20211104_113300 (resized).jpg
20211104_110835 (resized).jpg
20211103_202710 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-03-20-49-01 (resized).png
Screenshot_2021-10-11-08-52-23 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11606 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I still can't believe this Jungle Queen is still unsold. It is a lot of great game for a bargain price.
Is there that little demand for games in this area?
ebay.com link

Looks good but the fourth photo shows a patch of paint missing in front of the kick out holes, can that be repaired?

#11607 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I still can't believe this Jungle Queen is still unsold. It is a lot of great game for a bargain price.
ebay.com link

Looks good but the fourth photo shows a patch of paint missing in front of the kick out holes, can that be repaired?

#11608 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

ebay.com link

2 weeks later
#11719 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm sold on it!

Congratulations! That's a nice woodrail.

#11722 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is nice original paint under all that nicotine.

Yuck. It turns my stomach seeing those nicotine stains (I'm actually queasy right now) but it'll look nice next to your Wishing Well when cleaned up.

#11731 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Yuck. It turns my stomach seeing those nicotine stains (I'm actually queasy right now)

Turns out I was queasy because my wife and I had food poisoning from dinner last night.

#11750 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Aren't wood rail playfield glasses Plate Glass (not Tempered)?

I was thinking of replacing the playfield plate glass on my woodrail with a tempered for safety. Good idea? Where would be the best place to get and have tempered glass cut to size?

#11753 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Otherwise, get as many quotes as you can from various glass companies as they vary in price greatly. I think some of them specialize in commercial work, auto window glass, etc., and don't really care if they get your business so they give you a high quote. Others do a lot of the small work - single pieces for residential work - I've found those are usually the cheapest.

I'll start getting quotes from glass companies. I was wondering what do you do with the old playfield plate glass?

Quoted from hoov:

I got quotes from about 4 or 5 companies for one single sheet of 3/16" safety glass ranging from $35 - $75.

Does that price include cutting it to size for you?

#11754 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The piece of mind and the clearness of a new one is nice.

Definitely agree with you on this. I'd hate to have broken glass ruin this "museum piece" and it would be safer too.

#11783 8 years ago

I also got the United "UTAH" pinball off CL recently. Don't think anyone posted it here and I was surprised no one took it because it was a very fair price. Will post pictures soon.

#11807 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You might find it just as cost effective (or cheaper) to buy a couple sheets from Pinball Life

It looks like they sell standard size glass 43" x 21" and this UTAH game is too short for it. Do they cut glass?

#11808 8 years ago

I bought a game off CL two weeks ago and was lucky my friend happened to be in the area with his SUV so it could be brought back safe and sound to me.

Don't think the listing was posted in this thread or I missed it. This is a excellent "spotting" thread where we can help each other find great games. Sometimes I think about posting a list here but I'm not sure which games are worth linking here.

I haven't played it since first set up because I need to clean and wax the playfield and wait for the new balls to arrive from PBR.

2262.jpeg2262.jpeg

After set up and lit up playing
DSC_0891.jpgDSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0894.jpgDSC_0894.jpg

UTAH Backglass Photo.JPGUTAH Backglass Photo.JPG

UTAH Playfield 2.jpgUTAH Playfield 2.jpg

DSC_0918.jpgDSC_0918.jpg

DSC_0916.jpgDSC_0916.jpg

#11812 8 years ago

"Bally Super Soccer pinball machine"

The flyer shows it's a Gottlieb.

#11816 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

1949 Gottlieb Buttons & Bows Woodrail Pinball Machine in what appears to be good shape in the Seattle area: seattle.craigslist.org link

Same listing as the one in Los Angeles. Maybe the seller hopes to get $4,000 for it in LA or $1,500 for it in Seattle.

1 week later
#11872 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

that Bob just finds a way to stay in the game.

Wood trim looks great on that Serenade. What was used for it?

#11881 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It's definitely tree wood.

I mean I wondered what was used for finishing on the wood trim? Varnish? Shellac? It looks really good.

#11887 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I have since switched to Lacquer though as it's what they used originally.

Thanks. Will the Lacquer alter the natural wood color or just shine it up? I'd like to keep the wood color as it is but make it look good plus protect it.

#11905 8 years ago

They look great together!

#11909 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got the hood up on Frontiersman to make a few adjustments.

It looks like your own personal EM arcade. "Honey, I'm going over to my arcade in the shed to play a few games."

#11912 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope she can get used to the other 16 that are in the house.

I hope she doesn't say, "either they go or I go."

