(Topic ID: 56266)

Some nice looking EM classics just came up on eBay/other! :-)

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,642 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
EKEM 5 (resized).jpg
EKEM 4 (resized).jpg
EKEM 2 (resized).jpg
EKEM 3 (resized).jpg
EK EM 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
Hermans-Hermits-Peter-N (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png
6C006FCA-8C40-48D1-ADE4-DE1619B15E94 (resized).jpeg
4DB2B1EC-35DD-4CBF-A22F-AAD8E0E08419 (resized).jpeg
34C32548-2160-4CEE-BE55-F6B5E7471AA3 (resized).jpeg
7427C149-FD08-4B9D-B45B-FDC39BFCD4B1 (resized).jpeg
2569A4AC-A625-4ABB-B9CE-2BDDFD4C89AB (resized).jpeg
022DED1F-DB0E-47FA-A0D4-CC3AC023977E (resized).jpeg
4EBAC883-E2FF-4312-A410-BF53BD3CC32B (resized).jpeg
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 133.
#3951 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Someone local to the Jacks Open should start some communication with the seller just in case it doesn't sell. Looking at the game, the $1200+ price point isn't too far off.
Obviously, it will need a plastics set and possibly a backglass. But it has pretty nice colors, just bad in the Name reds like usual. Too bad there aren't better pictures of the cabinet and coin door condition. But the playfield looks pretty darn nice.

Quoted from CactusJack:

Someone local to the Jacks Open should start some communication with the seller just in case it doesn't sell. Looking at the game, the $1200+ price point isn't too far off.
Obviously, it will need a plastics set and possibly a backglass. But it has pretty nice colors, just bad in the Name reds like usual. Too bad there aren't better pictures of the cabinet and coin door condition. But the playfield looks pretty darn nice.

Shame it looks like someone had a post between flippers and now there is a button type thing. Otherwise pretty nice example.

#3952 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Quoted from CactusJack:

Shame it looks like someone had a post between flippers and now there is a button type thing. Otherwise pretty nice example.

#3953 8 years ago

Unbelievable price of $3800 sought on this GTB King Pin in Australia
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-machine-/281701431596?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

#3954 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Unbelievable price of $3800 sought on this GTB King Pin in Australia
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-machine-/281701431596?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I would be tempted to message him on Ebay stating that you could buy one in the states running in the same condition for about 700-800 and have it shipped to Australia and still be at about half of what he is asking. If you did this you could then tel him that you now have the 6th King Pin that he knows of in Australia.

#3955 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Is $1200 about what JO is going for nowadays in this kind of shape
Slightly better than average shape
Very nice at first glance, but the closer you look
you can find nit picky stuff.
Would not be embarrassed to have a game in that condition in my collection,
But would I pay $1200 for it?
BG and Plastics set could be had for another $300, if you look hard enough.

Too bad it is on east coast,
cause my comic book shop guy,
(to whom i just sold about $1300 of books)
is wanting one bad.
I told him depending on condition
a decent working model would go for $750-1250

#3956 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

in this kind of shape

That repair "nub" where someone must have stuck a pin is a deal breaker. You can find a nice, nice Jacks Open for 1200-1500...good glass and no playfield highjinx.

#3957 8 years ago

I recently removed Jacks Open from my buy list after six visits to PHOF last week. Didn't play it much while there. When I did, the experience was... unexpectedly meh.

Not sure what changed. Jacks Open is a crazy fun game in the short-term but for me it didn't last into the medium/long term like so many of my other favorites. *hmmm* need to think on this. Still love the backglass artwork though.

Another PHOF casualty: Jumping Jack. Also booted it from the buy list. Turns out I like King Pin better which was kind of a surprise. Expected it to be the other way around.

A few new B-list games ("maybe buys") got added this trip: Ice Revue and Volley... with Old Chicago and '72 Fireball getting back on the A-list.

#3958 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

'72 Fireball getting back on the A-list.

Come over and play mine.

#3959 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I recently removed Jacks Open from my buy list after six visits to PHOF last week. Didn't play it much while there. When I did, the experience was... unexpectedly meh.
Not sure what changed. Jacks Open is a crazy fun game in the short-term but for me it didn't last into the medium/long term like so many of my other favorites. *hmmm* need to think on this. Still love the backglass artwork though.
Another PHOF casualty: Jumping Jack. Also booted it from the buy list. Turns out I like King Pin better which was kind of a surprise. Expected it to be the other way around.
A few new B-list games ("maybe buys") got added this trip: Ice Revue and Volley... with Old Chicago and '72 Fireball getting back on the A-list.

