image-535.jpg
image-865.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-456.jpg
image-405.jpg
image-304.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

We have an RFM at a local bar that my friends and I go to several times a week, and play regularly. It is in terrible shape with many switches out, lights out, flipper rubber split, and generally filthy. It has remained in this shape for two years now. We complained many times to the owner of the bar, who relays the issues to the op, but it never results in anything being done. We finally started calling the op's company direct ( number is on the machine ) to complain about the condition and how much money we contribute playing a barely functioning machine, and they claim they will make repairs, but when he showed up he only wiped the glass and said " I'm not rebuilding this #%*# machine". He didn't repair a single thing, not even the split flipper rubber. It's amazing to me that instead of having customers enjoy playing a good working machine and returning to play again, he is satisfied with collecting the money from it and leaving it to screw the next customer who feeds it, resulting in pissed customers and not much play.

I own a nice RFM and am very familiar with the minor issues that need fixed so it's not like it's a major investment to make it playable. Route operators like this suck and do damage to the hobby, chasing away customers who otherwise would enjoy the hobby.

#2 8 years ago

Hi
Yes many ops out there don't care so long as a coin is dropped inside....
WE hovever put all of our really nice, fully functional machines out on location, even more scarce titles....
There are a handful of ops in the Michigan, about half of them are pretty much the same as the guy with the RFM. I've sometimes tried to contact the Ops with the blown out games asking if they'd sell them, just so they can at least play right! Barely working, and with a price higher than that of a restored one

#3 8 years ago

In all fairness, there are some great operators out there. I don't expect a perfect machine, specially in the environment they are placed, but there is a point where SOME maintenance is just common sense.

#4 8 years ago

Turn it off everytime you go in? Maybe he will get the hint. My gut said jam screws into the coin slots, but that's extra evil... Haha...

Sorry. Games earn better when they're clean, but he sees it earning as is. I called an op on a Dirty Harry and a Fastbreak here, both had dmds out. He said they're still making money so he didn't want to fix them. I guess kids dropping quarters in them at the laundromat is good enough.

#5 8 years ago

Quality is relative,
but expecting quality out of Operator operators is illogical.
Now,
Collector operators should have their butts to the flames.

#6 8 years ago

All the ops in my area don't take care of shit everything is junk on route!!!

#7 8 years ago

Here's one of our locations that we have a league at. Tomorrow we are bringing up a stern stingray, just got a pf strip down, a zodiac, and a fully restored WCS
All games of course have flipper rebuilds/high tapped/etc
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Once road show gets off the rotisserie, that will be going out to!
It's awesome because my house is already filled to the top with machines, it's basically
Like storage that pays!

#9 8 years ago

Yeah by me there are some of the best Operators (They actually are there during leauge nights and will fix something easy or free a stuck ball) and then we have some of the worst operators that don't ever fix anything and some machines are the dirtiest i've seen.

#10 8 years ago

Many ops don't have a single pintech left in the company.

The collector kid will come out and take the cash and unstick a ball - but he has no idea how the pin should play.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many ops don't have a single pintech left in the company.
The collector kid will come out and take the cash and unstick a ball - but he has no idea how the pin should play.

Yep, especially true for the operators with a big company
Bigger the business, the less they care

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinwow:

Here's one of our locations that we have a league at.

Tri Zone on location! Awesome! I had one in my location for about 2.5 years, I doubt there are many out there for public play. Mine is taking a break now but it will be back eventually.

Quoted from Imeh:

We have an RFM at a local bar that my friends and I go to several times a week, and play regularly. It is in terrible shape with many switches out, lights out, flipper rubber split, and generally filthy

As I see it, you've got a few options:

1) Stop putting quarters in it. As long as it earns money, the op has no reason to fix it.

2) Explain to the bar owner that pins that are in good shape will bring in business. His bar will become a destination for people that want to play pinball. It doesn't take a huge lineup to become a destination.

3) Take matters into your own hands. Find someone who will put in good quality games and maintain them, hook them up with the bar owner.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

As I see if, you've got a few options:
1) Stop putting quarters in it. As long as it earns money, the op has no reason to fix it.
2) Explain to the bar owner that pins that are in good shape will bring in business. His bar will become a destination for people that want to play pinball. It doesn't take a huge lineup to become a destination.
3) Take matters into your own hands. Find someone who will put in good quality games and maintain them, hook them up with the bar owner.

This.

#14 8 years ago

Pick the lock, fix the game, lock it back up.

Smile every time you play it.

Modern padlocks are made so sloppy, they are just as easy to pick as the coin door locks.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pick the lock, fix the game, lock it back up.
Smile every time you play it.
Modern padlocks are made so sloppy, they are just as easy to pick as the coin door locks.

To make it more interesting; change the padlock.

#16 8 years ago

We actually did stop playing it for two months, didn't work. Talked to bar owner and offered to fix it, he hasn't got the keys. Bar has an agreement with the company restricting their ability to bring in another op ( they also have 4 pool tables and a bar top video ). We really thought when we quit playing it, they would repair it, but they didn't. We now play it as it is as a challenge. With all the switched that are out, the game is very hard to complete levels and make decent scores. Just sucks.

#17 8 years ago

My boss in coin op once said a cardboard box with a coin door will earn the same as a pinball machine...

I'm pretty sure he is right. No reason to leave the game like that and we keep our pinz in great shape most of the time.

