photo_3_3.jpg
roundover.jpg
CornerWear.jpg
photo_2_4.jpg
photo_2_3.jpg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
IMG_4867.JPG
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

What about stand up targets? Would love a set of polished for my T2.

I had not even thought about stand up targets. Those are typically riveted to the leaf switch, correct? Not sure if it would change the rebound or what the extra weight of aluminum would do to switch sensitivity but it's something I can look into once I'm up and going with the drop targets.

T2 does have one drop target though, correct? But I think it's a rollover drop which we haven't gotten to yet.

Now, reading all the stuff going on with Pinball Rescue I'm starting to rethink this whole thing. I'm not a company, just a fan and mediocre player who likes to tinker, If I got a letter from PPS, I'm out all my time and money. Everything is on hold for now. I'm still going to work on designs and get everything ready, but nothing will be sold without knowing for sure that I am allowed to sell. I'm not talking about the artwork here, that's pretty cut and dry, I just don't know if I'm even allowed to sell a target that works in a William's game.

#52 9 years ago

Pretty sure all drop targets and standups are nothing you have to worry about as the general design should no longer have any protection (too old and universal).

Actually, a great idea would be to design a drop that is more universal and will work in many different applications/ era of games. Then you 100% have nothing to worry about.

You can almost be sure that you will be TOLD they are protected but from experience you can not always believe that and certain companies have been known to claim rights for things that they do not own just to try and scare people off from making any pinball parts.

For stand ups >> they are typically rivetted on. It would be a great thing for the hobby if you offered these as there are some targets that are currently hard to find (i.e. congo travicom targets off the top of my head).

I also think you are underselling what you are offering and could likely increase the price a little in order to make it profitable for you.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure all drop targets and standups are nothing you have to worry about as the general design should no longer have any protection (too old and universal).
Actually, a great idea would be to design a drop that is more universal and will work in many different applications/ era of games. Then you 100% have nothing to worry about.
You can almost be sure that you will be TOLD they are protected but from experience you can not always believe that and certain companies have been known to claim rights for things that they do not own just to try and scare people off from making any pinball parts.
For stand ups >> they are typically rivetted on. It would be a great thing for the hobby if you offered these as there are some targets that are currently hard to find (i.e. congo travicom targets off the top of my head).
I also think you are underselling what you are offering and could likely increase the price a little in order to make it profitable for you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not looking to make money, but I'm also not looking to pay for people to buy them, know what I mean?

I don't mind putting some of my money in to cover the up front costs, like materials, design and testing but there has to be a point where I break even at the least even if it's after 100-200 targets. I would like to charge more, but I don't think people will buy them for more.

Some pinball machines have lots of drop targets and you can buy a reliable working plastic one for about $3 each. These 'AlumiDrops' while functional are "Bling" and for me to make a profit I would have to sell them for about $15-$18 (just an estimate at this point) and that doesn't include programming the decal and applying it to the target face. So lets say it's $20 with the decal (If I can use that graphic, which I'm pretty sure I can't without paying someone). Black Knight 2000 uses 6 drop targets so it will be $120 plus shipping, Who's gonna pay that for some shiny drop targets? The market is pretty limited.

This is my first attempt to create something like this and sell it and it's a learning experience for me and that's mostly why I'm doing it. I have had cool ideas all my life and then did nothing and watch as someone else had success with them, and this time I went for it so if I make $0 I'm fine with that, I'll make a little on the next idea and people will know I make a quality item.

I'm kinda putting all this detail and 'inside baseball' out there so people understand how much these things cost, especially on a small scale. I'm getting a HUGE discount on the design and programming compared to what someone would be paying a company that specializes in prototyping and manufacturing and it still is pretty costly for a hobbiest.

I should know more in a few weeks and I'll update, nothing has changed as far as our plan, I just need to confirm a few things before I sell them. We are still going to make them in the meantime so they are ready to go.

Thanks again to all the Pinsiders for the support and encouragement.

One last thing, in response to the first reply by CastleSteve, I bought a domain name over the weekend

#54 9 years ago

I would likely buy a 6 pack for BK2K, so I am a potential customer

I think if they hold up well and look nice then I can see many people happily installing a set in a handful of games that work well with the bling.

I commend you for the effort alone!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Who's gonna pay that for....

Ummm did you really just ask this on a pinball site? Look at all the Tron pro's with $1000+ of mods on them! (...mine included )

People have money for quality/value added mods; and actually sometimes not-so quality/value added mods

#56 9 years ago

I hear ya, I'd pay a pretty penny for that stupid lower wireform on my BK2K (that's next on my list after the targets).