Not to diss on Tim, but when I play his games, it makes me realize how much better they can be set up. His are not steep enough for me, flippers can be weak, some games not level, etc, etc. I still go there whenever in Vegas, and try a few titles I may not have played, but mostly play modern games there! I guess what I'm really trying to say is don't dismiss a game just because it wasn't fun at PHoF.

#3960 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Some 'B' games are better players than many of the 'A' titles.

I have owned Ice Revue 2 years now and every time I think of selling it, it reminds me of how great a player it is. Easily top 5 of the 60's, purely on gameplay. Art/theme is very subjective. Does look pretty in attract mode at end of game as the pretty dancers flash away.

#3962 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Fireball has underwhelmed me whenever I've played it -- contrary to what its reputation seems to be. Maybe the zipper flippers are a feature better in theory than in actuality . . . or maybe this is not the best example of them in a game ? I played a beautifully restored Old Chicago not so long ago, and the impression was considerably more favorable than I would have predicted.

#3963 8 years ago

I also prefer Old Chicago... but for many people '72 Fireball is "the" classic machine. It's the "Pac-Man" of EM's. Agreed, like Pac-Man, it's overrated... but certainly collectible with a unique style and gameplay (lots o' features!) and fun enough to join the stable. B+ game overall.

#3964 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I agree with the king pin much better than jumping (great backglass)
volley IMO is A great game it flies under the radar most of the time, I think due to the theme.
it is a game that I just have a hard time walking away from.

#3965 8 years ago

For all the titles you listed (except for Fireball), I think it all depends on how the games are set up and shopped out. For me, an EM needs to be strong and fast. When set this way, the games are usually fun but still a challenge. Ganted, none of them would be satisfying in a single game collection. But certainly would merit a few plays each day until you have "that one great game" and then walk away and move on to the next.

Tough call on King Pin vs Jack in the box. Own both, had both set up at one time, but they did both give way to other titles in the game room. The only reason I sold my. Jumping Jack was because I was too lazy to repaint the all white cabinet, had a faded, crazing backglass, and I always wanted a Jack in the Box instead. So I just kept the better playfield for later. King Pin can be mostly cruel with the metal side rail drain lanes (not very forgiving). But then, thats the challenge!

Fireball is flat out over-rated. But O-din will always defend it. I will say it is a fairly good for competition. However, it has a simple flaw making it a takes-for-ever game to play if you don't stop yourself.

Old Chicago IS a great game when properly shopped out.

#3966 8 years ago

Whenever you guys criticize Fireball you guys remind me of this.Muppetts.jpgMuppetts.jpg

And this would be my response (most likely Odin's as well)....opinion.jpgopinion.jpg

#3967 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some 'B' games are better players than many of the 'A' titles.
I have owned Ice Revue 2 years now and every time I think of selling it, it reminds me of how great a player it is. Easily top 5 of the 60's, purely on gameplay. Art/theme is very subjective. Does look pretty in attract mode at end of game as the pretty dancers flash away.

"Ice Revue" is a great playing game, and a good looker too.

#3968 8 years ago

ebay.com link: Bally Fireball pinball machine 1970s Perfect working order

Was this posted yet? Maybe someone in Texas could use another one!

#3969 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

ebay.com link » Bally Fireball Pinball Machine 1970s Perfect Working Order
Was this posted yet? Maybe someone in Texas could use another one!

Someone bought it for $782.50 in 1977! That's a good amount of money for a used pinball in 1977.

#3970 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Fireball is flat out over-rated. But O-din will always defend it. I will say it is a fairly good for competition. However, it has a simple flaw making it a takes-for-ever game to play if you don't stop yourself.

Fireball is almost worth buying just for the great backglass art. The multiball and zipper flipper features (plus the spinning disk that made controlling the ball more difficult) were quite a novelty for me because that was the first time I saw these features when I played it at Phoenix airport every chance I got.

I've considered buying one off and on over the years but I'd like to put games together as a theme and Fireball seems better off being by itself unless you can think of another EM that would look good next to it?

#3971 8 years ago

When I played Fireball at the recent Sydney Pinball Expo the thing that alerted me, given I have all Gottlieb machines, was the play variants of the different manufacturers. In the case of Fireball zipper flippers, mushroom bumpers etc. I think an EM collection needs to have representation of at least Gottlieb, Bally & Williams-but for me space is the problem.

#3972 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Fireball seems better off being by itself unless you can think of another EM that would look good next to it?

