(Topic ID: 56266)

Some nice looking EM classics just came up on eBay/other! :-)

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,642 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
EKEM 5 (resized).jpg
EKEM 4 (resized).jpg
EKEM 2 (resized).jpg
EKEM 3 (resized).jpg
EK EM 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
Hermans-Hermits-Peter-N (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.32.04 PM (resized).png
6C006FCA-8C40-48D1-ADE4-DE1619B15E94 (resized).jpeg
4DB2B1EC-35DD-4CBF-A22F-AAD8E0E08419 (resized).jpeg
34C32548-2160-4CEE-BE55-F6B5E7471AA3 (resized).jpeg
7427C149-FD08-4B9D-B45B-FDC39BFCD4B1 (resized).jpeg
2569A4AC-A625-4ABB-B9CE-2BDDFD4C89AB (resized).jpeg
022DED1F-DB0E-47FA-A0D4-CC3AC023977E (resized).jpeg
4EBAC883-E2FF-4312-A410-BF53BD3CC32B (resized).jpeg
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 133.
#5951 4 years ago

I've had a couple of copies of "Pinball Pool" in the past, and I remember putting a chime box in one of them.
One thing to know about the early SS Gottliebs with chimes; the plungers are hollow to make them lighter and thus more responsive to the shorter AC pulse of the SS electronics.

#5952 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I've had a couple of copies of "Pinball Pool" in the past, and I remember putting a chime box in one of them.
One thing to know about the early SS Gottliebs with chimes; the plungers are hollow to make them lighter and thus more responsive to the shorter AC pulse of the SS electronics.

They also had different coils A-17876 instead of A-5195 on the em's. I added chime boxes to my Pinball Pool and Count-Down, like them both better that way.

#5953 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was really bummed when solid state first showed up with beeping noises and a hollow feeling. Like life as we'd known it had ended.
But damn, we must have got mostly the crappy ones around here, because I never remember one like that Bally Skateball or Frontier that I have now.

Exactly. We shunned them at the start. Space Mission & Klondike were our games of choice when the SS pins came out.
The first SS that really did it for me was Eight ball deluxe. Still does!

#5954 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Or how about a Bally Mystic? At least it was unique.

LOVE Mystic!

#5955 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Or how about a Bally Mystic? At least it was unique.

I think I like how Mystic sounds in comparison.

Trek is pretty tough sound wise, gameplay is ok though.

#5956 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

The first SS that really did it for me was Eight ball deluxe. Still does!

For me it was Black Knight. Sure we had a bunch of Playboys around and some other also ran solid states that I can't even remember the titles, but BK gave me a new kind of playing experience none of the EMs had.

Now I like the some of the early Bally and Stern solid states that I don't remember playing back on location. They are some fine tuned machines.

#5957 4 years ago

The early SSs I grew up on were almost all Bally’s. I liked the 1977-78 era the most, although there were some great machines like EBD that came after.
Eight Ball
Mata Hari
Evel Knievel
Night Rider
Power Play

By 1981 when ramps and chutes became the mainstay, that was pretty much the end for me. To each his own.

#5958 4 years ago

The ones I like now are

Skateball
Frontier
Stars
Flight 2000
Nine Ball
Sea Witch
Future Spa

None of which have ramps but also none of which I remember playing back in the day.

#5959 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The ones I like now are
Skateball
Frontier
Stars
Flight 2000
Nine Ball
Sea Witch
Future Spa
None of which have ramps but also none of which I remember playing back in the day.

I should have hung in there a little longer. A lot of those I’ve seen on YouTube and they do look fun. The first pin I ever owned is a 1980 Nitro Ground Shaker and it’s still going strong.

#5960 4 years ago

Skateball is the one that first got me going. The sounds are actually really good and the artwork to me is perfect for the time. Can't believe we never had one around here at least that I know of. But it's the layout, speed, and gameplay the really makes it fun. It's like a super EM if they had kept making them.

Stars is the one that is the closest to an EM as it still has a four bar chime unit which is mounted to a wood resonator, not plastic, so it sounds really good, and a simply great layout and basic rules. A crowd pleaser whenever I have guests. My kid loves it too.

Frontier is something really special too. A rare item that I have a super nice example of. It plays crickets.

#5961 4 years ago

A very unpopular 1974 Bally EM for 10 bucks.
ebay.com link: 0

#5962 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For me it was Black Knight.

