20211104_113300 (resized).jpg
20211104_110835 (resized).jpg
20211103_202710 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-03-20-49-01 (resized).png
Screenshot_2021-10-11-08-52-23 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 350.
#14801 8 years ago

What era were the Krate bikes? I hate to say but this was not something that was part of my childhood. Very cool looking, though!

#14802 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

What era were the Krate bikes?

Can you tell by his outfit?

1970-krate_(resized).jpg1970-krate_(resized).jpg

#14803 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1970-krate_(resized).jpg

"I'll guess late-60s for 100, Alex." (?)

#14804 8 years ago

Here's another blast from the past.

1969-krate_(resized).jpg1969-krate_(resized).jpg

#14805 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

"I'll guess late-60s for 100, Alex." (?)

You mean Trebek right?

ht_alex_trebek_mustache_jeopardy_1_jc_140911_16x9_992_(resized).jpght_alex_trebek_mustache_jeopardy_1_jc_140911_16x9_992_(resized).jpg

#14806 8 years ago

It's not a Krate, but I do have this Fastback in my garage waiting for my daughter to get a bit older.
Fastback_2_(resized).JPGFastback_2_(resized).JPG

#14807 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You mean Trebek right?

ht_alex_trebek_mustache_jeopardy_1_jc_140911_16x9_992_(resized).jpg

Yes, that's where I was going

#14808 8 years ago

O-din, In our older thread, what did they call the stick shift on those? Nard Crushers?

#14809 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1970-krate_(resized).jpg

Of course this name would be politically incorrect today. Didn't know about the "Coal Krate" either. I always wanted a "Fastback", then they came out with the Krates, and I dreamed of owning a "Lemon Peeler". Never came close to getting one though.

#14810 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Unless you are willing to settle for the remakes:
ebay.com link » Schwinn Sting Ray Bicycle Apple Krate Reproduction Complete
Sometimes you can get lucky:
ebay.com link » 1970 Schwinn Pea Picker Krate Vintage Stingray Banana Seat Bike S2 Springer 20

The repros are single speed though. That takes a lot of the fun out the bike right there.

#14811 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

O-din, In our older thread, what did they call the stick shift on those? Nard Crushers?

I just had a basic Sting Ray. This is something you wouldn't want to do on a Krate.

stingray_(resized).jpgstingray_(resized).jpg

#14812 8 years ago

We did that in the 60's before Michael Jordon got "air" in another decade.

#14813 8 years ago

I tried that and went over the jump too slow. Ended up Endo-ing and smacking my forehead on the Pavement. Might explain a lot of my problems???

#14814 8 years ago

Hey O-din, Maybe he will trade for a Pinball?

losangeles.craigslist.org link

Or, how 'bout this one: NIB

losangeles.craigslist.org link

#14815 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just had a basic Sting Ray. This is something you wouldn't want to do on a Krate.

stingray_(resized).jpg

That kid has obviously studied Knievel. Hope he landed OK!

#14816 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That kid has obviously studied Knievel. Hope he landed OK!

He's just trying to work his way up to this.

download_(3)_(resized).jpgdownload_(3)_(resized).jpg

#14817 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Well, if you leave your girl and/or bike unattended while you play pinball. Some slick character could come along and swipe them both I suppose.

This slick guy will come and steal your girlfriend and your pinball trophy.

Pinball-Summer_(resized).jpgPinball-Summer_(resized).jpg

Pick-up_Summer_(1980)_04_(resized).jpgPick-up_Summer_(1980)_04_(resized).jpg

#14818 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I get the Coal Krate and that would certainly follow.

No. Any girlfriend you got by riding that bike would probably come with Girl Scout cookies...and it's the cops that would certainly follow.

#14819 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

stingray_(resized).jpg

That's how I wound up with three stitches in the back of my head. Banana-seat Schwinn over a ramp. Landed on the front tire and flipped over the handlebars, and the spokes of the gears landed on my head. Blood all over the place.

Good times, the 1970s.

#14820 8 years ago

I remember the late 70's and my "Huffy" with the banana seat bike circa 1978. I jumped of a huge dirt mound fell forard and landed straight on my knees. The bike continued on about another 15 feet. The bike landed upside down ripping off the seat and breaking the two bolts. I was like 6 or 7. My Dad was very irritated with me and there were scabs on my knees for months afterwards.

#14821 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's how I wound up with three stitches in the back of my head. Banana-seat Schwinn over a ramp. Landed on the front tire and flipped over the handlebars, and the spokes of the gears landed on my head. Blood all over the place.

That's why you pull back on the handlebars and..... hope they are tight.

#14822 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's why you pull back on the handlebars and..... hope they are tight.

Oh...

#14823 8 years ago

I experienced the not tight enough handlebars on my Sting Ray once. I don't even remember what happened there.

#14824 8 years ago

650 $ flipper-less Spot a Card in CT

newhaven.craigslist.org link

#14825 8 years ago

This has to be gone ....

longisland.craigslist.org link

#14826 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He's just trying to work his way up to this.

download_(3)_(resized).jpg

As I recall, the landing on that particular jump didn't turn out very well!

#14827 8 years ago

He said somebody moved his landing ramp

#14828 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Landed on the front tire and flipped over the handlebars

This was you?

ramp_(resized).pngramp_(resized).png

#14829 8 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

This was you?

ramp_(resized).png

Very poor form compared to the lad above. Looks like the "jewels" are about to suffer some compression.