Just picked up a target for the William's style rollover for system 9/11. Appears to be the exact same target with just the added rollover wedge on the top, the wedge doesn't appear to be any higher than the blade for the opto so I should be able to make them out of the same piece of stock, so that's good news!

I hope to have examples of Stern, System7 & DE targets this week, I'm going to look into Whysnow's suggestion of a more universal target, not sure it's possible, but man it would be nice, wouldn't it?

#57 9 years ago

I would love a set of these for Judge Dredd. The factory drops are blank. I'd need 3 Ds and a R and an E. Unfortunately the E target is a different style than the others as it has a subway behind it.

#58 9 years ago

PM sent.

#59 9 years ago

My advice? Charge what you have to. Don't try and pull off some trick where you have to bust your ass for 100 people just to break even. Take it from someone who's done it, managing orders and packing them and shipping them alone is a ton of work.

If it's $20 a target then it's $20 a target. People who love the idea will pay for it. Better to have less orders, make a little money for all your trouble, and have everyone happy.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I just don't know if I'm even allowed to sell a target that works in a William's game.

As long as you don't put any WMS logos or WMS artwork on them you are good.

The patents on drop targets themselves expired long ago.

-
The coolest idea in the world would be to have them waterjet or laser cut through the face so they could be backlit.............Ooooooooooooooooh
-

#61 9 years ago

that's not a bad idea. Wouldn't work to well with SOF, but great idea for other areas.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The coolest idea in the world would be to have them waterjet or laser cut through the face so they could be backlit.............Ooooooooooooooooh
-

Shhhhhh.....

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Hmmm... I've got an idea...
Wait for an announcement of the announcement to be announced sometime

#63 9 years ago

A waterjet isn't accurate enough to cut a 1/2" slab of aluminum in fine detail.
A laser maybe... but then you have kurf to deal with. I don't have access to a laser which can cut aluminum. <Sigh>

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

These really do look awesome! But I wonder, as others have said, if they will still look good down the road. Anodized red targets with aluminum cutout graphics would look cool too! Can these be clear coated or protected in some way from oxidation?

clear anodizing is an option ( process does not have to add colour ) . . .

#65 9 years ago

Laser etching after anodizing seems to me the best option as far as going nuts goes. I would think even with the extra expense that Metallica owners would line up for black targets with silver crosses.

#66 9 years ago

Very cool stuff Nexto.
My question would be regarding the sound of the pinball striking the metal drop target. Is it noticeable at all with the glass on? I would imagine it would cause more noise that striking a soft plastic drop target. Just curious. Nice job thinking outside the box!
~Steveo

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Ummm did you really just ask this on a pinball site? Look at all the Tron pro's with $1000+ of mods on them! (...mine included )
People have money for quality/value added mods; and actually sometimes not-so quality/value added mods

Quoted from Aurich:

My advice? Charge what you have to. Don't try and pull off some trick where you have to bust your ass for 100 people just to break even. Take it from someone who's done it, managing orders and packing them and shipping them alone is a ton of work.
If it's $20 a target then it's $20 a target. People who love the idea will pay for it. Better to have less orders, make a little money for all your trouble, and have everyone happy.

I tried telling him to charge $30 each citing how much we're all willing to spend on our mods without giving it much thought. As cool as these look in the machine and how well they play it seems like a fair price.

He's just too nice about it though, and wants to give the best possible deal he can without losing money (which I suppose isn't such a bad thing).

#68 9 years ago

Possibility of heating post being made in order to fire strike a color into them??

May be a cool but cheap way to make them different?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

As long as you don't put any WMS logos or WMS artwork on them you are good.
The patents on drop targets themselves expired long ago.
-
-

I already have designs for something like this. It would depend on how much material you had to take out, I don't want to do anything to compromise the structure and have something bend or dent.

Quoted from Aurich:

Laser etching after anodizing seems to me the best option as far as going nuts goes. I would think even with the extra expense that Metallica owners would line up for black targets with silver crosses.

Anodizing has been a bit of a problem. Unless I want to do it myself, which is possible, there really isn't any way to do it until I get to quantities over 500 pcs each color. We have a finish that will produce a similar if not better result and we can still engrave it to reveal the silver aluminum. I am going to offer black and Metallica targets are near the top of the list.

Laser etching is something I am looking into, but it's tricky because of the mirror surface.

I know it seems like it's taking a while, but I'm not going to sell them unless I'm sure they will last forever and look amazing.

