Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 27dnast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Good afternoon all, I'm a bit of an outsider to the group looking to gain some knowledge. We're in the process of remodeling our basement bar into a pub-style environment and, in the planning, set aside an area for a pinball machine. As someone who knows little to nothing about pinball machines aside from playing one time-to-time, I searched the WWW and found this site. I've spent about a month or so looking through the forums when I have some spare time in an effort to gain some insight. In that time, I've answered some of my own questions (like what the heck "routed" meant) but still have a couple that remain. I thought this would be the best place to ask since you all seem quite knowledgeable. I am asking these questions as someone who just wants a playable pinball machine that doesn't get worn out or damaged. I don't have any delusion of having the worlds best (insert game title) pinball machine!
    Without further ado (or an additional wall of text ) -

1. I have little to no technical ability, through reading these forums it appears that a lot can go wrong with machines. This makes me weary of buying one as I don't really want it to become a money pit. I'm looking to spend about 4k-5k on a nice machine, preferably newer but not brand new. What seems like reasonable budget-wise on a yearly basis for to pay someone for repairs and upkeep? Assuming I'm unlucky (I usually am), how often do small things go wrong on machines? It seems like a lot of small things built up could become one big issue.

2. The clearcoat/waxing stuff is confusing to me. If I buy a newer game (let's say something made in 2006) do I need to have someone clearcoat it after a year or so? I tried reading through the playfield restoration thread but there was so much side conversation that I had trouble following (I did find out about a plethora of different waxes, however). In terms of waxing, I assume this prevents damage to the playfield similar to the way wax works on a car. What I'm not certain of is when to wax it (if necessary?).

3. Is it safe to ship a pinball machine (assuming you're buying from someone who knows what they're doing)? I see most around here travel to pick them up directly. Unfortunately, that doesn't appeal to me so I'm left needing to find a way to have one shipped. I've tried to get an idea for cost by referencing eBay auctions but they seem to vary wildly.

Sorry, it's a bit long winded and hopefully I didn't ask too many questions that are easily found elsewhere. I truly did spend time reading the forums. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated

~Brenden

#2 7 years ago

Welcome to the forums

Quoted from bpmdu:

1. I have little to no technical ability, through reading these forums it appears that a lot can go wrong with machines. This makes me weary of buying one as I don't really want it to become a money pit. I'm looking to spend about 4k-5k on a nice machine, preferably newer but not brand new. What seems like reasonable budget-wise on a yearly basis for to pay someone for repairs and upkeep? Assuming I'm unlucky (I usually am), how often do small things go wrong on machines? It seems like a lot of small things built up could become one big issue.

Some games are more problematic than others. Do you have a local tech who does repairs, or do you plan on trying to do repairs yourself? Hiring someone is always going to cost a lot more.

Quoted from bpmdu:

2. The clearcoat/waxing stuff is confusing to me. If I buy a newer game (let's say something made in 2006) do I need to have someone clearcoat it after a year or so? I tried reading through the playfield restoration thread but there was so much side conversation that I had trouble following (I did find out about a plethora of different waxes, however). In terms of waxing, I assume this prevents damage to the playfield similar to the way wax works on a car. What I'm not certain of is when to wax it (if necessary?).

No, you don't necessarily have to clear coat it. Usually this only done as part of a restoration.

As for waxing: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Quoted from bpmdu:

3. Is it safe to ship a pinball machine (assuming you're buying from someone who knows what they're doing)? I see most around here travel to pick them up directly. Unfortunately, that doesn't appeal to me so I'm left needing to find a way to have one shipped. I've tried to get an idea for cost by referencing eBay auctions but they seem to vary wildly.

There is some risk involved, especially if you can't inspect the game in person.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/

Also, there is always a risk of a shipment being damaged in transit. There are several sad stories scattered around on the forums about this. However, there are also several stories of a shipment that went off without a hitch.

The best thing to do, especially for a first-time owner, is to inspect the game in person.

#3 7 years ago

If you can afford to $4 or $5k for a game definitely get a newer Stern game that you like.There will be maintenance issues over time with any pinball machine.Check for a local service company that can help fix any problem you may have and educate yourself about the basic mechanics and electronics of a pinball machine.The fun factor is well worth the effort.