#11923 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

A new coat of Lacguer will really bring out the beauty of the wood. Wood and most finishes do darken some with age. I don't find that to be a bad thing. It just brings out the warm tones and enhances the beauty in my opinion.

Thanks. I want to finish the wood trimming and legs on my woodrail with Lacquer. Any brand recommendations?

#11926 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I have been using Watco brand. Nice stuff but do it outdoors if you can. I buy mine at Menards. Although I don't know if there any Menards in UT yet?

Will remove the wood trim/legs and do it outside. Closest Menards is 325 miles. >.<

#11938 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You don't need to remove the wood trim. Just take all the mechanicals out and backglass, cart the empty cab outside. Remove the legs and lock down obviously. Just be careful sanding but it's not real tricky as the finish on the underside/backside of the trim is usually super thin or non-existent. Sand all the wood as close to bare as you can. Vacuum off any dust. Or you can wipe it down with mineral spirits. Apply 3 coats of lacquer, letting them dry between. Be precise so as to not get any on the cab. You can tape it off if you're worried. After it's dried hard, sand the lacquer and vacuum the dust. Apply two more coats. It should be good, or you can buff it with very fine steel wool to knock down the gloss a bit and make it silky smooth. I'm not an expert but I have had pretty good results with this process.

Thanks Alex, this will be my first time refinishing the woodrail trimmings and legs. I want them to look good.

I did a search and am seeing semi gloss etc models but it looks like this is the Watco model you use. Will try to find it here or order it online. http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Wallcoverings/rustoleum/Prod_Tech_Spec/Watco-LacquerClear.pdf

#11942 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Only woodrails i own
are WMS Golden Bells and Gusher
and a flipperless GTB Bordertown

Only own one woodrail but hope to get a second nice woodrail someday for a good price. Either a Williams, Gottlieb or United.

I'm thinking about getting the United Tropicana but haven't decided for sure because it's flipperless, doesn't seem as much "fun" as a flipper model with a good ruleset.

#11943 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I like brush on Semi-gloss. A good brush makes a big difference.

The lacquer on your woodrail is beautiful and speaks for itself.

1 week later
#12061 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

a wood rail head too

Can you tell which game this is from the saguaro cactus on the side of the head?

#12170 8 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

Turns out to be a United Tropicana

I'm looking at a tropicana for possible purchase but the cabinet was painted black. Maybe you would be able to get me stencils of the cabinet paint for repainting it?

#12172 8 years ago

Will do. I haven't decided whether to get the Tropicana or a bingo machine.

#12245 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I like the feel of an original playfield

I like the balls to roll naturally like they're
supposed to instead of sliding across a clear coated playfield.

#12256 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am now to the point where finding these obscure relics is what I am enjoying most about this hobby. That and fixing them up and playing them

I used to like the popular titles until I played them and found them to be over rated. Lately I have been leaning towards the lesser known good games because they have a more unique feel to them.

#12286 8 years ago

I have a second woodrail. Thanks to a private tip by a fellow Pinsider. It needs a good cleaning, new rubbers and maybe I can repair the backglass using newmantjn's tip in the backglass touch up thread.

If you look closely at the apron. You can tell someone (the seller? didn't ask him) cut out paper or cardboard by a different manufacturer. I think that should be removed and the game returned to as close as original if possible.

BTW, this was the first game I bought in the 60's for $30 that I played for a short time until it stopped working then my father made me leave it behind when we moved across country.

I didn't think there would ever be another chance to own this game again and one feature that blew me away was that you could win multiple replays by getting the balls in the first prize, second prize etc holes. In the 60's I was used to winning one replay at a time on the games.

20150714_202656.jpg20150714_202656.jpg

20150714_202916.jpg20150714_202916.jpg

20150714_211606.jpg20150714_211606.jpg

20150714_211629.jpg20150714_211629.jpg

20150714_211719.jpg20150714_211719.jpg

#12297 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Looks interesting, but could you give a quick rundown of the rules set.
Are those holes gobble holes or trap holes or kickout holes etc??
How does the point system work?

They're all trap holes, no kickouts and I took a photo of the rule sheet for you.

Also the cardboard apron either came from a Gottlieb game or Gottlieb outsourced it to Williams? It looks hand cut as if someone made it.

Rule Sheet.jpgRule Sheet.jpg

Gottlieb Apron.jpgGottlieb Apron.jpg

1 week later
#12336 8 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

That's the thrid tropicana I have seen pop up here recently.
One near me is still has its ad up.

That's a nice one. There is one close enough that I thought about buying but don't have the resources to repaint the cabinet. It was painted black.

#12356 8 years ago

Wasn't that one listed before in same area?

Bruce

#12358 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Potato chips anyone?

