• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hi All,

For my first pinball purchase I decided to go for a CFTBL which, other than a couple of bulbs needing replacement, seemed to work fine (I never really played that many CFTBLs prior to buying this one so I didn't have a full picture of gameplay).

Recently I discovered the centre lane entry gate switch wasn't triggering consistently as I was rarely registering centre lane shots so I replaced it and via the single switch test it worked consistently. Even so, centre lane shots still weren't registering. After continually testing the centre lane exit switch it seemed that it wouldn't trigger 100% either so tonight I replaced that as well. The bad news is that it still didn't fix the original problem.

With a ball in play I blocked the outlane and proceeded to move the ball around the playfield by hand and then realized that some switches (such as the centre lane entry switch and right ramp entry switch) would cause the flippers to briefly flip. I could repeat this a second time but not a third time and from then on the centre lane shot would then register fine. After a period of time where I would hit bumpers or trigger a popper, centre lane shots stopped registering again...strange!

A previous owner had modded this Creature to light up the pop bumpers so I thought that maybe there was too much power being used. I disconnected those lights (they were wired to a bulb on the General Illumination (GI) 3 line) but even then the problem persisted.

So my problem is that I have no idea what's causing this and where to look next. I'm dreading that the next step is to get a repairer to take a look but run the risk of paying hundreds for no solution as I have a feeling that something like this isn't that common and easy to fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Vas

#2 12 years ago

First thing i would try determine if the problem is a switch, a column or row of switches or opto .

Run a switch test , follow the link below that will guide you and report back with your findings .

It will more than likely be an easy fix once we find the problem , a little problem can send the machine into all types of crazyness .

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101-switch_matrix.html

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=588

Also grab the Creature FTBL Manual and print out page 133 this has all the switch chart

#3 12 years ago

Hey There Vas

How did you get on ?

#4 12 years ago

It is probably an alignment issue. If it registers in test mode, then the ball isn't pushing the switch hard enough. Try bending the switch a little to make it a little higher. Be careful not to break it.

#5 12 years ago

Hi All,

OK, I've had a look at the links provided and printed out the switch matrix then in test mode I went through all of them one at a time and each switch lined up to the appropriate item in the matrix (I compared the printout with the display that shows when a switch is closed and they were the same). The only thing I noticed is that the two slam tilt switches (one on the back of the coin door and the other at the base of the cabinet) came up as the same item in the switch matrix (21) which I'm guessing is normal.

So, in test mode everything works normally but when a game is in play that's when the craziness starts. I just finished testing the behavior and fed the ball through the centre lane shot 3 times, the first two times the centre entry switch (18) would trigger and the flippers gave a brief flip and the centre lane exit switch (63) wouldn't register. The third time the centre entry switch activated and the flippers did nothing (as they should) and the centre lane exit switch then registered the ball passing through.

The same test on other occasions would result in one of the pop bumpers firing when the centre lane entry switch was hit. On other occasions I have seen other switches, such as the right ramp exit switch (61) fire the flippers.

To make matters more confusing, the last game I played triggered the slam tilt switch and the machine was definitely not being moved...the ball was just moving slowly around the playfield..this the second time I've seen this happen.

It's as if the problem moves around the playfield. The theory that the switch matrix was getting confused makes sense as it looks like a switch is performing a different action to what it should be but it isn't showing up in the test mode.

I had to pick up a fuse today from Pinball spareparts as I blew the General Illumination 3 fuse in my attempt to disconnect the pop bumper lights and took the opportunity to ask if they had heard of this before and based on my brief description of the behavior they suggested that it may be battery acid damage on the CPU board. I removed the batteries and took a look at the battery holder and couldn't see any damage around the batteries. I didn't check behind the CPU board though. The LED lights on the CPU board appear to be showing normal operation based on what the manual says.

So, I'm still stuck and am happy for more suggestions before I resign myself to having pay to have someone take a look at it.

Thanks

Vas

#6 12 years ago

What software version are you running?

#7 12 years ago

9 times out of 10 problems like you're describing are of a physical nature .

Switch 18 is a micro switch
Switch 63 is Lane/rollover micro-switch

Did you put a diode across the left and right legs ( band should be facing back of the switch from memory )

I would go over the switch you installed maybe there's a bad diode or its crushed touching something .

Try reseating J208 and J206

Have a good look at the boards

Keep at it Vas , we will find the prob soon

Cheers

Criss

#8 12 years ago

Hi Guys,

Thanks for persisting

Donjagra, the following versions come up in test mode :

The Creature
20018 Rev L-4

Sound Rev L-1
Sy. 2.52 2-15-93

Criss, I looked at J208 and J206 and they are both empty (not connected). The connectors are on J207 (lots of green wires) and J209 (lots of white wires) instead...could this be the problem? I didn't want to change them back to J206 and J208 until someone with more knowledge than me advised it but based on what the switch matrix diagram says it certainly would suggest they should be on J206 and J208.

I'm guessing that the CPU board is used on several games and J207 and J209 are used on those and not others...so, should I change them over? I hope it's something this simple (fingers crossed)

Thanks

Vas

#9 12 years ago

Hi Vas

Leave the connectors as is , must be game specific . I think the schematics are also ? ( see if you can find them on the net )

So you have inspected each actual switch to look for a short
to GI/flashers/etc ?

