(Topic ID: 273278)

Solenoid Board Failure Diagnostic help (aka the smoke got out)

By Clnilsen

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

964619471.png
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
61677665614__6D50B7CB-6620-42BE-A6F4-6953DF5F2DC3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I am close to finished restoring my Bally Playboy, and finally got around to plugging it in for the first time this morning. I believed this machine to be working when purchased, though I don't know first hand (I was not there when it was purchased, and it was already partially torn down when I got it). I did have to replace the Transformer board, as it was all melted from the PO (I used an Nvram/Weebly Board as replacement).

When I initially plugged it in Lights came on, no displays, and about 10 seconds in significant smoke came out of the backbox!

Looking into it, it *looks* like pin 10 on the SOLENOID DRIVER J3 plug of the Solenoid driver board overheated and melted the plug, and that pin appears to be to traced to the transformer Pin17 of the TRANSFORMER J3 Plug The transformer plug is fine and shows no ill use.The smoke got out hereThe smoke got out hereBack of Solenoid Driver Board, where J3 Plug goesBack of Solenoid Driver Board, where J3 Plug goes

One Thing I'll note at the outset is I probably should have put more stock in the old Tech's taped note on it saying "No Power to Displays", but I honestly didn't think it was bad, since it booted before pickup. Maybe he knew somethingMaybe he knew something

So, what I'm trying to figure out is if (a) I just replace the board with an Altek one (which I'm fine doing) and I should be fine, or (b) if there might be something else going on here and might cause a (potentially catastrophic) failure with a new board as well.

One thing I just noticed when I was rechecking my wiring was on the new TRANSFORMER board J3 plug, I had the 2 Orange wires for Pin8 and Pin 10 swapped. I note from the schematics now Pin 8 solid orange is supposed to go to Pin 12 on the J3 plug for the solenoid board. All are Solid orange. Not sure if this makes any difference.

Also, any ideas on sources for a replacement plug?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Damn, that means the general illumination 7.3vac was being fed to the +5 regulator and the 12vdc that should go to the +5 regulator was going to the GI. Not sure what kind of damage that would do, but be certain to get those wires in the correct spots before proceeding.
Looking at the schematic, they are both labeled "70" which means orange wire w/no stripe...so it's easy to see how a mistake could be made [quoted image]

Ugh! I also put in a new Alltek light board. Hopefully I didn't fry that too.

#7 3 years ago

Ordered a New Alltek Solenoid board, since I didn't want to futz with an unknown previously messed with board. Any recommendations on how to start this up for the first time?

I'm thinking something like this:
Step 1) just unplug everything and check something on the Transformer board first (not sure what)
Step 2) Add the Solenoid driver second and check something
Step 3) Plug in MPU/Light board

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated to not cause any more damage!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solenoid-board-failure-diagnostic-help-aka-the-smoke-got-out?tu=Clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.