Same here. Walked into the bowling alley one day and it was there. What a trip playing it after seeing nothing but video games for years. I still enjoy playing that one.

#5964 4 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

another gemini
ebay.com link » 1978 Gottlieb Gemini Very Rare Only 300 Ever Made Last Gottlieb 2 Player Em

The seller is asking $15K. This Gemini has only 8,000 plays on the meter. It was part of the Stan Harris estate.

Stan was a major operator in the northeast USA, particularly in the Philadelphia area. My family had several routed Harris games back in the sixties and seventies. My late father knew Stan.

I always wondered what became of the Harris collection.

#5965 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

The seller is asking $15K. This Gemini has only 8,000 plays on the meter. It was part of the Stan Harris estate.
Stan was a major operator in the northeast USA, particularly in the Philadelphia area. My family had several routed Harris games back in the sixties and seventies. My late father knew Stan.
I always wondered what became of the Harris collection.

My Night Rider has a Harris decal on it.

20190811_040525_resized (resized).jpg20190811_040525_resized (resized).jpg
#5966 4 years ago

The GTB Gemini is located in Castro Valley CA. Wondering if it might have come from the late great pinsider <blownfuse> Steve Charland's collection.

2 weeks later
#5967 4 years ago

Anyone ever play this SS repro version?
One guy on IMDB said he bought one for $3900 and hated it mostly because of the playfield overlay.

#5968 4 years ago

I've played a few copies of it. The prototype played horribly. Everything was too powerful. Later issues played better, but I just didn't like several things about it.
Didn't like the deep cabinet, the cheesy posts, and that overlay looked so washed out. It could have been made way better, but I guess costs require some short cuts. It's interesting, and it does have several good points about it. There are a few different play modes; even a "Diamond Jack" mode. If they were getting blown out cheap, I may have bought one and tranferred everything to an original "KOD", using a real playfield, original cabinet, metal posts, round top flippers, etc. That would have been an interesting hybrid for sure.

#5969 4 years ago

I want to say though, that I do commend Herb and everyone involved in that project for their efforts. I wish it would have been more successful, and would have spawned several more EM remakes.

#5970 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Didn't like the deep cabinet, the cheesy posts, and that overlay looked so washed out. It could have been made way better, but I guess costs require some short cuts.

The old saying comes to mind;" If you can't do it right than don't do it at all". I know there is always the cost factor but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and build using quality materials and just up the price of the machine and hope folks see the value in the machine. Word of mouth really killed that machine with the bad reviews and it took them forever just to get rid of the 55 units. Because it was not done with quality in mind it actually hurt other EM looking SS projects IMO. Lucky to have gotten Whoa Nellie produced by Stern after the Herb failure. Not sure how those numbers are fairing but I assume not fantastic or Stern would have taken on another such project by now. Oh well, now back to playing my EM's.....

#5971 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I want to say though, that I do commend Herb and everyone involved in that project for their efforts. I wish it would have been more successful, and would have spawned several more EM remakes.

I think it always goes back to “there’s nothing like the real thing”. That stuff becomes ingrained.

#5972 4 years ago

Every once in a while something special comes along and you jump at it

today was that day for me

ebay.com link: itm

#5973 4 years ago

Beautiful purchase, Pinhead52! Who knows when a NOS Neptune playfield would present themselves again?

#5975 4 years ago

But.... "I already got a one!"

source (resized).pngsource (resized).png20190830_173547 (resized).jpg20190830_173547 (resized).jpg
#5976 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

But.... "I already got a one!"[quoted image][quoted image]

should have sold it to me!

#5977 4 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Every once in a while something special comes along and you jump at it
today was that day for me
ebay.com link

Wow....so cool. When I was a kid, my family owned a Neptune. Bought it brand new (for $500 I think) in 1978 when I was 12. My mom sold it in 1983....man I wish I still had that pin. Imagine a HUO Neptune in 2019?

#5978 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Wow....so cool. When I was a kid, my family owned a Neptune. Bought it brand new (for $500 I think) in 1978 when I was 12. My mom sold it in 1983....man I wish I still had that pin. Imagine a HUO Neptune in 2019?

Ive got a reproduction glass, a NOS pf, will have to get it repainted. $3K is my est.

#5979 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Of the few that were made, many were lightly used. They're out there somewhere.

1 week later
#5982 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Ok. Who's going to pop on this one?
ebay.com link » 1976 Gottlieb Canada Dry 4 Plyr Pinball Machine Fully Restored Fully Working

Some Canada Dry exec should put it in their office. Very sharp looking machine.

