• Latest reply 3 years ago by Bigguy66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0123 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

On my Shaq Attaq I replaced the solenoid for the top upkicker but failed to notice that I had soldered on backwards the two solenoid wires. Hence, the solenoid no longer works after turning power on to the game. The solenoid reads over 15 ohms and the diode reads 0.1 when testing on ohms. The switch for the upper kicker works. The upkicker's fuse located at F24 was blown and subsequently replaced. Last but not least I discovered that the C12 diode on the driver board was blown as shown on the attached photo. Am I correct in assuming that the blown C12 diode is the source of my problem? I see no other blown components on the driver board. All other solenoids are operable.
Thanks in advanced.

IMG_0123 (resized).JPGIMG_0123 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2 3 years ago

Does the coil have a diode? If so, when the wires were reversed on the coil, it probably blew out the diode so that coil diode should be replaced first before anything else.

Is that leftmost transistor on the board connected to the C12 blown cap? If so, look in the manual for the solenoid chart for the upkicker and verify it's associated with leftmost transistor. Can't be sure from your pic, but it might be Q1.

Assuming Q1. If upkicker goes to Q1 in solenoid chart, then replace C12 first and test Q1 using a voltmeter in diode test. Look up transistor test method on pinwiki site. Replace Q1 if it tests bad. If Q1 tests good, then power up and verify upkicker works. It's possible C12 and/or fuse might blow again. If that were to happen replace both C12 and Q1 at the same time and test again.

#3 3 years ago

I think you'll find that's a capacitor that has exploded. Pull the board and check the traces on the other side. They may be cooked as well. Also test the transistors associated with the coil. They may need replacing also.

#4 3 years ago

The capacitor appeared to have been broken by man handling. It had no relation to the problem. The Q4 transistor was shorted and replaced.

Thanks to all who replied.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solenoid-for-top-upkicker-no-longer-works and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.