Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dasvis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D6751D33-A91C-446B-833B-A3D0C492805C (resized).JPG
20170530_192745 (resized).jpg
3E21A03F-EFD2-43EC-8B18-5126F543DEDA (resized).JPG
image-49 (resized).jpg
oplayfield_issue (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Well I ordered a new stern POTC PF - NEW Not a factory blem - and look what I got lol. The screen print is way off, and its most noticeable on the shooter lane where the black pinstripe on the left portion does not exist.

SO frustrating, and these things are not cheap. I mean id be ok with this if it was a factory blem and priced accordingly... but trying to sell as new!?, what a joke. Thats like selling a car as new, even though the paint had orange peel, and bubbles in it. cmon

oplayfield_issue (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Did Stern claim that was not a factory blemish or the seller?

#3 3 years ago

hougie Yup from http://www.bayareaamusements.com/ called them 3 times to ensure they where NEW. The lady on the phone says, "you can pay us 50.00 to send you pictures of a few so you can choose, or you just get what we send you" lol... really sounds like a yard sale to me, quality amazes me these days..

#4 3 years ago

Steve Young (Pinball Resource) still has some NOS ones on his website but he says most "have issues" and invites you to call him to discuss.

#5 3 years ago

I have to say I'm very impressed with the customer service at bay are pinball.com they have been great and to my surprise extremely punctual, which is much appreciated as I can't do much at this point u till I get the playfield. I paid 50 for what the call playfield assurance, and they then pick the best one out of what they have ( this whole process seems odd to me but whatever ) and send it out to me. Got pics and looks great, so new one on the way

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I have to say I'm very impressed with the customer service at bay are pinball.com they have been great and to my surprise extremely punctual, which is much appreciated as I can't do much at this point u till I get the playfield. I paid 50 for what the call playfield assurance, and they then pick the best one out of what they have ( this whole process seems odd to me but whatever ) and send it out to me. Got pics and looks great, so new one on the way

They ask for $50 for that!?

#7 3 years ago

What does the rest look like?

#8 3 years ago

rdoyle1978 ya? Here is my take... I think they have factory blems, and are selling then as "new now playfields" so what u end up with is really the luck of the draw, unless you pay addition 50... check this http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-POTC830-5100-92

#9 3 years ago

jahbarron there where some other minor imperfections in the screen print, few wrinkles... which honestly I would have cared less about, it was the shooter lane that I just couldn't live with

#10 3 years ago

The clear on this one does not seem super thick either.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

The clear on this one does not seem super thick either.

No it was not at all, i could feel the wood in hthe ball groove, not good at all

#12 3 years ago

You can see the registration mark right there and it looks pretty bang on to me. So it's more like the playfield doesn't match the design exactly. Do you have your original playfield to compare?

#13 3 years ago

jwilson I do, and amazingly looks like mine came similarly from the factory, just Sterns lack of quality i believe.

#14 3 years ago

No big deal.

It's like that on most of those playfields.

(although it looks crappy, this is a NOS playfield)

image-49 (resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago

Are you planning on doing the swap? You're going to either have a lot of time or money into your POTC. Why not just enjoy it?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Are you planning on doing the swap? You're going to either have a lot of time or money into your POTC. Why not just enjoy it?

Or time AND money. But there is nothing like doing the restoration yourself and playing a better than new game.

#17 3 years ago

My now sold game. Immaculate all around, and yet...

3E21A03F-EFD2-43EC-8B18-5126F543DEDA (resized).JPG

#19 3 years ago

It would be easy to fix the keylines before clearcoating the playfield.

Also, this is a good time to light the playfield up from below, and fix any light leakage around the inserts - then clearcoat.

#20 3 years ago

This is from mine that I just sold this week.looks about perfect to me.

20170530_192745 (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

Probably just a fuse.

#22 3 years ago

Or a loose screw.

#23 3 years ago

Part I:
Enthusiasts may not be aware that Stern did not start applying thicker automotive clear coats until well after 2010. That was not a "standard" practice in the industry EVER before modern Sterns less than 5 year ago which was REQUESTED by private owners who wanted "shinier" playfields without understand the material thickness pitfalls.

Part II:
The offset playfield shooter groove shown in not a demonstration of a "factory reject" and falls within the tolerances of manufacturer playfield construction. A collector might not like it, but an operator will not care.

Part III:
Current pinball manufacturing playfield standards remain predominantly unchanged since the 1950s. Primary playfield equipment processes remain unchanged since the 1940s.

People are forgetting the nature of the industry in 2006 (the playfields themselves might have been built even earlier in 2005 in preparation for the production run), or were not even interested in pinball at that point in time.

This is another example of why it is important to understand pinball manufacturing history, so interested parties know what they are looking at overall and what to expect, rather than applying current collector mindsets to every single machine. We already have some new owners believing that HER machines (or HEP as described from the 80s and 90s) are the way games looked from the factory. This is a nice thought, but untrue.

There is nothing wrong with asking a pinball parts supplier for a photo of a playfield, backglass, game specific parts, or cabinet for personal inspection before purchase, except in conditions were said part is a new production still in its shipping box or container, as there are some warranty "rules" regarding breaking seals on backglasses and some playfields.
I do this frequently even with NOS parts especially if they were made in the 1990s.
I most certainly always do it with used backglasses.

#24 3 years ago

Also toasterdog I would have just enjoyed it... but as soon as i got it home two bumpers literally broke, the ball release for the ship hit was getting stuck, and the chest was not functioning correctly, so the further I dug the more i found, and I needed a project anyhow, I enjoy this stuff.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There is nothing wrong with asking a pinball parts supplier for a photo of a playfield, backglass, game specific parts, or cabinet for personal inspection before purchase, except in conditions

...where they want $50 to do so!!!!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

...where they want $50 to do so!!!!

Whether it is agreed or not an acceptable practice to charge money for a parts inspection is not my decision.
Inspection costs do happen in other industries for the time and effort.
I don't agree with the practice, as I would do it out of courtesy for the hobby, but I am not "Mr. Personality" either.
A person can simply go to another source of parts or use some workarounds, unless they are desperate or a part is unobtainium.

#28 3 years ago

Enthusiasts may not be aware that Stern did not start applying thicker automotive clear coats until well after 2010. That was not a "standard" practice in the industry EVER before modern Sterns less than 5 year ago.

I miss how those games played, to be honest. Thicker clear looks nice, but I miss the feel of the ball biting better. Everything is a bit floaty now.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I miss how those games played, to be honest. Thicker clear looks nice, but I miss the feel of the ball biting better. Everything is a bit floaty now.

You can de-polish the playfield with compound.

When I restore EM playfields, they look like glass.

Then I knock that shine down in the final buffing.

So you have the great protection of 2PAC, but the look and feel of a conventional EM playfield.

#30 3 years ago

Close up of my LOTR before restoration. As I was looking at the inserts and noticed the very approximate touch ups I thought the previous owner had covered some wear with a sharpie. But no, it's factory.

D6751D33-A91C-446B-833B-A3D0C492805C (resized).JPG

#31 3 years ago

the good ol days, when playfields didn't have artwork in the shooter lane, I miss woodgrain shooter lanes.....

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

the good ol days, when playfields didn't have artwork in the shooter lane, I miss woodgrain shooter lanes.....

100% agree, and im a newb lol, let the wood shine

#33 3 years ago

, but I am not "Mr. Personality" either.

Don't sell yourself short.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 26.50
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside