20211104_113300 (resized).jpg
20211104_110835 (resized).jpg
20211103_202710 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-03-20-49-01 (resized).png
Screenshot_2021-10-11-08-52-23 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by NicoVolta. You are on page 1 of 2.
#6898 9 years ago
Quoted from PMcGee:

$850 or $1,750?
littlerock.craigslist.org link
Vintage 1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick Pinball machine RARE- Works great! - $850 (hot springs)

I bet he is now sorting through 100 emails asking that same question. :p

#6905 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Williams Doozie With a Custom painted cab $800 obo
Someone got artistic.
orlando.craigslist.org link

Not bad. I've seen worse!

#7045 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had a nice Jet Spin, and sold it for $600 about 5 years ago. I just couldn't get into it at the time. Now that I compete instead of just dorking around playing, I think I could appreciate it more.

I bought a Jet Spin on Saturday for $225. Great backglass & good mechanics... but sold it 10 minutes later to a pal at cost.

After playing 100's of machines you know pretty quickly what works/doesn't work in terms of layout. I didn't like the lack of flow. Hit the roto. Catch. Hit it again. Catch. Hit... oh... forget it. Just not enough movement. Love the artwork though.

1 week later
#7188 9 years ago

Same owner (and ball) for 34 years... :/

2 weeks later
#7283 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Wow, I'd relieve you of your 1960s Williams collection if you were close by.

Yep ditto that.

3 months later
#8274 9 years ago

Someone in Orange County is liquidating the rares.

Strange World is a keeper, though at $3k I wouldn't bite unless it was perfect.

#8289 9 years ago

That Surf Side looks nice. Back door is gone (which will make the bells/clacking reels louder than usual), but otherwise the playfield and backglass appear to be in terrific shape. Looks to be worth the asking price as-is.

As far as 2-player EM's go, Surf Side is one of the best. Great continuous ball flow around the table and the strategy element of building/stealing multipliers really adds to the fun. The extra ball/star target is a wildcard that can reverse many a heated game at the last minute. People were screaming at each other last party we threw. Lots of fun.

Aside from replacing the usual rubbers/flippers/roto decals/pop bumpers/caps/skirts/target faces... if you insist upon pristine lamp sockets the biggest job will be replacing them. In particular those multiplier ladders up the middle require a tight 45-degree lattice of 20 individual sockets. But it sure looks nice when done. That's what I did to mine. All new throughout the game & backbox. Bright n' shiny now.

I'm bringing mine to the Texas Pinball Festival in 2015, so if you haven't played this one come out and give it a spin.

#8431 9 years ago

Doozie's secondary purple and green color scheme and Christian Marche's "pointy people" artwork isn't for everyone, but it is a sleeper of a game. Properly tuned, it's a lot of fun. I restored one and sold it to a local collector... it's still winning new fans at pinball meetups.

Lock the flippers, backhand the ball into the gate open target and through the gate. Hard but rewarding to do. Then work the 100-point bumper when lit... which only happens on the 2nd and 5th X-frame. After that, it's all uphill from there.

I only rolled it once! And only just barely!

IMG_5482.JPGIMG_5482.JPG

And came close once... arrrrrrrr...

IMG_5168.JPGIMG_5168.JPG

#8537 9 years ago

Uhmmmmm.... this customized EM is not on CL and is NSFW! Located in Vegas, naturally.

http://www.pinballowners.com/pjspinball

#8558 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

sing along - $600 - easton (pa)

Sing Along sure is popular around here... but I think Paradise is the better game. Similar layout with the same 1-2-3-4 horizontal kickers, but also with return lanes, neat-o roto-target under the inserts, and backglass hula girl animation.

#8725 9 years ago

$750 Target Pool in Twin Falls. *gasp* amazing condition...

twinfalls.craigslist.org link

#8759 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I did a Gottlieb King Rock over the summer. SIXTEEN score reels disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Each one took about 45 minutes. You become like a robot while doing them. It's not hard.

Yeah, actually that robot-like experience is part of the fun for me... getting in "the zone" where time loses significance and you become one with the process. Same thing I felt when building tube monoblocks... feels great when you have the time to give yourself to it, no compromises, no rushing.

#8803 9 years ago

Nice lookin' Spanish Eyes in east Louisville for $500

louisville.craigslist.org link

wish this was local... I'd snag it.

#8870 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Quick Draw >>> King Pin

Where would you place Jumping Jack in that lineup?

#8893 9 years ago

Heat Wave is a nice theme. Especially for Texas. Is this on CL somewhere?

#8901 9 years ago

Yeah this one is primarily a looker. Neat artwork but the PF is a little weird. Tiny slings (do they even fire?), two adjacent horizontal rows of drop targets (one of which drains to shooter... hmmm), and only one set of outlanes but there is room for two.

Odd duck, but if you have Far Out, might as well put this next to it.

#8924 9 years ago

Yeah Paradise is somewhere on my eventual list. It's also one of the first games (or "the" first?) to use return lanes. Also, the roto-projector-thingy under the inserts is kinda cool. If I was within driving distance, I'd have picked it up by now.

#8939 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

That would be Bank-A-Ball.

Depends upon the interpretation...

"According to the book All About Pinball, 'Paradise' and its Add-a-ball version Gottlieb's 1965 'Pleasure Isle' were the first playfields designed to have flipper return lanes, which are wireforms that allow the ball to roll behind the slingshot and towards a waiting flipper. However, Gottlieb rescheduled the production of a subsequent game designed with return lanes, Gottlieb's 1965 'Bank-A-Ball', so that it could be released first."

I side with creative intent vs. first-to-market.

#8960 9 years ago

*gasp* could this be? A nice GTB Baseball and Top Score for $700... total?

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#9014 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And Big Daddy wants to meet you!

320884.jpg 179 KB

LOL both tight-lipped ladies' expressions are like, "I do what I must... *sigh*"

1 week later
#9119 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

mibs - $250 - fredericksburg (va)
not my favorite game, but for 250 looks like it could be a good pickup for someone...

I like MIBS. Gameplay is a simple rollover lane chase with a fun backglass animation egging you on to complete the whole set. Nowhere near as good as 300/Top Score (same animation), but enough for a good time. I think it is underrated. A great example of the "simple but fun" design philosophy.

2 weeks later
#9527 9 years ago

Yeah sometimes the differences are pretty significant between replay/AAB games... or not at all. Also, there are other things to consider such as differences in the titles and artwork. Some can be significantly less attractive (and less fun) than others. It all depends.

In general I like replay versions better but Flipper Fair would be FAR LESS enjoyable if it wasn't AAB. Popping a "free ball" over the clown's head by making that risky center shot is awesome.

#9662 9 years ago

That should be doable. Space Mission/Odyssey shows up every other day on CL! They only made like 16,000 or so...

#9832 9 years ago

Tag Team isn't an EM, but it sure plays like one. Quite a deal for $500. Better grab this one, Floridians!

daytona.craigslist.org link

1 week later
#10055 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

play ball - $650 - bethlehem township (pa)
allentown.craigslist.org link

I think Play Ball is easily the best player of Gottlieb's baseball-themed pins.

Baseball (1970) has the most "classic" artwork, but the smaller flippers make it tough to nail those vari-targets and get the ball moving around.

Play Ball (1971) has larger 3" flippers and a trio of pops which deliver two stages of play... the "top game" trying to max out the 100 point bumper and hit the triple scoops, or the "short game" trying to dance between those vari-targets. Great balance and fast action flipping between the two zones. One of the best wedgeheads in terms of pure physics and movement.

Extra Inning (1971) same as Play Ball but no pops which makes playing the "top game" a giant dead zone. Yuk.

