(Topic ID: 56266)

Some nice looking EM classics just came up on eBay/other! :-)

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,642 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
EKEM 5 (resized).jpg
EKEM 4 (resized).jpg
EKEM 2 (resized).jpg
EKEM 3 (resized).jpg
EK EM 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
Hermans-Hermits-Peter-N (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png
6C006FCA-8C40-48D1-ADE4-DE1619B15E94 (resized).jpeg
4DB2B1EC-35DD-4CBF-A22F-AAD8E0E08419 (resized).jpeg
34C32548-2160-4CEE-BE55-F6B5E7471AA3 (resized).jpeg
7427C149-FD08-4B9D-B45B-FDC39BFCD4B1 (resized).jpeg
2569A4AC-A625-4ABB-B9CE-2BDDFD4C89AB (resized).jpeg
022DED1F-DB0E-47FA-A0D4-CC3AC023977E (resized).jpeg
4EBAC883-E2FF-4312-A410-BF53BD3CC32B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3970 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Fireball is flat out over-rated. But O-din will always defend it. I will say it is a fairly good for competition. However, it has a simple flaw making it a takes-for-ever game to play if you don't stop yourself.

Fireball is almost worth buying just for the great backglass art. The multiball and zipper flipper features (plus the spinning disk that made controlling the ball more difficult) were quite a novelty for me because that was the first time I saw these features when I played it at Phoenix airport every chance I got.

I've considered buying one off and on over the years but I'd like to put games together as a theme and Fireball seems better off being by itself unless you can think of another EM that would look good next to it?

#3973 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Theme or no theme I can think of several machines I want to put next to my Fireball. 4 Million BC, Nip-It, The Wiggler and Capersville to name a few. So I would have 2 themes going for me. "Bally" and "Zipper Flipper".

I was just thinking about games that would go well next to Fireball and I think other Bally games from similiar era would look good next to it, Wizard and Captain Fantastic would be two of them.

#3980 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Have the game at 3.5% pitch. It make the right balance and right glide of the ball. At 4.0% the game was easier which is not what I want. Also at 3.5% the skill shot is the right difficulty that I remember from 15-17 years ago.

How do you measure the 3.5%? I have a small level for leveling the playfield but it doesn't have degrees on it if I remember right. (will have to look at it after work today)

#3983 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I have an app on my Android called "Clinometer"

Nice tip, will use it with my Android too, thanks!

1 week later
#4035 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

But that glass doesn't look like a silk screened glass. I think stashy is right, it looks like paper.

The boxer in the Palooka backglass has black hair and Joe Palooka had blonde hair.

1 week later
#4040 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Definitely a cool weird theme and interesting artwork

I wish there was a "Frankenstein" EM pinball machine named after the 1931 horror classic. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

#4045 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

PinballFever said:
I wish there was a "Frankenstein" EM pinball machine named after the 1931 horror classic. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Close but no cigar
as a pitch&bat.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1648&picno=33742&zoom=1

Cool theme but it looks like the artist was on acid!

3 weeks later
#4109 8 years ago

I wondered what "conversion" meant too. Thanks for the explanation.

2 weeks later
#4129 8 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

You're both in luck, there are TWO chime units available at that price! ($130 each, in case the eBay auction ends early)

That's more than I paid for the game which has one!

#4139 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

to late.... someone got it by seconds. I goggled Fastenal locations first

Fastenal locations? Btw, it was close enough for me to pick up.

#4140 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Fastenal locations?

Never mind. I see Fastenal in the listing description.

#4152 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Minwax - fast drying Polyurethane - clear gloss - 1/2 pint.

I will have to try it. Good for selectively protecting parts of a backglass rather than TTing it?

#4154 8 years ago

I saw that. I'm still learning because I thought the school of thought was to TT the whole glass.

I've seen one suggestion for applying a clear cling wrap plastic after TT the glass to pressed the loose ink down.