Chris Kruger

#18 8 years ago

Find a new bar

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

We actually did stop playing it for two months, didn't work. Talked to bar owner and offered to fix it, he hasn't got the keys. Bar has an agreement with the company restricting their ability to bring in another op ( they also have 4 pool tables and a bar top video ). We really thought when we quit playing it, they would repair it, but they didn't. We now play it as it is as a challenge. With all the switched that are out, the game is very hard to complete levels and make decent scores. Just sucks.

It is obviously making enough money that he has not had any incentive to maintain it... heck even you are contributing to it!

Basically yes, some ops suck (broken ass games), some locations suck (breaking into games), and some players suck (punching through the glass, etc...).

But compared to 10 years ago, the pinball location scene is actually thriving, as close as I can tell. I live in a pin desert

#20 8 years ago

Agreed. Hold both parties to the operators agreement accountable by no longer patronizing the establishment, and let the bar owner know that you are taking your business elsewhere.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To make it more interesting; change the padlock.

That's so mean.

Seriously, the padlocks made today are so "loose" that I can't believe they are allowed to sell them as locks.

I would bet 95% chance the route guy would not even notice that the game had been re-rubbered and the bulbs were all working.

I might not be able to restrain myself from changing the marque message to:

"This game was vigilante serviced on 5/17/2015 by SUPERCOCK™ "

#22 8 years ago

Lol
I'd say to take out all of the balls, that'd be the only way to make them take the glass off.......
Actually I don't know if that'd even make the Op take the glass off

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

We have an RFM at a local bar that my friends and I go to several times a week, and play regularly. It is in terrible shape with many switches out, lights out, flipper rubber split, and generally filthy. It has remained in this shape for two years now. We complained many times to the owner of the bar, who relays the issues to the op, but it never results in anything being done. We finally started calling the op's company direct ( number is on the machine ) to complain about the condition and how much money we contribute playing a barely functioning machine, and they claim they will make repairs, but when he showed up he only wiped the glass and said " I'm not rebuilding this #%*# machine". He didn't repair a single thing, not even the split flipper rubber. It's amazing to me that instead of having customers enjoy playing a good working machine and returning to play again, he is satisfied with collecting the money from it and leaving it to screw the next customer who feeds it, resulting in pissed customers and not much play.
I own a nice RFM and am very familiar with the minor issues that need fixed so it's not like it's a major investment to make it playable. Route operators like this suck and do damage to the hobby, chasing away customers who otherwise would enjoy the hobby.

Gee that's to bad, our operators in the MPLS/SP area are all top notch.

#24 8 years ago

If you own a nice RFM why do you go play a shiesty one on route?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

That's what happens when you start drinking.

#26 8 years ago

Jam the coin slots with notes that say "please fix me, or no soup for you!"

#27 8 years ago

I live near Jungle Jim's - kind of a cross between a grocery store, mall and theme park. The store is so big, with so many departments that the staff at the customer service desk isn't even aware that there are pins on the premises. It's a shame, because the machines would be great if they were serviced every once in a while.

When a service tech isn't on site, the staff should at least have keys and know how to free a stuck ball.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

the staff should at least have keys

Never happen. Owner or operator will never go for it.

Great idea though.

LTG : )™

#29 8 years ago

There were a couple of bars back in the day that were staffed by the owner, and I'd give them keys to unstick balls.

The coinbox of course had a separate lock, lol.

#30 8 years ago

To me, a game playing that bad is almost like stealing money! That is totally unacceptable and it would probably only take 30 minutes to get it playing at least to a playable, fun state!

I have about 25 pinballs on location, and I feel bad when I have a burnt out light bulb on a machine!

So if you're ever in Vancouver, check out my stuffs!

www.eastvanamusements.ca

#31 8 years ago

The good ops out here far outweigh the bad ones. Good at rotating machines, buying the latest releases...and keeping them in great shape.

We are blessed..

#32 8 years ago

Found a Pirates of the Caribbean in a bowling alley outside of Ft. Meyers when my family was vacationing in Florida. Had never played one before, but it was in immaculate shape! Looked like it had just come out of a Stern box. That op was doing his job! I played several games because it played so great.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

To me, a game playing that bad is almost like stealing money!

It is.

But as long as players support it, it won't change.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Great idea though.

Maybe? I've got the keys to the tables of a local op here - I'm not working for the location though, just a customer.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Great idea though.

RFM has a special lock that only allows the glass to come out, not the coin door to open. It was done that way so locations could retrieve stuck balls IIRC.

Chris

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

Two guys that work for me and I go there for lunch several times a week. We always play a few rounds while we wait for our order. Little pinball competition during lunch is fun and gives them a great way to unwind for a short time.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Jam the coin slots with notes that say "please fix me, or no soup for you!"

I have no issues with this whatsoever.

#38 8 years ago

I wish I had a picture or video of the Medieval Madness I described from Brintle's Travel Plaza: https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/brintles-travel-plaza-mount-airy-nc

It's probably been on route for almost 20 years straight and it looks like the glass has never even been removed. The op won't sell it because he has delusions of wealth from the dozen offers I'm sure he receives every month trying to rescue it. I'm sure he still gets plenty of quarters from suckers trying to play it too.

Why don't people ever read the manual, clean games earn more!

#39 8 years ago

Just tape an 'out of order' note over the coin slot. Do it every time you go in and the game still hasn't been fixed. Attacking the operator's profits is the only way he'll take the hint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-operators-really-suck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.