(Topic ID: 170521)

Some in-line back box sockets do not have voltage, but others do...

By KillerQ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KillerQ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161007_194300 (resized).jpg
1475807568-picsay.jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I have all new bulbs in the back box of my Big Hurt machine... As you can see, some of them don't light (ignore the larger flashers at the top, they work fine, they were just off at the moment).

The workouts ones are pulling abkut 5.8V AC.... The random ones that are not lighting do NOT show any voltage. I tested the body of the socket against the center pin to test all these voltages.

This is strange to me since they are all in line with each other, pulling voltage from the same source. So, I take it that 'dirty' sockets aren't the issue here, and it has something to do with contact points....

Is this a case where the solder joints that connect the power wires to these specific sockets is bad, since the power, obviously, flows past the socket and feeds the others properly?

Always learning,

Matt!

1475807568-picsay.jpg1475807568-picsay.jpg

#2 7 years ago

I'd reflow the connection on the right on your lower pic...it looks like a lot of flux there and - although I can't see it well - maybe balled up solder and not making a great connection. Look at the connection on the left - see how the solder has flowed across the metal and unified with it? that's how the right should look as well. Electrical-wise, if it is not that solder connection causing the fault it would have to be a problem with the socket itself.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks... I'll check that out. All the joints look factory, but that didn't mean much after 30 years, I suppose!

#4 7 years ago

Test the continuity on both positive & negative. That will tell you where your break is.

#5 7 years ago

OK... There was continuity, but I'll check around the solder site.

#6 7 years ago

try takin the bulb out. and test voltage from the return side in the back, to the center conductor through the front of the socket.
Then, from the hot side, "center wire", in the back, to the round part of the socket from the front.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

OK... There was continuity, but I'll check around the solder site.

Game unplugged for this!
You have to envision yourself as the non-working bulb. One lead clips on the common positive, the other pokes the socket. Note any that fail and reflow them. Then do the same for the ground.

If both + and - have continuity to the common feed and the socket isn't getting any voltage... I don't think that's possible.

If you're not sure of your test methods, test some working sockets and compare to the non-working, that might help sort it out.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks guys.... I'll try all this tonight!

#9 7 years ago

**fixed**

OK, so..... I examined the solder blobs on the bad sockets a bit more closely. It turns out that they were free floating - touching enough to show continuity, but not close enough, apparently, to flow the 6V through....

As a temporary fix, I unscrewed the bracket a little, slide the solder blob beneath, and screwed back down so that the screw bit into the solder. I attached a pic.

This worked perfectly for every socket!

Thanks again!!!

IMG_20161007_194300 (resized).jpgIMG_20161007_194300 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-in-line-back-box-sockets-do-not-have-voltage-but-others-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.