Grand Slam (1972) has one of the BEST backglass/cabinet art combos ever and a cool roto-target shot. But... ball flow is routinely impeded by kickouts on the playfield... and there really isn't a "top game" since the entry lanes block vertical movement. Movement is kind of stop and go all over.

Big Hit (1977) moves the pops down low like Jumping Jack/King Pin/Old Chicago and puts a pair of 3" flippers up high for striking drop targets. Much better than the emptiness of Extra Inning but the "top game" is still a little slow and empty. Big Hit is the illegitimate love child of Play Ball and El Dorado.

I wish I could have the backglass art of Grand Slam, the playfield art of Baseball, and the geometry of Play Ball. But if we're talking about fun for fun's sake...

#1 Play Ball
#2 Baseball
#3 Big Hit
#4 Grand Slam
#5 Extra Inning

Just my 2c! Don't ask me about card-theme games... still haven't made up my mind between Captain Card/Jacks Open/Joker Poker.

#10063 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

FWIW, I would put Big Hit at the top of the list. I was forever looking for a decent Play Ball as I remembered it being a fun game from my youth. I passed on Baseball for lots of reasons, especially those 2" flippers as mentioned. I first acquired a Grand Slam, then later, a Big Hit. I really fell in love with the play of Big Hit.
Finally, a decent Play Ball came my way and after shopping it out, I wondered why the Hell was I ever looking for this game. It paled in comparison to Big Hit's play IMO.
But Hey, at least you don't have Royal Flush in your final 3 for Card themes! For me, Jacks Open remains at the top as I haven't had my High Hand set up in a long time.

Well dad gum... I guess I gotta give Big Hit another spin. I get impatient with the ball hanging in the top area but maybe it's just a matter of finding one which is leveled properly. I really think IPDB (or someone?) should track optimal pitch for each game.

#10066 9 years ago

CJ and Stashy... how would you guys rank the five?

#10125 9 years ago

Looks nice from what is shown thus far... Play Ball for $625

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#10167 9 years ago

Really? At those prices I'd expect every mech to be hand-refurbed, every rivet replaced, maybe even all lamp sockets redone... and clear coated PF.

#10224 9 years ago

Yeah very cool project and extra points for taking the theme to that level of finish. Not a lot of customs get that far before the owners bail out.

#10239 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Surfer/Surf Champ is one of the quickest EM's out there. Game is a lot of fun--lot of features packed in there. I sold 2 copies of Atlantis so far and am holding on to Surf Champ as long as I have room.

Agreed: Surfer > Atlantis

Many Gottlieb single-player wedgeheads get preferential treatment because of their form factor and that universal "like likes like" thing. Gotta collect the whole set! But, truth be told, there are a fair number of Gottlieb 2/4-players which kick the crap out of the most beloved wedgies.

Larger backglass artwork is also pretty sweet.

#10240 9 years ago

I'll offer another:

Top Score > Centigrade 37

#10257 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

jacks open - $1300 - boston (ma)
boston.craigslist.org link
image.jpg

I'll eventually have one of those.

#10308 9 years ago

Cool theme... but... outlanes from hell!

1 week later
#10701 9 years ago

raleigh.craigslist.org link

This $2000 MIBS is actually the special collector's Alfred Hitchcock edition... "The MIBS".

themibs.jpgthemibs.jpg

#10740 9 years ago
Quoted from PMcGee:

Bally Rocket III has the kickback feature. Along with zipper flippers, 4 pop bumpers, 10 mushroom bumpers, a spinning bumper and right outlane ball return gate. All this in a single player pin from 1967. Designed by Ted Zale, art by Christian Marche. I have owned it for several years, but it was not an easy one to find.
4MBC is another with the left lane kicker.
Link to IPDB Page: http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=rocket+iii&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Rocket III is cool. A fair number of Williams games from that period also have the dual kickback/outlane gate features (Fan-Tas-Tic and Swinger come to mind).

#10811 9 years ago

Happy Tour/Grand Tour is a real looker when fully restored. Simple but fun game to light up all the photos. Worth the $200 for sure. Red has been cooked off of the backglass but this is common.

#10812 9 years ago

(I am restoring a Grand Tour to "max level"... like this one a lot)

#10831 9 years ago

lasvegas.craigslist.org link

Bally Freedom - 1976 pinball machine early prototype version - $1200 (Las Vegas)

freedom.jpgfreedom.jpg

Flaky backglass but only 100 made?!?

The layout looks really fun. In fact, I think the geometry looks better than any other center-mounted bumper game I've yet found (Magic City, Fan-Tas-Tic, Spanish Eyes, 8-ball, Shamrock).

Hmmmmm. Thinkin' hard on this one.

#10845 9 years ago

Mean outlanes on Egg Head. Cool art package though.

#10881 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That game's been listed forever. I'm a bit surprised PHOF hasn't grabbed it. Probably a bit too pricey for them.

Yeah I found it earlier in this thread about a year ago. Haha oh well. At least I have one now.

#10894 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

one of our texas brethren should grab that 4-Roses...

I like the classic artwork, but I don't see much gameplay there.

#10968 9 years ago

2001 > Jet Spin

I sold Jet Spin after 5 minutes of ownership. Gameplay is catch and release, over and over. Not enough flow. Great artwork though!

1 week later
#11128 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

cnj.craigslist.org link
Any follow up on this? Man, I was jonesin' for this game, but just can't get down there.

"We've had offers of $800 to $1200 thus far, but we are selling it outright for $1800"

If it lasts until the end of the estate sale, they'll likely accept the best standing offer.

#11186 9 years ago

Hanker for a hunk of cheese still rolls around in the grey matter... like a wagon wheel!

#11225 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

World Beauties for $300 in Wichita:
wichita.craigslist.org link
This shouldn't last long!

Vicious, vicious gobble holes...

1 week later
#11307 9 years ago

Frankly I'm a little weary of seeing so many pinball ads with trumped-up prices claiming only the minimum amount of effort was performed:

* It has a new ball!
* I waxed the playfield!
* I replaced the broken lamps!
* I bought a rubber kit!

So what?!? All of this is standard, ordinary, everyday, run-of-the-mill, nothing special stuff which every pinball owner should already be doing as part of everyday maintenance.

The vast majority of EM's I come across are in this category... just limping along with sad, slow mechs and sticking reels illuminated by dim lamps. This is not "working". This is what I call "nearly dead".

30 hours, to me, is nowhere NEAR enough time to resurrect one of these oldies-but-goodies. I understand businesses must have turnover and can't afford to go through every solder joint, disassemble every stepper and reel, polish the metals, rebuild/fabricate nonexistent parts from scratch, etc... but... if you ask for top prices when the work isn't there, it only hurts no-compromise hobbyists like me who grind away the wee hours for perfection.

My best buys have overwhelmingly been from other hobbyists and Pinsiders. So, yeah, preaching to the choir a little here.

#11350 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gtb King Pin for $400 in Tulsa:
tulsa.craigslist.org link
This one looks pretty nice, too.
"These machines were produced in 1973 and I have had it in my game room since 1975."
Wowzers.

I'll be picking that one up in a few hours.

#11387 9 years ago

Paradise is on my want list as well. Cleaned up and polished, it is one of the best 2-player EM's of them all. Possibly "the" best.

Only dislike is the cabinet art. Needs to be redone with Polynesian stencils and flowers.

#11461 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

'65 Bank a Ball for $1200 in Dallas:
dallas.craigslist.org link

He. Needs. To. Put. "Pinball". In. The. Title. Somewhere... never saw it.

#11517 8 years ago

Agreed many add-a-balls don't quite work for me vs. replay versions, but often this is due to adaptation. For example, Flipper Fair was originally designed as an AAB game only... no replay version... and the difficult layout of the game explains why. It's all about plunging/nudging the top lanes correctly and lining up that risky center shot. A perfect balance of risk/reward. Even with AAB the game doesn't last long!

I think this is why many replay games converted to AAB often don't feel right, and vice versa. The game-extending nature of AAB demands a slightly more difficult/riskier shot geometry on the playfield. Years later, Flipper Fair was re-released with new artwork as Cross Town (replay) and Subway (AAB). No big surprise that Subway is the better game of the two.

Good AAB games are ones which keep you on your toes constantly fighting for one more ball...

Bad AAB games feel like adaptations from replay versions, "Oh wow... ANOTHER ball? OK then. What time is it?"

#11519 8 years ago

Same with Flipper Fair. Tilting charges you that ball, the next ball, and resets any unlit lanes.

The lane penalty is a BIG DEAL in the late game! Almost impossible to recover.

According to IPDB, 1960 was the year Add-A-Ball was formally introduced with Gottlieb's Flipper and it appears a fair number of other standalone AAB's (no replay version) were built through most of 1964. At which point nearly all of them became adaptations... likely to increase production. Why design from the ground up when you can slap on a few relays and new artwork and call it done? :p

But... did the gameplay hold up? I see lots of desirable AAB's in that early golden age. Not sure about the ones which followed.

#11521 8 years ago

Ah cool... need to play those. Neat list! Any others?

BTW I'm going to modify my 2001 to reset the drops.

#11556 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Cover Girl for $475 in Los Angeles:
losangeles.craigslist.org link
Seems nice.

Yes... but... the location near the trash cans and garbage makes one sad. :/

4 weeks later
#11769 8 years ago

Nice price for a good looking Flipper Fair. The electric shock is most likely from missing fishpaper on the flipper switches. It's a good idea to heatshrink the mechanical actuators as an extra level of protection.

1 week later
#11894 8 years ago

One just turned up in OKC and was purchased by a local. Now another? I thought they were rare. :p

Derby Day: seattle.craigslist.org link

#11969 8 years ago

Now working my way through an Expressway. Simple, fast, and fun with cool artwork. Bally made a lot of nice ones from this period.

#12083 8 years ago

Yep Volley is a solid B+ title. Simple game & pleasant if not exciting artwork but definitely has that "just one more" quality to it.

#12084 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Son of a .......!!!!! I paid bookooo dalores on a Ship Mates off of Ebay that turned out to only have a good playfield and plastics. Turns out my BG is cracked when I received it. My game is a moderate project with hacks and a roto target that need rebuilt. Game needs paint, legs, coin door and a BG from BGresto. All of this alone will run me almost 1300. Buying my current Ship Mates really had me bummed a few months ago and I haven't even gotten to play a game on it. Current investment.....1000 dollars for the game + 400 shipping. I almost just feel like grouping Shipmates and my fully working Big Top as a package deal to someone.

I agree... too many obvious flaws were not disclosed and the game does not "work perfectly" based upon what I saw at Rat's casa. I would not recommend buying anything from this seller.

I do have one question though: Did you ask for the videos of the game he offered to send you beforehand?

#12131 8 years ago

OK we need a long hair pinball photo thread... how long did yours get?

#12135 8 years ago

Oh hell... I'll play. Doing the grunge years proud:

1996.jpeg1996.jpeg

(now shoulder length... but catching up with history once again)

#12238 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I did the same thing with the inserts on River Boat and a couple of others and I am very happy with the results. I don't mind some minor wear, but I want the playfield smooth.
DSCN3799.JPG

Clear coating the entire playfield works well too.

#12266 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Wms Gold Rush for $150 in Dallas:

Would have snagged that one, but my restoration queue is already full and being attacked daily...

1 week later
#12324 8 years ago

Psst... if you are local to Colorado Springs... and you are looking for a '62 King Pin project... and you don't want to pay more than $100... I may have a lead for you. Seller seems legit (though I haven't spoken to him in person). I don't think it hit CL yet. Interested?

king.jpgking.jpg

#12345 8 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

My Swing Along - final price drop before moving it on to long term storage, too nice to give away...
milwaukee.craigslist.org link

Nice... would sell quickly around here as-is.

#12346 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Asked for pics... will update.

"Pics? Oh it was sold last weekend."

Oh.

1 week later
#12523 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Flip-A-Card $400
nh.craigslist.org link

Whoa... better grab that one! I often compare it to King of Diamonds. Both have a random spinning target feature, a backbox area tracking the cards collected, and a similar goal (get them all). The main difference is KOD has better artwork & more interesting mechanical features (roto-target and backbox animation) vs. Flip-A-Card's superior geometry and shot layout.

I'm a geometry guy, so Flip-A-Card won a slot in my stable.

#12567 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Was in Vegas last week, went to PHOF and played quite a few EM's.
I'm in love with Ice Revue. Would love to add that one to the collection, so my eyes are peeled!

I put about 8 credits on that game in May at the PHOF. Fun game... but I suspect the thrill of earning specials might be lessened a bit too much at home.

Ice Show is the AAB version but the layout looks quite a bit more difficult.

2 weeks later
#12819 8 years ago

Lot of Derby Days making the rounds this year. Even saw one at ReplayFX.

#12877 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe the mystery man. I do concur that many Williams games from the early 60s are some of the better players out there. But I am yet to play them all. So far no disappointments.

Everyone (including the people who walk into my workshop and *shrug* at all of the pinball machines) LOVES 4 Roses. Can't explain why... but it's near-unanimous. Agreed with Glen that if you cherry-pick the early Williams games you'll find several which are the equivalent and perhaps better of some of the most beloved Gottlieb classics.

Here's a list of all the reverse wedgeheads Williams made during the early-mid 60's. Lots of good ones here:

Trade Winds
Friendship 7 (AAB)
King Pin
Vagabond (AAB)
4 Roses
Big Deal
Swing Time (AAB)
Skill Pool
Big Daddy
Beat The Clock
Soccer
Palooka (AAB)
Heat Wave
River Boat
Wing Ding (AAB)
Zig Zag

Wing Ding and Zig Zag are the only pair that are basically the same model made in the two versions. Also, the earlier versions of Trade Winds (first in the series) were produced with a rectangular head.

I have 4 Roses, Heat Wave, and King Pin. Would like to give Skill Pool, River Boat, and Palooka a try someday...

#12901 8 years ago

I'll throw in my 2c...

Gottlieb indeed has the best "feel". Each component feels like it was optimally tuned. Just candylike. Whereas Bally and Williams mechs have a harder/workmanlike/one-size-fits-all demeanor. Just sort of aggressively punts the ball around.

BUT

Bally/Williams mechs? Way better. Seriously. Everything from the relays to the score reels to the legible and detailed schematics. Only real weakness were those plastic stepper gears which can crack/burn. Additionally... neither Bally nor Williams ever used those horrible rotating Gottlieb "relay steppers". I HATE them. They must die. In fact, I'm designing a plug-and-play Arduino replacement for every single one of them. Good-BYE.

Agreed Williams has shitty chimes but their bells sure are pretty. A lovely & oft-overlooked feature of the reverse-wedgehead era.

#12904 8 years ago

I'm curious to hear more of Chicago Coin's chimes. They have a reputation for being especially sweet, but I don't own any and neither do any of my local chums.

#12909 8 years ago

No Chicago Coins on my want list. I've looked *very* hard... nothing yet.

#12913 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Actually, they did, in later years. Both Williams AND Bally pretty much copied the design using a small relay coil and an armature with a spring loaded nylon piece to advance a small gear.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

Rats. Old Chicago is coming soon in the resto queue. Thanks for the tipoff.

#12973 8 years ago

I recently played El Toro at ReplayFX expecting it to be total crap... but I didn't hate it. Gameplay is a bit too simple and slow coming down those middle lanes, but the compact cabinet size and color scheme were kind of nice. I'd rather have it than Bronco/Mustang.

