(Topic ID: 198736)

Solution to Data East Speaker Hum, EMI Filter?

By alistaircg

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EMI Filter (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

An old technician told me that if I remove the EMI Filter from where the power goes into the Data East machine it stops the hum feedback so common on these machines.

Your opinions please ?

what does the EMI Filter even do ?

EMI Filter (resized).jpegEMI Filter (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

The advice is, cut the the 2 black wires on the Emi and join them together, also the other side which is white join with the Blue wire

#3 6 years ago

The EMI filter is to remove incoming interference noise from the mains supply. That would be noise such as fan motors, florescent lighting, etc...things outside of the game. It doubt it would help any noise generated inside the game to bypass it, but it's easy enough to try. I would have experimented, but mine are too quiet

#4 6 years ago

I plan to put everything around a UPS to clean up the power and keep the power consistent to avoid "brown outs "

thanks, i will give it a try and revert

#5 6 years ago

Just in case you didn't know. There's a whole thread on ideas and solutions

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

An old technician told me that if I remove the EMI Filter from where the power goes into the Data East machine it stops the hum feedback so common on these machines.
Your opinions please ?
what does the EMI Filter even do ?

No -- this is not the source of noise. Its job is to actually remove electrical noise. Just not the noise you are trying to remove.
The power EMI filter's sole function in life is to get the pinball machine through FCC testing. Period.
To get electrical noise (solenoids, etc) from feeding back to power mains - this is added to block electrical noise from getting back into main power (which will cause FCC to fail your device). Side benefit, though, is that it equally blocks electrical noise from the main power from entering the machine as well.
They had to go through similar conducted and radiated EMI testing to get approval for various European countries as well.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Just in case you didn't know. There's a whole thread on ideas and solutions
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure

yep, been there, read everything, tried everything, thanks though for the thought.

The new rottendog board made it worse

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solution-to-data-east-speaker-hum-emi-filter?hl=alistaircg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.