New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 83509)

Solid or Stranded wire

By zug1619

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I am replacing the wire on my EOS switches to my flippers. I plan on using 18 AWG. Does it matter if its solid or stranded? I see stranded is currently there so that's my plan...I'm just curious.

When does one use one or the other?

Also, any harm in using a lower AWG, like 16? Again just curious.

Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

Use stranded. It's more flexible and less likely to break and create open circuits. No problem using a lower AWG (fatter wire) other than it being less convenient and more expensive.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the logic and fast reply!

#4 6 years ago

Solid wire does not hold as much current as stranded of the same gauge. Less surface area. Use stranded.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Solid wire does not hold as much current as stranded of the same gauge

Stay thirsty, my friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Solid wire does not hold as much current as stranded of the same gauge. Less surface area. Use stranded.

True, for AC. For DC, the skin effect doesn't apply. The era of game makes a difference here as to what's used. If it's DC, though, it's a new game that won't be actually running much current through the EOS switch.

Regardless, the answer is still "use stranded".

#7 6 years ago

SealClubber, I am quite few years out of physics, but you are talking about "skin effect", correct? I thought that really only started to matter at higher frequencies, well above the levels in a pinball machine.

I thought at pinball machine frequencies the sectional area of the wire was all that really mattered and since stranded had gaps between the strands it actually took a larger gauge stranded wire to give the same load carrying ability compared to solid.

BTW, none of this matters for the OP question. It is only my trying to clarify a memory. I always use stranded for pinball work except for on boards when I am making/replacing traces because it is easier if the wire stays bent the ways I laid it onto the board, but we are talking about some very thin wire for that type of work.

Edit: wow, I am late to my reply. Looks like others commented on skin effect before I could post my question.

#8 6 years ago

Use stranded because it is less likely to break from mechanical vibrations.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

True, for AC. For DC, the skin effect doesn't apply.

Don't forget the part where DC signals have AC ripple if they were rectified from an AC source!

Or ignore it. Whatever makes life easier. Certainly has no bearing on this application.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from zug1619:

Also, any harm in using a lower AWG, like 16?

16ga. is larger than 18ga. Wire gauges "the larger the number the smaller the wire"

#11 6 years ago

Functionally it should not be a problem using a larger wire (smaller gauge number) for any pinball application. But the wire may not fit into the desired location/things can get cramped and making a good joint can become hard.

This can become especially true if you a have one small wire and one huge wire. It is very easy to lose track of the small wire in joint and have that small wire not solder well into the joint. (like on the bottom of a playfield, cramped in a tight spot with bad light, while you are working with your head turned a funny way. Which seems to happen often working on pinball machines)

#12 6 years ago

Stranded wire is more flexible, easier to work with and takes solder much better than solid.

1 week later
    #13 6 years ago

real world stuff kept me off the site for about a week

Thanks to all who posted!

#14 6 years ago

deleted, others answered the skin effect question already....

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

Don't forget the part where DC signals have AC ripple if they were rectified from an AC source!
    Or ignore it. Whatever makes life easier. Certainly has no bearing on this application.

Except for the fact that ripple on DC isn't AC. Its a slightly varying DC voltage (since we are all being extra picky in this thread! )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 209.99
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.99
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 93.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside