(Topic ID: 119644)

some interest in bringing a machine to work

By sd_tom

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So, I know there have been threads about this but trying to get the latest ideas. They were looking for ways to put some fun in the office. I just half assed threw out the idea of me bringing in one of my machine(s). It is getting a bit of traction, wondering if I should help or pull back. Things going through my head:
    - liability.. I think this is what I've seen the most before. If it catches fire (unlikely) and burns the place down I def don't want to be personally responsible. And the flip side.. If the building burns down and takes my game with it.. Would company insurance take care of personal property like that. There is a lawyer on site so will chat him up to be sure.

- as I am the only pinhead.. Am I asking for lots of distractions at work with "hey the game is broke" / my machines have problems enough when I'm not playing them. The office is 30 people so not exactly high traffic but still.. More use than at home. Luckily this is an engineering company full of mechanical and electrical engineers.. I may be able to suck someone in to helping with maintenance.

- I will have to make sure my tilts are in working order as you never know who might be a rage player.

Any other things people might consider before doing this? Also, I need to make room for TBL anyway at home so having a machine at work is in the plus column.

#2 9 years ago

I tried it for a while a few years ago. Here are a few things that happened.

In our office it's fairly quiet. At lunch people would play but it could be heard through the whole office (flippers mostly and the chimes of the EM when I took that). Some people got annoyed (yeah I know).

Our office is downtown with public access on the elevators. It was in our lobby and just having the game visible made me worry a little. MM and CV were here.

The biggest issue I had were that some co-workers would bring friends in after hours and on the weekend to play. Not a huge deal but on several Monday mornings I would come into work with the game left on from sometime during the weekend. It could have been the cleaning crew, who knows. But that was the end of that.

#3 9 years ago

You may want consider what happens if one day you come to work and they rush you out the door because you got layed off or worse yet ..fired. You will have to figure out a way to get the machine. You may half to 'prove' it is your machine

As for the leaving it on possibility. I would get a timed on/off switch that plugs into an outlet to make sure it is off at night

Mike V

#4 9 years ago

We had arcade machines at my job that got destroyed by careless people. I'm not even talking like buttons not working or the joystick sticking (though that happen too) I'm talking bad cabinet/water damage, dirt all over even one of the monitors breaking beyond repair. This was all in a years time. It came up a few years later for me to bring in one of my pins. I pretty much just walked away laughing at my co-workers.

#5 9 years ago

Jeez. So no positive stories eh? . Would think could run a monthly tournament or something in office would be fun.. But prob not worth it.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Jeez. So no positive stories eh? . Would think could run a monthly tournament or something in office would be fun.. But prob not worth it.

I've been renting out machines to an office of similar size (20-30 people) for over 15 months now and it's been a very positive experience. (It's an office I used to work in).

Whenever threads come up that sound like "operating pins", people bring up every bad experience they ever had (plus a bunch of worst case "what-ifs") as if that's all that ever happens.

These people don't know your situation, but you do. If you have a good feeling about it, give it a try. You can just take it out if it isn't working. Also, since there are no other pinheads - I doubt people are going to nag you about problems. Other than stuck balls or non-working flippers, it's highly unlikely that they'll even notice anything is wrong.

#7 9 years ago

I have 2 pins at my shop set on free play for my customers to play and also for me to play when I have time. The customers love it and so do my employees.

#8 9 years ago

I worked in an office of about 200 with a very avid collector (He was one of the founders of California Extreme). He brought in both vids and pins on a random rotation. They got quite a bit of use by the employees at all hours. It was a software/hardware company so everyone was very pretty 'engineer' minded. A lot of the people started to even take interest in keeping the games maintained like cleaning playfields, putting wax on, windexing the glass and stuff like that. I got to know the owner quite well in the process and he had no issues with people using his games. He knew he could fix them if they broke and knew that these games were meant to be played. He would even setup an outdoor arcade in his driveway on Halloween so the neighbor kids could come and get candy and play.

Not sure what "arrangements" he had with management with regards to liability or anything like that but I think everyone liked them around and the owner of the games was pretty laid back. Then again, this was back in the .com boom days where offices were intentionally built like playgrounds as a means to attract talent.

#9 9 years ago

1. sell directly to the company.
    2. make company 100% responsible for it/them.
    3. offer recommendations on safety, power-off timer for nights & weekends (locked away from janitors).
    4. recommend a local maintenance person to be on a minimum monthly schedule for clean-up & repair.
    5. make room in your casa for new pins.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

I have all my pins at my office and freely let my employees play them. No problems at all.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

liability.. I think this is what I've seen the most before. If it catches fire (unlikely) and burns the place down I def don't want to be personally responsible. And the flip side.. If the building burns down and takes my game with it.. Would company insurance take care of personal property like that.

Your employer can probably arrange coverage for it, as long as the insurance company is aware of the ownership setup. Or have a contract where your employer buys the machine (would have to be at market price) with a clause that states either party can reverse the transaction at any time. Legally the game would be company property, but you can take it back any time you want.

Quoted from sd_tom:

this is an engineering company full of mechanical and electrical engineers.. I may be able to suck someone in to helping with maintenance.

Not a good idea if you're worried about liability.

Quoted from sd_tom:

Am I asking for lots of distractions at work with "hey the game is broke"

Are you going to charge people to play or is it going to be on free play? If free play, they're not really in a position to complain.

#12 9 years ago

good points everyone. I am still tempted to entertain it, since I do have some confidence my fellow employees are respectful people. But, I'm not going to lobby for it.. if the idea continues to get traction so be it.

Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Your employer can probably arrange coverage for it, as long as the insurance company is aware of the ownership setup. Or have a contract where your employer buys the machine (would have to be at market price) with a clause that states either party can reverse the transaction at any time. Legally the game would be company property, but you can take it back any time you want.

Yeah, I think I like the they buy it from me, but then I buy it back as that seems the most fool proof. However, the genesis for this is that it would be relatively inexpensive (free) for me to loan the game in. If they have to shell out $3-$4k then the equation doesn't make sense as much. If my EM was in better shape I could bring that in and basically not care what happens. However, I like bringing in IJ or NGG only cause it might sucker some people into the hobby.. I don't see that happening with an EM.

Not a good idea if you're worried about liability.

Good point.

Are you going to charge people to play or is it going to be on free play? If free play, they're not really in a position to complain.

I had assumed free play. However, the company is also looking for fund raising opportunities to better fund the fun budget (company allocates $100 a person / annually.. but looking for sumplementary sources to do more stuff / more often. So the fact it could collect peoples spare change.. might actually be a plus.

#13 9 years ago

I have a couple pins at my office also. There are only 5 of us but they do get a fair amount of play. I like the idea of dialing a game in at the office because they'll get more play than if at home. Once I have a game playing the way I want it..i'll bring the next one in.

Seems to be working out very well so far

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-interest-in-bringing-a-machine-to-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.