#13020 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hypothetically if you had a HH and a Capt Card, what is transferrable between the 2? Is the wiring completely different due to the reset of the drops?

CactusJack is correct, but if you'd like to accomplish the same effect without necessarily duplicating the AAB to a "T"... it is possible.

The main difference between AAB and replay games is the ball count stepper. AAB games can count up and down via eleven positions (1-10 and game over) on the wheel... whereas replay versions only count upwards from 1-5. Thus, the best option would be to award a "shoot again" option by preventing the increment stepper from firing on the next drain.

I imagine you'd accomplish this by installing a NC relay on the ball count circuit. You'd have to wire it so that the relay opens once all of the drops are down. Likely by piggybacking a new switch onto the special relay stack. The relay would remain open until a new ball is launched... effectively awarding you an extra ball. You'd also have to wire in another relay to reset the drops again. I think High Hand desperately needs this hack because the drops stay down for the rest of the game... *blech*

I'm going to implement something like this on my Flip-A-Card for the same reason: Cards stay lit + no special points + no extra balls = no motivation to shoot for the targets. Will post the details when I get the layout finalized. Same thing for 2001... will be changed to reset the drops upon completion and maybe also award an extra ball.

#13027 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

There is another way ("hack") that was performed by Operators back in the day. That was to use the Replay unit as an "Extra Ball" counter. If the replay unit was at 0, the ball count was allowed to increment. If it was >0, you would decrement the replay unit and re-serve a ball (not changing the ball in play).
The drop target reset is a whole other enchilada but has been documented on the net for some of the Gottlieb games.
BTW, some of the later Gottlieb AAB games were done like this using WOWs or Flags on the backglass to represent stored extra balls with the normal 3 or 5 Ball count unit being used instead of the 0 to 9 Balls to Play.

Very cool idea! Never knew any had been configured like that.

#13113 8 years ago

How has this not sold yet? Target Alpha in Southlake, TX for $550:

#13142 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Also here's a Flip a Card $500
chicago.craigslist.org link

PAINT ATTACK!!

my eyes... my eyes...

#13169 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Not CL but.....
'62 Williams King Pin near Carson, California on the Pinside Market for $450
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/25103
That was one of the favorites in an informal poll of the early Williams titles. Don't see this one come up for sale very often. Wish it were near me as it's one I'd like to try out.

Looks like the seller is also offering a Card Trix for $450 which looks nice. I'd get both... if I didn't already have them.

#13201 8 years ago

Fun game, but I wouldn't go for the EM version. Like Rawhide, it uses the last of Chicago Coin's EM part inventory... and that means a ton of those crappy proprietary card-edge connectors on the score reels. 16 of them. No thank you.

3 weeks later
#13404 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That wild wheels has been for sale forever. It might sell around TPF time when some out of state schmuck buys it... nobody around here gonna drop a grand on that scheissty cabinet lol. The Sing Along has been up a good long while too.
The 800 buck repainted, new coin door+new legs Wild Life would be a much better buy to me.

Werd. I reach for the phone every time that pops up... only to realize it's the same, painted, overpriced, likely not refurbished game as before. :/

1 week later
#13443 8 years ago

KOD in Houston... $1500

75 YEARS OLD! (it isn't)

LAST ONE ON GOOGLE (where?) SOLD FOR $14K! (it didn't)

ALL REFURBISHED (it isn't) IF THAT HELPS. (it would)

houston.craigslist.org link

*sigh*

1 week later
#13476 8 years ago

Man... CL has been dead for about three months around here.

#13488 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Cool stuff in here... How does a EM play compared to a SS?

Get thyself to the PHOF, stat!

#13519 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Always liked the backglass on this one-
So it looks like Pro-Football now has some company in the linked games department. I thought we all agreed that would be the house game here!

Yeah, nice backglass on Stampede. It's one of those Chicago Coin EM Sterns with the horrible card-edge connectors on the score reels, but at least there'd be only 8 of them to repin instead of 16. *whew*

#13521 8 years ago

Yep... heard that. I'm helping a fellow VECTORIAN at the Makerspace through a System 1 Sinbad as we speak. On the upside, I sprang for one of those handy Sargent autofeed crimpers. Still not painless, but better than not having one!

#13525 8 years ago

I bought my .156" Sargent from GPE... 3136-CT. Unfortunately out of stock right now.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=138

#13530 8 years ago

Cue Ball = Miss-O + Ice Revue... looks interesting. Good finds!

1 week later
#13584 8 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

sandiego.craigslist.org link
I know nothing of this machine...

*shudder* I love to use that (Force II) and Warlok as examples of how bad pinball art got in the early 80's. Way too many junky-looking space/fantasy themes.

#13586 8 years ago

Howdy neighbor. That Big Top has been making the rounds. It was donated to one of our fellow members of VECTOR at the Dallas Makerspace several months ago who passed it on to the person you bought it from. A fairly uncommon game from the "golden age" of Add-A-Ball games.

The backglass can be repaired acceptably well using the "frost gloss" technique (we can teach you how if interested) though the most difficult part will be fixing the clown's face. Playfield is in really nice condition. But as you mentioned the cab will need structural repair and a complete repaint. Also, the mechs will need to be completely gone through, top-to-bottom.

It definitely has potential but will be a bigger job than the average fixer-upper to bring to completion.

#13588 8 years ago

More details on the technique here... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/touching-up-translucent-areas-on-a-peeling-backglass-success

Quick version: Chip out flaky paint and replace with decals, apply two layers of triple thick, touch-up non-translucent areas with acrylic paint, touch-up translucent areas with frost gloss paints (might need two or three successive applications), cover the translucent touch-ups with frost white to match the surrounding opacity, and seal with a final layer of triple thick.

#13615 8 years ago

Thanks O-din & enjoyed flipping your nice collection! Note: This is the only I game I won... thankfully preserved on camera for all time, haha.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13622 8 years ago

Marked for sale at PHOF:

Joker Poker SS - $900
Cleopatra SS - $900
Lawman (bg looks perfect, nice PF) - $800
Jumping Jack - not priced
Pennant Fever - $1100
King Pin - $600
Jacks Open - $1400
Target Alpha - $1000
Black Knight - $1400

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#13624 8 years ago

A little... but looks repairable.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 weeks later
#13709 8 years ago

Awwww. Currently on the hunt for that one. Good find.

#13723 8 years ago

Nearly all AAB's made during or after 1965 were adapted from replay versions. Problem is, not all layouts were equally suited for it. Some AAB's improved upon the replay version... but just as many became unbalanced and a bit boring.

Gotta play both versions to be sure.

In general I think the majority of adapted AAB's have inferior artwork and/or gameplay... but a few gems are in there.

#13726 8 years ago

IMHO Bowling Queen is the best of the three which share that layout (Rack-A-Ball, BQ, MIBS) due to the artwork.

Another opinion... Spanish Eyes is most fun as AAB (with 5 balls) due to the difficulty of hitting all five lanes and/or the six targets + horseshoe. I don't know anyone who has it set to replay. Nor do I know anyone who ever got the remaining ball count up to 10. Impossible!

#13742 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Captain Card is a no brainer especially at 575 dollars. It is the best 70's AAB game and arguably one the best AAB games Gottlieb made if not the best in alot of collector's eyes.

Sez you! :p For 70's AAB I'd take Card Trix, Dimension, Spanish Eyes, or Yukon first... then Capt. Card. Agreed it is one of the better AAB's of any era however and a must if you're particularly a fan of drop targets. At that price & based upon the photos... I'd take it. Backglass in particular looks superb.

#13807 8 years ago

Another woodsy! Congrats. Had to zoom in on that backglass to see if this was yet another Arabian theme with "leggy models utterly fascinated with old fat man's antics". Talk about wishful thinking!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13833 8 years ago

Nice. I'd totally snag that if it was closer.