#4 7 years ago

For $4k to $5k you buy a brand new stern pro and they will ship it with very little risk. Also there will be very little odds of something major going wrong anytime soon
    That is what I suggest

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from flamehead:

For $4k to $5k you buy a brand new stern pro and they will ship it with very little risk. Also there will be very little odds of something major going wrong anytime soon
    That is what I suggest

This.

Also - add your location to your profile so we know where you are and you can meet local pinheads.
    And I'd clear space for 2+ machines

#6 7 years ago

Welcome to the fun !

3. - Try and buy in person unless it is brand new.

Meet local collectors, attend pinball shows, learn all you can and local new friends can be a real help in getting and fixing.

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies thus far, these forums are much more newbie friendly than some others I've gone to (non-pinball related). I'm not much of a pinball player myself nor is anyone in my family. It's more a "fits in a bar" type decor enhancer at this point. That's not to say no one will play it.

I am actually located in Iowa so somewhat centrally located at least. I've searched the internet for pinball service providers and there appear to be a few so at least I know maintenance is possible.

I did look at the new machines, but none of the themes appealed to us aside from Ghostbusters but Stern's pricing point was a major turn off.

I thought maybe it would make sense to put down some of the games I'm looking at rather than just vaguely comment on pinball as a whole

Simpsons Pinball Party - good family theme, everyone likes the Simpsons in the house
    No Good Gofers - I'm a golfer myself and so are many of the ppl we'll have over, like the nods to Caddyshack
    Champion Pub - fits the bar theme
    Creature from the Black Lagoon - love the theme, would fit in nicely but concerned about maint since it's older
    Whitewater - looks like fun and I did white water raft.. once.., also concerned about maint

Would any of these make good first time pinball machines for a technically challenged individual?

#8 7 years ago

If you are remodeling the basment go ahead and add more than a few deticaded cuircuts, you wont stop at just one machine if you have the room, an led'd game will draw about 2.5 to 3.5 amps being played. Asume for at least 10 machines. Just do it now while.the room is emptyish before you go nuts with collecting, it will happen....

#9 7 years ago

Welcome aboard.

I would look at the Ghostbusters Pro and/or Champion Pub or Cue Ball Wizard. The GB you can find at around $4900 NIB delivered and the other two would be half that if not less. I would be leery of the older games b/c of annual maintenance. If you don't want to service them yourself or no desire to do so, than I would look to the new game. JMO

#10 7 years ago

Find a local arcade and play everything to see what you like. Play it 1st to make sure you like it. I would also download "The Pinball Arcade" by Farsight Studios which has digital versions of many older tables and is still adding them. It's not same as the real thing but you can get a good idea of a game from it. When I was first looking it helped me rule out some and brought to my attention some I wouldn't have thought of.

#11 7 years ago

I know a couple people that seem to be your similar temperament for pinball and they both had Simpsons pinball party in a single game lineup and loved it. Should be able to find a really nice one for your budget.

Both said they needed little to no maintenance too.

#12 7 years ago

Also handy to look the game up on YouTube just to see it being played. Many times one can get a good feel from that if it will interest them or not

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from bpmdu:

I am actually located in Iowa so somewhat centrally located at least. I've searched the internet for pinball service providers and there appear to be a few so at least I know maintenance is possible.

There are a few techs on this forum that live in Iowa.

#14 7 years ago

I'm only a step or two ahead of you on my pinball journey. I only had room for 1-2 machines at best, so I really had to be choosy, which meant I had to love both the play and the theme. I started by getting game recs from my friends, and making an effort to try them all out. Settled on GBLE or Pre.

...but then

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

If you are remodeling the basment go ahead and add more than a few deticaded cuircuts, you wont stop at just one machine if you have the room, an led'd game will draw about 2.5 to 3.5 amps being played. Asume for at least 10 machines. Just do it now while.the room is emptyish before you go nuts with collecting, it will happen....

...instead of buying the machine I had picked out, my husband and I moved to a house where I can easily fit in 10+ machines no sweat! It's opened up a lot of options for me, lol. Once we sell our old house, I'm going to get my GBPre, but I'm also looking at a wide range of other machines too.

