image.jpg
photo.JPG 3.JPG
Sys_4_Power_Wiring.jpg
image-860.jpg
image.jpg
image-204.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Everything is disconnected,all the boards,coin door and displays.
Still connected are the transformer inputs and the single red and white that goes to the solenoid bridge rectifier,which is new,the old one tested fine.
Still blows.
I tested all the coils and their diodes,2 days work.
The only time does'nt blow is when I disconnect the smaller (4000mfd40wvdc) power supply capacitor.
The problem happened when the machine was idle in attract mode..,I noticed the FLASH light,which is on the solenoid circuit, wasn't working.
Thanks for the suggestions on my other posts regarding this machine.
Please help,I'm going nuts and its taken hours and hours of work and I'm no further forward!

#2 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Is that cap shorted? It doesn't belong there anyway, someone added that.

#4 9 years ago

Testing today at work,I was wondering why it's there,I don't have a schematic for that section

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Is that cap shorted? It doesn't belong there anyway, someone added that.

Remove the smaller can cap and replace the larger one.
This would be a good start. Someone added the smaller cap to overcome a game reset or perhaps this very problem. Looks like a Band-Aid approach.

Great Plains Electronics has the cap you need:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=67

Manual for Flash:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/871/Williams_1979_Flash_Manual.pdf

#6 9 years ago

Damn I did'nt think to replace the bigger one,that looks factory fitted...I immediately blamed the non standard one and wondered what it was doing there.I bought a new one on Mouser and had to build up a £50 order to avoid £12 delivery,shoulda just bought the biggun as well!
Thanks for your response guys...,I've been on this for nearly three weeks!

#7 9 years ago

Also I took the cap to work to test properly and the proper DMM has been stolen!!..

#8 9 years ago

I managed to get her going,the cap was dodgy,bought a small one £10,shoulda bought the big one they come in around £35...,live and learn.
Sadly the credit display 00 doesn't work now,so I cant get into the settings which are set on factory,no freeplay for god sake..

#9 9 years ago

The big cap has nothing to do with the solenoid circuit, it's part of the power supply for the cpu controlled lamps.

#10 9 years ago

The whole power supply area is suspicious and I will look into that once I get the damn 00 display working so I can get into the settings...,so annoying!
I got my work cut out for me thats for sure.
Thanks for the input guys...,I need it lol!

#11 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
Just don't look right to me...

#12 9 years ago

Those 2 fuses on the right were added, that's a good upgrade, Williams should have put those in at the factory. My best guess is that extra cap was added to boost power to the flippers and solenoids, possibly to compensate for a defect somewhere else, I've never seen that before.

Here is a wiring diagram.

Sys_4_Power_Wiring.jpgSys_4_Power_Wiring.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Thanks mwsmith,shes up and running now so I guess Ill just leave it,I wasn't thinking straight when I thought I couldn't get into the settings due to the display not working.
The credit 00 display doesn't work but the ball in play 00 does,I can live with that.
I need to do loads of re-pinning but at least she works!.

#14 9 years ago

I found the same set up in my royal flush photo.JPG 3.JPGphoto.JPG 3.JPG

#15 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
I put the new PSB in(which is nice),but I notice the flipper 28vdc isn't being used but the flippers work what's going on here?...

#16 9 years ago

Raff that looks normal to me..!

#17 9 years ago

Power to the flippers on Flash does not go through the PSB but directly to the flippers. There is a fuse under the playfield for them. Normal.

viperrwk

#18 9 years ago

Thanks Viper

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solenoid-fuse-still-blowing-on-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.