#13850 8 years ago

O-din, I share your interest in classic art and I think I get your preferred style of gameplay. Most of my classics are 2" as well, but I have found a few nice 3" games which shake up the variety...

Gottlieb's King Pin gets heavy replays around here from people who like modern games as well as the classics. I think it is the best horizontal target shooter (ahead of Toledo, Jacks Open, Jack in the Box). It also has two mini-flippers up top, so that kinda counts, eh? I noticed most of your games have circular flow and scattered targets, so it might be too linear for you. But it is quite good and has that "just one more" quality to it.

I think anyone who has a diverse collection of pins should have at least one middle-pop game in the stable. They're great for adding variety and learning new skills. Spanish Eyes and Freedom are the only two middle-pop games with 3" flippers. I really like them both. The speed of Spanish Eyes might not be your thing though... it's pretty wild... and the art is off-putting for some but I love it. Freedom is even more fun but they only made 100 with the middle-pop so it is fairly unobtainium. I think you'd like it. Lots to do.

However, if it's just got to be a 2"... Magic City has gorgeous artwork and a middle-pop. Considered it?

The only others with 3" flippers which come to mind as possible candidates might be Old Chicago and Rancho. Great artwork, flow, and challenge on both. Given either a thorough try?

#13853 8 years ago

Ah, nice. Going right to the woodrails again. That one is also on my watch list.

#13858 8 years ago

AAAAGGHHH YA GOT ME! It's even on my middle-pop list... *facepalm*

I know there is also a fourth but it is still under development (new title).

1 week later
#13908 8 years ago

Hot Tip: Force Awakens is not Episode VII... it's Episode IV v2.0.

OK seriously I did find this one on Xmission awhile back...

Hot Tip (EM version), 1977 Williams: 850
EM version. Shopped, and play ready. Exceptional body, playfield exhibits very well, looks nice, and sharp with new rubber. Backglass has been sealed after touch up.
Don, Phone: 410 721-4473
Crofton, Maryland

#13951 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Zaccaria Ten Stars for $475 in DE:
delaware.craigslist.org link
(I'd never seen/heard of this one before - might be a cool pickup)

Voltan's lesser-known cousin, Starzan.

#13972 8 years ago

Neat game... looks simple but it grows on you. I'd like one a bit closer, please.

#14014 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

"Score" and no riding lawnmower needed!

Congrats... and another KOD paint job looms ahead. :p

#14085 8 years ago

Trail Drive is cool. Great era for Bally and the backbox animation w/light-up scoring is reminiscent of EM gun games. Could be a great deal since it is best offer.

#14101 8 years ago

Yes quite similar to 2001 but Target Pool plays somewhat slower due to the single pop up top and wider spaces between it, the slings, and the standup targets. More to shoot for, but less flow. I guess you need both! :p

Played Dimension for the first time at Arcade Expo and despite being leveled properly w/snappy action it was stupid easy! First game ever: Rolled the score twice, earned 15 extra balls, just kept going on forever. Too many adapted AAB's seem to have this issue since they weren't originally designed that way... just a casual observation.

Any way to crank up the difficulty?

#14102 8 years ago
#14107 8 years ago

Aha! That explains it. The drops weren't resetting after ball drain... stoopit easy that way. D'oh! Should have tried it after the CJ/Pete treatment. BTW, you guys are my pinball sensei's.

Agreed... too much power isn't good. I experimented with orange dot flipper coils in a few of my games but eventually reverted them back to original spec. One exception was Pro-Football. Plays better with a pair of orange dots on the lowest pair of flippers. Might have kept a pair installed in King Pin as well... can't recall.

I have two 2001's and was planning to do the drop target reset mod... but decided against it. The challenge of rolling the score is perfectly balanced as-is. With resetting drops, it might become too easy to roll it with all of those 300 point kickouts and lanes activated.

#14109 8 years ago

I'd probably do that on Ice Revue and Buccaneer. On a good game I can click up 7-8 credits at a time. Must have been scary to operate these games near pro players...

#14115 8 years ago

$50 - Gottlieb Pioneer

nashville.craigslist.org link

Buy this and bring it to me at TPF this March. :p

#14144 8 years ago

Doodle Bug is fun! It's like Teacher's Pet with the flipper/sling gaps. I actually prefer Doodle Bug just a smidge...

#14169 8 years ago

Nice looking Fast Draw, hoov.

Is it cleared? If so, it looks super nice and... geez... you're practically giving it away at that price. I have all of my EM's professionally cleared and the time it takes to touch-up, clear coat, disassemble/reassemble the playfield alone is like $1000 worth of time and effort.

Just putting a Snow Derby together for TPF right now. Newly cleared & looks awesome...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#14189 8 years ago

$900 MIBS... "in excellent condition could use some polish also needs some service it makes a loud buzzing sound as soon as game starts and the thousand point marker dose not roll other then that works great I'm asking 900 or best offer also comes with original relay chart for service"

southjersey.craigslist.org link

Comes with relay chart for service, eh? Looks like whoever's been down Service Road didn't have a good time finding their way back home...

hard_time_(resized).jpghard_time_(resized).jpg

Might as well draw a giant penis on it at this point...

#14211 8 years ago

Beautiful and fun game. I'm restoring one right now... and need a new glass for it. Alas, too far to drive. :p

#14257 8 years ago

Williams '62 King Pin might be the best reverse-wedgehead from that period... certainly in the top three. Awesome unique layout & fun graphics.

#14302 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Right now the only WMS reverse wedgehead that i would rate higher than King Pin would be Heat Wave,
after playing both of Glen Peters' fine examples at his condo in Anaheim.

Glad I bought one of each from him, just in case. :p

#14306 8 years ago

$2900 to ship this non-working game w/repro glass? Whoo... no thanks. It's not exactly a super-rare title with over 1000 produced and isn't that good of a player, either.

LOVE the theme, but I'd probably buy the repro glass by itself and duplicate the artwork onto a mural or custom wall hanging instead...

#14358 8 years ago

Williams reverse wedgeheads (chronological order):

Trade Winds
Friendship 7
King Pin
Vagabond
4 Roses
Big Deal
Swing Time
Skill Pool
Big Daddy
Beat the Clock
Soccer
Palooka
Heat Wave
River Boat
Wing Ding
Zig Zag

Own: 4 Roses, Heat Wave, King Pin
Tried and liked: Big Daddy, Beat the Clock, River Boat
Tried and "meh"/disliked: Trade Winds, Zig Zag
Wanna try: Palooka, Skill Pool

#14362 8 years ago

Stingy three ball! Never getting to Fiji! :p

#14370 8 years ago

...and Magic City! The best 2" flipper middle-pop game IMHO.

#14376 8 years ago

No pics... but....

1949 Pinball Oklahoma, 1967 Hootenanny - $250 (concord / pleasant hill / martinez)

This antique, wood rail pinball machine was in good working condition before the 2 prong plug broke off. Someone fixed it but now it turns on and hums a little so it needs work. Very clean and in great shape. Only 900 made. First year with flippers. Will consider reasonable offers.

Also, we have a 1967 Hootenanny pinball machine in great condition that works. Also 250.00. Take both and get a big discount.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#14390 8 years ago

Yeah the one at PHOF is slowwww... .. .. . . . ... . .

Joust is the best head-to-head I've ever played. Nice n' fast, with cool sounds. Anyone tried the AG Soccer/Football ones?

#14454 8 years ago

GAH! Not quite driveable for me... but $250 for a '63 Williams Skill Pool *and* foosball table... or make a separate offer FOR LESS.

fgn'ngnnnppp dad gum it

topeka.craigslist.org link

#14457 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I just tried to buy it and was told he just sold it.

Aw crap. I was thinking... hey... Mike IS coming to TPF next month... so maybe......