During initial testing we noticed some wear on the face, and we expected it, it was actually less than we thought it would be. We have already made changes in the design and the finish will also play into this. We are creating a testing rig to beat the crap out of it to ensure durability will not be an issue and the target should look as good as new for a very long time.

Right now we are testing function. Making sure the target drops and resets without any issues over a long period of time. Just because you make a copy of something that works out of a different material does not mean it will function the same. Aluminum has different properties than plastic and the target banks were never designed to use a metal target. We have already made 2 design changes regarding this and are in the process of testing.

Quoted from steve-o:

Very cool stuff Nexto.
My question would be regarding the sound of the pinball striking the metal drop target. Is it noticeable at all with the glass on? I would imagine it would cause more noise that striking a soft plastic drop target. Just curious. Nice job thinking outside the box!
~Steveo

This here will be a matter of opinion. Yes they sound different and are slightly louder than a plastic target. The sound comes not from the ball hitting the target, but the target hitting the return plate when it's pulled down. We will plan to include a dampener with each target that can be installed if the owner wants to. I like the sound it makes. It kinda sounds like when someone from a 70's movie would pull out a switch blade. It's a cool satisfying sound, but with the dampener on, it's about the same as a standard target.

I know everyone wants these soon, so do I, but I want them to function properly and last a lifetime. If I am going to ask people to pay a premium for a simple drop target then they should get a premium drop target. I hope to have these shipping out in a couple different colors by Halloween. Stay tuned.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Possibility of heating post being made in order to fire strike a color into them??
May be a cool but cheap way to make them different?

I have no idea what you are talking about, but if it involves fire I am interested in hearing more.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

My question would be regarding the sound of the pinball striking the metal drop target.

I would tune each target, so they would sound like a doorbell as they fell.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I want them to function properly and last a lifetime.

Durability would be the primary reason I'd be interested. Never know, you might tap into the operator's pockets too if they are super durable.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten my targets out to you, had a bit of a medical scare over the last four days.. will try and remember to pull them aside tonight.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I know it seems like it's taking a while, but I'm not going to sell them unless I'm sure they will last forever and look amazing.

My Star Trek project that I just announce the other week? I started teasing it in February.

Things take time, you're doing it right, don't stress it.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I tried telling him to charge $30 each citing how much we're all willing to spend on our mods without giving it much thought. As cool as these look in the machine and how well they play it seems like a fair price.
He's just too nice about it though, and wants to give the best possible deal he can without losing money (which I suppose isn't such a bad thing).

I think the people who take the initial risk on me and my idea should get a good deal. If I have to take a loss on the first couple batches in order to get them out there so people can try them and give some feedback then I think it's a good investment. After that the price will likely go up some so that I can make enough to buy more materials, create more artwork and support more types of targets.

Like I said, I don't mind charging people a premium as long as they are getting a premium item and feel like they got their money's worth. I can't wait to see these in other pinball machines. Thanks again for all the support, ideas, suggestions and encouragement.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would tune each target, so they would sound like a doorbell as they fell.

Sick... Stop giving me ideas, I got enough to do already!

But you did just give me an idea to make custom chimes in the future!

#76 9 years ago

Just stumbled on this thread.

AWESOME!!!!!

Awesome in every way! I SO miss working in a machine shop

Chris

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I have no idea what you are talking about, but if it involves fire I am interested in hearing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)

not sure of exact alloy you are using but this is the general idea

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)
not sure of exact alloy you are using but this is the general idea

6061 aluminum currently. unfortunately you can't temper it. Stay tuned, I have color coming and I think you will really like it.

#79 9 years ago

I've got another question that just came to mind: What would be your opinion on the pinballs physical condition/lifecycle due to striking a metal target? I know that designers do their utmost best to place softer materials for the ball to impact (rubber and plastic for the most part) or is this a non-issue due to the absorption of ball force of the spring that holds the target in place? Thanks!
~Steveo

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

I've got another question that just came to mind: What would be your opinion on the pinballs physical condition/lifecycle due to striking a metal target? I know that designers do their utmost best to place softer materials for the ball to impact (rubber and plastic for the most part) or is this a non-issue due to the absorption of ball force of the spring that holds the target in place? Thanks!
~Steveo

non-issue IMHO since the ball hits the metal trough each time it drains already.

Also, pretty sure steel ball bearings are harder than aluminum drops. Not sure, but probably a mohs or rockwell?? scale that says?

#81 9 years ago

This is pretty cool.

