(Topic ID: 56266)

Some nice looking EM classics just came up on eBay/other! :-)

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,642 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
EKEM 5 (resized).jpg
EKEM 4 (resized).jpg
EKEM 2 (resized).jpg
EKEM 3 (resized).jpg
EK EM 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
Hermans-Hermits-Peter-N (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png
6C006FCA-8C40-48D1-ADE4-DE1619B15E94 (resized).jpeg
4DB2B1EC-35DD-4CBF-A22F-AAD8E0E08419 (resized).jpeg
34C32548-2160-4CEE-BE55-F6B5E7471AA3 (resized).jpeg
7427C149-FD08-4B9D-B45B-FDC39BFCD4B1 (resized).jpeg
2569A4AC-A625-4ABB-B9CE-2BDDFD4C89AB (resized).jpeg
022DED1F-DB0E-47FA-A0D4-CC3AC023977E (resized).jpeg
4EBAC883-E2FF-4312-A410-BF53BD3CC32B (resized).jpeg
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 133.
#4151 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Ken can you tell me what the "liquid clear" I'd exactly that is used for small areas of flaking?

I got it at a local hardware store as they had a limited selection but it has been great stuff for minor clearing of Backglass and Playfields for me. Minwax - fast drying Polyurethane - clear gloss - 1/2 pint.

Ken

pinside_001.jpgpinside_001.jpg

#4152 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Minwax - fast drying Polyurethane - clear gloss - 1/2 pint.

I will have to try it. Good for selectively protecting parts of a backglass rather than TTing it?

#4153 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I leave Backglasses alone if they have no flaking, if they have some flaking I use a brush/ and or cotton swab to apply a liquid clear directly to the areas in need, if the Backglass has a lot of flaking then I spray Triple Thick to seal the whole thing.

Quoted from PinballFever:

Good for selectively protecting parts of a backglass rather than TTing it?

Ken

#4154 8 years ago

I saw that. I'm still learning because I thought the school of thought was to TT the whole glass.

I've seen one suggestion for applying a clear cling wrap plastic after TT the glass to pressed the loose ink down.

Bruce

#4155 8 years ago

I've seen one suggestion for applying a clear cling wrap plastic after TT the glass to pressed the loose ink down.

When the ink is totally shot then you can try the cling wrap thing with Triple Thick although it did not work for me, it just made more of a mess. I now just TT a Backglass that is in need of a complete sealing and hope to get a better one down the road if I plan to keep the machine for a while.

Ken

#4156 8 years ago

Wade does the highest quality work but the production runs are small and it's maybe a couple titles per year. He's done a handful of titles so far and there's aways a thread on here and RGP about upcoming titles and how to get on the wait list.

#4157 8 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Wade does the highest quality work but the production runs are small and it's maybe a couple titles per year. He's done a handful of titles so far and there's aways a thread on here and RGP about upcoming titles and how to get on the wait list.

But that's strictly bg, and not the pf ?

#4158 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I got it at a local hardware store as they had a limited selection but it has been great stuff for minor clearing of Backglass and Playfields for me. Minwax - fast drying Polyurethane - clear gloss - 1/2 pint.
Ken

pinside_001.jpg

If this was safe to use on the pf, I'd consider it . . . but I'm not up for disassembling / reassembling, if that's required. (The pf areas of greatest concern that I had in mind are mostly in open space.)

#4159 8 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

But that's strictly bg, and not the pf ?

other way around, play fields. Search on the interwebs, you will find info.........

#4160 8 years ago

wiponpoly.jpgwiponpoly.jpg

This product was mentioned a few weeks ago on a post dealing with ball arch restoration. I obtained it from a local Masters outlet (linked to Lowes of the US) and have found the product fantastic in playfield restoration generally. Easy to use & apply with great results.

#4161 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

This product was mentioned a few weeks ago on a post dealing with ball arch restoration.

I see it's water based. It won't hurt the PF?

#4162 8 years ago

On my 4MBC right down the middle there is a small "l" line of paint that has been removed to bare wood. It is right in the middle of the dinosaur there. To keep any more paint from chip/peeling do I just keep waxing the area every so often?

#4163 8 years ago

I see it's water based. It won't hurt the PF?

I am conscious that this has been raised in a number of threads. In my view restoration inevitably involves compromises. The acrylic touch up paint is water based so to cover it with water based clear for me is ok. I have had no problems to date & feel that the finish & ease of application provides great functional advantage. If the pf gives in before me I will let you know.

