You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDB_LogicPowerA1.png
SDB_LogicPower_TroubleShoot1.png
#1 1 year ago

Ok so here's the poop:

A friend calls me up to look at his EBD because his left flipper stopped working suddenly. When you press the left flipper button, nothing happens but if you manually actuate the flipper and hold the button, it holds. Clearly an EOS issue so I fixed that and everything works fine. Since I am there, I decide to clean and wax his machine, change his old rubber and a few burned bulbs (no LEDs on this one).

Anyway, I button the game up and go to give it a test play...and the coils are all dead. No flippers, no outhole kicker, no drop target bank reset, nothing. I turn the game off and check all the fuses as good, each test under the playfield and in the lower cabinet. I open the backbox and check the fuse on the driver board, also good. Next I use a test wire and ground some of the transistors to see if the coils fire and indeed they do.

I turn the game off and back on, press the start button and the game fires up like normal. Everything working! I'm confused as to why its working all of a sudden. So I play a test game and everything is fine. Turn the game off and back on, try again. Nothing works. Same as before, game starts but coils all dead. Since I had the backglass out, I grounded a transistor again and again, it fired testing good, and immediately all the coils start working again and the ball kicks into the shooter lane. I play another quick game and turn it off and back on. Start a game, coils dead, same as before. Just like before I ground a random transistor on the driver board, the coil fires and the game works normal immediately after.

At this point I was out of time and really had to leave so I told him I would think on it and see what I could figure out. So I closed it up again, I restarted the game and tested again, expecting the coils to be dead again but to my surprise it started a game and kept working (without me having to ground any transistors). He kept the game on the rest of the night so he could play and it continued to work fine. The next morning he texted me to say that he turned it off that night and in the morning the coils were not working again. So, I need to get back there to troubleshoot it again soon but I really don't know where to start. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

Connectors

#3 1 year ago

The MPU is an Alltek Ultimate MPU board so its connectors are good. I have already re-flowed the solder on all the connectors on the driver board. It is an older Stern board and had several cold solder joints so I did the whole board. This was before fixing the initial flipper issue.

If it was a connector issue, wouldn't my manual grounding of the transistors not caused the coils to fire? I could pull the driver board again and double check my work but I feel like that's not it. I dunno. I will probably be "shot-gunning" this issue and trying everything anyway. Thank you for the suggestion.

#4 1 year ago

Check to make sure all the fuse clips are holding nice and snug. They get tired with age and don’t work so good. Also make sure the metal caps on the fuses are nice and shiny.

#5 1 year ago

when the coils stop working check and see if you have about 43VDC at any coil lug that has the banded end of the diode nearest to it.

#6 1 year ago

I did check the coils for power when they were not working and they did show about 43/44v DC at the lugs.

#7 1 year ago

I second the fuse holders. Had the same issue with a xenon - random symptoms.

Old Bally fuse holders are a known problem. Replace them.

#8 1 year ago

There's pins in the wiring harness too.

Reflowing is fine but if the plating on the pins is gone...

Make sure your .100 connector on the sdb has a good jumper between the plus five and the transistor section.
Or do the mod on the test points to tie them together permanently.

#9 1 year ago

Sounds like connectivity on the +5VDC to the solenoid drive circuitry is failing. All coils will not activate when this happens. Grounding the driver transistors still works in this case because you're manually completing the coils ground path. Check the crimp terminals on the brown-green wire at SDB J3 connector pin 13 to pin 25.

SDB_LogicPower_TroubleShoot1.pngSDB_LogicPower_TroubleShoot1.png
SDB_LogicPowerA1.pngSDB_LogicPowerA1.png

#10 1 year ago

Okay! Thanks for the great suggestions here. I will be out working on this game again today or tomorrow and will report back with findings. I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge. Standby for the update.

#11 1 year ago

Quench has it correct above. The jumper in the connector can be any color as they used what was lying around for that.

7 months later
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from AdamPinball:

Okay! Thanks for the great suggestions here. I will be out working on this game again today or tomorrow and will report back with findings. I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge. Standby for the update.

AdamPinball find anything?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solenoid-issue-on-eight-ball-deluxe?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.