A suggestion... anyone doing this might want to replace the hardened steel washers with plastic ones (or maybe brass) to reduce friction and to eliminate possible wear on the drop target.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

~Steveo

Whysnow is correct, the steel ball is harder than the target, and it's smooth, if anything, it would polish the ball.

Quoted from GLModular:

This is pretty cool.
A suggestion... anyone doing this might want to replace the hardened steel washers with plastic ones (or maybe brass) to reduce friction and to eliminate possible wear on the drop target.

One step ahead of you, That's very close to what we are testing now, but it's not the washers that are the problem.

#83 9 years ago

8 stand up targets please.

#84 9 years ago

8 stand up targets please.

My machine has not stand up targets, other than the drawbridge I guess, but when you buy these, do they come with the switch attached, or do you rivet them on. If I made them, I would have to have the correct switch for each machine right? They aren't universal correct?

It seems doable, machine specific themed drops would be cool.

#85 9 years ago

Ya, they come fully assembled....there has got to be a way around that. I wonder if I could rivet them back on myself...I have a rivet gun at work. Hmmmm.....

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Laser etching is something I am looking into, but it's tricky because of the mirror surface.

Laser etching use CerMark:
http://www.thermark.com/content/view/28/79/
Or a Fiber Laser

#87 9 years ago

Ya, they come fully assembled....there has got to be a way around that. I wonder if I could rivet them back on myself...I have a rivet gun at work. Hmmmm.....

If I get to where I am making them, I will make them assembled as a replacement part with a factory style rivet (not a pop rivet). I wouldn't want someone to damage it, or their machine trying to get it put together. I'll keep stand up targets in mind as we go, hopefully it will be something we can do.

Quoted from Zitt:

Laser etching use CerMark:
http://www.thermark.com/content/view/28/79/
Or a Fiber Laser

Can you recommend a laser etcher, preferably something small?

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Can you recommend a laser etcher, preferably something small?

Every trophy shop has a few lasers than can do aluminum, if you just want to see how it looks before buying a whole unit.

#89 9 years ago

I have a laser etcher - 40W CO2... in my home "mod" room. I sat fire to it about two years ago (unattended cut) and it hasn't been the same sense. Mine is a ULS-25e I got used... and loved it before the fire. ULS has some great printer drivers making it easy.

Techshop.ws has 3 laser cutters in the local to Austin shop. I go there to do my laser cutting now. They don't appear to have one local to NY.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a fslaser.com laser... but I have zero experience with them.

#90 9 years ago

My guess is that the aluminum drop target will wear out the drop target stop rail much quicker that the plastic drop targets would.

#91 9 years ago

You could probably laser etch a 1mm deep X 1mm wide (roughly) grove on the face of the target with 1, 2, or more tails running strait down to the bottom, in the pattern/design/logo you choose, at which point you could probably fill the etchings with a colored, or clear impact resistant resin, and illuminate from the bottom with LED.

#92 9 years ago

You can't laser etch Aluminum with "signshop" quality lasers. You'd have to go to the KW range to do that. CO2 lasers will not vaporize aluminum as it does on Acrylic.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My guess is that the aluminum drop target will wear out the drop target stop rail much quicker that the plastic drop targets would.

You're saying that you've actually seen plastic drop targets wear out the steel drop target bracket?

#94 9 years ago

if you did stand up targets you would have to find a way to make them colored. I know a lot of games that get a heavy pounding on the standups.

Maybe try transparent aluminum?

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Maybe try transparent aluminum?

Oh you did NOT go there... lol...

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You can't laser etch Aluminum with "signshop" quality lasers. You'd have to go to the KW range to do that. CO2 lasers will not vaporize aluminum as it does on Acrylic.

I just had some trophy plates laser photo engraved for the idiots at work.

They did our company logo, picture and the winner's names.

#97 9 years ago

Vid - is the mark black or white?
I've laser etched aluminum "lightly" at full power. your not going to get a 1mm etch depth with a signshop laser. The laser basically turns the aluminum to AlO2... which is a little "lighter" than the base metal. To get black you either need a fiber laser or the CerMark I pointed to before.

Example:
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75273
which I etched with my ~20W CO2 laser back in 2001. You can see that the mark is very subtle ... and not black. I did not use CerMark in this application. It was basically a full power mark.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Vid - is the mark black or white?

A light black, like charcoal before you light it.

#99 9 years ago

I'm looking at "light black" and laughing.

How about "so dark grey that it passes for black"?

#100 9 years ago

Thinking about something like this.
http://www.thermark.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-billet-drop-targets-im-working-on/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.