#14830 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He said somebody moved his landing ramp
» YouTube video

Bike was way too big and heavy. Got the front wheel too high in the air. Just a c-hair short on the landing. Otherwise, perfect!
Hey, had he made that jump safely, he probably wouldn't have gotta so famous so fast. That crash got everyone's attention!

#14831 8 years ago

Why did we do this stuff? Because we could...

Oh, wait minute... some of us still do!

#14832 8 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

This was you?

ramp_(resized).png

Yes. Except the bike was yellow. And my hair was blonde. And it might've even been a girly bike with frilly shit on the handles. And I came down at a far more severe angle, which threw me over the handlebars and made the bike flip over on top of me.

Other than that, yeah...it's me.

#14833 8 years ago
#14834 8 years ago

I had an Apple Krate. Late 60s was the time. I jumped it, no problems at all. You just have to make sure you pull back like you're popping a wheelie when you go over the jump.

I did wipe out a few times doing wheelies though. All without a helmet. Somehow, we survived it.

#14835 8 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

I like this ad.
kansascity.craigslist.org link

I'm still trying to figure what a "doller" is.

Way to rep KC, dude.

#14836 8 years ago

I was always a Western Flyer kind of guy,
mainly because the manager of the local Western Auto store lived across the street.
Besides I was not cool enough to carry off riding a Schwinn Sting Ray, let alone a krate.

3474d82b5b85f1420c18217745b55d5c_(resized).jpg3474d82b5b85f1420c18217745b55d5c_(resized).jpg
western_flyer_(resized).jpgwestern_flyer_(resized).jpg

#14837 8 years ago

I can vividly remember the smell of all those new bikes in the Schwinn store. Getting my first new bike that wasn't a "hand- me-down...... A gold stingray. Top 10 kid memory for me.

#14838 8 years ago

When we went to get my brother a Schwinn 10 speed for his 12th birthday those Krates were all lined up at the front of the store. My mom said you get a new bike when you turn 12 which was three years away. When I finally turned 12 I got my brothers 10 speed which was in disrepair by then. But I fixed it up and it served me well for several years...

#14839 8 years ago

And it was just in time because I had just come back from playing El Toro.

Well recently anyway...

#14840 8 years ago

Here's the scene of the crime. Originally it was a Farrells and now it is Panera Bread, but at one time there were a few pinball machines right thru that window.

ccRFoXSR_620x465_(resized).jpgccRFoXSR_620x465_(resized).jpg

#14841 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I was always a Western Flyer kind of guy,
mainly because the manager of the local Western Auto store lived across the street.
Besides I was not cool enough to carry off riding a Schwinn Sting Ray.
3474d82b5b85f1420c18217745b55d5c_(resized).jpg
western_flyer_(resized).jpg

LOL, someone made a nice chopper out of something there.

I had a Sting Ray, got swiped replaced it with the Apple Krate. That bike was boss.

I traded it in the 70s for a plain old 10 speed. Now you see what they get for them and have to just shake your head.

#14842 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I had a Sting Ray, got swiped replaced it with the Apple Krate. That bike was boss.

Midwest deals.

#14843 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here's the scene of the crime. Originally it was a Farrells and now it is Panera Bread, but at one time there were a few pinball machines right thru that window.

ccRFoXSR_620x465_(resized).jpg

We need to hire this guy to get your bike back.

taken_(resized).jpgtaken_(resized).jpg

#14844 8 years ago

Talk about a ripoff, have you ever been in a Panera Bread?

#14845 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

LOL, someone made a nice chopper out of something there.

I believe that was an actual production model (albeit with special mod handle bars) and
It can be yours now for only $1500 on ebay.
< to the Mods: Sorry for this thread going so OT, but loving every minute of it>

not mine

ebay.com link: Rare 70s Western Flyer Murray RAM ROD King Kat Chopper Muscle Bike

#14846 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I traded it in the 70s for a plain old 10 speed. Now you see what they get for them and have to just shake your head.

Interesting as this is how it worked out for me.

I had a Sting Ray as well and then it came time to get a new bike. I had my heart set on a Schwinn Apple Krate and went down to the Schwinn dealer with my mom and her boyfriend as he was the one paying for it. So we get there and there is not one Krate or other type in the store and it was a special order.

Being a kid I was pressured by my mom to buy something off the floor now as she said this would be my only shot, so I ended up picking a Schwinn Varsity Sunset Orange 10 Speed which I had a lot of fun with over the years.

I was still bummed about not getting a Krate then and still bummed to this day. My friend had an orange Raleigh Chopper 3 Speed back then and I got to ride that a bit which was cool but always reminded of the Apple Krate I never got to have.

Ken

#14847 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Once. That night I barfed my guts out. Probably an unfortunate coincidence but that's how associations are made. My daughters like it.

#14848 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My daughters like it.

That's the only time I went there to buy her some six dollar mac and cheese or something like that.

On a whole nuther note, I'm happy to say after some serious trimming of all the dead burnt wood from that scorching end of summer and some extra rain this year old faithful looks like it is starting to make a comeback.

DSCN4370_(resized).JPGDSCN4370_(resized).JPG

#14849 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What you got a problem with paying 5$ for a scone ?

#14850 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's the only time I went there to buy her some six dollar mac and cheese or something like that.
On a whole nuther note, I'm happy to say after some serious trimming of all the dead burnt wood from that scorching end of summer and some extra rain this year old faithful looks like it is starting to make a comeback.

Yeah, huh?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 350.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl/page/297 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.