You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC01904.jpg
DSC03312.jpg
DSC03322.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Williams 1980 Firepower has always been my 'grail' machine. This is mostly due to the nostalgic factor, as it was the game I played the most back in the arcade days. However, as I've learned to appreciate more about the history of pinball, I've also developed a new respect for Firepower and some of the innovations it had that are now considered standard on all machines.

1) Firepower was the first game to feature Lane Change.
2) The first solid state game with multiball.
3) The first game with animated displays.

I added Firepower to my colletion a few years ago. Last year I swaped in a new CPR playfield. I also took that opportunity to rebuild the pops and other mechanics, and OMG - it plays FAST! I don't want to make another thread about rankings (we've got enough of those already), but I am surprised that Firepower is not in the top 100.

Anyone else love Firepower as much as me?

DSC03322.jpgDSC03322.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That pf looks real sleak. My father had Firepower II growing up in high school. I sure do miss that machine. I'd love to buy it again and surprise him.

#3 10 years ago

Nice game. Thanks for sharing the picture and story. Definitely a nostalgic factor for me too that bumps it up to being a game I'd like to find some day.

#4 10 years ago

Here's a couple more pics. The second one was taken before the CPR playfield was installed (regular inserts vs starred).

If you're interested, I have a TON more pictures on my website:

http://www.bradberryman.com/PINBALL_Firepower_2011.htm <-- When I first got it
http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Firepower_playfield_swap.htm <-- playfield swap

DSC03312.jpgDSC03312.jpg DSC01904.jpgDSC01904.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Man that can be a fast one for sure. Those targets in front are scary!

#6 10 years ago

I love my Firepower, I bought the CPR repo playfield also, but have not installed it yet. I got my machine back in college, it sits next to my first pin ever, a Flash.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

it sits next to my first pin ever, a Flash

Flash was my first pin too! ...I regret selling it. Damn, I need more space.

#8 10 years ago

I recently bought FP and a CPR playfield to go with it. I'll be starting the swap here in a couple of weeks... My 1st swap... Did you have any issues with your swap that I should know about before I start SunKing???

-Steve Ridge
Louisville, KY

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Damn, I need more space.

+1. That is the truth!

#10 10 years ago

Love my FP too! A great classic. Wish I had a playfield that looked that nice though. I bet it's wicked-fast!

Mike.

#11 10 years ago

I just bought my FP two weeks ago, my first pin. Disassembling and cleaning it right now, as there was a lot of corrosion under the playfield. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to swap in a replacement CPR playfield; mine's not so bad, just needs a little paint touchup, but most inserts are either cupped or raised and would need replacing. On the other hand, the CPR playfield looks cherry but I've heard things about popped inserts and dimpling due to use of soft wood. Decisions!

#12 10 years ago

Best pin ever! I.would love a CPR playfield, but they are as much as the game. Yours looks great.

#13 10 years ago

I just sold a Firepower. Shoved many a quarter into that machine when I was a kid!

The Firepower I bought from a friend who had me fix it. He damn near busted a nut helping me get
it down the basement! After fixing it and shopping it out I had to have it! Then my wife has a stroke
in Mexico. Needed a ton of cash to get her back, had to sell it! Then find out BCBS will refund me the cash! I know my wife did this just to slow down the pin buying!

Enjoy the Fire!

Milt

#14 10 years ago

Yes I do.

I owned 2 Fire Powers, unfortunately I sold both because I wanted another dot matrix pinball. However in the future I might buy one again after reading some treats in the forum!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-firepower-love and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.