#14460 8 years ago

Good decision. Though I must say that Lite-A-Card sure was a looker!

#14520 8 years ago

Awright who picked up the dad gum pristine-looking Zaccaria Aerobatics for $450 in Ohio?!? Fess up, pardner!

#14547 8 years ago

TWO PINS ENTER, ONE PIN LEAVES!

two_pins_(resized).jpgtwo_pins_(resized).jpg

#14558 8 years ago

Miss-O... good middle-pop game. Like a 2" version of Spanish Eyes. $400 OBO

Would totally snag this if it was closer.

richmond.craigslist.org link

#14559 8 years ago

...aaaand the best 2" middle-pop game in my opinion: Magic City! $797 and claimed to be "HUO since 1968" bought new. Looks nice w/only some red fade in the BG.

Would also snag this in a heartbeat if closer...

#14562 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

...it looks really nice. But, every time I look at that backglass, there is something that bugs me about that fountain.......

What? The fountain outside of the Johnson Towers Hotel?

#14580 8 years ago

Exactly, Ken. HUO in so-so condition doesn't even come close to a top-flight restoration which was rescued from a busy route.

Condition is everything in this hobby.

#14597 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

In addition to Chicago Coin's 1951 THING, Twinky is another CCM game I've always liked. There's one for sale on eBay, at the moment (link below). It's a good player and it sports an undeniably attractive, vintage 1967 Christian Marche art package.

"Sponsored by NBC"

Decent artwork for CC and luckily didn't have the doorbell chimes.

#14612 8 years ago

...and leave it that way? Or restore it yourself?

The games I get usually have faded cabs with missing paint and initials carved in the sides. Backglasses flaking off/red colors gone. Playfields with scuffs, missing artwork, faux-wood pop protectors, and cupped inserts which suck the ball down the middle. And all the metals pitted, scratched, and rusty. That's just the appearance part of the deal... don't even get me started on lamp sockets.

Most of the time I have no choice but to rebuild them. *shrug*

#14639 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

I'm considering looking at this unit, it's in the next town over from me. Found this thread when trying to find info on it. So I signed up for the site and started lurking lol I'm a complete beginner with pins outside of the hours spent playing them in my youth. Not sure if I should go for an EM as my first machine, assuming the price is fair.

Nothing wrong with an EM as your first game. Actually, I think they're easier to start with all things considered. However, you'll have 16 score reels to disassemble and clean vs. a single player game. But hey, all EM's take time to go through anyway... so if you're meticulous and mechanically inclined... go for it!

Fan-Tas-Tic is a good game -and hey- middle-pop alert! This is one of only three pins with 3" flippers and a middle-pop bumper between them. I think everyone should have at least one middle-pop game in their collection. They're really cool and the layout is different enough to teach you new flipping skills.

#14644 8 years ago

It's middle-pop week on CL! Spanish Eyes is fun. Now if only another Freedom prototype would "pop" up...

#14652 8 years ago

The mid-60's/early-70's Bally era was really good! Lots of winners in there. I picked up Dixieland, Skyrocket, Expressway, Fireball, and Grand Tour and they're all terrific. Tell ya what Ken... I'll bring my restored Expressway to TPF 2017 for ya. It has been mechanically rebuilt and is next in line for the "full treatment".

#14663 8 years ago

*gasp* Dixieland for only $450?!?! Dude... if you're local... you'd better run to the phone right now and get it locked up, stat! I'd already be having it shipped this way if I didn't already own one. Glass is in better shape than most, nice PF, all it really needs is a cab repaint.

GREAT little game. Easily my personal favorite of Bally's 1960's-era, no contest.

Nice looking Vagabond too which isn't seen very often...

1 week later
1 week later
#14779 8 years ago

Wow!

Crazy... deals... are... never... local...

1 week later
#14887 8 years ago

Looks like a haiku:

1950s pinball machine
Turned cool furniture
You won't find another one

Sadly... regarding ads with no photos... we will find another one.

2 weeks later
#14988 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, but thanks for the tip!
No clowning around here-
eugene.craigslist.org link

Nice looking Flipper Fair. I've got one & it's a great layout and rule set for an AAB game. Subway also has the same layout if the clown thing bugs ya... but I think the juggling backglass animation is perfect for the theme.

This one needs white flippers, two green pop caps, two red 1pt caps, and please move the rubber *behind* that center 100 pt target.

#15006 7 years ago

...aaaaand another Spanish Eyes in Phoenix. For $75... "OBO"?!?!

phoenix.craigslist.org link

#15018 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Your the man for the job Jeff, now go get it!
Ken

"I ain't got time for 'dat!"

Jeff, you need to get busy on that Humpty Dumpty project, aye? :p

#15023 7 years ago

It's also the fastest middle-pop game of them all. The ball rockets and ricochets all over the playfield... watch those flipper drains!

1 month later
#15131 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

detroit.craigslist.org link
1974 D.Gottlieb Out of Sight Pinball machine 250$ or best offer

Nice looking glass too. $250 "OBO"? Wow... that'll go quick.

#15186 7 years ago

Oooooo I see a Surf Side in there. Just OK as a single player but is the best multiplayer EM I've played yet. Great ruleset, nail-biting conclusions, extra ball randomness to throw everyone off... really fun. People were SCREAMING at each other when we had it in Dallas.

#15195 7 years ago

Put -xbox in the subject search line... that usually takes them all out.

It's not just pinball but just about anything arcade-related which is getting spammed. :/

1 week later
#15255 7 years ago

Wonderland is the most beautiful classic pin of all IMHO. But do post a video of how it plays!

#15262 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Some games look better than the they play.
Some games play better than they look.
You should know that, don't you have a King Pin?

Sure do... I have two King Pins! :p

1 week later
#15323 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Here's a "Surfers"... looks cool... is this really "Super rare" and "priced to sell" at $1200? Hhhm...
sfbay.craigslist.org link

Not "super rare" with production count at 908... more rare/uncommon. I like 60's Bally's but the layout is kind of empty without much to shoot for (IMHO). $1200 seems high unless backglass, cab, and playfield are reasonably nice & game is working. Too hard to tell from the photos provided.

#15353 7 years ago

#t=0m23s

(skip to 23 sec)

Substitute "Trans Am" for "Toledo" and, hey, the girls will be knocking down your door... you better believe it.

1 week later
#15396 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Ew, a BALLY?!

(checks Otaku's collection, sees more than only Gottlieb games, sees Star-Jet, some Williams titles, and a brave inclusion of a Chicago Coin game too)

All good... thou shalt pass. :p

BTW, if you ever want to part with that Star-Jet... lemme know. I know a local pal who just HAS to have one.

#15398 7 years ago

You... got... THAT one? Like, you're going to rebuild a whole new cab/head/wiring harness and piece it all back together?!?

#15411 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

500 dollar 100% working Bow and Arrow!?!?! That is a steal.

It looks very nice. I want it... but they made a lot of them. I can wait for one to pop up within my driving radius. Examining it in person is also a huge plus.

To me, the Bally EM Trifecta is Freedom prototype, Old Chicago, and Bow and Arrow. All have that sexy top rail, huge glass, powerful mechs, nice artwork, and killer gameplay. All produced during that tiny span between 1975-1976 just after Wizard! blew past 10k production but just before Bally switched all production to SS. It's a real sweet spot. Some other nice ones in there too... Aladdin's Castle, Night Rider, Hang Glider...

#15441 7 years ago

Yes, O-din... Mata Hari EM would fit in very nicely! But I l don't find the gameplay quite as riveting as the other three. Which is a good thing, considering the price and rarity!

Nevertheless I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually...

#15463 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Do the humpty hump ♪ ♪♫♫
milwaukee.craigslist.org link

A bit steep though , but not seeing many of these....