#4164 8 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

On my 4MBC right down the middle there is a small "l" line of paint that has been removed to bare wood. It is right in the middle of the dinosaur there. To keep any more paint from chip/peeling do I just keep waxing the area every so often?

That wear was probably there long ago back when the game was on route and being on and played throughout the day and night And may not have been waxed at all.

My feeling is now that they are in good care being cleaned and waxed regularly and not being used as much, then any additional wear in the future will be slim to none.

#4165 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Planking can be somewhat attributed to how a game is stored. High humidity/water can swell/shrink the top veneer on the play field and cause the paint to crack and eventually 'plank' with further movement and wear. I have found that the rotary cut veneer is much more stable than quarter-sawn flitches of veneer (also Wade's preference). IMO, once planking has started, the game will benefit from minor touch ups and sealing (your choice of several top coats). Also, keeping your games in a climate controlled environment is best.

Excellent statement stashyboy-thks.

#4166 8 years ago

Just recalled something and thought it should be tossed into the mix. I know someone who has a few pins on location. (Not sure if it should quite be described as a "route.") I overheard him mentioning the use of a marine wax -- as in for the hulls of boats -- with some implication being that this was better than Johnson Paste Wax . . . which is what I've been using. I didn't catch a particular brand or product, but intended to inquire the next time I run into him. Does any of this make sense, or ring a bell ?

#4167 8 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Just recalled something and thought it should be tossed into the mix. I know someone who has a few pins on location. (Not sure if it should quite be described as a "route.") I overheard him mentioning the use of a marine wax -- as in for the hulls of boats -- with some implication being that this was better than Johnson Paste Wax . . . which is what I've been using. I didn't catch a particular brand or product, but intended to inquire the next time I run into him. Does any of this make sense, or ring a bell ?

Collinite #885 Heavy Duty Boat Fleetwax

good wax

#4168 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I am conscious that this has been raised in a number of threads. In my view restoration inevitably involves compromises. The acrylic touch up paint is water based so to cover it with water based clear for me is ok. I have had no problems to date & feel that the finish & ease of application provides great functional advantage. If the pf gives in before me I will let you know.

Thanks. I'm learning here and wondering if it's ok to use water based wax when the PF still has the lacquer coating on it where it's not good to use when the lacquer's worn off.

#4169 8 years ago

Just to clarify PinballFever I do not use a water based wax-this is the one I use & found it good to apply, good to remove, provides a great finish & quite durable. I give it nine coats over the touchup & clear to solidfy the touchup. I have just completed the Golden Arrow pf upper which required significant touch up particularly of the lower yellow section.

minwax.jpgminwax.jpg

GApf9coats.jpgGApf9coats.jpg

#4170 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Just to clarify PinballFever I do not use a water based wax-this is the one I use & found it good to apply, good to remove, provides a great finish & quite durable.

wayner, thanks for the clarification! I googled "Minwax" and found they have quite a few different wax and poly products which can be confusing. I bought a can of Johnson paste wax and plan to try it.

#4171 8 years ago

I bought a can of Johnson paste wax and plan to try it.

Great stuff for EM waxing because it was formulated for wood, not metal.

Ken

#4174 8 years ago

I don't recognize a number of features on that pf, apart from what are probably a couple of gobble holes. There are some that look sort of like the rotary cutters on a Norelco shaver (?) . . . and what is that "cup" projecting upwards ?

#4175 8 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I don't recognize a number of features on that pf, apart from what are probably a couple of gobble holes. There are some that look sort of like the rotary cutters on a Norelco shaver (?) . . . and what is that "cup" projecting upwards ?

The one in the auction has broken off bumper bodies (passive bumpers, not pop bumpers). Only the skirts are left.

#4177 8 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

ebay.com link » 1974 Gottleib Atlantis Pinball

It's in Florida...

#4178 8 years ago

Atlantis!

ebay.com link » 1974 Gottleib Atlantis Pinball Machine

It's in Florida...

Maybe Free Termites

#4179 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Maybe Free Termites

Someone once told me that pins which have lived in Florida for a long time = free corrosion . . . particularly in interior places where you might not discover it right away. Florida pin owners will likely take exception to that. But couldn't this be said about much of the South, and other locations ?

You need not hesitate buying from us out West, however. Going into Year 5 of a severe drought . . . .

#4181 8 years ago

That very same King Tut "sold" in a no reserve auction for the starting bid of $99 a few months ago. Then was immediately relisted by the same seller for a BIN of $399. It didn't sell at $399 but I see it's back for another try. Shady....