Theme or no theme I can think of several machines I want to put next to my Fireball. 4 Million BC, Nip-It, The Wiggler and Capersville to name a few. So I would have 2 themes going for me. "Bally" and "Zipper Flipper".

#3973 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Theme or no theme I can think of several machines I want to put next to my Fireball. 4 Million BC, Nip-It, The Wiggler and Capersville to name a few. So I would have 2 themes going for me. "Bally" and "Zipper Flipper".

I was just thinking about games that would go well next to Fireball and I think other Bally games from similiar era would look good next to it, Wizard and Captain Fantastic would be two of them.

#3974 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Fireball is flat out over-rated. But O-din will always defend it.

Fireball is rated #31 on the pinside top 100. Bump it down another spot and Ding Dong can move up the ladder.

#3975 8 years ago

Will this make it a better game for some of you?

IMG_2072.JPGIMG_2072.JPG
#3976 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

When I played Fireball at the recent Sydney Pinball Expo the thing that alerted me, given I have all Gottlieb machines, was the play variants of the different manufacturers. In the case of Fireball zipper flippers, mushroom bumpers etc. I think an EM collection needs to have representation of at least Gottlieb, Bally & Williams-but for me space is the problem.

Fireball is a great classic multi=player.

When I played it, the technique of letting it settle in the middle of the zipper flippers and then hitting the KO hole and the same on other side, meant it got way easier than I expected.

Not sure if every example plays like this.

#3977 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Fireball is a great classic multi=player.
When I played it, the technique of letting it settle in the middle of the zipper flippers and then hitting the KO hole and the same on other side, meant it got way easier than I expected.
Not sure if every example plays like this.

Yes this is a strategy that you have to use to tame the game and get balls locked. Letting the ball rest on closed zipper flippers is awesome. Nothing like having the flippers closed and aiming shots to collect balls, get another skill shot 3k points trap that ball, build up points on wotan before you lock the ball in wotan's hole. Then a third ball (get the skill shot again for 3k) hit the blue mushroom to have the flippers closed again. Hopefully at this point you are hitting the captive ball ona track to "Release the gods" If done right you will get 2,200 points for releasing the gods, 5k (if on the right timing) for releasing Odin and then 3k +300 as Wotan is released for a total of 10,300 points and hopefull all 3 balls trapped in closed flippers. I have done this about 3 or 4 times int he 150 games of Fireball I have played this weekend since it arrived on Friday. I could flip this game and still be interested in playing this game. This game just clicks with me 100% and brings me back for more and more.

#3978 8 years ago

I've been working hard on the one near me, so please with the tips and a thank you!

WP_20150517_001.jpgWP_20150517_001.jpg (early try)

#3979 8 years ago

Have the game on low tap. Makes for a proper game. High tap slings the ball everywhere and past the spinning target. Have the game at 3.5% pitch. It make the right balance and right glide of the ball. At 4.0% the game was easier which is not what I want. Also at 3.5% the skill shot is the right difficulty that I remember from 15-17 years ago. Just perfect now. Just the slightest pull on the knob. I almost just pinch it with two fingers to get the skill shot. I am going to link the PAPA video I followed for great tips on playing this game. I also linked a second video that shows the features as well. Both videos were very helpful.

#3980 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Have the game at 3.5% pitch. It make the right balance and right glide of the ball. At 4.0% the game was easier which is not what I want. Also at 3.5% the skill shot is the right difficulty that I remember from 15-17 years ago.

How do you measure the 3.5%? I have a small level for leveling the playfield but it doesn't have degrees on it if I remember right. (will have to look at it after work today)

#3981 8 years ago

There's an app for that, or an incline gauge.

#3982 8 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

There's an app for that, or an incline gauge.

I have an app on my Android called "Clinometer"

#3983 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Nice tip, will use it with my Android too, thanks!

#3984 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Nice tip, will use it with my Android too, thanks!

Works great and it's free!

#3985 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline.

#3986 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Have the game on low tap. Makes for a proper game. High tap slings the ball everywhere and past the spinning target. Have the game at 3.5% pitch. It make the right balance and right glide of the ball. At 4.0% the game was easier which is not what I want. Also at 3.5% the skill shot is the right difficulty that I remember from 15-17 years ago.

I will have to check that out. Glad I have an operator who cares & springs on machines like this.

#3987 8 years ago

Fireball is overrated,
but it is still a fun game to play
and very nice to look at.
One of the few games that i actually
distinctly remember playing
on location back in the day.
I feel very fortunate to own one (German version)
and will probably never let it go.
Sure there are games that have better rules sets
and might be better, but it is a classic.

