(Topic ID: 56266)

Some nice looking EM classics just came up on eBay/other! :-)

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,642 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
EKEM 5 (resized).jpg
EKEM 4 (resized).jpg
EKEM 2 (resized).jpg
EKEM 3 (resized).jpg
EK EM 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
Hermans-Hermits-Peter-N (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png
6C006FCA-8C40-48D1-ADE4-DE1619B15E94 (resized).jpeg
4DB2B1EC-35DD-4CBF-A22F-AAD8E0E08419 (resized).jpeg
34C32548-2160-4CEE-BE55-F6B5E7471AA3 (resized).jpeg
7427C149-FD08-4B9D-B45B-FDC39BFCD4B1 (resized).jpeg
2569A4AC-A625-4ABB-B9CE-2BDDFD4C89AB (resized).jpeg
022DED1F-DB0E-47FA-A0D4-CC3AC023977E (resized).jpeg
4EBAC883-E2FF-4312-A410-BF53BD3CC32B (resized).jpeg
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 133.
#4001 8 years ago

I've now played three out of the four and am very pleased. We put a few games on Wishing Well last night and it is just as brutal as any but very fun. New rubbers should give it some bounce. From what you guys are saying I am saving the best for last. Looking forward to those legs showing up so I can give Teachers Pet a whirl.

#4002 8 years ago

Teacher's Pet yet another game by the mystery artist
from early 60s BLY/WMS games
that are not Stenholm or Molentin

#4003 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Teacher's Pet yet another game by the mystery artist

Every early 60s Williams I have except Palooka seems to be a mystery artist. Maybe there was more than one.

#4004 8 years ago

more early 60s EM WMS mystery artist possibilities
Viking
Jungle
Magic Clock
Skill Ball
Trade Winds
Friendship "7"
Valiant
King Pin
Mardi Gras
Vagabond
Big Deal
Skill Pool
Big Daddy
Soccer

#4005 8 years ago

Somebody has to know who did these.

#4006 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Somebody has to know who did these.

Time to ask this guy. Shine the hot lamp on him and maybe he will talk.

mrboney2.gifmrboney2.gif
#4007 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Shine the hot lamp on him and maybe he will talk.

Pretty sure someone already did but forgot to turn it off overnight and that was the END result.

Ken

#4008 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

more early 60s EM WMS mystery artist possibilities
Viking
Jungle
Magic Clock
Skill Ball
Trade Winds
Friendship "7"
Valiant
King Pin
Mardi Gras
Vagabond
Big Deal
Skill Pool
Big Daddy
Soccer

I'm going to disagree on a couple of those. Jungle and Magic Clock without question in my mind are Molentin. Or at the very least the same artist that most of his work is credited too. He has very simple but elegant line work and the women are drawn in his typical style. There are a couple others that I would suspect are him as well but drawn with enough variation to warrant being questioned.

The trouble with commercial art is the artist were not in it to be famous or gain recognition. It was just a job that paid the bills generally. So unfortunately we'll probably never know definitively on some of these. As O-din states I would suspect there is more than a couple mystery artists in the works mentioned.

#4009 8 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

pretty good price ( as of 10am) on a good game, looks like it will clean up nice

#4010 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The trouble with commercial art is the artist were not in it to be famous or gain recognition.

Also some of the time, they might have been told to emulate a previous artists style.
So that is why some of the games look like they were done by (say) Molentin,
but for some reason they look just a bit off or not up to that artist's normal standard.

Still would like to know for sure, as time is running out, as more and more of people that might know
are now dead or too old to remember with clarity.
Also the fact that some of those studios that produced the art for pinball burned down and probably any records lost with the fire.
Though when watching antique roadshow,
it seems their experts seem to know a lot about all these esoteric "unknown" artists
from the previous centuries.

#4011 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Also some of the time, they might have been told to emulate a previous artists style.
So that is why some of the games look like they were done by (say) Molentin, but for some reason they look just a bit off or not up to that artist's normal standard.

That's very true. Look at an artist like Marche who's style varied greatly. Without someone documenting his works it could be near impossible to tell that some were his. As far as looking a bit off, I again agree. But you have to consider these guys were cranking out a couple games a month. Seems like a lot of pressure to consistently make every one a masterpiece. To have a couple that aren't in line with their best work doesn't necessarily mean another artist did it. It just opens up a lot of speculation.

