Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 147 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photosig10.jpg
    arrow_down.gif
    Drain_em_DRY_!!.jpg
    green-ranger-to-tha-rescue-meme-genera.jpg
    dixie-flag.gif
    Family_Guy_,_NGG_&_Bride_of_Pinbot_018.jpg
    train-wreck_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    Capture.PNG
    can_of_worms.jpg
    IGNORED.png
    Santas-Hat-icon.png
    boohoo.gif
    Obama_Official_Food-Stamp_bill.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Dang I just saw a post, some user on here has every LE known to man. Tron LE, AC/DC Premium, Wolverine LE, Decepticon LE and many many more. I'm still trying to save for a Premium Avengers.
    Some of these pin collections are just insane!

#2 11 years ago

ya, its life man. some of us are poor (in the poverty income level). some people have professions and make millions. just wait until obama passes a pinball tax...

#3 11 years ago

I don't make much, but I save up for pins with most of my paychecks.

#4 11 years ago

It no doubt is easier if you are rich. But i am not rich by any means and still have a hell of a collection. Its just a matter of how you spend what you do have. I do not go and buy new cars, I dont have a car payment, if I cant pay cash, i dont buy it. I dont have any credit cards to speak of. We have one credit card, a disney card, and use it to gain point/rewards, we do not charge anything on it that we dont have the cash to pay for. So the balance is 0 after each month. The wife has told me to buy things that i want, ie newer trucks, motorcycle, etc, but each time i get ready to, i see another pin that i would rather have. Those that go and charge a new game on credit and make monthly payments are the ones that i think are stupid. If you cant aford it then you really shouldnt buy it. Overspending is how so many have gotten into trouble in this country. I did this years ago, and learned my lesson. I have then changed my attitude and my spending habits and have been fortunate. Now if i did get in a bind, with the market rising on pins, i could easily unload some and be fine.

#6 11 years ago

Recently my credit score took a minor hit due to 'lack of revolving credit'. I take that as a compliment and a big fat f*** you to the banks. Don't want em, don't need em. World would be fine with them down-sized.

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. Credit cards can suck my big giant hog.

I have all LE's in my collection and two A list Williams/Bally titles. Bought with honest hard 6 day work weeks. ( past 12 years!).

Post edited by SealClubber : Language

#7 11 years ago

It is about choice, I drive a 6 yo car, I do not travel overseas
    I have been collecting for 30 years, I do not feel the need to buy every new Stern that comes avaliable

#8 11 years ago

This thread and poll should shed some light on the subject:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-if-pinball-really-is-a-rich-mans-hobby

#9 11 years ago

I can only speak for myself, but me and the misses can't complain in the salary department. And we got a lot of help (not for the pins of course) from our parents with buying and renovation our home. So now we can spend much more money on pins. We are very lucky. Ok there are who can buy even more, but there are WAY more who have to settle for less. So all in all, if you can share a hobby like pinball, life isn't so bad for any of us here i think. Ok some have (way) more then others, but we all got disposible income to spend on this hobby.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Recently my credit score took a minor hit due to 'lack of revolving credit'. I take that as a compliment and a big fat f*** you to the banks. Don't want em, don't need em. World would be fine with them down-sized.

I will speak for the "banks" since I own a mortgage company in this one(although technically I give a big middle finger to banks as well). This really can be a negative and haunt you down the road in buying cars and houses(big purchases), I see it day in and out in qualifying my buyers. Open the credit use it sparingly or shred the cards and never use it after once, it will help your credit in the long run. Sorry had to chime in I see so many people come through my office that I want to help and can't for various reasons like that. But as you said you are technically in the right not running up credit cards, crappy credit driven world we live in.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a pinball life!

#11 11 years ago

Do like I do ,, Buy 1 Play it , Enjoy and Sell.. Keep the under 4k titles a Lil-Longer ..

#12 11 years ago

Debt free lifestyle is a key to freedom. Before selling my Employee Benefit co 4 years ago to a large Credit Union, one of our main planning strategies focused on helping clients become debt free as quickly as possible. Life is always easier when this is achieved.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

ya, its life man. some of us are poor (in the poverty income level). some people have professions and make millions. just wait until obama passes a pinball tax...

