sorts of schematics, manuals, score cards, etc. So it would seem to me based on what I observe that all of that stuff is OK for sharing in the pinball community (and the world)

Here on Pinside: No, it really isn't OK (but it happens, doesn't it?)...as far as IPDB goes, this quote below is on the main page:

All copyrighted and trademarked Gottlieb® material licensed from Gottlieb Development LLC.
    Copyrighted and trademarked material from Planetary Pinball Supply, Inc® used with permission.
    All photographs licensed from original photographers, who retain their copyright. Do not use without permission!
    Site design, phrasing, and other local content copyright 2004-2015 by The Internet Pinball Database™.
    Where appropriate, other trademarks & copyrights remain property of their owners.

#4 8 years ago

I get what you are saying, but let me rephrase this a bit. I don't intend to use anyone else's photograph or graphic file that they created. I would do everything myself. So, OK, on IPDB you have photographs - these are just photographs of pinball machines that somebody took in their gameroom. Yes those photographs are their copyright. So I can take a photograph of my own pinball machine, and that becomes my copyright because I took the photo. But if the photograph, for example, is of a backglass, then that artwork in the photograph is the copyright of the whoever owns that right, the original artist, or company or whatever. I suppose it is the same idea of posting a photograph of a famous painting. No one is going to confuse your photograph of the painting with the original painting.

#5 8 years ago

Basically, if it is your intent to scan or photograph artwork for the purposes of distribution or reproduction, that is frowned upon.

It's easy to tell the difference between that, and just a random photo of your game posted online.

#6 8 years ago

OK, that makes sense then. Nothing wrong with pure "fandom", and that's all I'm planning to do.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Basically, if it is your intent to scan or photograph artwork for the purposes of distribution or reproduction, that is frowned upon.
    It's easy to tell the difference between that, and just a random photo of your game posted online.

As far as the pure black and white of copyright law goes, photographing a copyright work is considered a way of reproducing the work, and this is an act which the copyright owner has the exclusive right to do. This is why you may need to get prior permission to include a copyright work in your shot. Technically, it does not matter what you intend, nor does it matter if you you profit from it or not.

There are other factors to consider: if the art is beyond a certain age, what country you are in, is it displayed in a public place, etc... http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/sme/en/documents/pdf/ip_photography.pdf

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

As far as the pure black and white of copyright law goes, photographing a copyright work is considered a way of reproducing the work, and this is an act which the copyright owner has the exclusive right to do. This is why you may need to get prior permission to include a copyright work in your shot. Technically, it does not matter what you intend, nor does it matter if you you profit from it or not.
    There are other factors to consider: if the art is beyond a certain age, what country you are in, is it displayed in a public place, etc... http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/sme/en/documents/pdf/ip_photography.pdf

Yes, I was over-simplifying the concept to be more easily understandable.

This is why if you see a pin in a TV show or movie that the backglass is hidden or altered to hide the logos and artwork.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-questions-about-websites-dedicated-to-one-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.