#15 7 years ago

A lot of pinball repair is basic mechanical ability. Are you the kind of person that calls a plumber to replace a kitchen faucet? Is changing a flat tire intimidating? Have you ever soldered wires together? Do you own basic mechanical tools? 1/4" drive socket set, wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, multimeter? A lot of it is basic, "this doesn't work", "oh, I see, that plastic thingy is broke" or, "that rubber ring is broken", "I need to take off all this stuff to get to it", or "this doesn't work", "oh, the wire broke off the coil. Break out the soldering gun". If you're not into basic mechanical repairs, you need to make sure there's someone in your area that does make house calls. Not all operators will work on other peoples games.

#16 7 years ago

Thanks again for all the replies!

Quoted from Starwriter:

A lot of pinball repair is basic mechanical ability. Are you the kind of person that calls a plumber to replace a kitchen faucet? Is changing a flat tire intimidating? Have you ever soldered wires together? Do you own basic mechanical tools? 1/4" drive socket set, wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, multimeter?

Of that list, I have and can change a flat tire. I do own some tools. I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to solder something.
    The two mechanics that appear to be in my area (near Cedar Rapids) don't look like they sell games and look to only be tech providers but I'll definitely look in to it.

Quoted from GPS:

Also handy to look the game up on YouTube just to see it being played. Many times one can get a good feel from that if it will interest them or not

I have definitely done this, it's a great idea. It allowed me to eliminate some games that had some features (like sound) that I didn't like.

Quoted from SmellTheGlove:

Find a local arcade and play everything to see what you like. Play it 1st to make sure you like it.

We'd definitely do this but the only place that appears to be local to me (I checked the pinball locator feature, nice feature btw) has older games. That's not bad, in and of itself, but I don't think I have the capabilities to keep an older game running.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from bpmdu:

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to solder something.

I didn't know how to change a light bulb when I started two years ago. Since then I have soldered pretty much everything under a playfield, rebuilt flippers, pop bumpers, and drop targets. I am very comfortable cleaning games and also diagnosing most of the common issues you will run into.

Just be willing to learn and there is countless materials out there. I used this site and you tube videos to learn everything I have to this point.

#18 7 years ago

One thing I would question. If you and your fam aren't much into pinball and you Mainly want a decor piece, why spend 4-5k? You could get something that fits the bill for far less.

As for waxing and clear coat. If the play field is in decent shape when you purchase you should never near to clear coat. And if you get a more modern game that is clear coat from the factory you don't *really* need to wax. You just need to keep it clean (wipe when any balls trails or black dust appears) and replace balls if they get dinged up. Especially if it won't be getting heavy use.

For purchasing - meet seller and pick up game in person when at all possible. Buy from a hobbyist rather than a random person on Craigslist or eBay.

Jack

#19 7 years ago

Buy a new in box Stern game.

Wax it as soon as you set it up. Then wax it every other month.

Put new balls in it; as soon as you set it up. Put new balls in it anytime you see a nick on one of them. Replace all the balls every year.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325 (remember, buy extra balls!)

Older games are great, and less money - but you never know how many crappy techs have done crappy repairs or hacked in strange components.

#20 7 years ago

I'm in the same boat that you are. Although I already picked my machine (MMR that I'm currently waiting on). Originally, I said that since we have techs here where I live, I'll just use them if I ever have issues. But that can get expensive very quickly if you don't know what you're doing, especially if it's something very minor. Your best bet is to just ask questions on the forum, watch YouTube videos, and follow the thread of whatever game you own. Many owners will be able to help you with the specifics.

Soldering looks scary as hell. I suggest you get a soldering iron and one of those little "kits" that can be purchased for under 10 dollars that allows you practice learning how to do it.

There's a book I've been reading:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It's a nice little guide to familiarize yourself with maintenance, but switches between electronic and EM machines continuously and feels like a textbook. If you're the type of person like myself, you'll only learn how to do something when you're actually forced to do it yourself.

#21 7 years ago

I agree with vid1900... look at Stern's current roster of Pro models...pick one... call up Cointaker, Tilt Amusements, GameExchange (colorado), Lanes and Games... for the best price shipped (which should land in the $4700-$4900) range and get a new in box game.

All pinball machines can be finicky...but if you aren't comfortable working on them, then the older machines might end up being a headache for you. Lots and lots can go wrong with them – no rhyme or reason. This isn't to say that something won't go wrong with a NIB machine, either. But, you're severely cutting down the chance of it happening.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-newbie-questions?hl=surfajl77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.