I hope he passes a stupid tax. That would kill the deficit, save social security and might actually shame people into trying to learn something.

#14 11 years ago

I hope he passes a stupid tax. That would kill the deficit, save social security and might actually shame people into trying to learn something.

Yea Rite ,,, The non-work-n LaZZy people will be driving Mercedes under our Newly Elected
    ( 4 More Yr's of BS ) Pres- .. And Who's to Blame , There's Thread's here that indicate who voted him back in .. Our President wanted his Face on a Bill ,, He Got it ...

Obama_Official_Food-Stamp_bill.jpgObama_Official_Food-Stamp_bill.jpg

#15 11 years ago

interesting point of view and topic.

what the heck is "rich" anyway?

I dont make much money, but i have no debt and a pretty darned awesome collection that i have grown over the past 5 years.

some people hustle and some people get hustled.

I also dont covet what someone else has that i dont. I earn what i get. If you want it too, go figure out a way to earn it.

If you want a basement full of LEs, look at your lifestyle and change it so you can. If you have a crappy job, figure out how to get a better job. If you spend too much, figure out how to spend less. If you get crappy pinball deals, figure out how to get better deals.

God Bless and Happy Birthday Jesus!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Yea Rite ,,, The non-work-n LaZZy people will be driving Mercedes under our Newly Elected
    ( 4 More Yr's of BS ) Pres- .. And Who's to Blame , There's Thread's here who indicate who voted him back in .. Our President wanted his Face on a Bill ,, He Got it ...

^^^ I can't agree more.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Debt free lifestyle is a key to freedom. Before selling my Employee Benefit co 4 years ago to a large Credit Union, one of our main planning strategies focused on helping clients become debt free as quickly as possible. Life is always easier when this is achieved.

I agree with this to a point. If you are in debt and cannot get out and are just going deeper and deeper into debt, then yes, that is a bad situation and I would want to "get out of debt".

Now using debt wisely to make a large purchase (like growing a business) then paying it down and borrowing again later on for something else to once again "grow" yourself is a smart way you can have debt.

It's the mentality of how you use the debt that counts.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwizardz:

Dang I just saw a post, some user on here has every LE known to man. TRON LE, AC/DC Premium, Wolverine LE, Decepticon LE and many many more. I'm still trying to save for a Premium Avengers.

And some people are quite nosy in areas that are not their business

Also, I don't make tons of money, but always have cash or pins. I do spend loads of time fixing and selling games on the side at times though. Get a hobby on the side that makes a few bucks. I also go to Goodwill, buy vintage shirts by the pound and sell on ebay. All money for pinball

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

No, it won't.

#20 11 years ago

Saw this somewhere for "household":

0-50k - Lower

51-250 - Middle

251+ - Upper

Doesn't seem like 50k is really lower and $250 definitely sounds rich but then again we tend to get stuck in the past.

45k in 1985 = approximately $115k today.

#21 11 years ago

Dang I just saw a post, some user on here has every LE known to man. TRON LE, AC/DC Premium, Wolverine LE, Decepticon LE and many many more. I'm still trying to save for a Premium Avengers.

And I've noticed the same type of collectors here have NOT donated to Pinside. They have 75 pins have high karma but never donated to this site. I find that more interesting.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I will speak for the "banks" since I own a mortgage company in this one(although technically I give a big middle finger to banks as well). This really can be a negative and haunt you down the road in buying cars and houses(big purchases), I see it day in and out in qualifying my buyers. Open the credit use it sparingly or shred the cards and never use it after once, it will help your credit in the long run. Sorry had to chime in I see so many people come through my office that I want to help and can't for various reasons like that. But as you said you are technically in the right not running up credit cards, crappy credit driven world we live in.
    Merry Christmas to all and to all a pinball life!

It only hurts if you need to use credit to buy something. When one is debt free it is pretty easy to save large amounts for big purchases and credit is not needed. That is one problem, everybody thinks they need a good credit score. Many of our parents operated without credit. We do not neet to operate on credit. That is the way I am raising my kids. If you cannot pay cash, you cannot afford it.

#23 11 years ago

I have a friend who has a vending business and he went into the place of business that I work for and bought a $5000 sink bowl. My whole bathroom didn't cost that much. Another customer bought a toothbrush holder, tp holder and towel bar made out of gold to the tune of 7K. The way that I look at it is that it is none of my business who buys what, and how many of anything, may it be pinball machines or anything else, so I do not ask. The reason is this. If someone went to school and got a degree, inherited money, invested, or anything else that gave them a bigger bank account then me, more power to them. Yes, I do wonder what some pinsiders do to afford every new pin that comes out, but I am not much of a go-getter so if I cannot afford every NIB pin out there, it is my fault, not anyone elses. I have way more than some people and way less then others. If someone saw some of the games in my collection they would wonder how I could afford such a mint condition Champion Pub for my lineup, but the truth is that I traded a beautiful machine that I had put aside for just an occasion. I held on to the game for years and I would have only traded it for a CP. Where there is a will, there is a way. Patience paid off. At least to me. If I sold the game years ago, I would not be able to afford a CP today. That is one way I did things. Everyone has there own. And part of that is that some collectors simply have better paying jobs than me. And they have every LE known to man. Thats just the way of the world. Are they happier with their collection then me? Am I happier than anyone with a lesser collection? I guess its all relative to what we have and the value we put on it. I cannot enjoy someone else's collection, just mine. I do not own any NIB LE machines, but I did have a blast playing pinball with my son tonight. And that to me is more important then what others have in their collection.

#24 11 years ago

I have bought 6 Pinballs since September/October I am quickly running out of funds only enough for 1 or 2 more.

Need to get back to work rather than play pinball

#25 11 years ago

We should assume anyone buying nib pins can afford it...

#27 11 years ago

If it makes you feel better, most people who have collections of all "A-List" and LE pins, all bought within the last year or two, absolutely suck at playing pinball.

#28 11 years ago

Some people flaunt everything, some people have a lot but are humble and keep to themselves.

You could probably tell who likes to show off their collection on here, IE buy a game and show your entire full collection off when you get the one pin in, some get one pin in and only show that.. and don't want to show anything else.

I don't really like to show my stuff off, but I don't mind those that do.. people are people. What really matters is if they are cool enough to let me come over and play their machines.

#29 11 years ago

most all "rich people" I come across are "mentally poor" those who never feel rich , they are just in a higher level of poverty ... I know people with the most expensive fishing gear that would last about 3 min in the wild on their own..

I just glad these guys are buying machines made here in the U.S. with U.S. parts although most the workers are spanish...and that too is Obama's fault(JK)..

just live within your meen's and play the crap out of cheap machines..

TJ

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

( 4 More Yr's of BS ) Pres- .. And Who's to Blame , There's Thread's here who indicate who voted him back in .. Our President wanted his Face on a Bill ,, He Got it ...

There is no shortage of non-workin' lazy people in states that went for Romney in the last election. The states that pay more federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits tend to be blue states, while the free-loading states tend to be red.

#31 11 years ago

There is no shortage of non-workin' lazy people in states that went for Romney in the last election. The states that pay more federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits tend to be blue states, while the free-loading states tend to be red.

I'd like to see that diagram .. NC is the Highest in the US on Gas Tax , maybe a few more .

And Why all the Thumb's Down on my Post Above , , opp's , voted him-n- Huh, boohoo.gifboohoo.gif

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Ad Why all the Thumb's Down on my Post Above , , opp's , voted him-n- Huh,

Look at it this way. Once we go into a depression maybe then pins will become more affordable since people will have to sell them off since they don't have a job

#33 11 years ago

This thread is headed in a bad direction. There are literally hundreds of websites with comments sections under political stories for your political rants, opinions and bullshit. If you really think that the world needs to be enlightened with your novel political opinion, they should be easy to find.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

We should assume anyone buying nib pins can afford it...

Lol. Why would you assume that? Americans are notorious for overextending themselves with credit/debt. Why would pin collectors be different?

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Lol. Why would you assume that? Americans are notorious for overextending themselves with credit/debt. Why would pin collectors be different?

Especially now that most machines can be purchased with a credit card. Most distributors will take credit cards on NIB purchases for a small fee and most collectors will take Paypal on used games if the fees are covered. So it's fairly easy to get into credit card debt from pinball machines.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

He been the best president for pinball love him or hate him but he is from Il. And that's where Stern is from see the connection. Recovery act has been fantastic for pinball buying after riders were added.