Bruce

#4161 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

This product was mentioned a few weeks ago on a post dealing with ball arch restoration.

I see it's water based. It won't hurt the PF?

#4168 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I am conscious that this has been raised in a number of threads. In my view restoration inevitably involves compromises. The acrylic touch up paint is water based so to cover it with water based clear for me is ok. I have had no problems to date & feel that the finish & ease of application provides great functional advantage. If the pf gives in before me I will let you know.

Thanks. I'm learning here and wondering if it's ok to use water based wax when the PF still has the lacquer coating on it where it's not good to use when the lacquer's worn off.

#4170 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Just to clarify PinballFever I do not use a water based wax-this is the one I use & found it good to apply, good to remove, provides a great finish & quite durable.

wayner, thanks for the clarification! I googled "Minwax" and found they have quite a few different wax and poly products which can be confusing. I bought a can of Johnson paste wax and plan to try it.

1 week later
#4177 8 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

ebay.com link » 1974 Gottleib Atlantis Pinball

It's in Florida...

#4221 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

mushroom cloud of Fire bees and smoke into the air.

I wish I had seen it lol.

Bruce

#4223 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

It could be good for several cartoon episodes featuring your main character going "Nazi" on a termite infestation on his prized machine.

Great idea.

Bruce

#4235 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Jacks Open, Abra Ca Dabra, and El Dorado are all great 3" flipper GTB's too

How about 2" flipper games?

Bruce

#4237 8 years ago

North Star has great artwork.

Bruce

1 month later
#4333 8 years ago

I've played a nice Cross Town at one of the pinball shows in the past and it was fun but I think the title is over rated.

Bruce

#4344 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Thanks for the input, Bruce

You're welcome, Craig. I've never played Capt Card so I can't compare them but I like 2 inch flippers and drop targets if that helps.

Bruce

#4345 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I love "Cross Town"/"Subway"/"Flipper Fair"

For myself, I would definitely consider a Subway or Hearts and Spades because they're both AAB games and I've played the replay versions so I know they're fun games.

Bruce

#4349 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I saw a Flipper Fair on eBay for $600 a few weeks ago

That clown is creepy. I'm not sure why so many of them look creepy or ugly. Must be the artists.

Bruce

#4350 8 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I have almost no use for those 2" flippers

I'm the opposite way. The 2" flippers feel right to me game wise but the 3" flippers feel ok on certain games like Quick Draw.

Bruce

#4355 8 years ago

Seems like the word should be "Clownophobia". I'm not afraid of them but the clown theme doesn't appeal to me and most of the clowns on pinball backglasses really look ugly. They could be more cartoony and friendly looking.

Bruce

#4357 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Yeah, my gut is telling me to hold out for the AAB, which is also my preference.

I've noticed with the "Palooka" that I like the individual drop targets as opposed to a bank of drop targets. The bank seems easier to hit than individual drop targets.

Are there other good AABs with individual drop targets?

Bruce

#4382 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I really liked those drops on Palooka. Glad you are enjoying it too!

I'm enjoying it a lot! I've found the lower drops are more difficult because of the angles. You have to keep bouncing the ball around until you get it in the right place on the 2" flipper for a good shot.

I've almost rolled it over a couple of times so your high score of 10, 253 is in danger of being eclipsed by yours truly.

Bruce

Palooka High Score.jpgPalooka High Score.jpg

#4383 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

That's what I love about Teacher's Pet. There are only two drop targets but they were very creative in how they were used.

O-din's Teacher's Pet was a beautiful game. I just wish it was an AAB.

Bruce

#4386 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Well, it was just a whole different world. Men acted like men and women acted like women, the gender roles were more clearly defined. Women were 'happy' to be women.

This is why I married a Filipina. Most of them have retained the values that we had in the 1950s.

Bruce

#4390 8 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

You'd have to chuck it all.