Too expensive. Backglass is NOT a "10". Can't see the cabinet. Does it work?

I sold one as a project recently with nicer, non-faded glass and nice PF, cab. Project but all there. New repro legs too. $650.

1 week later
#15508 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

♪♫ Look away ♪♫ look away ♪♫ look away......
hartford.craigslist.org link

*gasp* poor Dixieland

#15511 7 years ago

I'm leery of quality issues (particularly the backglass) if I can't see it in person... but the price is nice and the photos look good. Could be a very nice example. Let us know how it turns out!

Jive Time is a fun game. The outlanes are pretty darn hungry but the art is killer and of course that spinner is just awesome for the theme.

1 week later
#15539 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That Hi-Deal looks like a pretty cool machine, and it seems to be in good shape for the price. I bet I could get it working since now I have experience with Ballys of that era.
Dang if I had room I would just go down there and snatch that up. Any opinions from anyone on this one as far as the fun factor?

Somebody want a deal on a Hi-Deal? Only $250 needs a repaint but otherwise looks nice.

westernmass.craigslist.org link

1 week later
#15574 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Bally Rocket III
southbend.craigslist.org link
They were asking $700. They took $500
Marcus

You bought?

#15578 7 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Nice pick-up.
Interesting, the cabinet re-paint kind of follows the original theme, but then not. I have yet to see a nice original cabinet paint in good condition. I have two of these waiting in storage for the time when I can re-do the cabinet art. I'm not fond of the black and pink on the production version. Thinking of doing blue and red like what is shown in the flyer.

I think that is the way to go. The pink and black never looked quite right to me. Check out "webmaster's" photos of a prototype Rocket III (no special lane, different playfield colors) on Pinball Owners. It is done in the flyer colors blue and red and looks SHARP:

http://www.pinballowners.com/webmaster#11782

rocket (resized).jpgrocket (resized).jpg

#15604 7 years ago

The layout of Sky Jump/Card Whiz doesn't work for me personally, but, in terms of condition and price? If it was on my hit list I'd already have snagged it. $400 is a deal for that game especially in that condition. And it's the more desirable 2-player version.

2 weeks later
#15676 7 years ago

HANDCRAPTED! MADE FROM RARE VALENCIA CARDBOARDE!

handcrapted (resized).jpghandcrapted (resized).jpg

OK, not an EM... but found it looking for one. Does that count?

Yeesh.

1 week later
#15701 7 years ago

I tipped off Ryan when that one popped up... almost a go... almost.

REAL nice looking Spanish Eyes for $300!

#15735 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Majorettes is a game that you MUST know how to nudge! with those two dead pops behind the flippers you have to bounce that ball. I think the mixed reviews are due to that some just don't get those nudging games.
I believe it is one of the best 60's aab made.

Agreed. It's really fun and comes from the pre-1965 "no adaptations" era of AAB's... i.e. AAB's designed only to be AAB's from the start. Majorettes is the last and rarest of these, and might be the most fun.

#15749 7 years ago

OK Pecos... now it's your duty to start a new thread: Middle-pop club owners and fans welcome kind of thing... :p

#15755 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I'll leave that to you. You have the infamous Bally Freedom prototype with the middle pop bumper after all!
Here's one for you Nico - nice price!
Manufacturer: Williams
Game/Type: Big Ben / EM 1 Player
Month/Year: April 1975
Production: 2,900
Cost: $300
Contact/Link: longisland.craigslist.org link
Condition: "Works good. Needs new rubber bumpers and an actual pinball"

Ok now that's just mean. :p

#15769 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I REALLY like the Bally pins, early 70's thru '82... the quality of construction, the unique layouts, the general "one more game" feel that they have. Of course, that was the era that I discovered pinball & our local OP had more Bally pins than any other.

Yep... this is exactly when Bally took over. No contest. They were way ahead in design, art, and technology until video games drank their milkshake.

#15773 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I'll leave that to you. You have the infamous Bally Freedom prototype with the middle pop bumper after all!

OK... the peer pressure won out... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/join-the-middle-pop-club

1 week later
#15786 7 years ago

Yeah... playfield art is a little blah-looking.

1 week later
#15851 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Gottlieb
Ice Revue
$550
detroit.craigslist.org link

Wow... ad listed 6 days ago and not sold yet? Looks pretty nice!

1 month later
#15925 7 years ago

Generally the easiest method is to buy the Krylon webbing, spray it in a HVLP gun cup, mix with some lacquer thinner, and shoot it.

A little trial and error will get the ratio and spraying technique right.

2 weeks later
#15942 7 years ago

Saw that one... seems like most Ballys from the mid-60's were treated pretty rough, if they survived at all. Which is a shame because a good number of them are really fun. The Grand Tour I bought two years ago has been the project from hell... shipping damage, internal fires (not disclosed by seller), missing door, pitted rails, poorly touched-up backglass... BUT I'M GONNA SAVE IT BE DAMNED because the artwork is gorgeous and the unique geometry has terrific fast flow. Similar to but I'd say even prettier and more fun than Rocket III, which says a lot.

(haven't played the Happy Tour add-a-ball version though... might be awesome because it's a pretty hard game as-is!)

Would love to attend ReplayFX again. My visit in 2015 was awesome. Fantastic venue, terrific nearby attractions, and huge selection of games... just great. I think I'll give it a go again in 2017.

1 month later
#15965 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Williams
Game/Type: Rancho / EM 4 Player
Month/Year: August 1977
Production: 1,229
Cost: $600

(fueling up car now)

#15968 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

So you bought the Rancho? That pin looks beautiful in the pics.

Still looking for a Sheba... that one is even harder to find.

#15973 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You getting that nice Rocket Ship while you're there..........
stlouis.craigslist.org link
And he's got a '57 Pitch and Bat, a WMS Tom Tom, and a few others

Nah just the one... but will enjoy having a look around for sure. Always nice to buy pins from fellow collectors.

#15978 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

So you bought the Rancho? That pin looks beautiful in the pics.

It is beautiful. In fact, the most beautiful EM I've ever picked up. Quite a drive... but worth it for this one.

IMG_4788 (resized).JPGIMG_4788 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#16017 7 years ago

PA... forever home of the killer deals...

1 week later
1 week later
#16085 7 years ago

Corrected link here: newjersey.craigslist.org link

Nice find. Original glass in great condition too... I'd buy that.

1 week later
#16111 7 years ago

Nice looking Rocket III for $450... damn. Would snag that in a second if it was local.

#16112 7 years ago

It's not CL, but you don't see Grand Tours come up very often...

(XMission classifieds)

Grand Tour, 1964 Bally: $800
Challenging game in nice shape that plays 100%. Playfield is a 9. Cabinet is solid and was repainted by a previous owner in the original factory design. Very nice job. Backglass is 8+. Some light flaking but the glass has been sealed to prevent further loss. The game is set on free play. Pictures available. Scammers don't waste your time or mine. Prefer local pickup.
Dennis Blankenship, Phone: 618-751-0319
Marion, Illinois, Approximately 115 miles southeast of St. Louis, MO

1 week later
#16135 7 years ago

I FINALLY found one a couple of months ago... and it just happened to be the nicest EM I ever picked up. $600 from St. Louis. 22-hour round trip, but hey, I knew what was on the line.

IMG_4788 (resized).JPGIMG_4788 (resized).JPG

#16141 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did you get a good look at that Tom Tom when you were there? I've not played one, but it might fit in real good around here.

I confess I did not, but all of his stuff was in good condition. And, as I always like to say...

Like likes like

#16142 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

My Strato-Flite and Liberty Bell (both FANTASTIC games, like wow, especially Liberty Bell - both have really really fun rules and DC pop bumpers/flippers) came to me in really nice condition as well, both for really really cheap. Strato-Flite was $100, Liberty Bell was $250 I believe, my Space Mission was $100, etc., etc...