#5983 4 years ago

The seller is a great guy and got me into the hobby by selling me my first machine back in 2004. When I met him he had an EM Evel Knievel, EM Charlies Angels and EM Bally Black Jack set up in his basement. Jim has always had a nice assortment of rarer and interesting titles.

#5984 4 years ago

It’s nice to know that if I get low on funds I can always count on getting $1500 or more for my Nitro Ground Shaker. It’s my least favorite machine of the 5 I have. A lot of people go crazy over this one but I’ve only liked it, never loved it. It’s colorful, especially if you’re a gear head.

#5985 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

It’s nice to know that if I get low on funds I can always count on getting $1500 or more for my Nitro Ground Shaker. It’s my least favorite machine of the 5 I have. A lot of people go crazy over this one but I’ve only liked it, never loved it. It’s colorful, especially if you’re a gear head.
ebay.com link

Sorry, I forgot I was in the EM sub forum.

#5986 4 years ago

Not a great theme or particularly desirable but there were only 275 made.

1970 Bally King Rex

#5987 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

1970 Bally King Rex

I am a Bally fan but I would have to guess that the arcade in Hell has a King Rex, El Toro and Ro Go.

#5988 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I am a Bally fan but I would have to guess that the arcade in Hell has a King Rex, El Toro and Ro Go.

Hilarious but don’t forget Williams’ Darling. To each his own though, Satin Doll fans.

#5989 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I had a nice "King Rex" once, but sold it. I thought it was a decent enough game, and really thought the three play modes was a cool feature. Loved lighting those hieroglyphs on the backglass for extra balls. The cabinet art is very colorful and attractive as well.
It beats the crap out of "Ro Go".

#5990 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Hilarious but don’t forget Williams’ Darling. To each his own though, Satin Doll fans.

"Darling" is an attractive looking game, but a dud to play. I'd still take it over "Ro Go". I used to enjoy playing "Satin Doll" at the local arcade back in the day. It played very fast.

#5991 4 years ago

I bought my king rex from someone in Wisconsin who had 3 of them. Not a bad game. Certainly no el Toro or darling

#5993 4 years ago

I recently rebuilt a Ro Go for a local client of the museum. Gameplay is pretty basic, but it does have good action. Hardly the worst machine I’ve ever encountered.

More fun than El Toro for sure. Would also take it over Darling. Probably wouldn’t put it in the “worst” category... far too many mediocre Chicago Coin pins and misfires from the big three below it.

D4333A30-2AC1-47C3-ADF7-DB75D1EF87A3 (resized).jpegD4333A30-2AC1-47C3-ADF7-DB75D1EF87A3 (resized).jpeg

#5994 4 years ago

False advertising?

On the search page it Reads “Vintage Sonic Segasa Williams Prospector EM Pinball machine.” On the sell page it reads “Vintage Pinball Laurel and Hardy Prospector Flicker Bally Pinball Machine”. WTF? Somebody will probably get them to change it.

It’s just a Bally Flicker.

1 week later
#5995 4 years ago

First time I’ve seen this machine for sale on eBay and it’s on my wishlist. Too far away from me and they listed it at a high starting price. Not to mention a very shaky seller.

Any comments from someone who owns one?

#5996 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Any comments from someone who owns one?

WMS Wild Card
Never owned one, but played it many a time at the PPM.
One of the last EMs made.
Very fun, fast and lively game.
It was on my want list for long time, back when i was still buying games.
$1000 starting price is a little steep though IMHO.

#5997 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

WMS Wild Card

There is one in Tampa for sale. The playfield is slightly better, but the cabinet is worse. I’d like to pick it up, but he won’t budge from his $2000 asking price. I agree it does look like a fun game.

#5998 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

WMS Wild Card

Only 901 ever made and you said it’s a keeper, which explains why I never see them up for sale. Now that one is for sale, it’s from a seller that has negative feedback on 2 of their last 5 sales, allegedly for stiffing the buyers.

#5999 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

There is one in Tampa for sale. The playfield is slightly better, but the cabinet is worse. I’d like to pick it up, but he won’t budge from his $2000 asking price. I agree it does look like a fun game.

I guess he knows what we know, not many of these machines popping up.

#6000 4 years ago

Where is Roy Scheider when you need him?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
There are 6,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay/page/120?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.