I liked TCM too but no longer get it after we cut the cable and started watching Netflix and local HD programming with an antenna.

Bruce

#4402 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, but I know a guy who also married a Filipina. She sure is happy being a woman, and it sure is costing him!

I know what you mean. There are some Filipinas like that but I'm lucky that my wife is frugal with our budget.

Bruce

#4403 8 years ago

I notice the Palooka is a lot taller than the Paul Bunyan next to it (about 4"-5") I'm not complaining because I'm tall so it's a perfect height for me.

I do wonder if all Williams games are taller than Gottliebs?

Btw, I rolled over the Palooka today so now there's a new high score of 10,958 for the game by yours truly.

Bruce

PalookaHS.jpgPalookaHS.jpg

#4405 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Shouldn't be. Did Palooka end up with 31" legs and old Paul with 27"?

The legs they came with are 31" and 28 1/2". Is there a standard length for 60's Williams and Gottlieb legs?

Bruce

#4407 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Steve Young has a pretty good size chart at the bottom of the cabinet parts page at Pinball Resource to let you know what legs (type, size, and color) were used.

Thanks, will check it out.

Bruce

#4410 8 years ago

Williams changed their cabinet style A LOT during the early to mid sixties... I think something like 6 or 7 times but at least 6. But their leg length was usually either 28 1/2 or 31. Not counting legs like Teacher's Pet or Moulin Rouge, which had two different lengths.

This is very interesting. Is there a resource maybe online to find out which length legs the games got?

But judging from the year of 'your' game (Palooka '64) I would think it takes the 28 1/2 inch legs.

It's actually perfect height for me being 6' 2" tall and my wife likes to play the Paul Bunyan because it's her height. We play both games at the same time next to each other and I realized it's more fun this way where with a 2/4 player game you have to wait your turn.

And this was due to them coming out with a deeper cabinet, which required the shorter legs.

Thanks Pinballprowess. This information may not be new to some here but it's new for me and I'd like to know more about this subject.

Bruce

#4411 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

CactusJack said:
Steve Young has a pretty good size chart at the bottom of the cabinet parts page at Pinball Resource to let you know what legs (type, size, and color) were used.

Thanks, will check it out.
Bruce

I see from the chart that Williams legs from 1956-1966 were 31" and the Gottlieb single player legs were also 31" from 1956-1975 but it states the leg lengths for Multi Player games vary.

Bruce

#4419 8 years ago

I didn't expect an innocent question about pinball leg lengths to turn into this heated debate!

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

You could always contact Steve at PBR and tell him what machines you have and he will know the exact leg length they should be as there is much confusion with 60's Williams legs.

Called Steve and he says both should be 31" but I agree with Pinballprowess and DirtFlipper that it's probably not accurate because...

Quoted from SteveinTexas:

The rule of thumb on the height of a pin from the floor to the top of the lock bar is 36" - 37 ". Work your legs length from there.

The Palooka is a towering 40" where the Paul Bunyan is 36"

But judging from the year of 'your' game (Palooka '64) I would think it takes the 28 1/2 inch legs.

That does sound right when I look at the height of the Palooka from the floor to the top of the lock bar.

I feel like this should be a question on Who wants to be a Millionaire...

image.pngimage.png

Thanks guys as always. You all rock.

Bruce

#4426 8 years ago

So change out the the Palooka 31" legs for 28 1/2' legs and it is by your measurements now at 37 1/2" from floor. Close enough for me and the possibility of further reduction with the adjusters. No problem that I see.

How tall are you if I may ask? Being tall, the Palooka looks like a good height to me but I'll look into trading for or getting 28 1/2" legs.

You boys might as well take advantage of one of the few things I DO know about technical information. Ha!
And if I didn't have all of these sixties Williams hangin' around.... I wouldn't know THAT.

That's why I listened to you and DirtFlipper.

