photo_3_3.jpg
roundover.jpg
CornerWear.jpg
photo_2_4.jpg
photo_2_3.jpg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
IMG_4867.JPG
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

What an interesting place to store drop targets, I wonder what else she keeps in there.

She makes them in her own little foundry .

#152 9 years ago

My Shrek needs 4 of these
...oops! 5. Forgot about that single drop!

#153 9 years ago

thems dope

#154 9 years ago

Send me PM's if you want to get on the target list. Doesn't mean you have to buy anything, just that I will get in touch with you before I post them for sale.

PM with:

Game Name
Manufacturer
# of targets in the machine
An email address if you want to be on the email list.

We are for sure going to make targets for the following machines (assuming there isn't some issue that would prevent me from doing so)
Black Knight 2000
Metallica
AC/DC
WOZ

I have orders for other titles, and I'll add those to the list once we make the first set for that game and they are installed in a machine and we know there aren't any issues.

Back to work. I hope to have something to show you by tomorrow night if everything goes well. It won't be a final version, but it will (hopefully) give everyone an idea of what the finish and colors will look like.

#155 9 years ago

Thanks!

I ended up having some equipment issues and had to get some parts for my air compressor so I didn't get to applying any finishes yet, hopefully tonight, if not, my next free night is Wednesday. Sorry again for the delay in getting you all some pics, should be soon, I'm planning for later tonight.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Cleaned up my rushed logo from earlier, was bugging me. Better now.

jaw-drops.jpg 62 KB

That's really awesome, can I use it for my avatar pic?

Edit: We need to hide some panites in there somewhere.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

That's really awesome, can I use it for my Avatar pic?
Edit: We need to hide some panites in there somewhere.

Totally welcome to use it for your avatar pic.

#158 9 years ago

Ok, Here's a little something to tide everyone over.

Please Be Aware,

This is my first test and is in no way representative of the final product, there will be more pics to come, but I wanted to show you all some progress. The oven I'm using is old and the thermostat has a huge "dead zone" so the temperature was fluctuating quite a bit ~40 degrees. I'm buying a new oven today and plan to do some more testing towards the end of the week/weekend.

The target in the pics is an old version and is not the current design. This is only a test

If this works out well, there is alot of colors and effects we can do, pearls, chameleon, metal flake, textures etc. I'm also thinking I should be able to tint the clear, but I'll need to do more tests to be sure. Color matching will not really be possible but there should be plenty of colors/options to find something that looks good.

As always, your suggestions/feedback is encouraged just remember that this is not what the final will look like.

photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

#159 9 years ago

I think that looks sweet. I'm worried about it holding up with a ball beating it though.

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think that looks sweet. I'm worried about it holding up with a ball beating it though.

That's what all this testing is for

It should hold up better than the naked aluminum and that held up pretty well, but not great. This is basically encasing the target in high impact plastic.

I need to get the process down before I coat my current prototypes but once they are done I'll be able to test. This one will be going into the machine as a secondary test along with the next few that I do in the 2nd bank of targets. I really need to get my hands on another target bank so I can build a test rig that will beat the target 24/7.

Up next is clear, then green, then candy black The Stern compatible target is the next prototype, can't wait...

#161 9 years ago

Lookin good!!!

#162 9 years ago

I would be more than happy to test these in my BK2K

I will have 3 weeks where I am home and with nothign to do, I can give them extensive "testing"

Chris

#163 9 years ago

Hi!

Just got new oven today. Going to do some more testing over the weekend, I want to try the clear next but after that what color would you like to see?

Translucent Black
*new* translucent shimmer green, I think it's the other green with metal flake.
Translucent Red
Translucent Blue
Translucent Green
Translucent Orange
Translucent Purple
Translucent Clear

#164 9 years ago

I want black or orange for Dredd

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I want black or orange for Dredd

If he does dredo he will need a roll over target for the center one.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

If he does dredo he will need a roll over target for the center one.

I shipped him one of each for templates

#168 9 years ago

Emerald green w metal flakes...to match a certain castle door......

#169 9 years ago

I think the coating could cause problems on the mechanical part of the target. Looks great though! Awesome Idea, I'd definitely be down for some Data East. I have a loose one if you need it.