Measure the voltage across each switch and compare
them. Is one or more higher then it should be . You may have an occasional short from flash lamp or coil wire over to one of the switch lines. Maybe even a wire that's rubbed on a
switch and finally worked through the insulation . Could be a broken wire inside the
insulation. May have to put in a temporary ground wire and verifiy the switch
works

Also look around anything that moves on a regular basis . Unplug those connectors under the playfield and see if the game runs ok . If its ok then the prob is in the area you unplugged .

Extra look around the pop bumpers you removed the lights from

Worst case i think you need to pull out the MPU board and look . Maybe when you blew that fuse you may have shorted to the switch matrix and taken out A ULN2803 , LM339 on the MPU board . ( Not a huge deal ) It sound hard but really is'nt Vas

Keep at it mate you 'll fix it

Criss

#10 12 years ago

Your software is newer than mine, I am only running L3. I suspect an alignment issue or a short even more.

#11 12 years ago

Hi Vas

I think i have your answer go to the ( Opto Board ) section of pinwike ( 1/3 down the page )

The biggest problem for these boards is switch matrix shorts. If any of the power lines hits the switch matrix, it can easily destroy the LM339 and possibly its output diode. This issue will manifest as a ground short on one or more rows. It can be tested by removing the switch matrix connector. If the problem goes away, the associated LM339 and possibly its diode need to be replaced.

If the short was from the 70V supply, multiple LM339s will be damaged.

This would be worth looking at as its a switch matrix prob . If this is the cause you can purchase the parts from jaycar , nab some sockets and socket the LM336s

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC-S_CPU

Cheers mate

Criss

#12 12 years ago

Thanks Criss,

Focussing on the switch matrix I found an extract of a manual called "Pinball machines: how they work & troubleshooting By Norbert Snicer" that had a clear write up on checking the switch matrix by unplugging the connectors and then testing the pins, which I did, and...everything worked fine...which I guess isn't too bad as it means the CPU board seemed to be fine.

My next thought was either the direct switches (such as the coin door) and also in the area that you mention, the Opto/fliptronic board...I was planning to disconnect them and run some tests to see if things worked whilst they were disconnected. Unfortunately the whole family decided to pay me a visit in the garage so I was distracted and did the next best thing and worked through all of the connectors to make sure everything was seated correctly...I've got to say there were a handful all over the place (including the Opto board) that were not seated firmly. After pressing them all down and running some tests I (knock on wood) have not seen the symptoms that I had been seeing (or maybe the power of positive thinking is not letting me see the symptoms . Hopefully this means it was a loose connector (I'd love that to be the case) so I'll monitor it over the next week and see how it goes. Failing that I'll run the next set of tests suggested.

I really appreciate your and Donjagra's help.

If anyone else is interested here is the preview link to the above mentioned manual (hopefully it won't be chopped when I post this). I think the pages it lets you preview change each time but it's page 34 that had the switch matrix diagnostic info.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=SjpDdjhWr1UC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=Pinball+machines:+how+they+work+%26+troubleshooting+By+Norbert+Snicer&source=bl&ots=my7WwbO9sn&sig=f9g5rJXgSCpEsy5rakiLMuSFWaY&hl=en&ei=zzyMTr6pLI2aiAfBmNDUAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

#13 12 years ago

Great to see you've fixed the trouble Vas

That link is quite good also .

Hope your haveing a ball playing your CFTBL , its a great machine

Cheers mate

Criss

#14 12 years ago

Hey Criss,

I spoke too soon...the problem is still with me...very frustrating!

I went back to my diagnostics but before looking at my Opto board (it's a Fliptronic II) I wanted to eliminate the coin door as a potential issue...the reason being that the door connectors have been patched in a backyard sort of way. I disconnected the door switches after starting a game and moved the ball around but the problem was still there. I then re-checked the custom pop bumper lights and thought the socket terminal of one of the lights was touching the pop bumper housing so I isolated it with a piece of paper but the problem was still there.

Moving back into the headbox I re-checked every board connector and re-positioned some of the wire harnesses after which time the problem seemed to get worse (maybe it was my imagination but I was annoyed at myself thinking it had been working 90% of the time and now only works 50% of the time).

The last check was to disconnect the data cable between the CPU board and the Fliptronic board (the 3 connector data cable was still connected to the audio board). When I did this I couldn't reproduce the problem anymore. Obviously the flippers didn't move at all with the data cable disconnected so I can't be sure the problem is related to the Fliptronic board or the jarring movement of the flippers (I'm assuming the data cable I disconnected was the switch matrix connector you mentioned).

So, has my test actually proven your theory that the Opto board is to blame? Or do I have to test it some other way than pulling the grey data cable?

Thanks

Vas

1 month later
#15 12 years ago

Hey Vas

just seen your post , i thought you had the issue worked out .

Did you manage to get a fix worked out . If not what have you tryed and what symptoms are there still .

Cheers mate
Criss

#16 12 years ago

It could be wires placed backwards on a switch or switches and could
also be a bad diode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 24.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-funky-switch-behavior-on-my-creature-from-the-black-lagoon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.