It would be nice to find someone that worked with these guys that may have some insight. There has to be some old timer still around that worked there. Even that though may not get you accurate info. I bet if you asked some of the artists themselves they may not remember who specifically did what works.

#4012 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

So that is why some of the games look like they were done by (say) Molentin,
but for some reason they look just a bit off or not up to that artist's normal standard.
Still would like to know for sure, as time is running out, as more and more of people that might know
are now dead or too old to remember with clarity.
Also the fact that some of those studios that produced the art for pinball burned down and probably any records lost with the fire.
Though when watching antique roadshow,
it seems their experts seem to know a lot about all these esoteric "unknown" artists
from the previous centuries.

I believe a lot is still to discover. Take gotllieb Word fair, the IPDB states its a Roy Parker glass. But when I look a the style an lines of the artwork I am convinced Art stenholm is the artist. And I always thought it was strange that someone that could make that wonderful artwork on Square Head would do such a lousy job on Rack-a-Ball.

#4013 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Time to ask this guy.

The mystery man got nervous, an' he fidget around a bit...

skeleton-dance-o.gifskeleton-dance-o.gif

#4014 8 years ago

That marionette skeleton dancing is a wonderful video from a few years ago. This man has talent!

#4015 8 years ago
Quoted from reppie:

Take gotllieb Word fair, the IPDB states its a Roy Parker glass. But when I look a the style an lines of the artwork I am convinced Art stenholm is the artist.

I can see some Stenholm in there, but i am pretty sure it is Parker,
though the 2 belly dancers look nothing like typical Parker girls.
The people on the PF plastics are definitely Parker.

#4016 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I can see some Stenholm in there, but i am pretty sure it is Parker,
though the 2 belly dancers look nothing like typical Parker girls.
The people on the PF plastics are definitely Parker.

There's some debate on several backglasses, most notably Gottlieb "North Star". Parker is credited with the work, but it has many elements that make it look like a Stenholm work. "Kings & Queens" is another one, but that is most certainly
Parker's work. Look at Williams "Eager Beaver" backglass. It's done by Stenholm, but it has a definite "Parkeresque" quality.
My theory is that perhaps Stenholm was somewhat of an understudy to Parker. Not much is known about Art Stenholm, but I've heard that he also did illustrations for some major gasoline companies such as you'd see on road maps, and in magazine ads.

#4017 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Williams "Eager Beaver" backglass

That is a game i bought just for the BG.
Actually had to buy it twice, as the first one i got,
had the backglass shattered in transport from back east.
Fortunately another one cropped up for good price
and this time it made it complete & unharmed.

broken+Eager+Beaver+Backglass.jpgbroken+Eager+Beaver+Backglass.jpg puzzle+pieces+of+eager+beaver.jpgpuzzle+pieces+of+eager+beaver.jpg
#4018 8 years ago

At least it makes a good jigsaw puzzle.

#4019 8 years ago

Sample Slick Chick with different cabinet colors!
ebay.com link: 1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick SAMPLE Pinball Machine

#4020 8 years ago
Quoted from reppie:

Sample Slick Chick with different cabinet colors!
ebay.com link » 1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick Sample Pinball Machine

Probably different colors due to it being a sample game (serial number is 01055 S).

#4021 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Probably different colors due to it being a sample game (serial number is 01055 S).

A friend has a sample Slick Chick with the same colors.

#4022 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I've been working hard on the one near me, so please with the tips and a thank you!
WP_20150517_001.jpg (early try)

Okay I scratch everything I said about the pitch being 3.5%. 4.0 pitch is where it is at. After playing at 3.5% for the past week I was wondering why my scores were reaching 60-70k and the ball seemed floaty around the flipper bats (especially on multiball) I put it back to 4.0 and played about 5 games just now. Wow what a difference! The game is back to kicking my ass and me scoring 20-30k

#4024 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Wish I had more pinball money for this...

ebay.com link » 1965 Gottlieb Two Player Hi Dolly Pinball Machine

Dan wants his Dolly....................

Ken

#4025 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Dan wants his Dolly....................
Ken

Dan Sucking Thumb.jpgDan Sucking Thumb.jpg
#4026 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Wish I had more pinball money for this...
ebay.com link » 1965 Gottlieb Two Player Hi Dolly Pinball Machine

I had one of these once. Not much of a player really. Sold it off at one of the Allentown shows.

#4027 8 years ago

ebay.com link: 1964 WILLIAMS PALOOKA PINBALL MACHINE ADD A BALL AAB BOXING THEME

Don't know what kind of repro backglass it has, but I don't think it's ever been rescreened by Shay or Ron Webb.
Nice otherwise though.

#4029 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

ebay.com link » Gottlieb Sure Shot Pinball Machine 1976 Pool Table Theme

Very nice low played game.

Not as nice as this one:

ebay.com link: 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot Pinball Machine Fantastic Condition

Ken

#4030 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

ebay.com link » Gottlieb Sure Shot Pinball Machine 1976 Pool Table Theme
Very nice low played game.

Or one from a "known" source:

ebay.com link: itm

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/20812

#4031 8 years ago

Yeah, but I can drive to Massachusetts!

#4032 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

ebay.com link » 1964 Williams Palooka Pinball Machine Add A Ball Aab Boxing Theme
Don't know what kind of repro backglass it has, but I don't think it's ever been rescreened by Shay or Ron Webb.
Nice otherwise though.

Can't tell from the pic, but looks like it might be a printed scan.

#4033 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

what kind of repro backglass it has, but I don't think it's ever been rescreened by Shay or Ron Webb.

Webb did do a repro BG for Palooka about 5-6 yrs ago, as i got one for my game.

#4034 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Webb did do a repro BG for Palooka about 5-6 yrs ago, as i got one for my game.

That's right, I forgot. He did do that glass. I needed one and I asked him if he had any leftover ones. I would have even taken a blem. But that glass doesn't look like a silk screened glass. I think stashy is right, it looks like paper.

#4035 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

But that glass doesn't look like a silk screened glass. I think stashy is right, it looks like paper.

The boxer in the Palooka backglass has black hair and Joe Palooka had blonde hair.

#4036 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I had one of these once. Not much of a player really. Sold it off at one of the Allentown shows.

This is good to know.

1 week later
#4039 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I have heard this one is boring to play but I really love the theme,
ebay.com link » 1971 Bally Vampire Em Pinball Machine Rare Only 799 Produced

Definitely a cool weird theme and interesting artwork,
but like you state, not very fun to play, the few times that i have played it.
Though did not stop me from buying one.
Now part of the PPM collection.

#4040 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Definitely a cool weird theme and interesting artwork

I wish there was a "Frankenstein" EM pinball machine named after the 1931 horror classic. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

#4041 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I wish there was a "Frankenstein" EM pinball machine named after the 1931 horror classic. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Close but no cigar
as a pitch&bat.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1648&picno=33742&zoom=1

mystery score.jpgmystery score.jpg
#4044 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Maybe Odin wants this one.

Maybe you do? Good all around game and great art.

I'm an official Gottlieb snob now and have no room or time for meager offerings from lower level manufactures.

Ken

#4045 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

PinballFever said:
Close but no cigar
as a pitch&bat.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1648&picno=33742&zoom=1

Cool theme but it looks like the artist was on acid!

#4046 8 years ago

I will admit it! All this current talk about Bally Old Chicago in the multiplayer forum has me curious. I haven't played on since 1998 and I don't remember if I liked it or not because I only put a few games on it.

#4047 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I will admit it! All this current talk about Bally Old Chicago in the multiplayer forum has me curious. I haven't played on since 1998 and I don't remember if I liked it or not because I only put a few games on it.

Cool. I just picked up a decent project old Chicago for $130, less back glass..... rumor has CPR coming out with a glass for this shortly, as Stu needs one for his game....

#4048 8 years ago

After buying games for 1500+ It is time for some games for 1000 and under.

#4049 8 years ago

Old Chicago is currently on my buy list.

(insert Jaws title theme)

#4050 8 years ago

Nick they pop up like worts on a troll. We should both have one before the year is up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay/page/81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.