#170 9 years ago

The coating is plastic, similar to a stock target. It will actually help this style of target and eliminate metal on metal contact. Note that this is the first prototype and I'm using it for testing the coating process. The final targets may only be coated on the top half as the bottom half has been redesigned.

I do have a Data East sample, thank you for offering it up though.

I should have some free time over the holiday to make some progress. I can't wait to try some of these colors.

#171 9 years ago

Clear Test. image-610.jpgimage-610.jpgSide by side with naked Aluminum image-397.jpgimage-397.jpg

#172 9 years ago

So, what do you think about the clear? How does it look to you guys? I think we may do the engraving on the clear targets first, and the others will be engraved through the coating.

#173 9 years ago

I think it looks awesome. If you weren't also going to do black I would take a set right now.

#174 9 years ago

Thanks Cheddar. I'm going to try some color samples this weekend, I'll try to do the black so we can see what it looks like.

2 weeks later
#175 9 years ago

Good news,

I just got word that the rollover prototype is ready for pickup, I'll post some pics once I get it. Things are still moving forward, just a little slower due to the holiday's.

Merry Xmas!

2 weeks later
#176 9 years ago

Sorry for the lack of updates. We have already made a few changes to this design but this should give you an idea of what the rollover will look like. This one has the machine finish and hasn't been polished yet.

rollover2.jpgrollover2.jpg Rollover1.jpgRollover1.jpg
#177 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Sorry for the lack of updates. We have already made a few changes to this design but this should give you an idea of what the rollover will look like. This one has the machine finish and hasn't been polished yet.

Oh how these will look great in any Williams 1979-1985 machine with an emphasis on stainless steel: (coin door, rails, lockdown bar, legs, backglass channel, ramps, etc...)

Black Knight would look exceptionally great with these.

-mof

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Oh how these will look great in any Williams 1979-1985 machine with an emphasis on stainless steel: (coin door, rails, lockdown bar, legs, backglass channel, ramps, etc...)
Black Knight would look exceptionally great with these.
-mof

Yes,
I would love some anodized green drops for my Jungle Lord. Even without any graphic on it, blank would look slick.

#179 9 years ago

yes please on a rollover drop..... put me on the list

#180 9 years ago

I've been out of town for work, once I get back I need to get my BK2K back together (2/3rds of the way through a flipper upgrade, more power=faster testing). Should make some more progress in the next couple weeks. As usual I'll post as I go.

1 month later
#182 9 years ago

Update!

Still workin on em'
Got a new position at work that has me traveling and a bit more busy.

These targets are redesigned from the previous version, some changes were made for durability. I will be putting them into the machine soon for testing. When I pull the old ones out, I'll show you guys some of the problems we have run into along the way, for those that are curious.

I tried the translucent black this time. It's pretty cool, the pictures don't reflect what it looks like in person. They look like smoked chrome, they should look really cool in the machine. I had some blemishes in a couple of the faces, but that won't matter for the durability testing.

This last set might be the make or break test. If the changes we made don't solve the problem, it may not be possible to make them out of aluminum. We'll see I guess.

That one picture is a reflection of a tree out my window.

IMG_4867.JPGIMG_4867.JPG IMG_4864.JPGIMG_4864.JPG IMG_4859.JPGIMG_4859.JPG
#183 9 years ago

These are so awesome! Will you eventually make these for classic Bally/Stern too? Would love to have drop targets that don't brick.

#184 9 years ago

*Off topic*

ProVari hey? Very nice!

I have a Vaporshark rDNA-40 and just love it.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

These are so awesome! Will you eventually make these for classic Bally/Stern too? Would love to have drop targets that don't brick.

I've had some nice Pinsider's send me some of the older Bally/Stern/DE targets as well as the older Williams targets. They are on the list to make once these and the modern Stern's (both blade and rollover type) are ready. The form factor for those older targets are so different than the modern ones that we will basically be starting from scratch with them. It will all depend on how the durability testing goes.

As for your targets that brick, make sure you aren't using a big fat rubber behind them. sometimes going with a slightly smaller size and stretching it may help. Also, make sure your springs aren't stretched out, old or worn. Sometimes taking a turn or two off will get them to pull down a bit faster so they can't bounce back and catch the edge.

