Socket Wiring (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Lamp config 6803 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Eight Ball Champ. I have 3 playfield feature lights that are constantly on, even when the connector is not connected to the mpu. I have tried new sockets and new diodes (connected correctly, have replaced a few others and they are working fine) and they still are always on. Specifically the Extra Ball (Q70/J10-7), Right Outlane (Q28/J10-6), and Saucer 8-Ball (Q28/J10-6). The lights for the rollovers are always on but I believe these are supposed to be. Any suggestions?

#2 5 years ago

Rollover lamps stay on, you are correct there.
Right Out and Saucer 8 are on the same connector, one is on Phase A, the other is Phase B,

are these lamps accidentally wired to the GI connector?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Not connected to GI, unless there is a short somewhere. If it was shorted wouldn't this effect all the feature lamps, not just a few?
I think it might be the way I hooked up the new sockets. I had to go #47 sockets since I couldn't find any #555 available. This is how I have them hooked up right now. I am still trying to figure the zero cross thing out. I am getting twice the voltage I should be getting on the A and B power. I have both sides hooked up the same. Should the positive and negative be swapped on one side? Or should the diode be swapped on one side? I really appreciate this.

Lamp config 6803 (resized).jpgLamp config 6803 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cpbassett:

If it was shorted wouldn't this effect all the feature lamps, not just a few?

Not if it the wire associated with J10-6 crossed with the GI, it would only affect lamps on J10-6. i.e. the two lamps your having issues with. However I think it would blowing a fuse.

I think your diodes are backwards... here is an image from my current 6803 Bally Atlantis...
According to my Atlantis manual, the GI is 6.3VAC but all the controlled lamps are 14VDC.

The later 6803 manuals had a good trouble shooting guide, kinda sounds like what your dealing with.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 5 years ago

I figured it out, with the help of your pic provided. I was going by what someone else had used for a #47 socket. Which were slightly different then the ones I had bought. The ones already installed, the bracket was attached to the ground side. The ones I bought the bracket doesn't go to anything. So I had my diode going from the bracket to positive instead of the negative. I was connecting the A/B power to the negative side instead of the bracket, so the diode wasn't doing anything other then creating the short causing it to light all the time. Stupid mistake on my part, but at least it is right now. Now to go through all the SCR's which I blew up...LOL. And again....Thanks for the help!

Socket Wiring (resized).jpgSocket Wiring (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Glad you got it figured out, do you already know how to test the SCRs?

#7 5 years ago

I believe I do, I have changed a few already.... I'll reach back if I have any other questions though if you don't mind....

#8 5 years ago

Did you know I've made a Tech Chart for Eight Ball Champ?
There is also an entry @ Pinwiki.com ....
Here are the links....
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Eight_Ball_Champ_Tech_Chart.pdf
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Eight_Ball_Champ
At Pinwiki you can click on the SCR column to sort the list or use the lamp description as I entered the info.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#9 5 years ago

Yes, I have it. It is awesome! Nice work. Did not know you could sort on the pinwiki.com. Nice option!

3 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Everything is up 100% and running beautifully....Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated!!!

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-6803-playfield-lights-always-on-even-when-not-connected-to-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.