Bruce

#4427 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

PinballFever said:
Btw, I rolled over the Palooka today so now there's a new high score of 10,958 for the game by yours truly.
Bruce
Well that didn't take long. Congrats!

Thanks! My wife is now hooked on the Paul Bunyan. She's been writing down her high scores on a piece of paper.

Bruce

#4432 8 years ago

There is a '50's Knockout' on eBay right now and it is FS on Pinside to for 3K. Looks really good.

Steve,
It does look good but the price is way too rich for my blood to even think about it.

So if you get tired with the Palooka....However the legs I would need to change to 28 1/2" long.

I'll keep that in mind. We're playing both games daily and having a good time with them though.

I will be moving the United "Utah" pinball machine. My limit is 4 pinball machines due to space constraints and I have 5 right now.

Bruce

#4435 8 years ago

o-din,

I was looking at your new Pinside avatar because it seemed familiar then it hit me that it's Mort from your favorite comic strip.

You might enjoy this satirical piece by The Onion on the strip.

http://www.theonion.com/article/burned-lower-half-of-morts-face-revealed-in-bazook-2590

Bruce

#4442 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

1938 Bally Bambino

That looks like the sultan of swat himself on the playfield.

Bruce

6 months later
#4853 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

OMG, 1 owner in 51 years...pretty sweet Sweet Hearts. If I didnt have 1 right now... 15K on the play meter...
ebay.com link » Nice Gottlieb Sweet Hearts Wedgeh

I had a mint one with 12k plays that I sold in the 70's. It wasn't that much fun imo.

Bruce

1 year later
#5584 6 years ago

Are you sure it's a knock-off? IPDB.org indicates this is a prototype backglass unless that's what you mean by "knock-off".

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=11&picno=63863

Bruce

#5586 6 years ago

I wonder how rare it is even if it doesn't look as good as the current backglass.

Bruce

3 months later
#5669 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At Christmas people were taking turns just trying to light the 1000 and my little nephew got 995 and 998 and kept on trying. One guy got 1025 and walked away with a big smile on his face

I loved trying for the 1000 just to see that "1" light up! It wasn't easy with the Sweet Hearts I had.

Bruce

1 month later
#5697 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I did the same thing but never got caught. Trick is to keep moving them around so they all look the same.

Lol. There's a Pinball Fever cartoon somewhere in there.

1 month later
#5740 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

This Poker Face auction ends today (Starting bid is set at $650) not sure if it has a reserve
looks in fairly DECENT CONDITION
and not too overpriced with buy it now at $900
Location in CALIF.

ebay.com link » Poker Face Rare Vintage 1953 Pinball Machine

Free shipping? Did the seller make a mistake?

#5742 6 years ago

I didn't look at the description but I bet seeing that "free shipping" gave the seller a heart attack for a moment before quickly adding no free shipping in the description. (it looks like a fun game from the description)

2 weeks later
#5759 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Whoopee is one of the few 60s era EMs that I have never played or seen in real life, though

I played it as a kid at the Illinois State Fair.
It was fun trying to get all 5 balls on one side for the Special with the center 5-ball captive ball looping feature.
I'd buy it if it was local but would need to move a game first to make space.

2 months later
#5795 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Didn't see this one listed. There's a Jumping Jack for sale:

ebay.com link » Jumping Jack Non Working Project Pinball Machine Cheap

$250 starting bid in Medina, Ohio.

Correction: It's a Jack In The Box. (not a JJ) It went for $250.

#5796 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Didn't see this one listed. There's a Jumping Jack for sale:

ebay.com link » Jumping Jack Non Working Project Pinball Machine Cheap

Same seller has an "Atlantis" coin box.

ebay.com link: Original Gottlieb EM Pinball Machine Metal Coin Box NICE REPLACEMENT

5 years later
#6583 9 months ago

Wiiliams Grand Champion up for auction right now at a pretty good price. Local pick up Forest Lake, Minnesota.
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay?tu=PinballFever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.