Quoted from Triumvirat73:

*Off topic*
ProVari hey? Very nice!
I have a Vaporshark rDNA-40 and just love it.

LOL, didn't notice that. It's been 3 years since I had a cig. That's Provari is from their first run and I've never had a problem with it, they are a rock solid product.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

LOL, didn't notice that. It's been 3 years since I had a cig. That's Provari is from their first run and I've never had a problem with it, they are a rock solid product.

A year and a month since I've had a cig. Feels good, doesn't it??

And just to try and keep it on topic, those are some beautiful drop targets! Very nice work!

#187 9 years ago

Thank you.

Keep up the good work!

#188 9 years ago

Gorgeous.

1 week later
#189 9 years ago

Beautiful!
Trying to catch up without reading every post... But is there a plan for original black knight drops? I'd make that investment, these are that nice

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Beautiful!
Trying to catch up without reading every post... But is there a plan for original black knight drops? I'd make that investment, these are that nice

I have the older Williams targets and a bank thanks to a generous pinsider but we haven't started on them until the testing pans out. The modern Williams type will be first, followed by modern stern/JJP as they are very similar then it will likely be the older Williams as they are the next closest in form factor, then the older Stern/DE/lollipop style as they are a total redesign but as I said, it all depends on how well these new ones hold up.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I have the older Williams targets and a bank thanks to a generous pinsider but we haven't started on them until the testing pans out. The modern Williams type will be first, followed by modern stern/JJP as they are very similar then it will likely be the older Williams as they are the next closest in form factor, then the older Stern/DE/lollipop style as they are a total redesign but as I said, it all depends on how well these new ones hold up.

Totally understood, really proud of your work, I hope you do really well with these

3 weeks later
#192 9 years ago

Any update on this

#193 9 years ago

Not really. Just started testing the new version. I'm kind of a one man team with the help of a very good machine shop. I don't want to sell anyone something that won't last. I'll have to charge a premium for these due to the low production and I want to be confident that these targets will be durable and last a long time.

My goal is to be taking orders by Allentown in May. If this last change works out, I think we can do that. We may not have drops available to sell at Allentown but we should have some samples that people can put their hands on and start taking orders. Everyone who's emailed or PM'd me are still first on the list and will be contacted before any other orders are filled.

I know it's slow going, this is a pet project and I can't always devote the time I want to on it.

I'll try to post some new pics this week and show you the problems we are trying to solve so you all have a better understanding of why it's taking so long.

#194 9 years ago

I am still interested in a set for my system 9 Sorcerer. I believe you told me the system 11 drops are the same? I am eager to put these puppies in my Sorcerer restore.

#195 9 years ago

I think we figured out they were the same as System 7 and WPC era is the same as System 11. They are in the plan though, likely after Stern targets. The good news is that once all this testing is done, the results should apply to those targets also.

1 week later
#196 9 years ago

Got the new targets installed the other night. We had our first league night scheduled at my house and I didn't want to take a chance of screwing up the machine so I had to wait until after the league night. I played about an hour last night just shooting at them. Some pics to come soon.

#197 9 years ago

Ah man... Why did I have to click on this thread. Now I want something else for my games. Love the engineering here and I look forward to adding them to my games.

2 months later
#198 8 years ago

I'm hoping everyone hasn't given up on me yet. Both my machinist friend and I have been pretty busy over the past few months with our own things going on. I have some changes I want to make and test but we haven't been able to get together on it.

I will say that the last test set was very positive, much less wear, almost none but there is still a little room for improvement. Both of us will be pretty busy until the end of August.

I didn't end up going to Allentown because I didn't have anything to show. I had just started testing the current revision and while I have a few targets that I could let people see, they weren't in a machine and they weren't a recent revision.

I'm not giving up on this. I'm still testing targets for durability and finish. I got one more tweek I want to try and test before filling orders.

Hang in there.. won't be long now.

#199 8 years ago

Hanging.

#200 8 years ago

Still interested for my Sorcerer restore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-billet-drop-targets-im-working-on/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.