(Topic ID: 170334)

Some like it hot! The official 1964 Williams Heat Wave Club!

By EM-PINMAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1550.jpeg
DSCN8254 (resized).JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2540 (resized).JPG
DSC01430 (resized).JPG
IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
DSC01422 (resized).JPG
000-pins81 (resized).jpg
000-pins3 (resized).jpg
000-pins2 (resized).jpg
000-pins (resized).jpg
DSCN5002 (resized).JPG
DSCN5000 (resized).JPG
Angry Sun (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider em-pinman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This title is gaining a lot of popularity lately so its time has come to recognize this great game. Shay is currently making a reproduction backglass for it and Pinball Rescue has playfield plastics in the works to be made as well. I even talked to Wade Krauss about possibly doing a reproduction playfield down the road which sparked his interest.

This thread is for folks who want one, have one, or have had one and you can talk about anything relating to this game and hopefully post lots of pictures.

Living in Texas makes this theme a must IMO with its great artwork, mechanical backglass, and great gameplay/ruleset.

I currently own a project one that I intend to get a new Shay backglass for, luckily my playfield plastics and pop bumper caps are in great shape. The playfield itself is in great shape and I plan to clear it and have the cabinet repainted as well. Keep in mind that these pictures are how I bought the machine, so I have not cleaned the playfield yet or done anything to it for that matter.

OK, here we go, I'll start first........................

#4 7 years ago

Ha!

Didn't see that one.

Apparently it is a "very" popular title now.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Where do you see that Pinball Rescue is making plastics for it? It's a Williams game, and they have no plastics for sale for Williams games.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Playfield_Plastics_Schedule.html

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

What I could use is a new "Sun" drop target, I wonder if anyone's is in good enough shape to get the original artwork.

Interesting is that I have a different style target face on mine but it looks original. I wonder if the early and later production models had different target faces?

DSC00084 (resized).JPGDSC00084 (resized).JPG

#24 7 years ago

Just sent an email to see if Lee at Pinball Rescue would be interested in doing a Drop Target Decal for this title.

Stay tuned.

#25 7 years ago

Some like it hot!

What a great fun film!

Just had to throw this in here.

Some like it hot (resized).jpgSome like it hot (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Lee and Gordon at Pinball Rescue are Awesome as usual.

Here is a reply from my email I sent Lee regarding making the Heat Wave Decal for the Drop Target:

"Good to hear from you and I am sure we can do something there leave it
with me for a couple of weeks."

Problem Solved!

Thanks to DR_NYBBLE for the lead to the "sun" pictures I sent them as well.

As a side note the Heat Wave Plastics are still in the Que for reproduction.

It's all good in the hood.............

Ken

7 months later
#33 6 years ago

Just finished the restore on my Heat Wave Playfield tonight. Last thing I had to do was to install the 7 White Playfield Inserts. Just need to fire it up tomorrow and work out the mechanical gremlins as I have never turned it on since I bought it over a year ago and it has now been fully gone through. Pretty happy with how it turned out, not perfect, but super nice IMO. New Shay Backglass installed so all it really needs now is the Cabinet painted.

DSC01422 (resized).JPGDSC01422 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

Can anyone take a good picture/scan of your Heat Wave "replay/point adjustment jack/plug wire color chart" in the back of the Head? Mine is missing and need to create another one.

TIA.

Ken

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The other is a pretty head-on photo. Between the two I think you can make a good reproduction.

Thanks dr_nybble, that should work just fine with the pic. My Heat Wave will be 100% by tomorrow once i get the replay score card and jacks set. Just finishing up yet another repaint of the temperature tape as I needed the red line to extend another 1/4 inch.

Game plays very fast with just a regular rebuild of flippers and pop bumpers.

Ken

#38 6 years ago

I used RUST-OLEUM "Gloss Cherry" Item #248568 available at Home Depot. Almost a perfect match in color.

So was your tape destroyed?

The tape on mine is fine but the paint keeps wanting to crack off in places even though I sanded. cleaned, and primed. Thinking if it does not hold to use a cherry nylon ribbon tape like you would use to wrap a gift, would most likely work great and just glue it to the metal tape, no more paint cracking when the tape bends. Most likely it should be good for a while so I will consider it maybe next time if the paint cracks off.

Just created a new Replay Card tonight from Card Stock, easy peesy, and I changed the scores to my liking of difficulty 2600, 3200, 3800, and 4200. If that gets too easy i'll change them again.

Ken

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The other is a pretty head-on photo.

I'm a bit confused with the color of the wires verses the jacks. Is your Heat Wave this way? THe chart only lists blue, red, green, yellow, and brown wires, and mine has various coloration's. see pic

DSC01430 (resized).JPGDSC01430 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Bump for anyone who has a "replay/point adjustment jack/plug wire color chart" that matches the wiring colors in the picture on post #39 for Heat Wave.

The previous picture in post #35 is for a Five (5) wire "replay/point adjustment jack/plug wire color chart". I need the one for a six (6) wire as shown in post #39.

#43 6 years ago

Thanks again dr_nybble,

The full scan definitely helps. You look to have the same colored wires as me and that chart does not really clarify the plug wire colors at all. Not sure what Williams was thinking on this one but it is going to be a challenge to get the replay scores right, as you said, trial and error.

#44 6 years ago

Finally after some trial and error I figured out how to set the replay scores correctly that dr_nybble thankfully supplied. Williams did Not set this up intuitively. Williams should have just used the basic solid wire colors as they had done in previous years.

Just a note for folks trying to figure out how to set the plug jacks for the point score adjustment:

1) Only the end tail wires are the true colors to go by, so the last wire on the 2nd jack.

2) The end wires with the most (solid) color are the correct ones to go by, do not pay attention to the stripes on the wires as they mean absolutely nothing.

2 weeks later
#46 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Any update on this? I checked the site this morning and nothing listed.
Gary

Just sent Lee a reminder of this as I was not on top of this as I got out of the hospital over 10 weeks ago from open heart surgery, so I apologize for not being able to follow up on this in a timely matter. I'll let you guys know when hear back from Lee at Pinball Rescue about the Heat Wave Target Decal.

#47 6 years ago

Got word back from Lee today at Pinball Rescue, here is what he had to say;

"I will have a look into that tomorrow (Target Decal) as we have done a special run of plastics for
Heat Wave but due to low demand we have not screen printed them but high
digital direct printing and they will be available in the coming weeks"

I'll post again when I hear back from Lee.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider em-pinman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-like-it-hot-the-official-1964-williams-heat-wave-club?tu=em-pinman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.