I'll have some, thanks. Will wait until I'm home to check previous posts on the PC but that CL item listing looks familiar.

#12412 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Palooka- $695
portland.craigslist.org link

I just emailed the seller. I've never had an AAB and after reading the Favorite AAB game thread was thinking which theme would appeal to me and realized the Palooka would be PERFECT for me being a cartoonist with it's very cartoony theme.

It's now $650. Is that a good price for it?

Is there anyone in the Portland area that could pick it up and hold it for when I come to Portland over Labor Day weekend?

#12415 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

PM sent. Just want to mention that I purchased the 1949 Buttons & Bows from this gentleman last month and would highly recommend him as a seller.

He emailed me back that someone else wants to buy the game just before I contacted him but would let me know if the sale falls through. It may be too little too late but I'll keep my eyes open for another one because this title seems perfect for me as my first AAB with the cartoony theme.

Bruce

#12463 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I'm not a fan of BG resto just my own personal taste for original style backglass

I would use BG resto if there weren't any other repro BGs available or repair my own.

#12469 8 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Webb or maybe shay did a royal guard but no longer listed so I assume they are gone. So either I would live with or bgresto as I would only make it worse - the enemy of good is better.

Ask them anyway. Steve Engel did have a nice original BG that wasn't listed when I asked him.

#12470 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

it sure seems like craiglist has been fished out around here.

All Odin has to do is say that and the games will start pouring in again.

#12477 8 years ago
Quoted from Memodellocos:

1973 Hot Shot. No pics
southjersey.craigslist.org link

Only $50. I'd check that out if it was local.

#12478 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If it's got two inch flippers and bells it is never under my radar.

Now you need an eyepatch and parrot.

#12562 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

wolf spider in the basement

They are pretty intimidating looking. Even scarier than my two tarantulas.

Bruce

#12563 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just wonder if there is some kind of story to go with it

Knowing the history of a game is part of the fun of collecting them.

Bruce

#12587 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

someone shows their true colors

I would be very disappointed too! Hope you're able to work out something with the seller.

Good luck.
Bruce

#12646 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What's the furthest any of you have personally driven to get a machine.

750 miles round trip in one day from 5:30 am to 7 pm with breaks and an hour to break down the machine because the guy didn't know how.

This was to get a Williams Grand Champion, the machine I had as a teenager and had to leave behind when my family moved across the country.

Was worth it.
Bruce

2 weeks later
#12858 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Williams "Viking"

Which games had that shelf on the front of the cabinet for holding your drinks?

I'm surprised this feature wasn't used with more games.

Bruce

#12871 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This $400 Vagabond looks to be very original and sharp.

I wonder who did the artwork for it? IPDB doesn't list one and it looks like the artist was trying to copy Parker's style.

Bruce

#12872 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Some Williams games from 1960-1961.
Darts
Viking
Jungle
Music Man
Black Jack
Magic Clock
Bo Bo
Caravelle
Highways
Hollywood
Ten Spot

Thanks, it would be neat to have one for putting my beer on while playing some games.

Bruce

3 weeks later
#13224 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I haven't played any bingo machines. What's the draw? It always looked kind of boring

I thought about buying one because they look like fun and they're "gambling machines".

Never tried playing one but there are different strategies to play them like nick rooster says.

I'll have to wait until I have the room for one and can pay the money for a good shopped working one because I wouldn't want to have to try to fix it.

Bruce

#13240 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So why was she following this boy so close and he was not paying attention to what was in front of him?

Not only stay way back but also pay attention to what's in front of the driver like I do. I look through the front car windows or around the car to see what's happening. I don't like "surprises" like what happened to your daughter.

Glad she's ok!

Bruce

1 week later
#13344 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But sounds like a hostage - pay the ransom or the game gets it!

It sounds like that to me too but he seems serious about it. It'll be unfortunate if it doesn't sell and he does what he says he will.

He's only been a Pinside member one day.

Bruce

1 month later
#13606 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Modified with three inch flippers...good lord!

Blasphemy! I have to admit I lose interest when I see a three inch flipper game.

Bruce

#13608 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lately they have been leaving this house faster than I can bring more two inch flipper games in.

The three inch flippers just seem too big for the play field. Has there ever been a two and half inch flipper?

Bruce

#13610 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

70s EM games with three inch flippers were great when I first started buying games for home use and those were the games I played the most when I was young but now I don't care for them that much .

The first Williams three inch flipper Games were fun and I liked the style of their flippers than Gottlieb's three inch flippers. I wouldn't mind getting a Williams three inch flipper game.

