20211104_113300 (resized).jpg
20211104_110835 (resized).jpg
20211103_202710 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-03-20-49-01 (resized).png
Screenshot_2021-10-11-08-52-23 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 350.
#11901 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The only real question is where am I gonna put it.
DSCN3755.JPG

Be sure to give that beauty a prominent place in your collection.

#11902 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Be sure to give that beauty a prominent place in your collection.

Done!

DSCN3762.JPGDSCN3762.JPG

#11903 8 years ago

It wasn't that long ago I couldn't find a woodrail...

#11904 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks. Will the Lacquer alter the natural wood color or just shine it up? I'd like to keep the wood color as it is but make it look good plus protect it.

A new coat of Lacguer will really bring out the beauty of the wood. Wood and most finishes do darken some with age. I don't find that to be a bad thing. It just brings out the warm tones and enhances the beauty in my opinion.

#11905 8 years ago

They look great together!

#11906 8 years ago

Time to find an ad on CL for the Scramble and Pole Position or take them to Captains. LOL. Speaking of prominent places....where did Surf Side go?

#11907 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Time to find an ad on CL for the Scramble and Pole Position or take them to Captains. LOL.

Pole Position maybe, but I think I will keep that Scramble. Neither one is going to help get the truck back in the garage at this point anyway.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

where did Surf Side go?

I was wondering when you were going to ask... we kind of liked it where it was.

I've got the hood up on Frontiersman to make a few adjustments.

DSCN3763.JPGDSCN3763.JPG

DSCN3764.JPGDSCN3764.JPG

#11909 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got the hood up on Frontiersman to make a few adjustments.

It looks like your own personal EM arcade. "Honey, I'm going over to my arcade in the shed to play a few games."

#11910 8 years ago

"Honey, I'm going over to my arcade in the shed to play a few games."

If and when I get a new honey, I hope she can get used to the other 16 that are in the house. There is no room for china cabinets, closets full of shoes or other useless junk.

#11911 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If and when I get a new honey, I hope she can get used to the other 16 that are in the house. There is no room for china cabinets, closets full of shoes or other useless junk.

He just doesn't post pictures of the ones inside here because that's where the solid states are hiding!

#11912 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope she can get used to the other 16 that are in the house.

I hope she doesn't say, "either they go or I go."

#11913 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It wasn't that long ago I couldn't find a woodrail...

Now you've got wood!

#11914 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

He just doesn't post pictures of the ones inside here because that's where the solid states are hiding!

They are not all SS in the house. In fact that is where my wedgehead is hiding.

I hope she doesn't say, "either they go or I go."

I hope she would know the answer to that before she said it.

BD.jpgBD.jpg
399526-i.jpg399526-i.jpg

#11915 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Now you've got wood!

I woke up with wood!

#11916 8 years ago

I still haven't beaten the Big Daddy challenge, so I was conveniently leaving that one out ...

#11917 8 years ago

After we were done playing last night I spent quite a while looking at Frontiersman and I kept saying to myself it doesn't get much better than this, and in reallity it doesn't. The gameplay is as outstanding as the art package which IMO is one of the best of all time.

#11918 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

After we were done playing last night I spent quite a while looking at Frontiersman and I kept saying to myself it doesn't get much better than this, and in reallity it doesn't. The gameplay is as outstanding as the art package which IMO is one of the best of all time.

Giving another thumb's up as this game, also, is in the top of my favorites. Yep, I agree that the back glass is one of Roy Parker's best: Has a pretty Parker Babe, beautiful colors and humorous gags scattered, including a "politically incorrect (by today's standards) of an Indian drinking heavily. Also a St. Bernard with the brandy barrel around his neck and the raccoon holding up a cup to catch the dripping brandy...

There's a woman hitting an Indian with a rolling pin and she has a voice balloon which illuminates the "tilt." Many characters wearing the coon skin hat of the Davy Crockett fad of that era.

It was the last Gottlieb with wooden legs...

Enjoy!