Have you tried Grand Prix? Pretty much the same layout as Liberty Bell. Artwork isn't as nice (IMHO) but many more lights and gameplay a bit more interesting overall.

Certainly both are good and with Liberty Bell you could do the patriotic trifecta from each of the big three: Freedom, Spirit of 76, and Liberty Bell. Or four if you'd like to go with Playmatic's Conquest 200/New World.

#16143 7 years ago

Anyway... back OT post: dallas.craigslist.org link

Local Bally Trio for $650 obo. Condition looks nice. Haven't played one myself but have a great fondness for 60's Ballys.

#16148 7 years ago

Bally went a little double-flipper-happy in the late 70's.

Aladdin's Castle? Not necessary.
Harlem Globetrotters? Works well.
Captain Fantastic? Utterly superfluous.
Paragon? Frustrating but fun.

Any others?

#16168 7 years ago

Williams reverse-wedgehead list (in chronological order of release)...

Trade Winds
Friendship 7
King Pin
Vagabond
4 Roses
Big Deal
Swing Time
Skill Pool
Big Daddy
Beat the Clock
Soccer
Palooka
Heat Wave
River Boat
Wing Ding
Zig Zag

BTC is one of the better ones of the lot. Love the reverse-wedges... fast and furious!

I suspect it may have taken a hint from King Pin (Norm Clark's first game... note the similar 4-flipper spread). Any other 60's titles with this flipper layout?

1 week later
#16222 7 years ago

Dixieland is my favorite 60's-era Bally. Found a nice one from the home of a Bally employee for $1100... plus shipping. Don't regret it. It's a must-have with unique geometry and features even among the Bally zipper-flippers, but some are put off by the Saturday morning-era artwork.

1 week later
#16299 7 years ago

Wow three out of four of those are nice players. Sounds like a steal if the condition is decent!

#16304 7 years ago

I'll check it out tomorrow. Already planning to do Silverball Museum so might as well stop by here as well.

Looks like Vintage Pinball was positioning itself as an event space & EM pinball arcade. I wonder how long they'd been there before the Silverball Museum arrived last year? They are barely one mile apart from one another.

(which would be GREAT for me, but EM pinball is a pretty niche thing for most...)

1 month later
#16334 6 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I
Like Western themed pins I'm looking for a Rancho .

I think I know at least four others asking as well. It's getting a lot of attention lately.

2 months later
#16476 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Here's a better one. Yeah, I'm "going crazy" over this creampuff!
cnj.craigslist.org link

I love how some sellers threaten you for not believing them and that you'll end up with nothing if you shop around.

BUH-BYE DWEEB

2 weeks later
#16527 6 years ago
Quoted from Mcshaney:

Interesting woodrail I never heard of before
philadelphia.craigslist.org link

That one is cool. It was at TPF a couple of years ago. Phantom images appear in the mirrored section when you light them up.

Totally worth it for $350!

#16532 6 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Hey Nick, That's only about 20 minutes from me; I'll pick it up for you if you want to swing by on your next leg of the tour.

Ahaaaaa I see what you did there.

I'm passing on the woodrails for now, but at one point I did want a 3D. It is one of the better ones.

3 months later
#16663 6 years ago

Agreed... looks like it would be fun to flip.

1 month later
1 week later
#16774 6 years ago

Quick Draw - $350?!?

Yeah, that'll last a while...

lancaster.craigslist.org link

Freakin' New England!! GOT ALL THE PINS!!!

#16777 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Uh, last time I checked, Pennsylvania isn't part of New England!

Yeah yeah... you know what I mean. :p

Being from Texas I'll just say "up yonder!"

#16782 6 years ago

I would like to own the AAB version Hearts & Spades. The layout, artwork, and flow are all very nice... with bells too!

Can't do Spin-A-Card though. Like too many Gottliebs it is a "play for specials" game and thus not very useful for high score/tournament play. Like KOD, Flip-A-Card, etc, all targets have the same value and give no special point bonus when completing the set. Blech.

#16790 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Please sell all the Gottlieb replay em's with specials (the "Blech" kind) you come across to me! And cheap too since they're no good

D'oh! Don't get me wrong... Gottlieb made some fine games with superb artwork. Oftentimes I just wish the rules had been designed with a little more care in terms of scoring potential and completion awards.

Earning specials is a nice bonus, but if that is the primary goal of the game at the expense of "scoring, shots, and speed", it isn't gonna last long in my fleet.

Still... when I see 'em... I'll keep turning 'em your way!

#16794 6 years ago

Awesome pickup, Pinbee! Just trying to... help? Am I helping your situation? Hehe

I hear ya Hoov. AAB’s rock but only if they are hard as hell! Flipper Fair is a keeper for this reason. You MUST constantly fight to earn extra balls or it’s drain-drain-drain-over.

Think I’m split 50/50 on replays vs. AAB’s... it just depends upon the game. Lucky Hand over Jacks Open? Yes! Dimension over 2001? Hell no.

But hey, we need differing opinions otherwise not all of the games would be saved!

1 week later
#16824 6 years ago

Delta Queen for $300 in this condition? Yes please. (Long Island, NY)

longisland.craigslist.org link

#16827 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Look closely at the pictures. One has white flippers and one has chrome flippers.
Methinks they may not be pictures of the actual game, not that the price isn't already going to keep people away.

Whoa... good eye! White, metal, and the first one looks red!

IT REALLY IS MAGIC TOWN!!!

1 week later
#16867 6 years ago

Yep... not only more people in jail here than any other country on earth, but also highest per capita, and over 20% behind bars without a sentence.

Prison business sure is profitable. Unfortunately, the lobbyists tend to argue for stiffer penalties across the board... because, you know... can't make money when your "customers" go home.

Of course, you and I pay the bill for this.

Land of the free? Oh well. Too topical for pinball. Let's roll on... glad pinball isn't illegal.

Actually, in some cities, it still is. "Gambling equipment not zoned for residential areas"... *sigh*

#16869 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Nic should I check with the FBI to see if there is a reward for you?

LOL luckily not... just too many political podcasts during EM rebuild time.

#16872 6 years ago

Yikes... never thought of it that way. :/

#16875 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

New topic.....
Pinball in prisons

"From the three major manufacturers, I hereby sentence you to play only Road Race, Zig Zag, and Ro Go for the next ten years..."

NOOoooOOooOOOOooooOOOO!

#16880 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Zig Zag" isn't so bad. Maybe change that to "Darling".

Darling is fun to play with others though...

#16890 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

After working on the one at MOP, Road Race wasn't all that bad.
So I will make the following substitutions:
Gottlieb Airport
Williams Toledo
Bally 70's El Toro (or ANY 60's Bally other than On-Beam).

*gasp* no Cosmos? Dixieland? Campus Queen?

Would sub Big Ben for Toledo in 3" Williams world.

Anyway, eh, nothing to add lately to the CL finds. Slim pickin's around here lately...

#16909 6 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

cnj.craigslist.org link

ROFL... "The unit is all original (no Chinese reproduction)"

Whew... what a relief. I wasn't certain with so many fake EM's out there...

Quoted from AlexF:

I'm really enjoying my Little Chief. It's a game that grows on you.

It sure does! Such a simple looking layout... almost like Big Ben which might have you believe it's also a dog. But the rules, layout, and multiplayer aspect have something special about them. Maybe it's the bonus gate? I dunno. Doesn't look like a winner but it's solid.

1 month later
#16988 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Old Chicago for $250 in Little Rock, AR:
littlerock.craigslist.org link

3 months later
#17112 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Ro Go $1795 “I want to trade for something different and comparable."

Well then, here’s a $2000 King Kool project...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by NicoVolta. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl?tu=NicoVolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.