Bruce

1 year later
#16391 6 years ago

The long Stenholm noses and faces are funny. They make me think of Jughead of Archie comics.

Bruce

2 months later
#16516 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I played a United game a few years back and I don't remember it having impulse.

Quoted from AlexF:

What was also interesting is the flipper linkage was tied together so either button operated both flippers.

The flipper linkage is tied together on my 1949 United Utah but they don't have impulse.

Bruce

3 months later
#16659 6 years ago

I had to look at the backglass after seeing that playfield! I think it would qualify as one of the WORST backglasses in JRpinball's topic.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1475&picno=30686&zoom=1

Bruce

1 month later
#16751 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On the plus side, the fires are all out now.

That's great to know!

#16759 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

That's a very long drive =/

Road trip!

#16760 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Game/Type: Target Pool / EM 1 Player

That posting is "expired". Wonder if it sold at all. I'd have been interested if it was in my area.

#16763 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, it's still there.

Link? I get a "This posting is expired" page.

#16768 6 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

philadelphia.craigslist.org link

Shameless self promotion..I need room. This game looks good and plays strong. 1967 Gottlieb Paul Bunyan.

Fun game with 6 flippers, 2 bullseye targets, 3 ABC targets and a rollunder. It's a 1968 game though.

#16771 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Gottlieb
Game/Type: Paul Bunyan / EM 2 Player
Month/Year: September 1968
Production: 1,900
Cost: $500
Contact/Link: philadelphia.craigslist.org link

Condition: "Works great..rebuilt pop bumpers..very nice cabinet backglass and coin door...good rubber."

Good game. If I was closer... oh wait I already have one and I don't need another. A friend shopped mine for me years ago and it still plays great. It's my wife's favorite.

#16786 6 years ago

OBO means the seller is willing to accept best offers below the asking or posted price. (not above the asking price)

#16793 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I'm seeing more and more of OBO meaning above the asking price. This breed of seller is lazy and doesn't want to research the price and is using CL and other sites as an auction. I don't deal with sellers like that.

Oh I get it, thanks.

Quoted from Pinbee:

Emailed the guy, game still available ( price had increased slightly, but still in low-end range ). Made the three hour drive and picked it up. Really nice backglass, some playfield wear around the pops, 25,400 on the meter.

Nice pickup! I used to play a SaC at the local swimming pool. The only goal in my mind was to get that red special lit then cradle the ball and try to hit it several times.

3 weeks later
#16851 6 years ago

Thanks JR for the heads up.
Someone local could ask to go see it in person just to see what the seller would do. It looks like a foreign scammer from the butchered english language.

#16888 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

El Toro is the game I will get to spend all eternity with in the afterlife.

Maybe you can have the cabinet made into a coffin so it'll stay with you in the afterlife.

http://gameroomblog.com/stuff/dracula-real-coffin-spookiest-pinball-machine-ever

1 month later
#17012 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

But what most turned me off was that it appears the PF had some water damage,
since some of the PF was starting to de-laminate.

Wow, what a beautiful game and such a unique feature with the 10 kick out holes lighting up.

Is the PF repairable? Do you have photos of the damage? Are schematics available for this game?

#17014 6 years ago

Someone from the Woodrail FB group went to see it and this is what he says:

"I've also taken a look at this and passed. Lots of rat poop and some wires chewed. Delamination of playfield and those kick out insert rings aren't anywhere close to flush. Plastics out of shape but there mostly. Agreed that cabinet is really nice including the legs. It powered on as well."

3 months later
#17097 5 years ago

Having a pinball machine that WORKS is better than having pinball machines that aren't working.

1 year later
#17271 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from MikeO:
Is that your game for sale, Brian?

It was. It now belongs to a friend that did the cabinet repaint. I can attest the playfield is super nice, and the insides are real nice and shiny. I am still considering getting it back, but I'm full up right now.

I'd possibly be interested in a trade for it for the Palooka I got from you except I've never played it. A game that I have played and really enjoyed was the Williams Apollo if anyone close enough has one to trade for my Palooka.

#17276 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

OP
Quoted from o-din:
Quoted from MikeO:
Is that your game for sale, Brian?

It was. It now belongs to a friend that did the cabinet repaint. I can attest the playfield is super nice, and the insides are real nice and shiny. I am still considering getting it back, but I'm full up right now.

More
I'd possibly be interested in a trade for it for the Palooka I got from you except I've never played it. A game that I have played and really enjoyed was the Williams Apollo if anyone close enough has one to trade for my Palooka.

This Palooka is sold and I feel it will be well taken care of as a game like it should be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl?tu=pinballfever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.