#11919 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This game is a true woodrail and all about what they represented and could be.
Excerpt below taken from ipdb.org rating site:
Frontiersman is one of several excellent Gottlieb multi-special, gobble-hole games of the mid-1950's. Its "align" or "advance" strategy is a typically brilliant Neyens' tease. Hitting the A-B-C or D targets or rollovers advance that row of lights toward the center hole. Advancing any letter 4-steps (Purple, Yellow, Green, Red) lights the gobble-hole to score 1 replay. Aligning any 4 spots of the same color (the same number of advances of all 4 letters) lights the gobble hole to score - Purple:3 replays, Yellow:4 replays, Green:5 replays, Red:10 replays!
There's a reason these games developed enormous followings "in the day"! They were challenging, exciting, loaded with "came close, try again" appeal and you got 5 balls for a nickel.

In addition to the above award structure, everytime you aligned all 4 letters to the same color (any of the 4 positions) you lit one "flaming arrow" on the backglass. Every 5 flaming arrows scored light one number along the left edge of the backglass and lighting 5 numbers (25 total flaming arrows) awards 5 replays. This holdover feature is a nice "Crackerjack extra" from the hand of Master Designer Neyens! In addition, replays can be won for score with typical levels set by 50's operators at 5 million, 5-5, 6 million, 6-5 and 7 million.

Satirical artwork by Leroy Parker, brilliant design by Wayne Neyens, a blatant parody of Walt Disney's hugely successful Davy Crockett TV dramas, exciting target-shooting challenges for flipper aficianados and double-digit relay possibilities make Frontiersman one of the finest games from pinball's Golden Age in my opinion.

#11920 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

This game is a true woodrail and all about what they represented and could be.
Excerpt below taken from ipdb.org rating site:
Frontiersman is one of several excellent Gottlieb multi-special, gobble-hole games of the mid-1950's. Its "align" or "advance" strategy is a typically brilliant Neyens' tease. Hitting the A-B-C or D targets or rollovers advance that row of lights toward the center hole. Advancing any letter 4-steps (Purple, Yellow, Green, Red) lights the gobble-hole to score 1 replay. Aligning any 4 spots of the same color (the same number of advances of all 4 letters) lights the gobble hole to score - Purple:3 replays, Yellow:4 replays, Green:5 replays, Red:10 replays!
There's a reason these games developed enormous followings "in the day"! They were challenging, exciting, loaded with "came close, try again" appeal and you got 5 balls for a nickel.
In addition to the above award structure, everytime you aligned all 4 letters to the same color (any of the 4 positions) you lit one "flaming arrow" on the backglass. Every 5 flaming arrows scored light one number along the left edge of the backglass and lighting 5 numbers (25 total flaming arrows) awards 5 replays. This holdover feature is a nice "Crackerjack extra" from the hand of Master Designer Neyens! In addition, replays can be won for score with typical levels set by 50's operators at 5 million, 5-5, 6 million, 6-5 and 7 million.
Satirical artwork by Leroy Parker, brilliant design by Wayne Neyens, a blatant parody of Walt Disney's hugely successful Davy Crockett TV dramas, exciting target-shooting challenges for flipper aficianados and double-digit relay possibilities make Frontiersman one of the finest games from pinball's Golden Age in my opinion.

Having played tons of pinballs from every decade and owned around 40 - SS and em's, I think the Gottlieb 1954 - 1955 represents some of the finest pinballs ever made art work and really outstanding gameplay/rulesets.

#11921 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think the Gottlieb 1954 - 1955 represents some of the finest pinballs ever made art work and really outstanding gameplay/rulesets.

I am in total agreement on this. As I said it would be hard for me to find any machine from any era that would top Frontiersman at this point. However the Williams during this time although not as prevelant were getting very creative with features and also had some mighty fine artwork. I am finding that Pinky very addictive to play and it was made in 1950. But who else is going to know?

#11922 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I still haven't beaten the Big Daddy challenge,

Not many have, but you are always welcome to take another crack at it.