Here's a link to the $99 auction that ended in June.

ebay.com link: RARE Vtg 1969 Bally King Tut Pinball Machine Williams Gottlieb 800 Made NR

#4182 8 years ago

Atlantis!

That price seems good if the PF and Glass are good. Metal can be de-rusted and polished. Wood can be painted (unless rotten).

What would shipping run me? I've never done that. How would I confirm with the buyer he'd allow that, as the ad only says "Local Pickup Only"?

Any Pinsiders in the Ft. Lauderdale area able to stop by and look at it?

#4183 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

That price seems good if the PF and Glass are good. Metal can be de-rusted and polished. Wood can be painted (unless rotten).
What would shipping run me? I've never done that. How would I confirm with the buyer he'd allow that, as the ad only says "Local Pickup Only"?
Any Pinsiders in the Ft. Lauderdale area able to stop by and look at it?

I think $400-$450 would be the shipping cost via STI.

Marcus

#4184 8 years ago

Wood can be painted (unless rotten).

Front of the cab looked like it was peeling/delaminating...hard to tell in pics but might have some wood issues

#4185 8 years ago

So question for you guys who are more experienced. Would it be worth it, let's say, to see if I can get this game from him for $200 or something, pay the shipping, and have a nice Atlantis playfield/parts/head/glass, but then work over time to find another cabinet?

Conversely, is it is just a nightmare to buy a game like this with a cabinet that could have termite or delaminating issues? In other words, not worth it? Not fixable really?

The playfield, mechanicals and metal parts I know I can restore/replace, but I'm not a wood-worker and am stuck on what I should do. Atlantis is one of my "Holy Grail" games and I don't see them come up that much. Shall I just be patient and wait for another to come up for sale?

I welcome your recommendations.

#4186 8 years ago

Sorry, duplicate of above.

#4187 8 years ago

So question for you guys who are more experienced. Would it be worth it, let's say, to see if I can get this game from him for $200 or something, pay the shipping, and have a nice Atlantis playfield/parts/head/glass, but then work over time to find another cabinet?
Conversely, is it is just a nightmare to buy a game like this with a cabinet that could have termite or delaminating issues? In other words, not worth it? Not fixable really?
The playfield, mechanicals and metal parts I know I can restore/replace, but I'm not a wood-worker and am stuck on what I should do. Atlantis is one of my "Holy Grail" games and I don't see them come up that much. Shall I just be patient and wait for another to come up for sale?
I welcome your recommendations.

Termite damage? No thanks. I'd recommend be patient and wait for the next one that is more local to you that you could play/check out. They're out there ....

#4188 8 years ago

There are folks who can just build you a new Cabinet and paint it if you don't want to wait for a used one which may or may not pop up. You just need to transfer the hardware and burn the old cabinet termites and all. I would check in your area for someone who can do this and get a price that way you know where you stand for total cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#4189 8 years ago

So anyone here buy the Gottlieb Atlantis?

ebay.com link: 1974 Gottleib Atlantis pinball machine

Ken

#4190 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

So anyone here buy the Gottlieb Atlantis?
Ken

Well that solved my dilemma. Wasn't me. I'll keep looking for my elusive Atlantis...

#4191 8 years ago

with all the rust on the outside I would bet the inside was just as bad.

#4192 8 years ago

I would have asked the Atlantis seller for more pics but I would have been real hesitant about buying that game from the looks of it without someone looking at it in person for you

#4193 8 years ago

Shall I just be patient and wait for another to come up for sale?

Yes. There are more out there that will pop up or become available. Seems like half a dozen appear each year at least.

(I've had four of them alone so far.)

#4194 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I've had four of them alone

2 here--sold both to make room for others higher on my list. They are out there.

I'll keep looking for my elusive Atlantis...

#4195 8 years ago

Ok well it's encouraging that they're out there. I will eventually have one! I appreciate any of you guys who aren't also looking for one flagging for me any you come across. Thanks!

#4196 8 years ago

I have a friend of mine who is going to let me know today if he wants to take the Atlantis I picked up. If he passes would you like me to let you know?

#4197 8 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I have a friend of mine who is going to let me know today if he wants to take the Atlantis I picked up. If he passes would you like me to let you know?

Sure!

#4198 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

with all the rust on the outside I would bet the inside was just as bad.

Not as bad as you think! I was hoping it was not going to be nasty in there but after a quick vac job it's presentable!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#4199 8 years ago

pretty nice! I see no signs of bugs. great score
I am guessing you got it for less than the 500 BIN

#4200 8 years ago

I paid the $500. Wedgeheads are not as plentiful down here as they are in your neck of the woods

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.