#37 11 years ago

You have a nice collection.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

( 4 More Yr's of BS ) Pres- .. And Who's to Blame , There's Thread's here that indicate who voted him back in .. Our President wanted his Face on a Bill ,, He Got it ...

They only give cards in Va now no stamps to save embarrassment in grocery line I think but makes it easier for the traders to trade plastic for pills at the food farmers market on Sat

#39 11 years ago

I think the important thing is to realize that it is possible to enjoy what you have.

I'm more content with a collection that hovers around 15 than I was at 30+

I've had pretty much every 'A' title, and while they were fun, I'm just as happy playing Rollergames or WCS.

Enjoy that you have pins, not everyone is so lucky, whether you're playing a Raven or a Big Bang Bar. There's no sense trying to 'compete' with other collections, someone, somewhere will always have more!

I know that probably wasn't the intent of this thread, but so many people go through life, thinking things would only be better if they had this or if they had that, that they don't realize what they do have

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Life is always easier when this is achieved.

So true, most people spend a majority of their wealth servicing debt. The problem is Americans have all bought into this BS attitude that if they lend me the money, that means I can afford it.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Because most sellers don't take visa for one thing

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

But most will take paypal I have purchased and sold a few machines with paypal and never had any issues. I know of the horror stories and how people are skeptical about using it, but if it's from someone trusted like a fellow collector then it makes for an easy transaction. JJ and Trent also take credit cards and I bet there are other Stern distributors who do the same. I don't get into pinball debt but can see how it can easily be done, especially with all the new games coming out and hype they all bring.

#43 11 years ago

Lets drop the political rantings, please. Lets keep this thread back on track with the wonderful topic of pin envy.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Sure they do. Indirectly via PayPal.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm kind of surprised more sellers aren't using Square for credit cards. It's a safe, quick and easy way to get payment, just the 2.75% on top, but I'm sure a lot of buyers would be happy to pay the extra percentage for it. Heck, it's cheaper than tax! Only about $25 per $1k. I guess it does leave a paper trail, but outside of that, might get a machine sold quicker. I very rarely carry cash, so especially a spur of the moment deal would be nice to use a card on, and then just transfer funds immediately (CC debt isn't something I do outside of maybe the occasional one month carry over on a large car bill or something).

On a more generalized note on this thread, it definitely helps to have the big bucks it would seem in this hobby, but smart living goes a long way. I learned a long time ago that my games, musical instruments, etc. were more important to me than trips to Europe, big meals, fancy homes, etc. Not saying I live in a run down place, it's actually a really nice house, but I bought under what I could afford, never had a car payment, never had CC debt. Literally, only thing I carry is my mortgage which is below what my wage could afford, rarely travel and cloth and eat at a reasonable rate. Doing all that allows me a good deal of spending money on fun stuff like pins even though I just have a solid middle class income (by today's standards at least).

It's all about what's important to you, but give and take. It's the same for the rich folks out there -- their gives and takes are just a little bigger than the rest of us

#46 11 years ago

take politics elsewhere, this is pinball. dont want to hear about obummer or dumney.. both parties blow. there is my 2 cents, keep this shit on pinball already.

#47 11 years ago

I can't wait until my house is paid off.

Once that happens, look out!

Meanwhile it's my modest collection & OPP for me (other people's pinball)

Naughty by nature reference: check

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Do like I do ,, Buy 1 Play it , Enjoy and Sell.. Keep the under 4k titles a Lil-Longer ..

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Wow, man. I guess that explains the grammar skills.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Sure they do. Indirectly via PayPal.

I would never take PayPal for a pin I don't care who it's from. PayPal can decide all on their own for no reason to just hold the money. You could refund it in that case I suppose and ask to be paid in another way. But still. All my pin sales have been cash. All local purchases cash and only nib took credit card.

Even so, an average income person usually can't get a credit card with enough on it to find a whole pin collection of A list titles. Maybe a couple or a few but not 8, 15, 30 pins lol

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I would never take PayPal for a pin I don't care who it's from.

I don't care.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen....all the time.

How do you think the majority of pins sold on ebay are paid for?

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-people-are-just-loaded-with-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.