#11923 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

A new coat of Lacguer will really bring out the beauty of the wood. Wood and most finishes do darken some with age. I don't find that to be a bad thing. It just brings out the warm tones and enhances the beauty in my opinion.

Thanks. I want to finish the wood trimming and legs on my woodrail with Lacquer. Any brand recommendations?

#11924 8 years ago

I have been using Watco brand. Nice stuff but do it outdoors if you can. I buy mine at Menards. Although I don't know if there any Menards in UT yet?

#11925 8 years ago

Today would have been my father's birthday. He passed away a little over 10 years ago. He would have loved this stuff! He looked a lot like the gentleman on Big Daddy. I miss him.

Anyway, back on topic-

Mars Trek -$650

losangeles.craigslist.org link

Sonic Super Straight- $495

#11926 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I have been using Watco brand. Nice stuff but do it outdoors if you can. I buy mine at Menards. Although I don't know if there any Menards in UT yet?

Will remove the wood trim/legs and do it outside. Closest Menards is 325 miles. >.<

#11927 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He looked a lot like the gentleman on Big Daddy.

Especially when he was sporting a mustache. He always arrived in style. Happy birthday dad!

// Error: Image 418805 not found //

#11928 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am in total agreement on this. As I said it would be hard for me to find any machine from any era that would top Frontiersman at this point. However the Williams during this time although not as prevelant were getting very creative with features and also had some mighty fine artwork. I am finding that Pinky very addictive to play and it was made in 1950. But who else is going to know?

I passed on a Frontierman last year and a few months ago due to lack of space.......starting to regret big time!

#11929 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mars Trek -$650
Sonic Super Straight- $495

More coast deals.

#11930 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I passed on a Frontierman last year and a few months ago due to lack of space.......starting to regret big time!

I hear ya! I passed on a couple that came up the last couple years, but they were always too much and too far away. I have no regrets buying this one at all!

#11931 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Tom -
Do you have one of these in your vast collection?

#11932 8 years ago

I didn't realize until now that when I mentioned we stopped a Tommy's after picking up Frontiersman that they are still only a local chain with a few locations in Nevada. I hear people from elsewhere talk about In-N-Out like it is some holy grail of burger joints around here, but reality is they are kind of bland and we rarely eat there. Tommy's FTW!

// Error: Image 418831 not found //

// Error: Image 418832 not found //

#11933 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't realize until now that when I mentioned we stopped a Tommy's after picking up Frontiersman that they are still only a local chain with a few locations in Nevada. I hear people from elsewhere talk about In-N-Out like it is some holy grail of burger joints around here, but reality is they are kind of bland and we rarely eat there. Tommy's FTW!
tommy-s-original-hamburgers.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg

I agree on In-N-Out completely. Burgers are pretty bland overall, and their fries are terrible. There are many better options around, including Tommy's.

And I *love* hamburgers in general.

#11934 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gtb King Pin for $475 in NJ:
southjersey.craigslist.org link

I grabbed this last week for a guy at work that has been pestering me to get him a machine.

Pretty clean. Has spent the last 25+ years in homes.

About 80k plays.

Just about everything works.

But all 4 flippers are really weak.

I adjusted all the EOS switches and it helped some, but still very weak.

I'm going over one night this week to get him started cleaning and adjusting.

I probably should have kept it for myself and given him one of mine

Bert

#11935 8 years ago

Will remove the wood trim/legs and do it outside. Closest Menards is 325 miles. >.<

You don't need to remove the wood trim. Just take all the mechanicals out and backglass, cart the empty cab outside. Remove the legs and lock down obviously. Just be careful sanding but it's not real tricky as the finish on the underside/backside of the trim is usually super thin or non-existent. Sand all the wood as close to bare as you can. Vacuum off any dust. Or you can wipe it down with mineral spirits. Apply 3 coats of lacquer, letting them dry between. Be precise so as to not get any on the cab. You can tape it off if you're worried. After it's dried hard, sand the lacquer and vacuum the dust. Apply two more coats. It should be good, or you can buff it with very fine steel wool to knock down the gloss a bit and make it silky smooth. I'm not an expert but I have had pretty good results with this process.