#3988 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Fireball is overrated,

I still like it more than most of the other 30 machines that are rated higher. Seems those ratings are a bit skewed...

#3989 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I still like it more than most of the other 30 machines that are rated higher

I will never trust a rating system,
if Ding Dong overtakes Fireball.

What I can not totally comprehend
is why the $1500-2500 price tag for FB
It is worth more than the average EM,
but 3 to 5 times more then the average EM pin?!?!?
Supply and Demand I guess, but game is not all that rare.

#3990 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

What I can not totally comprehend
is why the $1500-2500 price tag for FB
It is worth more than the average EM,
but 3 to 5 times more then the average EM pin?!?!?
Supply and Demand I guess, but game is not all that rare.

It is one of the most tagged EMs in people's collections on pinside. 83 pinsiders have it in their collection. (just the ones shown) 39 pinsiders have it in their wishlist. Fireball has ALWAYS been an expensive game. To me it is the MM of EMs and is rightfully deserving of its price and the price that I paid for mine. There is no Fireball factory down the road making them. The game has been out of production for 40 years. The game is ahead of it's time. The game is absolutely gorgeous. The game is featured on the cover of pinball books. Even the 1977 Pinball Portfolio book I had designated more pages on Fireball than any other pin in the book.

#3991 8 years ago

Back on subject....

Creepy Clown pin anyone? This game doesn't look like fun (Please correct me if I am wrong)

ebay.com link: Bally Circus Pinball Machine vintage 1973 Excellent condition

#3992 8 years ago

Well... to be fair... the average $400 EM is a Craigslist garage find which needs a complete rebuild of all mechs, cabinet paint, backglass salvage or replacement, etc. Not sure a Fireball in that condition would yield $1500-$2500 or more.

Agreed Fireball is a 'lil overrated, but nevertheless the '72 original is one of the all-time greats.

#3993 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

This game doesn't look like fun

You are correct
Most un-fun pin out there
totally blah all the way around.

#3994 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

You are correct
Most un-fun pin out there
totally blah all the way around.

I figured it looked about as much fun as a home edition kids EM from the 1970's Sears catalog.

#3995 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I will never trust a rating system,
if Ding Dong overtakes Fireball.

It looks like Ding Dong has already passed up Slick Chick. What happened? Didn't that used to be #1?

I only read the rankings for laughs as only one of my games is even in the top 65. Maybe the ratings page should be sub-titled... For Amusement Only...

#3996 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It looks like Ding Dong has already passed up Slick Chick. What happened? Didn't that used to be #1?
I only read the rankings for laughs as only one of my games is even in the top 65. Maybe the ratings page should be sub-titled... For Amusement Only...

The only ranking system that really should matter is your own. I can't really remember a time when someone else's opinion of a game change my original take on it. What you are quoting shows there is little value to that kind of ranking system. And, could mean there are a lot of beginners entering the hobby that will be mislead on what the "Good" games really are.

I never said I didn't like Fireball, I just stated it was highly over rated. Like Tom, I own one and would be reluctant to ever sell it due to its condition.

#3997 8 years ago

Well as Tom said the price on Fireball can be pretty high, but I'm still not sure about the over-rated part. It was high on my want list because as a child I played it and it kicked my butt. Compared to what else was around here it was also the coolest looking and with the other features...Wow!!!

Price might reflect that aura and there aren't too many multiball EMs which a lot of younger people like in their games so a lot of newcomers are drawn to that. I let my nice one go to Rat because he will take care of it and after having three I have had my fill and am not looking for another at this time.

It allowed me to bring in more games that I had never seen let alone played but research in my own way and others opinions got me exactly what I had expected. I am real happy with that.

#3998 8 years ago

I am highly appreciative of Odin for allowing me to fulfill my wish for one of my holy grail machines.

Odin got some really nice machines last week.

Surf Side...Just an awesome 2 player Gottlieb if not the best 2 player 60's Gottlieb. It was very difficult to let this one go.

Riverboat...One of the best 60's Williams reverse wedgeheads behind Big Daddy. This game keeps you coming back for more.

Wishing Well...Highly regarded 50's woodrail. I look forward to playing one.

Teacher's Pet. I have never played one but all I have heard is good things about it.

#3999 8 years ago

Most addictive game ever

#4000 8 years ago

I was helping a new Pinside acquaintance the other day diagnose a 4 Roses issue. We ended up talking about pinball for at least an hour and a half. He praised Teacher's Pet for being a terrific playing game. LOTS of people have echoed the same sentiment & now I'm really looking forward to giving one a try.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay/page/80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.