Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lahey_1 (resized).JPG
    Happy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Because they beef up all the pro machines now and in the future.

Putting back what you took away before isn't worthy of praise.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man you are a tough guy to please. In a "pinball is hard" world, Stern is the only one not drowning in a sea of beef. You know first-hand how hard it is to make ANYTHING in pinball - remember your beefy adventures with Shadow plastics back in the day? - yet Stern makes it look EASY.

You mean the one where I made the first fully-complete plastics set ever that included all the plastics in the machine from all assemblies and sold them as one set for a price less than one in-demand plastic was going for? Yeah, that wasn't super-easy, but I got it DONE and it also taught me enough to know firsthand that Stern's BoM is way less than anyone outside dreams. Then when there was a crackling problem with the inks (same problem CGC had on AfMr recently, BTW - guess they didn't learn from me 15 years ago) I replaced them all out of my pocket and STILL squeaked out a tiny profit.

So no, Stern will not get a "BOOM" or even a "boom" for putting back something they ALREADY DESIGNED, IMPLEMENTED, AND STRIPPED OUT OF THE MACHINES YEARS AGO, then cost reduced the crap out of the cabinets, playfield, electronics and mechanisms and STILL raised the prices - again. I have enough experience with overseas manufacture and sourcing to know that they're playing the community for chumps and the price increases have more to do with profit than costs.

If they have a good machine, I'll still recommend it for the route, and I'll still keep them in top shape, but don't act like Stern is doing ANY of us a favor. They're in it to squeeze as much out of the market as possible before the next crash, just like everyone else. They're just more nakedly taking advantage of the market.

1 week later
    #82 5 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Woz was 6,500 preorder, with years they took to get machines to people, all while blowing smoke about timelines, lying again and again. When I decided to try to get a refund from Jack after 2++ years of waiting, he told me to go sell my spot.
    Talk about shit sammy.
    And as for quality, if you got that low price on wiz, you now need 2.0 light boards, with a couple days of labor, and about another K in price now?
    Not a good comparison IMO, not to mention comparing 2013 price to 2019.

It's pretty much just one long day of labor (12 hours or so) to swap over to the WoZ 2.0 kit, and that's only because it takes longer doing it for the first time. I could do it again in probably half that time now that I've done it once. At least Jack offered a 2.0 upgrade kit! He didn't HAVE to do that, and once you see all the crap in the box, you'll wonder why he did. A lot of the stuff in the kit is clearly hand assembled.

Another thing those initial WoZ ECLE got was direct printed cabinets, and they are fantastic. I wish Jack would offer them again on the high end of JJP machines, but they probably cost a fortune.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-extra-love-for-stern-now?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.