#11936 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You don't need to remove the wood trim. Just take all the mechanicals out and backglass, cart the empty cab outside. Remove the legs and lock down obviously. Just be careful sanding but it's not real tricky as the finish on the underside/backside of the trim is usually super thin or non-existent. Sand all the wood as close to bare as you can. Vacuum off any dust. Or you can wipe it down with mineral spirits. Apply 3 coats of lacquer, letting them dry between. Be precise so as to not get any on the cab. You can tape it off if you're worried. After it's dried hard, sand the lacquer and vacuum the dust. Apply two more coats. It should be good, or you can buff it with very fine steel wool to knock down the gloss a bit and make it silky smooth. I'm not an expert but I have had pretty good results with this process.

Might need to do this soon.

Any lacquer you recommend?

#11937 8 years ago

I have been using Watco brand. I like it. There may be many good alternatives depending on availability.

#11938 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Thanks Alex, this will be my first time refinishing the woodrail trimmings and legs. I want them to look good.

I did a search and am seeing semi gloss etc models but it looks like this is the Watco model you use. Will try to find it here or order it online. http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Wallcoverings/rustoleum/Prod_Tech_Spec/Watco-LacquerClear.pdf

#11939 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Tom -
Do you have one of these in your vast collection?

Nope, but have played it at several PPE and PAGG shows in past or was it
at Sam Harvey's home collection.
The game play reviewed was cut&pasted from Gordo on ipdb.

Only woodrails i own
are WMS Golden Bells and Gusher
and a flipperless GTB Bordertown

#11940 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I have been using Watco brand. I like it. There may be many good alternatives depending on availability.

Is spray or brush best?

Gloss, semi or satin?

Thanks

#11941 8 years ago

I like brush on Semi-gloss. A good brush makes a big difference.

#11942 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Only woodrails i own

Only own one woodrail but hope to get a second nice woodrail someday for a good price. Either a Williams, Gottlieb or United.

I'm thinking about getting the United Tropicana but haven't decided for sure because it's flipperless, doesn't seem as much "fun" as a flipper model with a good ruleset.

#11943 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The lacquer on your woodrail is beautiful and speaks for itself.

#11944 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I like Purdy brushes, paint just flows better with a good brush.
Makes a world of difference --- the low end brushes lose bristles....

#11945 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Nope, but have played it at several PPE and PAGG shows in past or was it
at Sam Harvey's home collection.
The game play reviewed was cut&pasted from Gordo on ipdb.
Only woodrails i own

Yeah, looking forward to my first woody
Will find one someday.

#11946 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

They were challenging, exciting, loaded with "came close, try again" appeal and you got 5 balls for a nickel.

I had a few guests over last night and as it turns out Pinky would have been the big earner. There was rarely a moment when it was not being played. After turning down a few offers to sell it we compromised and Blue chip and Wishing Well now have new homes. And the truck now fits. Pinky was the best $100 I ever spent. There may be some game play videos coming.

DSCN3767.JPGDSCN3767.JPG

#11947 8 years ago

I wish I was closer!!!

#11948 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had a few guests over last night and as it turns out Pinky would have been the big earner. There was rarely a moment when it was not being played. After turning down a few offers to sell it we compromised and Blue chip and Wishing Well now have new homes. And the truck now fits. Pinky was the best $100 I ever spent. There may be some game play videos coming.
DSCN3767.JPG

I thought Wishing Well would go!

Not because it ain't a great game but gameplay is similar to Frontiersman with the 'advance and align ' strategy.

Pinky sure is unique and as rare as hen's teeth

#11949 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There may be some game play videos coming.

looking forward to some video of pinky gameplay

#11950 8 years ago

O-din, i really like your Rocket...

Silver ball museum has one, theirs is very snappy and was a total blast gameplay wise for me..

If i were to buy a woody, that would be the one i'd want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.98
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 350.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl/page/239 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.