Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015Nov15_028.jpg
20151113_111520-1.jpg
20151113_111633-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Solder_Splash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So I am working on my brother's Williams Olympic Hockey. I've had it for several months and one of the last issues I'm trying to fix is the animated puck behind the backglass. Doesn't always reset and advance properly. Upon disassembly, I find the spring loaded fingers are badly worn and have resulted in a groove being worn into the contacts on the wiper plate. The grooves seem to be causing the mechanism to bind and not function properly.
So I have two questions.
Where can I find replace mentioned fingers (if that's what they're called)?
What (if anything ) can be done about the grooves?
20151113_111633-1.jpg20151113_111633-1.jpg
20151113_111520-1.jpg20151113_111520-1.jpg

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you can't find a replacement board, you can fill the grooves with silver solder (not regular solder, silver solder). Heat the rivet and let the silver solder flow into the groove to fill it. Might need a bit of finish filing, but after a couple you'll get the hang of it.
Depending on how they're attached though, you may also be able to use a small flat blade screwdriver and rotate them 90 degrees, so the grooves aren't directly in the path. I'd still fill them though.
Then some SuperLube after cleaning the whole board up.
Round off the ends of the fingers, and probably can still use them.
Otherwise, replacements might be had from Pinball Resource.

Thanks for the reply.
I have no idea where I'd find a replacement board. Think I might try to recondition this one.
Not a lot of experience with silver solder.
Looked out on eBay and saw many different types of silver content, core type, etc.
Any recommendations ?
Thanks again!

#6 8 years ago

So is it a rosin core type or a solid core ?
Looking online and not too sure what would work best for this application. I see listings silver bearing solder . Is that what I need?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

If you cant fix that board, you mite try Rich in Cali.
He advertises on MrPinball, says he has tons of EM parts.

I just sent him an email. Hopefully he will be able to help.
Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Solder_Splash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solid-state-guy-needs-help-with-an-em?tu=Solder_Splash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.