beer.jpg
Comet_-_Day_4_005.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_026.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_030.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_018.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_017.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_014.jpg
Comet_-_Day_7_010.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I love dirty to clean progress pics so hopefully someone else does too.. enjoy

www.pinballrestore.wordpress.com

Comet_-_Day_7_010.jpgComet_-_Day_7_010.jpg Comet_-_Day_7_014.jpgComet_-_Day_7_014.jpg Comet_-_Day_7_026.jpgComet_-_Day_7_026.jpg

#2 11 years ago

some more

Comet_-_Day_7_017.jpgComet_-_Day_7_017.jpg Comet_-_Day_7_018.jpgComet_-_Day_7_018.jpg Comet_-_Day_7_030.jpgComet_-_Day_7_030.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Still to go:
Pop bumper overhaul
Flipper overhaul
Ramps
Target decals
Cabinet touchup
Board work

#8 11 years ago

No touch ups on this one but lots more pictures on the website in the first post if you're interested. Just click on comet in the first post.

#10 11 years ago

You need to lighten up crash.

#13 11 years ago

Just because we're Tennessseans doesn't mean we're stupid, just saying.

Who said anything about Tennesseans? I've lived in this state for 16 years Crash, more than I've lived anywhere else. As far as stereotyping operators, it wasn't just "one wirenut that I needed to put on in the field in order to get it up and earning again", it's 8 wirenuts on a lamp matrix column where the header pins and connector were replaced. 8! And there's 4 more in other places in the machine on top of that.

And really, it's a blog dude. I wrote it with humor in mind to keep from it getting so boring.

I'm over it.

Just so we're all clear, this is what we're talking about:
"So let’s open up this backbox and see what we got going on. Holy crap.. what the hell is that? Yeah, I smell chicken fried chicken too. That connector there, the one that’s a lot “whiter” than the others under all that black crap, burnt up probably a number of years ago and was replaced. Johnny fix-it apparently knows how to replace header pins and crimp trifurcon connectors.. good job Johnny. But he was obviously hungover for the “don’t use wirenuts in a pinball machine… ever..”-class. Honestly I have no idea how you can go through the trouble of pulling the board, desoldering header pins, reinstalling them, cleaning it up, probably fixing traces, and then wirenut the wires together.

Have you ever seen a wirenut in a desktop computer? Do you wirenut your shoelaces together before leaving for work?

Comet_-_Day_4_005.jpgComet_-_Day_4_005.jpg

Post edited by absocountry2 : Parts of posted edited to comply with forum rules

#18 11 years ago

Target decals if you can find them. The foam backers are a no-brainer. Cheap and quick to remove/install and on those machines where the plastic doesn't cover the backing it looks so much better. Plastic acorns or nylon locknuts (depending on game) are cheap. Anything else is going to be more high dollar: ramp protectors, new plastics, etc.

That's about it on top. Obviously on the bottom: flipper rebuilds, all coil sleeves, general cleaning (wood, lamp inserts). I always vacuum the cabinet out and usually wipe down all the wires (yeah.. all of em).

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I've always just used 3/8" foam weatherstrip from Home Depot for this. Always replace the beer seal on the lockdown bar with this as well.

trip to the DeePo is in order!

#27 11 years ago

Planetary pinball had one set. Little shop of games had the other. Still can't find the single drop target decal though. Thinking about going custom on it as I can't even find a good picture of it.

This thing should be out the door by next weekend if all goes well. No more room in the shop budget for new ramps unfortunately. We'll just make do with what we have! (after some repair)

#31 11 years ago

That's it! Man I swear they didn't have that last week.

#35 11 years ago

Playfield getting close.. some more lamps to replace, million decal, drop target decal, fix the corkscrew ramp and topside is done. More board work than I expected.. will post more later.

Comet_-_Day_11_009.jpgComet_-_Day_11_009.jpg Comet_-_Day_1_(1).jpgComet_-_Day_1_(1).jpg

#37 11 years ago

updated.. thanks grh450 for the image, I posted it as well in case anyone is ever looking for them again.

http://pinballrestore.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/re-assemble-re-e-assemble-and-some-more-board-recon/

#39 11 years ago

Bah no packages today... Cabinet touchup tonight?

#42 11 years ago

Thanks! She's getting there Joe! Almost sad to see it go back on route.

#44 11 years ago

Same laundromat. Hopefully it won't get trashed too soon.

#49 11 years ago

I figured it would work well but it certainly exceeded my expectations. I don't know why I didn't get one sooner.

#50 11 years ago

So after fixing quite a few board issues I've got it narrowed down to a small laundry list:

Switch matrix: every switch in column 4 causes it's corresponding row to activate. I'm going to have to double check the transistors I put in. That part was pretty hacked up and I had to use two jumper wires on col 4 & 5. Col 5 works fine though. Disconnected the pf connectors and jumpers col 4 to isolate to the board.

Spec solenoids: f2 blows at startup unless you remove IJ19 connector to the spec solenoids. Transistors down there are a little hacked up too so I'll have to take a closer look at that as well.

Not actively looking for advice but feel free to offer since I'm just sitting here at work now anyway.

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-progress-on-a-comet-shop-job?tu=mystic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.